Clannad to be released on Steam by Sekai Project

solidbatman

Me and you aside, everyone and their dog loves Clannad. It always seemed this way to me and it's way more popular than other Key games, except maybe Little Busters. Hell, it's probably one of the only Key games where you can talk about a community of fans existing.

And as you said there's the anime. Which is very popular too.

I forgot to add that "in my place and the people around here", Clannad is not a big deal as Re-Write, LB...  or Clannad's anime fans. In fact, if you ask about Clannad, only a few say to you "Yes, I know a novel" and the rest says "What is a VN? It has a game?! D:".

That's what I'm trying to say. Sorry if I didn't wrote it the right way.

--

Returning to the topic, just imagine this as a launchpad, for all those people that I'm mentioning, to know what VNs are... But still, I'm not that sure... All that Re-translation stuff... And don't forget that most people actually HATE reading things, I don't know how are things in other places, but people here is lazy even to read... Also... I feel bad for the original translators... ¿What's gonna be of the original translation project then? Doki guys were the ones who translated it, almost all work was done by them. Something simillar happens to Planetarian, and SekaiProject guys will be the ones getting the glory...

So... I feel happy but sad when pointing at this fact...

It would be better if they just make the visual novels avaliable without DRM and they gave you the option to use the fan translations, rather than only buy the translated one. If you ask me, I'm happy about all this, but I'm not gonna buy it because of it. I brought the original VN long ago, waited for the translation and followed those guys till the end.

Also, all of this is encouraging sites to bring down their downloads... ¿Ok, but to also affect the translation projects? Dude, If you buy the novel, you have rights over the product itself, if you want, you can burn, scratch, copy it, or take pictures with together with the disk, whatever. And making a translation is not a crime though, you only patch files, never distribute the novel itself... I dunno if you follow my train of thought...

Maybe I'm getting a little overboard of all this, but really, I can't shake the mixed feeling when thinking all the possibilities.

Edited by Kuky_nekoi

Welp, Doki are saying that they'll be working with Sekai Project on this. Doki is the group currently "polishing" the existing translation. No matter how good they are at that, that original translation was really bad. They'd need to start from scratch in order to instill confidence. Hopefully this won't be a total disaster.

There's an unfinished fan translation for it but that's it. The patch translated everything but didn't get complete editing or TLC passes and is kind of rough. It's possible that they could use it as a base but maybe they'll try to do the whole thing from scratch, which might be better in the long run. That will take a long time to do.

Its a bit more than kind of rough, there are still editing marks throughout the text. That being said, I was still able to fully enjoy the story and get both the laughs and the feels from the translation.

Though I would love to replay the game with a completely new translation

I'm really looking forward to buying the licensed version to help contribute to the cause and show the world that the west is interested in VNs

and we actually have the money to spend on them

Its a bit more than kind of rough

Prepare your face for the palming of its lifetime:

1. <0044> \{HR Teacher} "Until then, feel free to do whatever you'd like. The students who forgot to take the exams should bring a feather."*
  2. // do they bring feathers to exams? for ink or something?
  3. // It certainly says feather, but it doesn't seem like calligraphy to me. The feather might be the evidence that denotes a retake, but that's a wild guess. -Amoirsp
  4. // I tried looking up various uses for a feather. The only one remotely close is the writing use for it. Must be cultural or conditional. So Tomoya ... never missed any. -Amoirsp
  5. // \{担任}「それまでは各自自由。今日一日は受験のことを忘れて羽根をのばしなさい」

"Kind of rough" was maybe an understatement. Perfectly logical conclusion there, Amoirsp.

The game deserves better than that. That is not good enough for any kind of release, let alone to charge money for. Obviously they are going to continue to work on it, but if they actually want it to be good, they can't use that as a base.

Its a bit more than kind of rough, there are still editing marks throughout the text. That being said, I was still able to fully enjoy the story and get both the laughs and the feels from the translation.

Though I would love to replay the game with a completely new translation

I'm really looking forward to buying the licensed version to help contribute to the cause and show the world that the west is interested in VNs

and we actually have the money to spend on them

Yeah... XD

Welp, Doki are saying that they'll be working with Sekai Project on this. Doki is the group currently "polishing" the existing translation. No matter how good they are at that, that original translation was really bad. They'd need to start from scratch in order to instill confidence. Hopefully this won't be a total disaster.

Yes, I know that. ¿But, what will happen to the first project? Newcomers only will get to know SekaiProject's translation, and everyone will eventually forget Doki's work.

That's what I don't like, it's more about feelings... Well, I'll calm myself after I get some sleep.

Newcomers only will get to know SekaiProject's translation, and everyone will eventually forget Doki's work.

I have come to a conclusion after going back and reviewing some things.

Whoever worked on Clannad just sucks and hopefully we can forget the terrible misfortunes they have caused in our lives

Tomoyo After which is translated by Doki is a sloppy translation that has many typos but nothing compared to the atrocities of Clannad

Sekai will do Clannad justice I'm sure

1) Doki is working with Sekai, Sekai isn't doing this on their own

2) Doki hasn't even had a first chance yet, the shitty translation that's out now isn't Doki's, but a TLWiki work. I'm still going to be very skeptical since they're supposedly TLCing and editing that instead of starting from scratch, but what you see now isn't Doki's work.

1) Doki is working with Sekai, Sekai isn't doing this on their own

2) Doki hasn't even had a first chance yet, the shitty translation that's out now isn't Doki's, but a TLWiki work. I'm still going to be very skeptical since they're supposedly TLCing and editing that instead of starting from scratch, but what you see now isn't Doki's work.

Sigh.

http://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/2ef5e2/clannad_full_voice_edition_confirmed_for_official/cjyyhgd

No.

Ah, Baka-tsuki. That explains the tl-quality.

Lol, actually laughed at that one.

yeah the quallity of Baka tsuki is a little unreliable.

As for the vn getting on steam.

Hope the market will finally gather some steam and we will get more stoy vns rather than the enternal nukige that i wont even look at.

Lets hope for a official release of some of type moons games while we are at it.

And lets hope it will become a good market with enough fish in it to keep the sharks fed.

I sure hope that the work Doki is doing on the translation is more than just slightly editing it to sound nice.

I'm not the biggest fan of Clannad (I like it well enough but its not one of my faves) but this is probably the most important visual novel release yet. It is incredibly important that Sekai gives it the amount of care it needs.

Its good that clannad is getting localized and all but would it hurt Sekai Project to do something that doesn't already have a fan translation?

Maybe translation is the only thing they can't do. 

They're only picking up other stuff, putting a label saying "Official" on it and adding a price tag.

They're also putting stuff on Steam,  and who knows, maybe that'll will increase visual novel popularity. Or hate.

Maybe translation is the only thing they can't do. 

They're only picking up other stuff, putting a label saying "Official" on it and adding a price tag.

They're also putting stuff on Steam,  and who knows, maybe that'll will increase visual novel popularity. Or hate.

While I think getting more Vns getting official releases is good there are quite a few people pissed off they are just going through and are basically making money off fan translations. 

Its good that clannad is getting localized and all but would it hurt Sekai Project to do something that doesn't already have a fan translation?

As was being discussed above, Clannad will still require massive work to have a publishable translation.

Also, we know they're already working with Grisaia's translator and that Grisaia's sequels should be TLed if the game sells well.

Obviously doing new TL should be their objective and what we expect from them, but TLs require a lot of time, and first they need to build a consumer base and a capital through already existing translations.

While I think getting more Vns getting official releases is good there are quite a few people pissed off they are just going through and are basically making money off fan translations. 

Essentially, I guess. At least they're licencing titles and establishing relations with steam and other companies.

As was being discussed above, Clannad will still require massive work to have a publishable translation.

Also, we know they're already working with Grisaia's translator and that Grisaia's sequels should be TLed if the game sells well.

Obviously doing new TL should be their objective and what we expect from them, but TLs require a lot of time, and first they need to build a consumer base and a capital through already existing translations.

I agree with that.

Essentially, I guess. At least they're licencing titles and establishing relations with steam and other companies.

I agree with that.

Another thing why did Doki agree to this when they still haven't finished LB EX I mean we have been waiting for how long now? Thats another kind of shitty thing they could have at least finished that first.

Something else to keep in mind, we still only have the BakaTsuki TL. Doki has had the project for years now. We don't know if they have already made changes to the original TL. The thing could already be in better shape than what we have now.

And finally, remember that even big localization companies screw up still. Translating from JP to English is not a perfect art. There are many things open to interpretation. And 99% of the people reading won't even be able to tell if a TL is missed or localized a bit more. All it takes is those few JP readers to say something, and then the other 99% of people get up in arms over something they would never have noticed anyway (aka NISA releases)

9ddac8d1f2.png

Someone posted a link of this a little bit up, but the /r/visualnovels mods rightly took it down. For posterity's sake, here is moogy's classy comment to someone saying the TL was done by TLWiki.  

Thats Moogy Heiki-domo-sama for you, but he is quite right in the original TL was indeed Baka-Tsuki