Rewrite discussion thread

Novel21

It's not amazing, but it's still worth going through - and the gameplay will definitely keep you busy. I can think of a lot worse titles out there.

Bleh, many people say that - but I just didn't see it. I found it to be as unfunny as it could possibly get. I found its humor stupid at best, obnoxious at worst. (With a some exceptions, of course - there was still a handful of funny parts)

I actually liked Little Busters humor compared to it. Different strokes for for different folks and all that~

Is the gameplay optional? Can't say i'm in the mood for playing forced gameplay when reading a VN. Don't you have to redo all the gameplay scenes for each heroine as well?

I guess it's OK if it's forced and not overly difficult. If i have to retry 10 times to finish something then it would definitely be a dealbreaker.

On 9/27/2015 at 4:58 PM, Suzu Fanatic said:

Bleh, many people say that - but I just didn't see it. I found it to be as unfunny as it could possibly get. I found its humor stupid at best, obnoxious at worst. (With a some exceptions, of course - there was still a handful of funny parts)

I actually liked Little Busters humor compared to it. Different strokes for for different folks and all that~

I enjoy both Jun Maeda's and Tanaka Romeo's senses of humor more than almost all other VN authors, but they are pretty different. I like the change of pace because barely any VNs at all have protagonists like theirs.

On 9/27/2015 at 6:35 PM, Stormwolf said:

Is the gameplay optional? Can't say i'm in the mood for playing forced gameplay when reading a VN. Don't you have to redo all the gameplay scenes for each heroine as well?

I guess it's OK if it's forced and not overly difficult. If i have to retry 10 times to finish something then it would definitely be a dealbreaker.

There are options to turn off all gameplay aspects in LB, but I can't remember if these options are disabled during your first playthrough or not. The battling system was pretty amusing at first, but kind of ceases to be so during the 2nd through 6th+ playthroughs of the common route.

"shrug" I think it's a matter of perspective and values - there is more then one way to atone, besides death.

I have a guilty pleasure with liking Chihaya - not her route per se - but I have a soft spot in my heart for dumb-as-a-stump girls (just like Yumina, haha). :sachi:

I'm not saying that death is the only way to atone for what she did but letting her go with the love of his life to live the rest of her life as she wants is not something anyone would let her do, she erased the entire human population from the earth and the people only cursed her when they found out what she did... is just stupid :/

Chihaya is definitely my least favorite heroine and route. I never could stand muscle head type characters, but Chihaya is cute so she makes up for it a little. Her route was definitely too different from the other routes, but I liked the multiple life and death choices.

I love having to spend a good 5 to 10 minutes deciding which choice to pick.
This happened to me in Haruka's route in Little Busters and both Hanako's and Lilly's routes in Katawa Shoujo. Whenever Moment of Decision starts playing in Katawa Shoujo, I get goose bumps.

Chihaya is a pretty likable character, it's just that her route really didn't focus on here, and she ended up getting the least characterization out of all the main heroines by far. Hence it's understandable why she might be considered the least liked heroine by most, including myself. I don't dislike her though, honestly I like all of Rewrite's heroines, she'd just be the last on my least :P

• 4 months later...

Just finished reading Rewrite.

It was quite different from what I expected it to be at first, but not bad because of that. Common route had some pretty funny segments, especially Yoshino-related scenes. I love that guy :D Also really, really enjoyed the whole mystery with Kotarou going to the underground space, encountering familiars, and other supernatural events. There was just the right amount of these to spice up the generic slice of life scenes and keep my attention. November 13th event was also done pretty well, when everyone just disappears. Really makes you feel despair.

The Mappie segments seemed cool at first and helped with immersion, but on the 5th playthrough it got pretty tiring to have to search every spot on the map with the cursor to make sure you don't miss friends/quests etc. Even doing that, it's almost impossible you will get all of them by the time you finish the game, as there are certain ones you have to do in a specific order or on a specific route. A lot of the hidden question marks were also outright boring and not funny to me :/ Still, getting all the quests was well worth it for the oppai ending. And damn, didn't expect Akane to actually hold up her end of the promise. That's why she is best girl :D

My favorite heroine route would have to have been Konohana's. The writing style certainly confused me quite a bit, even though I was right in the end to suspect she was Asahi. The only part I didn't really like is closer to the end when Kotarou just couldn't figure out what she wanted, and Konohana was being a little bitch. Akane was my favorite heroine but her route just didn't impress me as much. Chihaya, though, while my least favorite girl, had a surprisingly refreshing shounen-esque route which I actually enjoyed.

First part of the Moon route was great, but they kinda ruined it when the rest of the Occult Club gang showed up. Dunno, it just felt a bit too generic and predictable. And really, he was able to summon them and they understood what to do instantly without any explanation? Ah well. Ignoring that, the route was still pretty cool and I loved the atmosphere.

Terra route delivered. I enjoyed learning more in-depth about Kotarou's childhood, and it explained really well how all the other routes happened. As far as I understand, when he got the choice to capture/kill/leave the Key alone, he chose the capture/kill option in every route before Terra, resulting in him getting hurt, Kotori saving him by putting Aurora in his wound, and then him spending several years in a coma and forgetting everything about Gaia and Guardian. By the time he would wake up, it was already too late to stop the fighting and save Earth.

The one thing I didn't really like in Terra is the Earth Dragon.. fight? Dunno if you can call it that. He just one-shotted him.. I guess it makes sense, in every other route Kotarou tried to preserve his life force by not using Rewrite too much, which limited his abilities. In this route he just used it as much as needed without caring for himself, and this probably allowed him to easily get enough power to kill the Earth Dragon, but still, it felt a bit underwhelming.

There are some things I didn't understand though.. Who was the girl in Akane's route that spoke to Kotarou through his mind right after Kotarou tried going to the roof of the Gaia HQ? What did she mean by "Choose me"?

Also, in Akane route again, when they evacuated to the underground space, why did they have to stay there? Didn't Kotarou stop Salvation midway by killing the Key? If so, wouldn't they be able to come out of the shelter after a while, when things settled down? I don't understand why they decided to stay there for a thousand years. In Shizuru's route, they basically did the same thing except they actually came out of the shelter after Salvation happened and were able to live on the surface again.

^Glad you enjoyed Rewrite!

Alotta people liked Yoshino huh... I hated his ass :P

Yeah, fk Rewrite's Mappie segments. And FK the "quests" and finding all the friends in general for the oppai ending, too. Too much chorework :saber:

Who the hell is Konohana? Oh, Lucia? Yeah, her route was awesome. I wasn't able to catch the revelation, but the entire spooky atmosphere with the glass breaking and whatnot was trippy. And that sunflower field -> black scene...

Oh yes. Akane best girl, too bad her route was meh. Too much Kotarou just letting her do her own thing w/o him actually questioning what she was doing ._.

I loved Moon. Classic everyone-bands-together-for-one-final-epic-showdown cheesy goodness.

Mixed feelings 'bout Terra, first time I read it I hated it 'cos I was expecting LB! Refrain type revelations, not an entire separate storyline ><. I came to appreciate it more on a second read.

~~
It's been almost 2 years since I finish rewrite, so sadly i cannot answer your other questions :rimu:

Haha, I liked the cheesy "lone wolf" personality Yoshino has, and it's pretty hilarious how Kotarou always made fun of him for that :P

I wish I knew when I started reading it there would be no way to complete all the quests in a single playthrough anyway. Would have just used the skip button on Mappie segments and then did it all afterwards following a walkthrough.

Konohana.. that's what I always called her in my head when reading, I guess this is due to some cognitive dissonance that results from the Japanese VAs pronouncing "Lucia" as "Ruchia" :PHer killing off the entire city was a pretty crazy plot twist I didn't expect, though.. I figured something was off when she went to see Kotarou like nothing happened, but dayum I didn't expect those scientists to use her as an anti-key weapon... At least I'm pretty sure Lucia never forgave herself for doing it, while Akane seemed to have forgotten the fact she literally killed off most of the human population and lived happily ever after with Kotarou  :makina:

TBH I kinda wish Kotarou would actually go through with Salvation in Akane's route. I think it would feel more consistent with his behavior the rest of the route if he did that. He basically blindly followed Akane, so I was hoping for a scene where he finally finds her in the sky and they hug each other as everyone around them disappears off the face of the earth. Nice and depressing, just how I like it :D

Haven't read Little Busters so I'm not sure what you were expecting from Terra, but actually I got pretty much what I expected. I thought it would basically be the same as the heroine routes, and Kotarou is given one last chance to save the earth. Didn't think it would begin from his childhood, but that was a pleasant surprise.

Hah yeah no problem about the questions, Rewrite is pretty long so it's no wonder you don't remember some of the details. Heck, I probably missed or forgot something myself which is why I'm confused about those things xD

48 minutes ago, Barktooth said:

Konohana.. that's what I always called her in my head when reading, I guess this is due to some cognitive dissonance that results from the Japanese VAs pronouncing "Lucia" as "Ruchia" :PHer killing off the entire city was a pretty crazy plot twist I didn't expect, though.. I figured something was off when she went to see Kotarou like nothing happened, but dayum I didn't expect those scientists to use her as an anti-key weapon... At least I'm pretty sure Lucia never forgave herself for doing it, while Akane seemed to have forgotten the fact she literally killed off most of the human population and lived happily ever after with Kotarou  :makina:

Akane 'Bio Hitler' and Lucia 'Poison Ivy' turning into ruthless massacre queens and Kotarou treating their actions more like a simple shop lifting incident than serious crimes killed the whole VN for me. I liked them both in the common route but hated them with a passion at the end of their routes. I've no sympathy for mass murderers.

Calling them mass murderers is over simplifying their situation quite a bit, but its been far too long since I read Rewrite to properly support my claim. So I'll just leave it at that.

The girl you're talking about Barktooth was either the "current" Gaia figure head or the little girl that was next in line after Akane. Its fuzzy but those are the only two that I can think of.

Gaia created an entirely different subspace intending to live there for the rest of eternity. Thats why in Terra, it took Kotarou's Mother, Father, and Tsukuno to push Kotarou and Akane out of the City of Stone. In Terra, you learn that its possible to lock people into the City of Stone.

....I hate you for getting me hooked back into Rewrite. I couldn't easily look into the other routes since my saves of those routes are gone but I had my saves from Terra still. All the emotions I feel now thanks to going through the route again to reach the City of Stone portion... makes me remember how sad I was reading this. Jesus Christ, I can barely get myself together after reliving through the pain I felt.

I really don't get your point about Refrain Eclipsed. If anything, Terra had more jaw dropping revelations than Refrain did. And I guess its already too late to spoiler some of these posts so that people who might not have finished reading all of Rewrite can post in this thread...

• 4 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:33 PM, jaxter0987 said:

Calling them mass murderers is over simplifying their situation quite a bit, but its been far too long since I read Rewrite to properly support my claim. So I'll just leave it at that.

The girl you're talking about Barktooth was either the "current" Gaia figure head or the little girl that was next in line after Akane. Its fuzzy but those are the only two that I can think of.

Gaia created an entirely different subspace intending to live there for the rest of eternity. Thats why in Terra, it took Kotarou's Mother, Father, and Tsukuno to push Kotarou and Akane out of the City of Stone. In Terra, you learn that its possible to lock people into the City of Stone.

....I hate you for getting me hooked back into Rewrite. I couldn't easily look into the other routes since my saves of those routes are gone but I had my saves from Terra still. All the emotions I feel now thanks to going through the route again to reach the City of Stone portion... makes me remember how sad I was reading this. Jesus Christ, I can barely get myself together after reliving through the pain I felt.

I really don't get your point about Refrain Eclipsed. If anything, Terra had more jaw dropping revelations than Refrain did. And I guess its already too late to spoiler some of these posts so that people who might not have finished reading all of Rewrite can post in this thread...

Ah, you didn't quote me so I saw this post only now. Thanks for answering the questions. I can see that girl speaking to Kotarou's mind being Shimako, I guess.

I'm still not sure about the underground space though. I don't remember well anymore, but wasn't it supposed to only have resources to sustain life for like 1000 or 10,000 years? I don't think it was for eternity, though maybe the space itself would exist for that long. So why would they not try to go back to the surface after things settled down? Is it because Earth's resources would still deplete quicker than in 1000 years since Salvation wasn't fully completed?

Well, at this point I don't care that much anymore, I forgot most of the details of what happened already anyway. I understand your feelings though, I felt pretty depressed especially reading Akane's route and now every time I listen to Sorrowless I feel the same emotions again. Rewrite really left me with a lot of attachment to the characters and the world, I honestly didn't realize just how much I liked the VN until a week passed after me finishing it and I already wanted to re-read it.