[Ongoing] Fuwanovel Social Media Revamp Project

solidbatman

Alright, so its time to begin pushing my plan forward a little bit here. The purpose of this thread is to lay out my plans for the Fuwanovel Social Media department and what I would like to see moving forward from it. 

Right now, I am in control of 3 out of the 4 Fuwanovel social media outlets. These are, Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube. The fourth, VisualNovelAer is in flux right now. So for the moment, there is nothing I can do about that until I know what the plans are for the blog (be it reconstruction or simply adding more writers). 

So here are the current teams.

Facebook: solidbatman, Nosebleed, ryouuuuu, Kaguya (inactive), Tay (doesnt use but access if needed), unnamed (inactive)

Twitter: solidbatman, zakamutt, Tay (doesn't use, but has access if needed)

Youtube: solidbatman

Blog: Tay, zakamutt, god knows who else

The Facebook continues to grow at a healthy pace and we will pass 13000 likes within the next month. 

The Twitter is close to 400 followers. With a bit of work, we can likely surpass the original twitter account. 

Youtube is still being planned out, but work should begin within the week. What I have planned for the Youtube channel, is to record about 30 minutes of every Visual Novel we have offered. These videos can then be embedded on the download page for the visual novel as a sort of trailer for those who might have limited bandwith, or would like to see the VN in action before downloading. Choices will be done through annotations and unlisted videos to keep from having spoilers. Also possibly being hosted are official Fuwanovel Let's Plays and the Official Fuwanovel Podcast. Both of these are still under consideration and I will await feedback before deciding. 

The blog is I don't even know. 

Some needs:

Facebook: We need someone able to assist users in tech support questions. I don't have time to go through each comment and post and even less to investigate every issue that pops up. Nosebleed has been doing this as much as he can, but recently everyone has become busy. We do the best we can, but could really use some help.

TwitterZaka and myself tend to hit all the news we need to on this front. That said, having someone who can TL tweets from VN companies overseas would be a god send. We also need to remove the old twitter account from the front page and replace it with the new one. It won't take any effort to actually do. Just needs someone who has access to the front page. 

Youtube: TBA

Blog: TBA

The end goal for all of this is to make Fuwanovel the go to outlet for VN information and news. We've focused so much on hosting VNs, I think its time to actually educate about VNs now and make it easier for people to support their favorite VNs and developers. In the end, I want Fuwanovel to actually be a part of the official western VN community by removing all licensed games, having information pages for licensed VNs (these pages also having a 30 minute demo video), and providing links to purchase licensed VNs instead of a download. I would also like to see Fuwanovel put together instructions for those looking to import physical copies of JP only titles (titles that have been Fan TL'd) and having a purchase link alongside those download links. By using social media to educate and inform, we can perhaps make Fuwanovel a friend to localization companies, and become a resource that isn't hated by those companies. 

If you have any questions, want to offer any feedback, or want to give us a hand, feel free to PM me or post in this thread. Thank you for reading!

I can lend a hand with facebook for sure.

Twitter definitely not, I don't understand anything.

For the blog maybe I can, it depends on what the exact needs are. (Hasn't been written down yet)

As for youtube depends if you need other people to work on your current project, if so I can.

But I can't do any editing.

However you can contact Asshadow (I can't remember his exact username and I don't have time to search - cause limited crappy connexion), he made cool video reviews.

So yeah, that's it for me

I would like to see the Fuwanovel podcast shared on the social media outlets (not necessarily YouTube since I host it in my own channel). To give you an example, my Mixcloud account, where I host and upload the podcast, can be shared onto social media websites as a small video player in HTML. I want this to be shared on the Facebook, Twitter and blog (when it is sorted) respectively.

We are the only visual novel podcast that I know successfully exists, and I want to capitalize on that fact. Currently I have been working on using an RSS feed to upload the podcast onto iTunes as well. I also want to see this put on the main page, but that is or a different thread.

I think there's actually another podcast, called the eroge podcast. It's pretty long as well. I've never listened to it because I don't care about podcasts though.

EDIT: found it. Damn this thing looks pretty pro. http://reisengoestoschoolbybus.blogspot.com/

VNAer actually used to post a link whenever a new episode of the eroge bus came out, I suggest we resurrect this tradition if it's any good.

I've very recently started helping Zaka out with the blog, so there's the two of us on that at least (though I have no access to set up posts myself). For the most part there's rarely that much news that we shouldn't be able to keep it relatively up to date on that front, though I'm sure more writers wouldn't be a bad thing. However, if the blog is to be used for non-VN news in the future (like new episodes of podcasts) more people would definitely be needed as I don't have any interest on that front.

I'm nothing special around here and as such shouldn't really have a say when it comes to what the blog should and shouldn't contain, but back when I just started visiting Fuwanovel it was actually primarily to get VN news from VNAer and as such my personal opinion is that it should strive to be the best source for VN news online, be it translation updates, recruitment bulletins, translator interviews, etc. As a reader back then without any specific relation to Fuwanovel I wouldn't be interested in posts about new episodes of the community podcast. With that in mind I think those sort of community focuses belong more on Fuwanovels Facebook and Twitter feeds, while the blog should be the one-stop go-to place for VN news. But again, this is just my opinion as a person who didn't originally come here for the torrents but for the news. Whatever the staff actually decides to do I'm sure will be the right thing in the long run.

I'm all for joining that YouTube team. I already have reviews and stuff on YouTube, and i'm not horrible at editing. The podcast NEEDS to go up somewhere else, that mixcloud's player is just god awful. As for educating people about VN's, I recently went through and made what I thought was a fairly comprehensive beginner's guide to VN's, you guys could use it if you wanted to.

I really think the direction you guys are taking on the social media front is a good idea, especially the plans for the youtube channel. It sounds like it'll take a lot of work, but it'll add value to the main site. 

Unfortunately, the only front that I am familiar with and could be any help with is facebook. If no one else rises to the occasion, I'd be happy to help with technical questions -- admittedly it'd be a mix of the standard stuff + some googlefu. It would give me a better reason to use facebook than the handful of people I actually use it to keep in touch with.

I'll also echo what Hotsauce said: I first started visiting this community for the blog. In fact, I vaguely remember this, but I think the blog precedes Fuwanovel? I remember it going down for some time and then discovering this site afterwards. Either way, I think the blog should be the crowning jewel of the site. Apart from /r/visualnovels, there's no other place but here where I get VN news. The few sites that I used to visit for that are now defunct (encubed, visual-novels.net, VNTLS News). So I put a lot of value on it. On one hand, I see merit in what Hotsauce is saying. Focusing on news over promotion would add a bit of legitimacy if only in a thin sense and the other social media outlets could be a good alternative to dump community promotions. However, it is Fuwanovel's blog and I feel that it wouldn't be out of place to promote the things the the Fuwanovel community is doing. Anything that might grow an interest in the forums here and encourage people to join is a good thing.

One thing we really miss on the writing team is someone that can read Japanese. Technically this is shcboomer, but he's pretty ded. We have pretty much no news on the jp front, and sometimes have a hard time confirming facts by secondhand english sources. Of course, this assumes we want info from the Japanese side of things. Aaeru used to report on jp stuff, far as I recall.

For the most part there's rarely that much news that we shouldn't be able to keep it relatively up to date on that front, though I'm sure more writers wouldn't be a bad thing. However, if the blog is to be used for non-VN news in the future (like new episodes of podcasts) more people would definitely be needed as I don't have any interest on that front.

There is quite a bit going on in the visual novel industry, however a lot of it is happening in Japan. A lot of it is in the OELVN industry. Some of it concerns those games which may or may not be visual novels. And then there is the localisation news. The news site could also be used to paste any interviews Fuwanovel chooses to conduct in the future (unique content) or any articles the staff write offering analysis on parts of the industry (unique content.) But those are ideas for the future :P

I'm going to wait and see what Tay ends up doing with the blog before I put my hand up for it. His tentative plans were kinds of overhauly. I also think it needs to take up more of the front page in expense of... oh, say those massive links trying to entice consumers away from the site, or the massive 'featured' VN links, which really belong on the database page and not the main one.

The end goal for all of this is to make Fuwanovel the go to outlet for VN information and news. We've focused so much on hosting VNs, I think its time to actually educate about VNs now and make it easier for people to support their favorite VNs and developers. In the end, I want Fuwanovel to actually be a part of the official western VN community by removing all licensed games, having information pages for licensed VNs (these pages also having a 30 minute demo video), and providing links to purchase licensed VNs instead of a download. I would also like to see Fuwanovel put together instructions for those looking to import physical copies of JP only titles (titles that have been Fan TL'd) and having a purchase link alongside those download links. By using social media to educate and inform, we can perhaps make Fuwanovel a friend to localization companies, and become a resource that isn't hated by those companies. 

You're the man SB :3

There is quite a bit going on in the visual novel industry, however a lot of it is happening in Japan. A lot of it is in the OELVN industry. Some of it concerns those games which may or may not be visual novels. And then there is the localisation news. The news site could also be used to paste any interviews Fuwanovel chooses to conduct in the future (unique content) or any articles the staff write offering analysis on parts of the industry (unique content.) But those are ideas for the future :P

You're right, someone with a focus on JP content would be nice, as well as someone who has an interest in the OELVN scene who could pick out the relevant stuff with high enough production values.

In the future it would certainly be nice with original content - that's also something I've been thinking about.

I think I can help with the blog, and probably the twitter too.

I still need  to build my news feed better, but I'm fairly confident I can crawl at least through JP twitters. Bigger stuff like blog posts and interviews would be tougher but it IS still an end goal for me.

So yeah, re-twitting some stuff and writing blog posts are within my abilities.

Facebook should be covered now. 

I think I can help with the blog, and probably the twitter too.

I still need  to build my news feed better, but I'm fairly confident I can crawl at least through JP twitters. Bigger stuff like blog posts and interviews would be tougher but it IS still an end goal for me.

So yeah, re-twitting some stuff and writing blog posts are within my abilities.

Zaka and myself hit the english news without much issue. It's on the JP side of things we can't get since we don't have a JP-EN translator. We'd translate the tweet and provide a link to the tweet. This would also work for the blog down the road when that gets sorted out. 

Facebook should be covered now.

Zaka and myself hit the english news without much issue. It's on the JP side of things we can't get since we don't have a JP-EN translator. We'd translate the tweet and provide a link to the tweet. This would also work for the blog down the road when that gets sorted out.

I'm cool with the chinese news, thought I hardly think it hits chinese news before english (maybe a couple hours difference only)

• 2 weeks later...

Did I get removed from the blog team? o.0 RIP

You haven't posted on the blog, or appeared on the forums at all recently. So I didn't include your name. Despite that you should still have all permissions as I still don't have any control over the blog. If it bugs you that much I can add your name to the OP. 

You haven't posted on the blog, or appeared on the forums at all recently. So I didn't include your name. Despite that you should still have all permissions as I still don't have any control over the blog. If it bugs you that much I can add your name to the OP. 

I'm okay with being 'god knows who else'. I've just been busy with school, but you can find me on Skype or Twitter. I'm still around to post on the blog as well.