Fantasy/Science Fiction VNs?

munchlord

Hello everyone. First post on this forum.

I've recently read a few VNs I was recommended elsewhere, and since I find the format interesting I figured I'd come here for recommendations on what to read.

My favorite genres in general are Fantasy and Sci-Fi as the title says. I don't really care if suggestions include eroge, but I would be reading for the story and the characters so something with an excuse plot for getting down to business wouldn't be to my liking. It would have to be translated to english though, as I cannot into moonspeak.

Failing that (I don't know what genres are out there in the format), humorous stuff and stuff that sinks its teeth nice and deep into the darker parts of the human mind are also of interest (grisaia no kajitsu is a decent example of both, with the 'shenanigans' as Yuuji repeatedly calls them being quite amusing and the rute specific stuff about the characters' backgrounds satisfying my liking to darkness of the mind stuff.)

EDIT: Since I'm retarded and forgot to mention what I have read initially, here goes:

I'm very much new on the scene, so I've read next to nothing. And by next to nothing I mean Fate/Stay Night, grisaia no kajitsu and Katawa Shojo (which was a mixed bag TBH. Some of it I liked, some of it less so.)

Well, you have said you have read 'some', but since we are unaware of which you have read it there will indubitably be repeats.

Anyways, for science I recommend Steins;Gate. I haven't laughed out loud this much at a game that wasn't made for comedy in ages.

The Muv-Luv series should also interest you.

It consists of Muv-Luv: Extra - Your typical teenage romance story, probably not to your interest, but you should at the very least finish one route before moving on. 

Muv-Luv: Unlimited - It comes with extra and includes a different story using the same characters. This story is a Sci-fi story that you should enjoy.

Muv-Luv: Alternative - It's the sequel to the two games above and generally acclaimed as a masterpiece. It explains an Alternative story to Unlimited, but it's obvious that both Extra and Unlimited were made in preparation for Alternative. 

Ever17 is a brilliant game with a fantasy setting. You just don't notice that until much later.

Games by the company Key are also like this; and firstly I'd recommend Rewrite

These are all very popular games, so I'd be surprised if you have yet to hear of them, but there you have it. 

EDIT: Just check the two lists linked above, they have everything I suggested and more. 

It'd help to know which VN's you've already read. If you like lists, you can make one at http://www.vndb.org/

Here are some recommendations from what I've personally read:

Fantasy: Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Sci-fi: Steins;Gate, Muv-Luv, Ever17

A few things to keep in mind are that the H-scenes(that's what we call the erotic parts of a VN) in Fate/Stay Night are kind of awkwardly shoehorned in, but there a patch called Realta Nua (or something like that) which gets rid of them. Also Muv-Luv is a trilogy, the first two stories Muv-Luv Extra and Muv-Luv Unlimited are both included in the first game, called simply Muv-Luv, and the final part of the story (and the reason why it's so highly praised) is in its own game called Muv-Luv Alternative, and the only reason people read the first two which aren't anything amazing is to understand Alternative better.

There are quite a few interesting and dark VNs which don't really fall into either category, and a lot of them aren't humorous either. Here are a few titles to look into at some point: Saya no Uta, Higurashi + Umineko, and Cross Channel.

Have you consulted this post? You will see that Clephas made two lists for respectively Fantasy and Sci-fi VNs (including translated titles).

My personal recommendation would be Muv-Luv if it's not already done >_>

Ah, noob mistake #1 on my part. No I didn't thank you for pointing it out.

Well, you have said you have read 'some', but since we are unaware of which you have read it there will indubitably be repeats.

Anyways, for science I recommend Steins;Gate. I haven't laughed out loud this much at a game that wasn't made for comedy in ages.

The Muv-Luv series should also interest you.

It consists of Muv-Luv: Extra - Your typical teenage romance story, probably not to your interest, but you should at the very least finish one route before moving on. 

Muv-Luv: Unlimited - It comes with extra and includes a different story using the same characters. This story is a Sci-fi story that you should enjoy.

Muv-Luv: Alternative - It's the sequel to the two games above and generally acclaimed as a masterpiece. It explains an Alternative story to Unlimited, but it's obvious that both Extra and Unlimited were made in preparation for Alternative. 

Ever17 is a brilliant game with a fantasy setting. You just don't notice that until much later.

Games by the company Key are also like this; and firstly I'd recommend Rewrite

These are all very popular games, so I'd be surprised if you have yet to hear of them, but there you have it. 

EDIT: Just check the two lists linked above, they have everything I suggested and more. 

Thanks, I listed what I've read so far in the OP.

I'll add my contribution here.

Read Steins;Gate, good pacing, very interesting and well developped Story, a good amount of thriller and comedy, and Okabe Rintaro.

Also, the Fate series, but beware, you'll need a serious amount of time to finish them all.

Well, after that, you should read Steins;Gate, in case you forgot it.

There are many interesting VNs, and i'm sure the other fuwamembers will come with better lists than mine.

I highly recommend Dysfunctional Systems. Here is the opening/trailer to the Visual Novel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ho1vyo8lKk&list=UUaGe7q59EVpeEVZbEbFDSqQ

It's about these people who travel to alternative dimensions and different worlds. The main characters live in a Utopia and their organization tries to fix the problems of imperfect worlds. However, tampering with the politics of other worlds never is quite as simple as "fixing their problems". The Visual Novel does a great job exploring how good intentions can lead to less than ideal outcomes.

You can read more about Dysfunctional Systems and buy it here: https://dischan.co/product.php?productID=8   

It's only $5 and the group that made it are probably the only people who make good English original Visual Novels for profit. They could really use the support, and I think they deserve it.

Just to come in from a completely blind angle, if you don't mind something a little more.....well, the only word I can think of is childish, but if you don't mind a visual novel for a younger audience and are okay with some gameplay segments, then you might want to give Galaxy Angels a try. The first one's pretty easy, but the gameplay does get harder further into the series. If you want a challenge that'll make you carefully consider your options, you might not find it here, but it is a rather nice visual novel trilogy, if I do say so myself, with a rather nice set of characters and a fairly decent plot.