Clannad to be released on Steam by Sekai Project

solidbatman

Everyone pack your bags, there's nothing left to do here.

Seriously though this is a massive accomplishment no matter how you kook at it, Key opening up for Western releases was something i didn't expect in the near future, especially not Clannad.

I wonder how much SP can achieve now, i don't think AB! Coming to the west is a such a wild fantasy now.

Everyone pack your bags, there's nothing left to do here.

Seriously though this is a massive accomplishment no matter how you kook at it, Key opening up for Western releases was something i didn't expect in the near future, especially not Clannad.

I wonder how much SP can achieve now, i don't think AB! Coming to the west is a such a wild fantasy now.

Assuming sales of these two are good enough, I don't see why not. Granted, these are two older properties, both with an existing Fan TL which lowers the costs. Still means we need to do our part and buy these things (and remove them from the site but thats for another thread). 

Have we, or is it just sekai project being really good at licensing shit? 

No and yes respectively. Unless 'popular' means 'barely profitable'. Who knows what changed, whether it was Steam, the dire nature of the market in Japan or maybe Sekai really are THAT good at negotiating *shrugs*.

The first thing which needs to be done is people going out to buy these games, though.

I think I've literally once said that if CLANNAD actually got to the west, it would be at the point where VNs were so popular we'd essentially have succeeded or whatever already. Have we, or is it just sekai project being really good at licensing shit? We shall see.

This is an important step but there's another big one after that.

So far those hype games Steam releases are old licenses with established fanbases and existing fan translations.

Now Sekai Project needs to go ahead and license recent, high-profile and yet untranslated visual novels. If we start to see a flux of new translations for big games that sell well (at a higher pace than the few games here and there that MG and JAST do), then I think things will look really good.

Well, I only expected them to talk about Planetarian's already announced release. This is good news, because the Clannad fan translation currently available is quite rough. I think that's half the reason the english reading fans prefer the anime to the VN. The other half being the art, of course.

Serious question: What do you think is the most popular VN ever released in Japan? I was thinking it has to be Clannad but I'm not really sure. 

This might possibly be the most important english language VN release yet.

Which is why it's so important that people support this. If sales are disappointing this will prove to be a step backwards rather than a step forwards. That being said it's being released on Steam where Indie games sell a bundle and there's plenty of people out there who like the anime, so theoretically it should sell okay. 

clannad is awesome but it was release 10 year ago,so it doesn't even matter

That's like saying: mozart is awesome but his stuff is 300 years old so it doesn't really matter anymore.

Age on its own doesn't diminish a product's value (well unless that product is food that can go bad), the fanbase loves Clannad, therefore it's logical to think that if they release this product people will want to buy it. Nothing wrong with it being 10 years old. And i'm sure if we support it then we will see even bigger and more recent titles. It's all about creating a solid foundation.

I was jus about to make a post but you won this time...

--

That's like saying: mozart is awesome but his stuff is 300 years old so it doesn't really matter anymore.

Age on its own doesn't diminish a product's value (well unless that product is food that can go bad), the fanbase loves Clannad, therefore it's logical to think that if they release this product people will want to buy it. Nothing wrong with it being 10 years old. And i'm sure if we support it then we will see even bigger and more recent titles. It's all about creating a solid foundation.

Solidbatman approves it.

--

Now jokes aside, we have to admit that if Clannad is the Main Warship of Key, there aren't many fans of it. In fact, I'm not a fan of it, even If I played the VN, I'm not a huge fan of it and I can even say that Kanon is way better. But... There are many fans that got to know Clannad because of the anime, so, the thing that has me most impatient is to see what will happen with all those people that loved or watched the anime when they find Clannad's VN on Steam...

Their reaction, thoughs... This can be a new beginning...

I feel so... It's an incredible feeling, hard to describe it.

Quick question: Was this officially translated yet? Or will Sekai Proejct have to re-translate and/or contact the old translation team?

There's an unfinished fan translation for it but that's it. The patch translated everything but didn't get complete editing or TLC passes and is kind of rough. It's possible that they could use it as a base but maybe they'll try to do the whole thing from scratch, which might be better in the long run. That will take a long time to do.

Now jokes aside, we have to admit that if Clannad is the Main Warship of Key, there aren't many fans of it.

Me and you aside, everyone and their dog loves Clannad. It always seemed this way to me and it's way more popular than other Key games, except maybe Little Busters. Hell, it's probably one of the only Key games where you can talk about a community of fans existing.

And as you said there's the anime. Which is very popular too.

There's an unfinished fan translation for it but that's it. The patch translated everything but didn't get complete editing or TLC passes and is kind of rough. It's possible that they could use it as a base but maybe they'll try to do the whole thing from scratch, which might be better in the long run. That will take a long time to do.

Ah, what a shame. Though I suppose they would have re-done it anyways, just like with Narcissu...