Shan Gui

InvertMouse

I guess I could ask this here.  Are there any VNs on steam worth getting or no?

I really enjoyed Long Live the Queen. Far more than I was expecting to.

There's also Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus. Of course, Narcissu is also on there for free.

I haven't personally played it, but some people have favorable impressions of World End Economica. I've seen some mixed opinions on it though.

I guess I could ask this here.  Are there any VNs on steam worth getting or no?

Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus are of overall good quality, and have more gameplay elements than the typical VN. Long Live the Queen is similarly interesting. As with most Steam games, however, it might be in your best interest to wait until they're on sale.

Well, it is foolish to judge solely on reviews, but according to them, Shan Gui is like Go Go Nippon the China Edition XD. I heard it is incredibly short as well, which is fine by me--no padded content. Not much praises given to the storytelling, but until I check it out for myself, I have no idea :)~

Dang, I guess there's no love for the game here, haha (TUT)~

I picked up and tried out the game last night. It is more or less like the reviewers have said. Quite a lot like Go Go Nippon except in China. The two heroines have pretty much no tension so it is a calm sort of tale if you are into that. They more or less exist just to show us around. Artworks are fantastic.

Importantly, I very much respect them having Chinese speaking heroines with Chinese names. That is what I meant by folks doing their own thing and being true to who to hey are, while still having love for things they enjoy. This game will probably never get noticed much. It is a short game with a tame journey, so there is no saying is is unfair. Still, I respect it without basing it on popularity or profit.

Importantly, I very much respect them having Chinese speaking heroines with Chinese names. That is what I meant by folks doing their own thing and being true to who to hey are, while still having love for things they enjoy. This game will probably never get noticed much. It is a short game with a tame journey, so there is no saying is is unfair. Still, I respect it without basing it on popularity or profit.

I really dig what you're saying. The sentiment is kinda contagious even.

For its price point and the extent of your respect, I'm going to purchase the game when I return home tonight. I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing it, but given how short it's supposed to be, I suspect I'll knock it out of the course of a meal or two. 

I really dig what you're saying. The sentiment is kinda contagious even.

For its price point and the extent of your respect, I'm going to purchase the game when I return home tonight. I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing it, but given how short it's supposed to be, I suspect I'll knock it out of the course of a meal or two. 

Thank you! Unfortunately, I doubt it is contagious to a point where it will cause any changes. Pandering games will continue to top the charts.

I hear the game is around an hour long. Okay, that is admittedly a bit short. For five bucks, that will do. So many gamers demand five years of gameplay for a dollar. That is why we have excessive long VNs (or any game for that matter) with severely bloated content. Again, those will continue to do better than the rest. I have been supporting the concise stuff as of late. Shan Gui is very much a tourism type of game, so make the best use of your imagination with those descriptions and it should be an all right time. Just keep the expectations low for the story XD.

Undying and Stray Cat, I very much enjoyed World End Economica and actually backed their project. Much respect for picking a unique premise rather than the standard factory produced themes.

Sunrider is also on Steam at the moment and free, so you can check that out as well. I think others have already talked about it in other forums, but it's worth a try. I think that Shan Gui is a KN, so also keep that in mind if you're thinking about getting it.

Sunrider is also on Steam at the moment and free, so you can check that out as well. I think others have already talked about it in other forums, but it's worth a try. I think that Shan Gui is a KN, so also keep that in mind if you're thinking about getting it.

Yeah, Shan Gui is a KN. By the way, netravelr, just wanted to quickly mention I like what you are doing with Culina. You are doing your own thing. It is all heart and I respect that :). A challenging road but one that is your own.

Thank you! Unfortunately, I doubt it is contagious to a point where it will cause any changes. Pandering games will continue to top the charts.

I hear the game is around an hour long. Okay, that is admittedly a bit short. For five bucks, that will do. So many gamers demand five years of gameplay for a dollar. That is why we have excessive long VNs (or any game for that matter) with severely bloated content. Again, those will continue to do better than the rest. I have been supporting the concise stuff as of late. Shan Gui is very much a tourism type of game, so make the best use of your imagination with those descriptions and it should be an all right time. Just keep the expectations low for the story XD.

Undying and Stray Cat, I very much enjoyed World End Economica and actually backed their project. Much respect for picking a unique premise rather than the standard factory produced themes.

Im kinda of a Isuna Hasekura fanboy so I had to play, I also backed them on kickstarter.

Yeah, Shan Gui is a KN. By the way, netravelr, just wanted to quickly mention I like what you are doing with Culina. You are doing your own thing. It is all heart and I respect that :). A challenging road but one that is your own.

Thanks so much for that! Yeah, it is really a project made out of love. Persona 3/4 is probably my favourite games, but I found myself rushing through the dungeons in order to get to the story/social links even though the reason I originally bought 3 was because I wanted the JRPGness. However, I did really like how both games worked together to create a cohesive whole and I wanted to see how that worked for other genres as well. I didn't really see any games that were doing what I wanted to play and rather than just complain, I figured I'd do it myself. I just hope that we're able to make our goal.  :P I'm really excited about your project as well, I'm a fan of hybridmink's art too.

I really dislike playing VN in a small screen, not much of a portable gamer although I love my DS/3DS

I'm actually a big fan of VNs on a small screen. The issue is that a lot of people will just port what they did for PC rather than design their UI to be for that platform which can make it really annoying to play. I don't have too much time to play games, so with the short bursts of free time I get I'm usually doing on my Vita or iOS device. That's just me though.

No worries netravelr! And thank you for being excited for my project :).

I finished Shan Gui the other night. As the reviewers say, it is indeed around an hour long, and there is pretty much no story to speak of. I am okay with that length, I suppose. When a 30 hour game rambles on and on about meaningless junk, it may as well be an hour long, plus it wasted my time.

• 1 year later...