Do you think that List of all OELVNs would be useful?

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should I make a list Of all OELVNs?

• Yes, go for it.
    • No, but you could make a List of all decent looking OELVNs.
    • No, it's not needed nor would it be useful.

This poll is closed to new votes

First this is not really a project request, I am thinking of creating one myself and I just want to ask people if they think I should make it, in terms would they found it helpful.

So do you thing I should make it? would you find it useful?

Disclaimer : I'm not saying this as an OELVN creator, but as a VN reader.

Honestly, a visual novel is a visual novel, even if the creators are not japanese. And while it's true that a lot of OELVN are very amateur-ish and tend to fail to reach a certain quality, there are some OELVN that are very good, and that would deserve some more recognition.

I don't see why a reader would try to differentiate that much (good) OELVN and japanese VN, since they are basically offering the same experience. Maybe the only thing differentiating is that the stories and plots are different of different type / genre.

So I'm all for it, granted you manage to pick only the most interesting OELVN.

Disclaimer : I'm not saying this as an OELVN creator, but as a VN reader.

Honestly, a visual novel is a visual novel, even if the creators are not japanese. And while it's true that a lot of OELVN are very amateur-ish and tend to fail to reach a certain quality, there are some OELVN that are very good, and that would deserve some more recognition.

I don't see why a reader would try to differentiate that much (good) OELVN and japanese VN, since they are basically offering the same experience. Maybe the only thing differentiating is that the stories and plots are different of different type / genre.

So I'm all for it, granted you manage to pick only the most interesting OELVN.

Okami's list of OELVN novels you must read before you die.

Go defeat Kaguya.

Well rather then creating a list of interesting OELVNs idea was to create a list of all of them, I haven't read enough OELVNs to create a "OELVNs you must read before you die". True I guess I could try to make a list of decent looking OELVNs by picking up only the ones that seem like creators have really put some effort in it.

PS: Poll Added.

The problem with this in my opinion is quality control. 

Yes OELVNs can be good but most are amateurish. Do you want every single one in the same list/thread?

If you're really talking about every OELVN ever then the list is going to be rather massive since you're including stuff ranging from Katawa Shoujo to silly Android VNs made in 24 hours and since there's no specifications on genres, ratings, popularity or anything people won't know what's good or what's bad.

If you have some form of quality control I think maybe you can try making a list, but like Zaka said there's already a site for it, not to mention this site includes pictures, a short summary and genres so it's a lot more effective, so I think this is needless effort, but if you really want to spend the time on it, go ahead.

Unlike the list of english translated VNs which is shorter, a list of OELVNs would just be massive and you'd end up scrolling for 10 mins just to get to the bottom, people would rather use a search engine than scroll through that long of a list.

I did read it I just don't know how complete are they. They seem to lack a lot of titles, they also don't offer a commercial OELVNs.

http://games.renpy.org/statistics

So 724 games have been made with the Ren'Py engine (most VN are, although there are a few which are not if you can manage to track those down.) 683 have been listed on games.renpy.org (including commercial releases.) That seems fairly comprehensive although I don't know why there's a 40 game discrepancy. You may need to look into that.

Also these only include VNs made with the ren'py engine. I'm fairly certain there's VNs out there that have been made not using Ren'Py.