VN elements

Totodile

What's your favorite part of a VN  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that a VN loses it's interest if the CGs are not great even if it has a great premise and storyline?

• Yes it does, i would like some i candy with that route
    • If it has tits i'm satisfied
    • Nope, i read it for the plot so CGs aren't my main concern
    • I would love if it did have good CGs but i wouldn't cast it aside if the story was great.

This poll is closed to new votes

I feel that a VN should have great visuals hence the term VISUAL NOVEL but if the plot is good enough i'll try it out for sure, after all, it does have novel in the name. Novels like AIR with -not even close to great imo- graphics but enjoyable enough story manage to keep my attention somehow. I do hate cringe worthy eroge scenes as much as the next guy though. :wacko:

Bad CGs and artwork are a sizable minus for me, but I won't completely dismiss a game on that basis. The most important element to me is the narrative, something that pretty artwork can help better convey. I'd much rather play an ugly game with a great story than a terrible one that looks good.

I don't care much about the visuals while reading a vn. It may or may not have some impact afterwards but it is just a plus making it slightly better. Nothing that would change my view on a VN besides "It has this this and this... oh... and the visuals are nice..."

I'm more of a story guy myself, but honestly, I've started growing accustomed to seeing decent to above average character sprites and CGs.  If the art was absolutely horrendous I might have second thoughts about it, but if the story was good enough I wouldn't drop it.  Like Life said, if the art is great it's really just a small bonus; I only really care about it being decent, and if it's terrible or amazing, my opinion only swings slightly to one side or the other.  Most non-nukiges try to stand out with their storylines, anyway, but I can always appreciate well-drawn CGs, backgrounds and character sprites.

Many folks say they would not drop a VN with bad art if the story was good. But would people pick up the game to begin with if the art is below, or even at average? Even in other threads, we sometimes state examples of games that turned out great even though the art is subpar. The common point is that they are from Japan and are really hyped. Those are two other factors to take into consideration as well. They are perhaps even more important than good art.

For me, it would be a lie if I claimed good art did nothing for me. However, recently, I am looking more for art that dares to be a little different, even if it is something as simple as being pixelated :).

Many folks say they would not drop a VN with bad art if the story was good. But would people pick up the game to begin with if the art is below, or even at average? Even in other threads, we sometimes state examples of games that turned out great even though the art is subpar. The common point is that they are from Japan and are really hyped. Those are two other factors to take into consideration as well. They are perhaps even more important than good art.

For me, it would be a lie if I claimed good art did nothing for me. However, recently, I am looking more for art that dares to be a little different, even if it is something as simple as being pixelated :).

I get what you are saying but i would rather if a character's mouth wasn't 50 feet above the chin ya'know. Some VNs take the whole "Different" part of it to a whole new level 

There obviously needs to be a balance between good CG art and good a story. Personally, I would never drop a VN based on the quality of the graphic aspect alone.

A decent story is a must even if the visuals are terrible. Having said that, I would be disappointed if I encountered a visual novel that had a great story but bad art. Doesn't a great story deserve great art?

Maybe i wont like it immediately and it will take time, however in the end i will nevver drop a vn because the cgs or arts were bad. 

Yeah, I find that is the case as well. Given some time with a visual novel, I usually either start to find a VNs artwork charming in its own way or at least I'm able to better stomach it.

To game makers, visuals are far more important than story, if a game has bad art, no one will be bother to even pick them up, let alone dropping in the middle. There is a reason they are called bishoujo games.

I wouldn't say it is far more important in terms of enjoyability. From a marketing stand point maybe, but if a game is going to keep my attention, short or long, it needs to have a decent narrative. In my mind, visuals complement the game's story, helping us better visualize what's going and creating an impression for us so that we don't have to solely rely on our imagination. If it's helping us imagine some shitty, poorly conceived scenario then I don't really see the point.

Visual novels have two important factors - storyline (aka writing) and visuals. You can't completely ditch art in visual novels, as it's an irreplaceable part that makes them the genre they are. That said, there are games with worse and better graphics; art in overall only serves as an addition to the text and that shouldn't be forgotten, but impressive graphics might make a game a lot more enjoyable on so many levels.

A bad 720p VN can look better than a good 480p one.

Hahaha, NO. Resolution does not save bad art.

I wouldn't say it is far more important in terms of enjoyability. From a marketing stand point maybe, but if a game is going to keep my attention, short or long, it needs to have a decent narrative. In my mind, visuals complement the game's story, helping us better visualize what's going and creating an impression for us so that we don't have to solely rely on our imagination. If it's helping us imagine some shitty, poorly conceived scenario then I don't really see the point.

That's what trials are for, basically. But people naturally look for "good" games that excel in both story and art, art is what people see at first, and it may turn off many at first glance if it is bad. There are usually no second chances unless it turned to be a hidden gem, some time after its release.

cg is important but its not the end of the world if a visual novel has bad or even no cg, look at narcissu side 1 great story a few really decent cg and the rest are badly shopped stock photos. but i still loved that story alot and look forward to reading side 2. 

cg is important but its not the end of the world if a visual novel has bad or even no cg, look at narcissu side 1 great story a few really decent cg and the rest are badly shopped stock photos. but i still loved that story alot and look forward to reading side 2. 

That might lead to a related discussion, actually. Narcissu 1 went for minimalist graphics. Narcissu 2 had more CGs (though to be fair it was longer). Eventually, we went to Narcissu for the PSP, which returned to the format of letting the art take up most of that screen space. This pattern possibly took space in response to players' reactions and preferences. Perhaps that goes to show the perceived value of art, not only the quality, but also in quantity.

Perhaps that goes to show the perceived value of art, not only the quality, but also in quantity.

i gotta admit that more CG emotions actually appeal to me. When a character can only go from angry to blush then back to normal that's quite a putoff.

I just find it strange that people don't give much care about visual in a VISUAL novel.

Visual is not everything for me, but yeah, if it's suck, then it's likely that I will drop it soon or later (except that it has incredible story or such)

While I'm a fan of anime and that could have been how I was introduced to VNs, I'm also a huge fan of interactive fiction and old-fashioned isometric RPGs. Both of these genres aren't known for their fantastic art. I'm also a lover of books and love to write myself, so the written word is much more important to me. That being said I enjoy good art as much as the next man, it's not necessary for me though.

What I DO find strange is option 2 still having ZERO votes. I think some people are fibbing...