Clannad to be released on Steam by Sekai Project

solidbatman

According to Sekai's Twitter account, if Clannad and Planetarian do well enough, there's a good chance that they'll localize Kanon, too.  I think I love them.  Well, not for Sakura Spirit, anyway.

Yeah, $30 is where I would set it.

Same.  Any more than that would risk potential customers, and I doubt they're stupid enough to do that, since VNs aren't popular enough in the west to utilize the cash-grabbing tactics normal video games employ.

I don't know if localizing Kanon next would be a good idea.The fan-translation was completed long time ago and it is fine as it is.Besides,Kanon never had an official voiced release for the PC,and I don't think Key would allow them to add something that is exclusive to the consoles.

I think getting either Tomoyo After Memorial or Little Busters EX would be the next logical choices.

They would probably be better off localizing LB and Rewrite before Kanon. Kanon is even more dated than Clannad and honestly isn't all that good.

It also has some heroines that really rub me the wrong way

~uguu~

Well Kanon (along with Planetarian) is probably the Key VNs with the best translations. So that might be one reason.

Well Kanon (along with Planetarian) is probably the Key VNs with the best translations. So that might be one reason.

That, and it's supposed to be a fan-favorite, so...from their view, if Clannad and Planetarian sell well, there's nothing to lose.  Key seems to be pretty well-loved in the VN community, so they can't really go wrong with localizing any of their VNs.

They would probably be better off localizing LB and Rewrite before Kanon. Kanon is even more dated than Clannad and honestly isn't all that good.

It also has some heroines that really rub me the wrong way

~uguu~

It's not really that much older than Clannad or Planetarian.  I've seen people buy older games on Steam for $10, without a sale or anything.  How successful they'll be will probably only really depend on how they're priced, in my opinion, and on how well they can spread the word to other communities besides dedicated VN communities, like Fuwa.

Come to think of it I wonder how Sekai can even use the Clannad Fan tl considering it isn't actually done by Doki (Unless they're going to be retranslating it entirerly instead of just editing it). Since they are apperently doing a kickstarter I sure hope that they're actually going try funding a new tl. I won't consider donating otherwise at least.

That, and it's supposed to be a fan-favorite, so...from their view, if Clannad and Planetarian sell well, there's nothing to lose.  Key seems to be pretty well-loved in the VN community, so they can't really go wrong with localizing any of their VNs.

It's not really that much older than Clannad or Planetarian.  I've seen people buy older games on Steam for $10, without a sale or anything.  How successful they'll be will probably only really depend on how they're priced, in my opinion, and on how well they can spread the word to other communities besides dedicated VN communities, like Fuwa.

It's not purely a matter of age, but Key's level of experience. Both their art and writing wasn't as refined. I know it's incorrect in some ways, but to me Kanon just feels like a mediocre first attempt at what they later pulled off in Clannad.

does that matter?

Take a look at tsukihime and tell me it is bad because of the art, music, and lack of voice.

Some people believe it to be because of those very reasons. I recommend you don't go there.

Steam is a place with lots and lots of gamers. I'm sure that any visual novel that goes there will get bashed to pieces, bad art, CGs, lack of voices, will only give them more unneeded ammunition. Starting with bigger, voiced and nice looking titles is the way to go, we want these to sell something, at least.

Some people believe it to be because of those very reasons. I recommend you don't go there.

Steam is a place with lots and lots of gamers. I'm sure that any visual novel that goes there will get bashed to pieces, bad art, CGs, lack of voices, will only give them more unneeded ammunition. Starting with bigger, voiced and nice looking titles is the way to go, we want these to sell something, at least.

I know i am spupid but even I aint THAT stupid.

I realize full well that the current tsukihime would not be a good vn to start localization with.

Mayby once a few more vn's have been localized but even then it would be a gamble if you think about the amounts of morons that are on steam.

Besides does someone who can't see past the art etc really deserve to read tsukihime?

I don't think so. they should just stick with braindead stuff instead.

Edit: been wanting to say this for a while, but nice signature.

Well, I've seen and heard multiple people in the community be turned off enough by bad art that they completely avoid reading something, even if it's tsukihime etc. Even I didn't really feel that up to reading Higurashi before I got the ps2 sprites working.

Have not read higurashi yet, but that had nothing to do woth the art, wich i admit was atrochious. (way worse than tsukihime)

A did not read it because the anime adaption managed to more or less scare me off.

Besides does someone who can't see past the art etc really deserve to read tsukihime?

I don't think so. they should just stick with braindead stuff instead.

Edit: been wanting to say this for a while, but nice signature.

In between the mongoloids bashing the living hell out of the game, there's people who might like a nice story. Even still, I wouldn't go for a game universally acclaimed as a piece of crap when looking for a a good story, would you? 

There are three main scenarios I can concoct in my head.

1. The game is bashed unanimously, and will be mainly bought by trolls who want to see how bad it is. I doubt that they'd admit even if they enjoyed it.

2. The game is bashed. Some people will still buy it when they see what it's about, and who knows, maybe there will be different opposing opinions.

3. The games is properly recognized for the good visual novel it is. (nevah gonna happen)

Edit: Thank Mr. Meogii for the signature. I tried to find one of Edgeworth's funnier lines, but everything needs to be in context unfortunately.

In between the mongoloids bashing the living hell out of the game, there's people who might like a nice story. Even still, I wouldn't go for a game universally acclaimed as a piece of crap when looking for a a good story, would you? 

There are three main scenarios I can concoct in my head.

1. The game is bashed unanimously, and will be mainly bought by trolls who want to see how bad it is. I doubt that they'd admit even if they enjoyed it.

2. The game is bashed. Some people will still buy it when they see what it's about, and who knows, maybe there will be different opposing opinions.

3. The games is properly recognized for the good visual novel it is. (nevah gonna happen)

Edit: Thank Mr. Meogii for the signature. I tried to find one of Edgeworth's funnier lines, but everything needs to be in context unfortunately.

True but people who are looking for a nice story won't buy a piece of crap.

they buy something with a good story regardless of the medium.

I know i did not give a crap about tsukihime's bad artwork.

And it sure as hell did not make me enjoy the story less.

Most likely senario is 2 i think.

Befor moving on to sencario 3 after a certain time has passed and the idiots move away because they got bored.

On a related note (can't wait for the tsukihime remake, altough that will probaly not come until 2020 or something)

I don't know if Clannad's reception on Steam will be that good as we hope. If the mainstream gaming sites coverage and reviews will be decent, Clannad could be a good seller, but it has a few flaws to be *really* successful.

- It is 10 years old and so is the art style. John Doe - even if he likes current Anime - will think twice before he buys a "game" with these graphics. Even if the story is good, you can judge a book only by its cover.

- If the reviews are good, the time investment is a factor that will scare many people off. I can't believe how many of my friends are hesitant to start a singleplayer game with more than 20 hours of gameplay. Clannad with it's glorious length (at least for John Doe) could have some problems here.
- The price tag will be at least ~30 bucks, so impulse buys won't happen, which I wouldn't underestimate.

I don't know if Clannad's reception on Steam will be that good as we hope. If the mainstream gaming sites coverage and reviews will be decent, Clannad could be a good seller, but it has a few flaws to be *really* successful.

- It is 10 years old and so is the art style. John Doe - even if he likes current Anime - will think twice before he buys a "game" with these graphics. Even if the story is good, you can judge a book only by its cover.

- If the reviews are good, the time investment is a factor that will scare many people off. I can't believe how many of my friends are hesitant to start a singleplayer game with more than 20 hours of gameplay. Clannad with it's glorious length (at least for John Doe) could have some problems here.

- The price tag will be at least ~30 bucks, so impulse buys won't happen, which I wouldn't underestimate.

You can judge a book by the summery as well you know. :P

You can judge a book by the summery as well you know. :P

Well, yes, the blurb is on the cover of the book. But you won't know how it is written or if the writing style really suits you.

Aargh, I also meant that in a more unliteral way! If I stumble upon a product I have no idea of, the first impression is critical. So, if Clannad would appear a tad antiquated to me, I wouldn't pick it up and forget about it.

You literally forget that Clannad had more or less a finished TL (it was badly done, but still something to start from) and Planetarian had a great TL made by Insani. Licensing those two titles was only a matter of time; since even before SP got funded, guys who formed it stated plenty of times, that if anything KEY gets ever released on the west, it will most definately be Clannad and Planetarian. Now you have it. It's a nice accomplishment, but don't even think about resting on your laurels. If anything, this is just the beggining and any communities involved in visual novels will have a lot to do from now on.

SP isn't any different from Jast or MG - their only difference lies in the fact they are less restricted in terms of licensing games, but they follow the same rule that applies to any publisher, as in either bringing the most profitable titles out, or publishing games that require little to no work. The good side is they are constantly improving and looking for community feedback. I guess that's our main task - share knowledge and guide our western publishers, so they can release good and profitable titles on the west. The more profitable this business becomes, the more chances are the japanese studios open their doors and start looking forward to partnerships with western publishers.

Interesting that they'll crowdfund this, well I guess it's fair enough, it is a big achievement that can probably not be achieved (:Kappa:) with 0 funds, although I wonder what they'll use the funds for exactly aside from editing/TLC (assuming they'll do this, they better do it)

Which is fine with me. The less Little Busters in the world, the better. 

Batman calm down, have some pancakes.