Halp! I Have No Idea What's Wrong with My Computer

Yeah, mine's just the stock one that came with my i5-4670k.

Anyway, thank you to everyone that answered my thread.  Sorry it was something so obvious.  Like I said, this is the first computer I've ever built, so I'm not exactly used to maintaining it yet.  Seriously, though, I doubt I would have figured it out if I had asked somewhere else of just waited for answers at my Tom's thread.  You guys are awesome.

That's a pretty common mistake. You always think it is the end of the world when something happens. I did the same mistake with my water cooling system. My CPU went from 35 degree to 70 degree. If I didn't manually controlled my fans my computer would've died with a nice blue screen. :)

I just cleaned the filter of the water cooling system and everything went back to normal. I am always thinking the worst possible scenario when something happens to my baby I made myself.

That's a pretty common mistake. You always think it is the end of the world when something happens. I did the same mistake with my water cooling system. My CPU went from 35 degree to 70 degree. If I didn't manually controlled my fans my computer would've died with a nice blue screen. :)

I just cleaned the filter of the water cooling system and everything went back to normal. I am always thinking the worst possible scenario when something happens to my baby I made myself.

Well, that makes me feel slightly better.  I'm just glad I didn't buy an i7 CPU off the bat, in case my i5-4670k is slightly damaged.  Really would've been pissed if I had damaged an i7.

At least know I know how to completely maintain my computer.  Gotta love learning new things.

You're welcome!

If you will have more questions in the future feel free to ask.

NOTE: seems like u have a decent build for first time, but definitely invest some money into good CPU cooler.

He's using his 4690k at stock clocks so the stock fan shouldn't give temps that would be that bad. At stock clocks anything more that an after market air cooler or a h60 for AiO watercolling is overkill.

Sorry I haven't read the entire exchanges in this topic but I would like to mention if it wasn't mentioned before me: The old HDD file scattering. The older your computer gets, the more files are installed and "removed" (The space they used is not actually cleaned thoi) your HDD accumulates data and gets slower and slower, this is why defragmentation is recommended every once in a while. but the default windows defragmentation has certain flaws that another software does much much better: Ultimate Defrag it will rearrange your data and clean unused entires. When my computer gets slow from lots of software installations and downloading it always helps and I do it regularly

Hope it helps!

With SSD as the system partition, defragmentation is completely useless; more over, it will actually damage the drive. In case of SSD's, it's quite easy to mess up the PC, unless user knows how to handle them and system needs to be properly set up for them, as well. I doubt the issue has anything to do with HDD; massive performance drops are more associated with CPU's and/or GPU's - things ranging from improper voltages (caused by faulty PSU's or motherboards) to overheating (no internal cleaning, dried up thermal grease or physical damage) are the most common problems.

With SSD as the system partition, defragmentation is completely useless; more over, it will actually damage the drive. In case of SSD's, it's quite easy to mess up the PC, unless user knows how to handle them and system needs to be properly set up for them, as well. I doubt the issue has anything to do with HDD; massive performance drops are more associated with CPU's and/or GPU's - things ranging from improper voltages (caused by faulty PSU's or motherboards) to overheating (no internal cleaning, dried up thermal grease or physical damage) are the most common problems.

You might be right. Thou it does help my computer so it can't be useless.

I haven't cleaned off the thermal paste at all, actually.  I don't have any more to apply, should I still clean off the dried stuff?  Sorry, I'm not quite sure what to do about it  :/

Not at all. You're simply supposed to replace thermal paste once in a (longer) while, but it usually lasts for months, if not years depending on it's quality and how much extensive work your PC does. You can't completely remove the paste; it's there to transmit the heat from components to their coolers. Without any, the conductivity would be bad and you'd literally fry your hardware.

Not at all. You're simply supposed to replace thermal paste once in a (longer) while, but it usually lasts for months, if not years depending on it's quality and how much extensive work your PC does. You can't completely remove the paste; it's there to transmit the heat from components to their coolers. Without any, the conductivity would be bad and you'd literally fry your hardware.

Ahh.  Well, the stuff that's currently on it was the paste that came with my processor.  It's been on there ever since I put my rig together in April.  I should probably get some more pretty soon, then, right?