A document to move us forward *Overview Posted*

As most of you are aware, Tay plans to shift the focus of this site from being mostly about piracy to making Visual Novels popular in the West. As the head honcho of this site it’s his call where to take it, and he has my full support in whatever he decides. Unfortunately he is a very busy man and has limited time with which to plan and scheme and twirl his moustache in ways which inspire dread and despair. Which is where we come in.

The purpose of this thread is to help Tay out by constructing a sample document which aims to make things easier for him. This isn’t a document which will argue for the shifting of Fuwanovel’s focus, this thread isn’t to provide a discussion on what Fuwa is or should be, the purpose of this thread is to construct a document which outlines a path forward for Fuwanovel, a path that heads to our new goal as stated by Tay. Even if most of the ideas are not compatible with Tay’s vision, he can still use the template to insert his own ideas which could save valuable time. And if any ideas are useful to him, this will be yet more time saved.

And if the worst comes to pass and this thread provides much raucousness, then maybe it might light a fire under his arse (once he becomes less busy) and make him get a move on then that might serve some random and undisclosed purpose as well.

This is going to be a “fluid document”, and by that I mean this isn’t an “idea vs idea” type of thing, but instead it will encompass a wide range of ideas simultaneously. It will be a document emphasising a wholistic approach to making VNs popular. So feel free to make suggestions and point out sections which might not be so useful. This doesn’t HAVE to descend into a war, the addition of one idea will not mean the exclusion of another, and most people’s ideas will have a place (initially… heh).

With this in mind I will now create several *placeholder posts*. I will post different sections of the document in these posts once they are finished being drafted. These drafts will then be modified, and added to depending on what the good people of the forum suggest. You will have to demonstrate how these ideas will help further the new goal of the site, though.

The overview (or the tl;dr version of the document) will be up shortly. I need to fix a part that Maef had problems with, amend others, and add a suggestion.

Overview - A tl;dr summary of what the document will be about. It will be modified to respond to the community's critiques.

Intro: The goal of this sample document is to examine the goal of Fuwanovel as dictated by Tay, and to construct a sample strategy for Fuwa moving forward that aligns with the stated goal. This is a sample document because it was not written by Tay, and therefore anything recorded inside is subject to his approval. It should be fairly easy to remove unwanted sections, add additional pages or sections, or modify the text. This is a long term goal for the Fuwa Community (emphasis on long-term.)

Part 1 - Define Tay's motto. What does 'making VN's popular' involve. Identified 2 components to this goal, increasing the fanbase and ensuring the Industry's survival. Recognised influencing the industry requires power and influence, power Fuwa does not yet have. Suggest 2 phases to Fuwa's progression going forward, the first phase concentrating on increasing the fanbase and collecting the VN fanbase to Fuwa. Collecting the VN fanbase to Fuwa will increase its influence, which will be needed for phase 2, which will aim to assist in the health of the industry.

Part 2 - Before we start, a short piece of analysis is necessary. This analysis will be performed on the definition of the term 'visual novel'. It will detail why current definitions are inadequate, what sorts of games are usually identified as a VN, and the opportunities the flexible definition of the genre presents in attracting different types of gamers to the genre.

On a side note, I posted a thread in the VN section a month ago introducing a piece of Interactive Fiction to the participants of the forum. However, because this piece of IF conformed to VNDB’s definition of a VN, people accepted the game without a second thought. This presents an opportunity, which will be addressed fully later on, but will revolve around tapping into the fanbase of existing gaming genres. Why try and build a fanbase for visual novels if you have the ability and opportunity to tap into existing ones. It will require a definition of Visual Novel which can coexist with other genres. Something to think on.

Part 3 - Phase 1 described here. This will include:

1. Making Fuwa a 'one shop stop' for the Visual novel (type game) consumer. This means including all the information a consumer could want - Like up to date news/analysis on Japanese and English VNs (and possibly some specific IFs) Improve the VN database on Fuwanovel by providing in depth information on each game (both Japanese and English VNs... possibly some IFs too) including reviews, synopsis, gallery, walkthroughs, a tagging system, availability (pirate locations or locations on where to buy,) an embedded 30 minute demo Youtube video just above the torrent link, ratings systems (EGS and VNDB... and possibly a unique Fuwa rating system down the track which may or may not be linked to a Users profile,) related series (whether the VN has ties to an anime, a manga, a LN or so forth,) and related merchandise available to buy. Also Fuwa could put together a monthly magazine recapping all the projects, news and events of the past month.
  2. A community section for the site. Representing things relating to the Visual Novel community’s contribution to Fuwa’s goal.  This could include a noticeboard which would contain requests for help concerning projects (translation, development, help with the lexicon etc) Showcasing the lexicon, the bundling together of VN introduction kits. 

3. A friendly place to chat (forums.) We already have this. Restructing is needed though. Consider having an admin in charge of each area (content, user stuff, tech) so when the leader needs a break the site doesn't ground to a halt (I'm not implying anything here.) Also maybe a news area which links to the blog...
  4. Piracy. People like free stuff. I should note that if Fuwa plans to create relationships with the industry, it may need to reconsider its views on piracy at that point. But that's a very long way away. Obviously these torrent links will be taken down if official versions are available in english.
  5. A comprehensive, aggressive and continuous outreaching program. This will include Tay's outreach program to other sites. It would also recognise certain opportunities outlined in part 2 of this document, targeting gamers of different genres (I point to how many people are currently being introduced to VNs through adventure games.) Targeting anime fans by bundling together VNs of existing anime may or may not be necessary. This may also include suggesting certain VNs to small game sites to review. Like, for example, suggesting Yumina to some smallish RPG sites. Problem - how to get gamers to sample the introduction packages in significantish numbers? The distribution of Fuwa's monthly magazine to showcase what the VN industry offers gamers.
  6. The construction of certain committees. One such committee could be in charge of the identification of short-medium length VNs that groups of Western gamers would likely enjoy. VNs with RPG gameplay, or strategy gameplay, or untranslated VNs which have anime tie ins, for example. They could then advertise for people to translate these VNs.
  7. An overhaul of the main site. The main site will be used to service the visual novel consumer. But that would be pointless if the site is difficult or confusing to manage. An update, reducing redundancies on the site, and making the the about section up-to-date is necessary. Reducing clutter, streamlining the design etc. This section will be added to once Nayleen posts on this thread in detail, and in language I can understand :P
  8. - 100. *These pages are placeholders* XD

Part 4 - Phase 2 is described here. The beginning of phase 2 is a ways off, Fuwa first needs to build influence. These ideas are not complete, and are geared towards supporting the industry.

1. Create significant relationships with developers and localisation studios. For example, interviewing Japanese doujin developers and the same for their English counterparts, eventually get some spokespeople for developers to sign up to the Fuwa forum. 
  2. Building support for commercial VN development and localisation on the site/forums. For example, Fuwa could add a page to members user profiles where users can show off their visual novel collection. This idea is based around the idea of a gamer tag.
  3. Organising Fundraising campaigns on Fuwa, for Japanese or English development. Maybe Fuwa can get an Easter Egg inserted in the game in Fuwa's name :3 
  4. Using influence to aid publicity in the West (*examples go here*)
  5. -100 *these pages are placeholders* XD

Phase 2 is very rushed atm, and feels very bareboned. It will gradually be fixed and strengthened in the days to come.

Change the font used in the OP to the default please

For what it's worth, the only things that feel like they are really going to do much are community outreach to other communities and completing the darn fuwabundle already.

Increasing visibility is paramount to get more users since you can only grow such much organically, so you're right.

I still think the site could use a major facelift and some big features to keep users interested in coming back.

Hello Nayleen :3

So basically 2 things are necessary, you need to bring people to the site through a comprehensive outreach program (and increasing visibility,) and you need to keep them here through the services which are offered. 

It should be an outreach program designed not only to bring VN fans in from other communities, but to drag in new people from other genres. This is because we're trying to expand the VN fanbase as a whole, not just expand Fuwa's userbase. This is also what some of the committees are aimed at addressing, better ways to outreach etc etc.

And once they come here we want them to stay through the services offered via the site - for example the ability to access unique and comprehensive information (like reviews, demos and news items etc,) in depth discussion and unique insights (it would be great if we could have more of this,) a friendly atmosphere, and maybe far into the future access to developers on the forum.

The main site could definitely use a facelift, most people keep saying this.

Also you're "big features" thing sounds really interesting :3. 

Currently this strategy (and overview) is still fairly "light" so If anybody has any suggestions then feel free to voice them. 

A rough outline of changes lined up - some obviously changed in the meantime, so don't take this as 100% confirmed.

Here are many of the changes we'll need to address. The one thing not included is a complete overhaul of the FAQ pages. I'm still working through what I want there.

Front Page

• Remove Twitter feed
  • Remove Wiki banner up top
  • (Graphics) Change logo - "Fan Translated VN repository" > New tagline  (I'll do this one)
  • If possible, remove the "Volunteer" tab at the top
  • Remove DramaOST from "Awesome Sites"
  • Rename "Awesome Sites" to "Some Friends"
  • Keep facebook and blog news sections, though be aware the news will be changing
  • Push the news blocks down slightly and add a "Welcome to Fuwanovel" section (larger  Welcome to Fuwanovel!" text, and then a short paragraph I'll write)
  • When at Fuwanovel.org the tab on the browser reads "Home - Fuwanovel - Translated Visual Novels". Change this to "Fuwanovel - Supporting Visual Novels in the West"
Browse Page
  • Top text needs changing. Remove the current text and replace it with, "Welcome to Fuwanovel! We're passionate about visual novels and want to help them become popular in the west. Here's a list of great Visual Novels, and if you want some help choosing a game to play, please see our Recommendations section in the forums (add a link). You can get a RSS of all our torrents below. PLEASE NOTE: This place is only a distribution site, the actual translations are the work of individual groups spread across the whole internet."
Otome Section
  • Top text: remove this line "Also check out this list of all English and English-translated Otome Games. Includes western developed ones as well."
Upcoming Section
  • Remove all the top text: "Welcome to Fuwanovel. This is a listing of fan translations that are in-the-works. Also see Tinfoil's incredible VN Translation Status Tracker! If you would like me to do an announcement for you... say for example you are looking for a hacker or a translator (or you want to plug yourself), email me: [email protected] because that is what we do! Also if you are looking to volunteer yourself, you can email me as well."
  • Replace it with, "Here are the details for some ongoing and cancelled projects. Red boxes indicate a cancelled project. If you're interested in learning more about Fan Translation, have questions, or want to participate in projects, please see the Fan Translation section in the Fuwanovel Forums" (add a link to the fuwanovel forums words)
  • (We'll update ^ text when we figure out what we're going to do with the Upcoming section)
Games Comments
  • I'd like to just remove them and link to the forums. People write me all the time complaining about them, and I don't want to waste manpower on patrolling/moderating comments.

Something I pestered Mangagamer about in the past was a Gamertag for VNs--a graphic representation of the VNs you own that you can link to in all the forums you frequent.  This is similar to yet subtly different from a VNDB profile; the point here is to display your collection, not just show all the VNs you've played.  It's a step towards de-vilifying VNs as a shameful vice, and overturning the current culture of freeloading and replacing it with pride in supporting a growing niche hobby.

I think that the About section needs to be heavily rewritten as it isn't very informative. It consists mostly of Aeru's personal thoughts. The section that explains what a visual novel is could especially use a rewrite as it isn't very informative. The video definitely needs to change as well as almost all the scenes in it are SOL scenes (even the F/SN ones!).

Part 3 - Phase 1 described here. This will include:

1. Making Fuwa a 'one shop stop' for the Visual novel (type game) consumer. This means including all the information a consumer could want - Like up to date news/analysis on Japanese and English VNs (and possibly some specific IFs) Improve the VN database on Fuwanovel by providing in depth information on each game (both Japanese and English VNs... possibly some IFs too) including reviews, synopsis, gallery, walkthroughs, a tagging system, availability (pirate locations or locations on where to buy,) an embedded 30 minute demo Youtube video just above the torrent link, ratings systems (EGS and VNDB... and possibly a unique Fuwa rating system down the track which may or may not be linked to a Users profile,) related series (whether the VN has ties to an anime, a manga, a LN or so forth,) and related merchandise available to buy. Also Fuwa could put together a monthly magazine recapping all the projects, news and events of the past month.
  2. A community section for the site. Representing things relating to the Visual Novel community’s contribution to Fuwa’s goal.  This could include a noticeboard which would contain requests for help concerning projects (translation, development, help with the lexicon etc) Showcasing the lexicon, the bundling together of VN introduction kits.

At least at the beginning, I think that this "main hub" places for VN's should be editable and/or creatable by anyone.

If we only have a few people working on preparing these pages, it will take forever. First, we open them to editing by anyone, and after enough VN's have been ported over to this system, the existing pages can be supervised and refined accordingly. 

I am not sure merchandise index is needed, however. I think current VN pages are usually made so that first time owners have an understanding of what the VN is about, no? In that case, merchandise is not a "must" since merchandise is made for the fans of the VN/series.

Also, this "hub" structure might mean an infrastructure change in Fuwa I think... though I have close to no knowledge of web design so do not quote me on that.

I think that the About section needs to be heavily rewritten as it isn't very informative. It consists mostly of Aeru's personal thoughts. The section that explains what a visual novel is could especially use a rewrite as it isn't very informative. The video definitely needs to change as well as almost all the scenes in it are SOL scenes (even the F/SN ones!).

Yup, get rid of the "About" section.

And make a new "what is a VN" section.

In it could be the definition, a few examples, links to useful threads like Clephas' and Kaguya' top50 -or even rewrite then on the site. (I'm against a video unless it's thoughfully planned, edited and agreed beforehand bye a group of comptent people)

At least at the beginning, I think that this "main hub" places for VN's should be editable and/or creatable by anyone.

If we only have a few people working on preparing these pages, it will take forever. First, we open them to editing by anyone, and after enough VN's have been ported over to this system, the existing pages can be supervised and refined accordingly. 

I am not sure merchandise index is needed, however. I think current VN pages are usually made so that first time owners have an understanding of what the VN is about, no? In that case, merchandise is not a "must" since merchandise is made for the fans of the VN/series.

Also, this "hub" structure might mean an infrastructure change in Fuwa I think... though I have close to no knowledge of web design so do not quote me on that.

Nah I don't think that's a good idea to let people edit freely.

And it won't take as much time as you may think.

Anyway, I like this document, great job Rooke. Let me know if you still need help/feedback.

Sorry for any mistakes in this reply. I have to be somewhere and I am almost out the door at the moment

If we only have a few people working on preparing these pages, it will take forever. 

Rest assured the idea is for more than a few people to be working on those pages, but I don’t think those pages should be edited by anyone (http://www.penny-arcade.com.au/comic/2005/12/16 ). 

Already some of the work required for the main hub is being done by the community. Reviews and Walkthroughs are both things offered by users of the forum (there’s a walkthrough section, and Down has put together an excellent thread collecting reviews https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/6085-index-of-vn-reviews-analysis-and-discussions-on-fuwanovel/ ) But why hide these excellent contributions in the forum? These will (of course) need a quick edit for grammar, and a quick check for comprehensiveness before it can go up on the site. Maybe later, if Fuwanovel obtains a staff reviewer, it can differentiate between staff and user reviews.

This means people creating reviews and walkthroughs on the forum will be making a very real contribution to the site. Maybe a little icon, award or token regarding this can be entered into the user’s profile. Or something else. Thoughts anybody?

The news and analysis section is the blog, and I believe Tay plans to organise a team of writers for that, under a head editor (and when I say “I believe”, what I really mean is “that’s what he said” and I’m totally holding him to it… I think he said it anyway.) I thought it sounded like an excellent idea at the time, but why not expand this “head editor’s” job so he doesn’t just manage the blog, but Facebook content, and Twitter content also. And maybe even manage the content going up on the main site (like reviews, walkthroughs, synopses and demos.) And maybe rename this head editor ‘Admin for content’, with all the rights and responsibilities implied. It will be this admin’s responsibility to organise participation and review content going up on the site. This will free up a lot of Tay’s time, with Tay just needing to ‘oversee’ instead of ‘do’.

The magazine is for the future, once we increase our content output.

Fuwa will need volunteers for the Youtube demos though. 

You're right, the merchandise isn't very important. It's more a thought bubble right now.

I don't know the design philosophy behind the current Fuwa database but it isn't very important to me (sorry.) I’m interested in how Fuwa plans to move forward, and the planned hub is a service to all VN consumers not just the first time consumer. The idea behind a visual novel hub is it will become a service which caters to the needs and wants of visual novel fans, not just people new to a series. We want people to regard Fuwanovel as the main place for all things Visual Novels, to come and to stay.

Regarding web design that's really not an area I know much about. I'm sure Nayleen or someone else could answer your question for you, though.

@Nayleen: This is a very detailed and comprehensive piece. When you finish it, it can slot straight into part 3 where suggested changes and strategies for Fuwanovel going forward are fleshed out (it’s too big for the overview.) 

@Zaka: The new twitter feed looks good and I’m sure it will be an essential part of Fuwa’s social media push going forward.

@Sanah: That sounds like an excellent idea. Would it be connected to your user profile? What would it involve? *Ponders where to include it in the overview*

@Beato: Whoa, that's bad! 0.0

@Maef: Any help is definitely welcom

@Sanah: That sounds like an excellent idea. Would it be connected to your user profile? What would it involve? *Ponders where to include it in the overview*

As implemented on Fuwanovel, it would probably need to be connected to a Fuwanovel user profile, and users would add games that they've purchased to a "collection list".  This would be distinct from a VNDB profile, since the purpose of a VNDB profile is to track games you've played, not that you own.  It would make a nice accessory to a Fuwanovel VN database.  This suggestion would thus fit best under Part 3 Section 1 as one prong of a strategy to promote a community that is supportive of commercial VN development and localization.

You could extend on this idea with small incentives: for example, linking forum titles to the number of VNs in your collection rather than post count.  Sure, it could be spoofed, but that's sort of like bragging that you donated to charities that you didn't actually donate to--the "problem" would be self-limiting.

@Sanah: This is certainly an interesting idea, probably not related to a VN database though (which would just hold information about VNs). To be honest it has caused me to re-evaluate a large section of the strategy. Initially phase 1 of the plan was to focus on building up a community at Fuwa, and was going to be initiated first. Then later on phase 2 (focusing on the health of the industry) would activate. I designed it this way because I thought Fuwa could do little to help the industry without more power.

Your idea is eye-opening, and shows there are steps Fuwa can take right now to help promote the industry. This will mean the document will need to be changed slightly. The need for phases, for example, will disappear. It also opens up many possibilities for Fuwa to support commercial development and localisation.

I’m going to temporarily place your idea in Phase 2 (because it focuses on supporting the industry) until I can rearrange the overview to reflect this shift in strategy. Quite the eye-opening idea. Top job! 

(I don't think eliminating member titles based on post count would be received so fondly, because it's such a staple of normal forum operating procedures. But that doesn't mean a user couldn't obtain unique titles based on their collection, or other awards/perks.)

@Zhurai: A fantastic idea! This will go in the Community section. Do you have any examples of the sort of support you'd like to see?

-------------------------------------------------

Concerning the document, Parts 1 and 2 will be posted(hopefully) by the end of the week. It isn’t very interesting, just definitions and analysis that will provide the foundation on which parts of the strategy will be based. I’ll be nice though, and put the boring stuff in spoiler tags. If you have any objections to those parts when they're posted, please feel free to voice them. Suggestions too.

@Zhurai: A fantastic idea! This will go in the Community section. Do you have any examples of the sort of support you'd like to see?

* random notes, don't think many of them need to be implemented but random ideas from a tired mind *

personally (not part of the staff)...

• I'd personally like to seperate the fantranslation(localization) projects from any original vn projects for one.
  • Bloggers for Fuwa (and by extension the social media - e.g. twitter/facebook) could also post articles/announce about the releases/progress (seperate post from the translation updates?)
  • Section on main site for said VN's (in seperate section so people don't complain I guess), I'm thinking it's better to just link to the game/product page or the developer's website + their thread instead of releasing torrents for them...
  • podcast, bring them on
  • possibly let them leak information exclusively through fuwanovel :3  (... well nothing much can be done here about that on Fuwanovel's side but oh well)
  • Project management / Repository/File management for groups that can't access/afford it (Dedicated space) - probably/unsure of how possible this is with current setup.

that was really stream of consciousness and I probably missed other ideas to implement it. (and isn't really organized. I apologize for that~...)

• Bloggers for Fuwa (and by extension the social media - e.g. twitter/facebook) could also post articles/announce about the releases/progress (seperate post from the translation updates?

Aren't we already doing this, albeit slackily

Also if anyone wants to talk blog with me or whatever please do contact me, haven't received a single word from management pretty much from the day I started (excepting a little stuff with Steve when I was exceedingly silly I guess). That said I'll keep moving things along, it's just that I can't add prospective authors or anything at the moment though they can admittedly pm me with articles...

• Bloggers for Fuwa (and by extension the social media - e.g. twitter/facebook) could also post articles/announce about the releases/progress (seperate post from the translation updates?

Aren't we already doing this, albeit slackily

Also if anyone wants to talk blog with me or whatever please do contact me, haven't received a single word from management pretty much from the day I started (excepting a little stuff with Steve when I was exceedingly silly I guess). That said I'll keep moving things along, it's just that I can't add prospective authors or anything at the moment though they can admittedly pm me with articles...

Well, I guess, but then again there's not as many original vn's running around compared to translation news, but I was mainly actually just putting a bunch of things to do (in general) regarding original vn's support.