I wouldn't say Yuru Yuri is solely running on undertones or fan shipping, they do express their love for each other, it's just not in a very intense or serious way like a serious yuri romance would.

And I think an anime like this is a good way to start since it's not too hard on the yuri so it lets you acomodate to the genre, that's how it was for me at least.

I wouldn't say Yuru Yuri is solely running on undertones or fan shipping, they do express their love for each other, it's just not in a very intense or serious way like a serious yuri romance would.

And I think an anime like this is a good way to start since it's not too hard on the yuri so it lets you acomodate to the genre, that's how it was for me at least.

I dunno, I couldn't feel anything really yuri in it. They shout stuff about love but it's never serious, that sounds about like any other comedy out there. That's one thing that always surprised me about Yuru Yuri: it's frickin written in the title, everyone knows you're supposed to ship them while watching the show, but it's just like the authors forgot to put actual yuri after that.

I just watched it for the SoL and fun. It's not like it's a bad recommendation anyway ^^"

Also I've heard the manga Girl Friends is god-tier.

Oh yeah the manga Girl Friends is god tier in the yuri genre. I cried while reading it.

By far the best yuri manga I have ever read. If you want to start with manga, that is a very good way to start, but after that  you'll feel empty since there's no other manga to match it.

I got suggested to watch Ano Hana and ended up memorizing Aoi instead. By episode 5 I was like: Wait, ain't there supposed to be a white-haired loli as one of the main characters? I didn't even cared by that point, Aoi Hana was really sweet, might be a good one to start.

From VNs there are Aoishiro and Amaranto both very good Shoujo-AI VNs with mix of romance and action.

From Anime, Simoun is a pretty good one and if you want something more classical there are Sakura trick with some great MOE and there is Candy☆Boy.

Oh yeah the manga Girl Friends is god tier in the yuri genre. I cried while reading it.
By far the best yuri manga I have ever read. If you want to start with manga, that is a very good way to start, but after that you'll feel empty since there's no other manga to match it.

guess ill save the god tier for l8er then

I got suggested to watch Ano Hana and ended up memorizing Aoi instead. By episode 5 I was like: Wait, ain't there supposed to be a white-haired loli as one of the main characters? I didn't even cared by that point, Aoi Hana was really sweet, might be a good one to start.

gj on memorising the wrong name and thank you

From VNs there are Aoishiro and Amaranto both very good Shoujo-AI VNs with mix of romance and action.

From Anime, Simoun is a pretty good one and if you want something more classical there are Sakura trick with some great MOE and there is Candy☆Boy.

thank u however ppl kept tellin me to avoid candy boy and i trust them coz our tastes r similar so i might try simoun instead

Lol Girl Friends isn't that good, you need something significantly better for 10/10. It's not bad or anything, in fact from what I can remember it was pretty good. But judging by the fact that I can't even remember the plot, it can't be that good.

I liked Strawberry Panic! Which is p. much actual yuri.

I was really disappointed in Aoishiro because there was so little actual yuri. The first route I read (dat kendo girl) had the most, and then that didn't go that much further either...

I was really disappointed in Aoishiro because there was so little actual yuri. The first route I read (dat kendo girl) had the most, and then that didn't go that much further either...

Pretty sure Yasumi had the most though. Wasn't that much romance in that game. Also Syouko herself only shows signs of romantic attraction to one girl

No, seriously, Aoishiro spoiler

Kohaku. She doesn't really get embarassed with anyone else.

If you're going into Amaranto, don't expect anything beyond good shoujo ai. The plot is cheap as hell.

What do you mean by yuri shipping?

"Shipping" two characters basically means fantasizing on them being a couple. A lot of anime have yuri undertones and/or feature lots of female characters, and fans of yuri like to make couples out of them. Even when there isn't the slightest hint actually. It's reinforced by the various doujins that feature said couples.

I oppose that to anime where two girls are explicitly in a romantic relationship or at least clearly have feelings for each others.

(Note that you must differentiate yuri shipping from stuff that actually is yuri. Yuru Yuri and Marimite don't have anything explicit.)

There's no actual distinction. Yuri is everything which involves female relationships, whether they include explicit sexual content or not. Unless you want to be specific and use the western coined "shoujo-ai" term, which is completely redundant.

I'd say Katahane is a decent starting point when it comes to visual novels. There's a bunch of other, highly praised vn's out there, which could serve as entry points for yuri newcomers; unfortunately they aren't translated. As for anime, Strawberry Panic is an outright yuri show with strong focus on the female cast and their relationships.

There's no actual distinction. Yuri is everything which involves female relationships, whether they include explicit sexual content or not. Unless you want to be specific and use the western coined "shoujo-ai" term, which is completely funny and redundant.

Well, that's exactly what I said? I'm talking about there being actual relationships, not sexual content. There's obviously no sexual content in a TV anime.

What he meant was not sexually explicit, but whether there was just vague yuri subtext or real relationships going on. This is obviously a sliding scale.

Edit: well lookie w.

I also feel the shoujo-ai term is a bit meh. I believe it means you're a pedo in Japan as well?