[newb question] Hacking a Rejet Game?

Hey, so I'm pretty new to hacking. I know how to unpack, edit, and then repack stuff in kirikiri, but that's about it. Thing is, I've got my sights on translating this Rejet game, and after repacking, I've realized the font kinda hates English.

c164de1b0203593d396f9ce5b2393e97.png

264d285f7c6be260384d2e9a4a85d1dd.png

Is there a way I can replace it so it looks better, or fix the spacing, at least? Please don't tell me to get a hacker, either--I'd really like to learn how to do this for myself. Any help at all would be appreciated! Thank you! ♡

Geh, I had the same issue when hacking Rejet games. The solution I opted up for was creating a custom font (based on the original font used) and adjust the spacing in that custom font.

I used the program High-Logic Font Creator to do that.

Also note that this solution only works if you play the game in Japanese locale (AppLocale seems to mess the font beyond repair...)

I really wished to find another easier solution but that one seems to work.

Download AE and follow these steps:

1. Open AE. Go to Data Tool tab and select the NOT (X = X XOR $FF) option.
  2. Click Process data and choose the file Modules/pf.dat
  3. Now a file called pf.dat~ (with tilde) has been created in the same folder, and is editable in a text editor. Search for "font" and you'll find the declaration.
    1. Search for Title to change the game's title!
    2. Search for Messages to find some save/load dialogs that need translation!
    3. There are numerous declaration of fonts for various uses (like name font, dialog font...) From my experience the game probably uses the same font everywhere, but you don't have to (if for example you you want another font to display the characters' names). But you should probably start with one font and see how it goes...
  4. Change to the font of your liking and repeat stages 1-2 for the pf.dat~ file. A new file called pf.dat~~ will be created.
  5. Replace the original pf.dat file with the new pf.dat~~ file and enjoy  :)

I think Rejet are using the game engine for all of their games, so hopefully it will work for you.

Also note that you should export the font as ttf (and not otf) since said engine only supports that.

@Quibi

Thank you very much! Changing the font name to something I had installed worked for me, I didn't have to make a custom one.

7774bcdd35bef94a891b7b840908c266.png

It just has to be fixed width or it ends up looking funky.

I have two more problems now:

1. How do I change the default character name, or how many letters the player can use? I believe her last name is 'Sakuraba', but the most it lets me enter is 'Sakur'.
  2. This game has a dictionary, as presented by the 'words' tab, but when I edited them in the only place I could find them, gd.dat, the game crashed when I pressed 'words'. How can I edit the dictionary?

Once again, any help at all is greatly appreciated! (´ω`★)

The default char name is in the exe itself. In the trial the surname is at 0x4c8964 and first name is right after it. Comes out really badly in-game for me though:

QBEF46f.jpg

"Sakuraba" doesn't actually fit, you're one byte short. So you'd have to edit the exe and distribute your own if you really wanted to set that name as default.

The dictionary files are SQL files, did you edit them with a proper SQL editor?

EDIT: Found where to edit the length as well:

PHkFBt3.jpg

Still requires exe editing though. In a hex editor, edit the byte at 0xbd86, that's the length restriction, it's 5 by default. I don't know if this causes any problems with the game, seems to work though.

The one in my screenshots is OllyDbg, but you don't need that. Any hex editor will do, I gave the addresses that you need to edit. There's tonnes of hex editors around, HxD or wxMEdit are two free ones.

I don't have any SQL editors, it just says at the start of the files "SQLite format 3," so that tells you you'd need a SQLite program to read/write them properly.

• 2 years later...
On 25.08.2014 at 9:28 AM, Quibi said:

I think Rejet are using the game engine for all of their games, so hopefully it will work for you.

Also note that you should export the font as ttf (and not otf) since said engine only supports that.

Good afternoon. I'm trying to make a demo Alice=Alice in Russian. I faced the same problem with a font that you do.  Tell me pleace, what the font you are used?

On 26.08.2014 at 2:01 AM, kudaratan said:

@Quibi

Thank you very much! Changing the font name to something I had installed worked for me, I didn't have to make a custom one.

7774bcdd35bef94a891b7b840908c266.png

It just has to be fixed width or it ends up looking funky.

I have two more problems now:

1. How do I change the default character name, or how many letters the player can use? I believe her last name is 'Sakuraba', but the most it lets me enter is 'Sakur'.
  2. This game has a dictionary, as presented by the 'words' tab, but when I edited them in the only place I could find them, gd.dat, the game crashed when I pressed 'words'. How can I edit the dictionary?

Once again, any help at all is greatly appreciated! (´ω`★)

Good afternoon. I'm trying to make a demo Alice=Alice in Russian. I faced the same problem with a font that you do.  Tell me pleace, what the font you are used?