The Rant Thread

Tatsujin

It's more likely that you have different interests, different philosophies etc etc.

I dunno, I felt the same way, and most of my classmates were into alcohol, drugs, partying, getting laid and other similar stereotypical teen activities.  Besides that, they generally acted about as mature as the average middle schooler, showed little control over their emotions, and seemed to lack a basic capacity for logic.  Might just be pop culture, but I definitely felt what MatalUpa is talking about.  Again, I'm generalizing based on the people I was around, so not everyone at my school was like that, just a majority.

I dunno, I felt the same way, and most of my classmates were into alcohol, drugs, partying, getting laid and other similar stereotypical teen activities. 

Once more, a difference in interests. Maturity has nothing to do with not going to parties, having sex or drinking alcohol. Maturity means being measured in the activities you take part in, being responsible, thinking before you act, taking responsibility. It is possible to be mature and take part in most of these things. 

I went to a few parties when I was a teenager, very loud, not my thing. That doesn't mean I was more mature than anybody else, I wasn't, it DID mean I didn't like loud parties.

Once more, a difference in interests. Maturity has nothing to do with not going to parties, having sex or drinking alcohol. Maturity means being measured in the activities you take part in, being responsible, thinking before you act, taking responsibility. It is possible to be mature and take part in most of these things. 

I went to a few parties when I was a teenager, very loud, not my thing. That doesn't mean I was more mature than anybody else, I wasn't, it DID mean I didn't like loud parties.

The thing is, most mature people, at least according to our society, wouldn't feel the need to act out is such a huge way.  Most of those same people I was talking about were sexist, shirked responsibility, and thought that they should be able to do as they please regardless of what the law, or anyone else, said otherwise.  Believe me, I got to know them over a period of 4+ years, almost none of them were ever mature, at least that I saw.

The thing is, most mature people, at least according to our society, wouldn't feel the need to act out is such a huge way.  Most of those same people I was talking about were sexist, shirked responsibility, and thought that they should be able to do as they please regardless of what the law, or anyone else, said otherwise.  Believe me, I got to know them over a period of 4+ years, almost none of them were ever mature, at least that I saw.

Yeah, that’s rubbish. Nowhere in the definition of ‘maturity’ does it say ‘always refrains from letting their hair down.’

You don’t know a person very well until you actually live with them, and unless you’re close friends with everybody in the school I very much doubt you know these people well enough to judge them. They may appear immature, wild, and emotional, but people look like a lot of things. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if things were always as they appeared to be? 

I knew of someone in high school, on drugs, partying, very wild and loud, had plenty of talent as a musician though. I thought what an immature person this person was, she was throwing her (considerable) talent away because of her lack of maturity. Not long afterward she committed suicide. Turned out she came from a very abusive family, she wasn't immature but distressed. Very sad. Another person I knew who regularly flaunted the law as a teenager is now a very respectable policeman, because at the end of the day people build character by getting out of their comfort zones, experiencing new things and forging relationships. These form new pathways in the brain, these activities lead to maturity. People don't grow as individuals by locking themselves in their rooms (says 'Rooke the hermit' who surrounds himself with books...)

@MetalUpa: Yeah, school can be a fairly brutal time. It’s one of the most inefficient and pointless institutions which currently exists, and it totally refuses to change or modernise so it’s quickly losing relevancy. It also punishes those who can’t network or build relationships effectively.

That being said, don’t try and rush through life. Is there any reason you are desperate to get into a relationship right now? Especially when you don’t value the people around you. Is there any reason you’re desperate to go to the school dance? For what reason and purpose? Is there any tangible benefit to participating in this event? Besides a small boost in pleasure, and satisfaction at being included in a crowd you don’t have much respect for?

Regarding your inability to connect with people, you may have to do a bit of searching. Visit anime conventions or something, that kind of thing. If there's nobody around you that connects with you, that just means you have to look harder. Despite what a lot of youngsters think you're not an individual, there are plenty of other people like you around, you just may have to search a little.

Regarding your neighbourhood, that doesn't sound like such a bad place to live. It would be worse if you had abusive neighbours, that's when you have real problems. If you think they're fake, concentrate on building up your skills and don't associate with them so much. 

Avoid the abusive relationships though, they're not very good for you. Don't be so desperate to be in a relationship that you'll put up with it either. You're very young, you have your whole life ahead of you. Just concentrate on getting through this period, and establishing a clear path forward.

Yeah, that’s rubbish. Nowhere in the definition of ‘maturity’ does it say ‘always refrains from letting their hair down.’

You don’t know a person very well until you actually live with them, and unless you’re close friends with everybody in the school I very much doubt you know these people well enough to judge them. They may appear immature, wild, and emotional, but people look like a lot of things. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if things were always as they appeared to be? 

I knew of someone in high school, on drugs, partying, very wild and loud, had plenty of talent as a musician though. I thought what an immature person this person was, she was throwing her (considerable) talent away because of her lack of maturity. Not long afterward she committed suicide. Turned out she came from a very abusive family, she wasn't immature but distressed. Very sad. Another person I knew who regularly flaunted the law as a teenager is now a very respectable policeman, because at the end of the day people build character by getting out of their comfort zones, experiencing new things and forging relationships. These form new pathways in the brain, these activities lead to maturity. People don't grow as individuals by locking themselves in their rooms (says 'Rooke the hermit' who surrounds himself with books...)

I know that I didn't really know them, but the persona they had at school was that of a very immature individual.  That's all I could really judge them on, and they largely knew that their behavior would be repulsive to everyone that didn't think like them.  I'll concede that some of them were probably suffering from issues at home, but really, it was just too large a group to be completely made up of people with emotional issues.  I'm not talking about a handful of people in the school, I'm talking about 1/3 of the entire school acted that way.  I'm not exaggerating.

I don't recommend judging people on their personas. It is very inaccurate, and you don't really see them as people. Maturity has very little to do with how people behave when they're goofing off with their friends, but rather how they deal with situations. It's about character, not personas.

And repulsive is subjective.

Yeah, that would be nice except for the fact that I have no real friends to be with. And forgive me, but I have no desire to be in a group where I'm the only one without a date. I tried it once in my Freshman year. I asked a girl out to a dance, and she told me she wasn't going. Turns out that she was going, just not with me. She didn't even have the fucking decency to tell it straight to my face that she wasn't interested. Girls think that by lying, they can avoid hurting a person's feelings. It's not like that at all. I was deeply hurt, and even moreso when I saw her there. I went to that dance alone. Without a group because no one invited me. Without a date because no girl would go with me. I was completely fucking miserable and crying my eyes out the whole time.

I tried again the next year, asking someone else. The exact same thing happened. She lied to me, and instead went regardless. Lucky me. Once again, I was deeply hurt. Our school also has a dance where the girls ask the guys. Of course, no one has ever asked me to anything because no one wants me. And then there was Junior year where I was in that "relationship." Don't need to repeat what's already been said.

Right now I'm a Senior and as you can imagine, I'm fed up with this place already. Only a year left.

It's not the fact that they rejected me that bothers me. It's how they rejected me. What I just listed were just two examples. I've been rejected by every girl I've ever liked. And I agree with you, I am glad that I never ended up with them. It just depresses me so much that no girl can ever accept me for who I am.

People that I thought were my friends proved to be anything but. For example, when my girlfriend left me I had no one. There wasn't a single person that offered support or comfort. No one gave a damn that I was hurting so much. And during this time I realized how uncared for I was. Like I said, I've lived here my whole life. I already know that I don't have friends.

Hey I finally have something good to rant about.

I hate surveys. 

I had to fill out a 200 questionnaire survey about my job today. It lasted about 5 hours because you wouldn't imagine how tedious it gets when it asks you to provide the same answers 3x throughout the survey. Those redundant questions mostly dealt with specific details you'd have to wrack your brain to recall or open up your account book to remember so you don't mess up by a penny. I had to get up and take 4 breaks. On one break I didn't plan on returning. 

At the end of the survey, I gave the editor a piece of my mind lol, starting of with, "I offer my humblest opinion..." and it ended up not so humbly. I remarked in one pargraphy, "I personally do not look forward to filling out another survey made in this formula by whoever thought it was a good idea. The mental pain and anguish caused by this survey cannot be underestimated..."

To all surveys, you can die stacked up in a cabinet somewhere, never seeing the light of day again.

Hey I finally have something good to rant about.

I hate surveys. 

I had to fill out a 200 questionnaire survey about my job today. It lasted about 5 hours because you wouldn't imagine how tedious it gets when it asks you to provide the same answers 3x throughout the survey. Those redundant questions mostly dealt with specific details you'd have to wrack your brain to recall or open up your account book to remember so you don't mess up by a penny. I had to get up and take 4 breaks. On one break I didn't plan on returning. 

At the end of the survey, I gave the editor a piece of my mind lol, starting of with, "I offer my humblest opinion..." and it ended up not so humbly. I remarked in one pargraphy, "I personally do not look forward to filling out another survey made in this formula by whoever thought it was a good idea. The mental pain and anguish caused by this survey cannot be underestimated..."

To all surveys, you can die stacked up in a cabinet somewhere, never seeing the light of day again.

I think I started becoming delusional towards the end there. I was instructed not to give opinions in the survey  :lol: .

It was not anonymous. Since it was part of my job, full ID including social security number was required. 

crunchy taco sticking it to the man one long ass survey at a time.

You should record them when it happens. I think you can get them fined if you can present the evidence. That'll teach 'em.

Edit: here's a neighbor who recorded his mayor throw poop in his lawn. He eventually stepped down from office because it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVuqWPZUGpM

-------

Youtube posters are honestly the least educated people I've come across. Now I understand education is about opportunity and not everyone is as lucky in life. However, if you're both uneducated AND a jerk in life, you probably deserve where you're at.

You should record them when it happens. I think you can get them fined if you can present the evidence. That'll teach 'em.

Edit: here's a neighbor who recorded his mayor throw poop in his lawn. He eventually stepped down from office because it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVuqWPZUGpM

Oh my God, that's hilarious!

That's a pretty good idea; the only way I got them to stop parking in the fire lane in front of our house was by calling CHP and getting them a handful of tickets.  The problem is, I don't know when they're doing it.  I've only caught them letting one of their dogs walk around on our lawn, but my other neighbor wouldn't let his dogs crap on our lawn, so it has to be them.

It's probably impossible to predict when they'll come exactly. You're more likely to catch them if you have a time bracket you can leave the recording on for.

I actually installed security cameras around my house after getting my online shipments stolen several times. That thing has enough hard drive space to run a week straight without turning off. I'm not sure how much your parents are willing to spend, but it's a long-term investment for your house worth looking into.

You wouldn't believe how respectful people overall are towards my house now. 

Even putting up a fake sign that warns people about security cameras is better than nothing. 

It's probably impossible to predict when they'll come exactly. You're more likely to catch them if you have a time bracket you can leave the recording on for.

I actually installed security cameras around my house after getting my online shipments stolen several times. That thing has enough hard drive space to run a week straight without turning off. I'm not sure how much your parents are willing to spend, but it's a long-term investment for your house worth looking into.

You wouldn't believe how respectful people overall are towards my house now. 

Even putting up a fake sign that warns people about security cameras is better than nothing. 

There's so much I want to complain about ...

Stuff wasn't balancing well at work. But I fixed it.

Things weren't going so well at work. But I fixed it.

My food tasted good at first until my co-worker spotted a small hair piece on her food (not mine). We ordered from the same place, they screwed up few times over the past week and apparently they got a new cook so we had most of our food replaced through-out the week. But I ... just felt very disgusted today.

Then I got another issue with my sister, whom is 13 years old, I don't want to discuss my family issues here and people might want to argue with my decisions.

I freaking forgot my god damn password for my user admin on my NAS ... wow this is the BIGGEST blow so far today. Took few hours to decide to "okay, whatever, reset the main C partition" (not re-installing the whole windows). Then I find DSaRT or whatever which I couldn't find online, until I decided to check Pirate Bay while NAS was resetting ... lol, haha. :/

There's few more things. Oh, my account is currently in the negative. I did my math so wrong the past days so now I am currently in the negative and I have to come up with few hundred dollars in cash to put it back in the positive.

Whatever man ... I'm gonna read some manga and install the drivers for NAS to get it back online.

I got lost twice today while driving. I've driven to this location several times before; but I sometimes get lost in my music. When I came to it, I realized I wasn't reaching my destination at the usual time. It didn't help that everything looked the same out there. When I entered my location on the GPS phone, I was informed that my location was about 18 miles off the marker.  

The GPS led me to  a general area where my destination was supposed to be; but it also got lost in the process, leading me to another unfamiliar part of town.  Luckily I could make out my destination in the distance because it sat a top a hill, elevated from where I was at. I navigated out of that maze (an American suburban neighborhood) manually and made my way there, finally.

Ever argued with brick walls?

I've had a debate these last few days while discussing basketball statistics. I threw out the the concept "Regression to the Means," to describe a player which threw one person into a complete frenzy. He's been insisting the last several days that I'm wrong about the meaning, because it means, "Deterioration" and it's not deterioration if something stays the same or improves. Except, the numbers are largely the same when averaged out, and over the course of the long run, it stabilizes in that "average" position. 

This is the definition:

Reversion to the mean, also called regression to the mean, is the statistical phenomenon stating that the greater the deviation of a random variate from its mean, the greater the probability that the next measured variate will deviate less far. In other words, an extreme event is likely to be followed by a less extreme event.

As noted above, it is a pendulum effect  that swings wildly from one side to the other before settling down back in the middle. 

For the life of me, he can't understand anything else other than the first word, "regression," and has been adamantly calling me the idiot in this debate. I've yet to call him an idiot and have been patiently explaining to him and this is what I get in return. Though I've assumed his position as a troll since and have given up.