Recommend me Something - Anime Version

Backstory:

I believe that pretty much all Visual Novel fans have watched anime at some point, most likely before they started playing visual novels. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to get into anime after I got into VNs. 

Because of that, anime was never my main focus, and I haven't watched too many of them. Now I want to get into it while I'm on a break from Visual Novels.

So, this will be fairly unspecific but... I'd like you people who've watched way too many anime to suggest me stuff.

Below are my tastes.

Likes - Romance, Sci-Fi*, Mystery, Drama (not too sad if you can help it :'c), Comedy** 

Dislikes - Sports, Action***

*I like a Sci-Fi setting, but something solely about Sci-Fi isn't interesting for me.

**I love comedy, I really, really do, but right now I'd prefer stuff with some kind of plot.

***I can live with this, so long as it's not the main focus.

I really really like it when a characters personality changes either due to love, or friendship. For example, an anti-social who finds love. 

Examples of previous setting and premises I liked:

​I tend to prefer female protagonists, but this isn't necessary at all.

My favourite setting goes like this: A protagonist that has been alienated by the class, or distanced himself from people, but one person (his love interest) comes and tries to change him. (Ex: Kimi ni Todoke; Sukitte Ii na yo)

I'm currently building my Anime List, but it's severely lacking in titles since I left my list on another PC. The more suggestions come the more accurate it'll get. 

I know this is terribly unspecific, but so long as you think it's good, suggest away and I can figure it out on my own. Also, please ask if you want more details on something, I'll do my best to answer you.

Some mainstream and (really) good anime that are easy to get into:

-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: cyberpunk sci-fi about a special intervention team. Mixes one-shot episodes and global plot, very dense stories about politics, investigations and science-fiction themes. Has a very badass female protag. No comedy at all but no drama either, it's just 100% serious business.

-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: the best giant robot anime of those last years. So sci-fi, action, comedy and a bit of drama basically. LOTS and LOTS of nekketsu, this anime is basically dripping hot-bloodedness from everywhere. You gotta love over-the-top thing for this one. M'afraid action might be too much of a focus for you though.

-Evangelion: best anime ever made well most influential anime ever made at least. Sci-fi, giant robots, sexy chicks, action, drama, introspection, depression... Basically you're not gonna think it's the best shit ever the first time you watch it but it should be good anyway.

-Kara no Kyoukai: Type-Moon stuff, which you know from the VNs. This one is strongly oriented on mystery, it's a bit contemplative at times, other times there's action. Really really nice series of movies. It's not very funny either though.

-Gintama: it's a shônen adaptation so it has action, but it's also the fucking funniest thing ever. Really. Very unsubtle but great humor, slice of life and some hotblooded action from time to time. It's excellent.

I have tons and tons of good stuff to recommend you but with such a broad demand... Tell me if those inspire you from what I'm telling about them, if you don't feel it's what you're looking for I can try something else.

I have not seen much anime myself, but here are two shows which contain a great amount of plot and comedy... respectively.

Baccano! - A series of seemingly unrelated stories about alchemists, criminals, and thieves. As the show progresses, you'll find out how they're all connected with each other. The English dub is quite amazing, and I highly recommend watching it in English for the accents.

Plastic Neesan - Comedy. No further comment.

I have a little bit of a bias against giant robots... But Full Metal Panic was a pleasant surprise (That protagonist was brilliant).

Looking into Ginatama and Envangelion (which I'm skeptical about).

Certainly watching Kara no Kyoukai.

Now here's the thing, I'm in this situation where the Comedy/Slice of life can be the best thing ever and I'll watch them all, or not, and I'll put it on hold permanently until I get in the mood to finish it.

I'll also add some info I remembered about my favourite situation.

crest and banner of the stars.

It is a space series with ships and no mecha.

so far it has spawned tree series and two ova's the latest being from 2005

The original is a light novel series.

It has a very nice pace and some great charaters.

The dub a bad though so watch the sub.

We have a great female protagonist and a good male counter part.

Another good thing is that almost all charaters fall out of the common stearotypes and feel more real than most anime charaters.

On the bad side the plot while good is in no hurry and the animation is fairly lackluster.

But if you want a intelligent series with good character and plot than this is one you must watch

Forgot some thing there is romance in this series but it is not the typical romance.

it somehow manages to pull of a relation ship between our main characters that is more than friends yet less than lovers.

Edit.2:

The male protag gets more or less trown into an alien world in the first and second episode.

the reason being is is an ab noblemand that has never lived as an abh and is now expected to know how to live as one.

The female protagonist later also ends in a simmilar situation but i cant get into that without spoiling stuff.

Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crest_of_the_Stars

http://myanimelist.net/anime/290/Seikai_no_Monshou

http://myanimelist.net/anime/396/Seikai_no_Senki

http://myanimelist.net/anime/397/Seikai_no_Senki_II

http://myanimelist.net/anime/398/Seikai_no_Senki_III

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=14

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/banner-of-the-stars/dvd-1

If you ever get around to watching it send me a pm and tell me what you think about it love to hear someone else's opinion.

I have a little bit of a bias against giant robots...

Every single newcomer to anime ever  :P  If I had a yen every time I read that sentence, I could buy myself the Smile Precure blurays. Especially, it's almost always followed by "...Except TTGL/Evangelion/Code Geass/FMP (pick whichever you want)".

If you want some SoL/comedy I'd recommend Nichijou (more on the absurd side), Azumanga Daioh (kinda in the middle) or Hidamari Sketch (more on the relaxing side)

Every single newcomer to anime ever  :P  If I had a yen every time I read that sentence, I could buy myself the Smile Precure blurays. Especially, it's almost always followed by "...Except TTGL/Evangelion/Code Geass/FMP (pick whichever you want)".

If you want some SoL/comedy I'd recommend Nichijou (more on the absurd side), Azumanga Daioh (kinda in the middle) or Hidamari Sketch (more on the relaxing side)

Alright. If you check my Anime List now you should get a feel for my tastes. Beware, just because I dropped an anime does not mean I didn't enjoy it, most of them have actually got good scores.

I just can't stand when a series drags on to eternity because the protagonist and his love interest never start dating.

I see you have Psycho-Pass in your plan to watch.  If you like sci-fi, police shows and darker plots I would highly recommend watching that.

Based off of your likes I would also recommend these:

Other good anime I would recommend are Mirai Nikki, Selector Infected WIXOSS, Madoka Magica 

Alright. If you check my Anime List now you should get a feel for my tastes. Beware, just because I dropped an anime does not mean I didn't enjoy it, most of them have actually got good scores.

I just can't stand when a series drags on to eternity because the protagonist and his love interest never start dating.

From your list it does seem like the romance component is important. I'm not extremely good with romance, but I'd recommend my favourite romantic comedy, Kare Kano. As you'd expect it has romance, comedy and slice of life, all three well balanced. The romance is the focus of the plot. The main protag is the girl, and the characters have strong personalities. It doesn't drag on.

Be aware it gets less good and kinda end up nowhere after the really excellent episode 17 (or 16? 18? not sure), for various reasons such as the manga going on afterwards and the mangaka refusing an original end for the anime.

In the same genre I also have a soft spot for Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

If you want something else than the run-of-the-mill high-school shoujo, I'd support Spice&Wolf that was recommended above. Romance component isn't strong (we could call it flirting I guess? don't expect it to get too focused on it), but it's really good.

I'll suggest

Hentai ouji to Warawanai Neko.

Romance and comedy but regarding plot ... Ii don't remember it having a huge plot. It has one but it's clearly not the main focus.

Perv protag and lots of quiproquos, very enjoyable.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

Cute romance, it has comedy, no real plot but enjoyable. it's kinda like Sukitte ... (maybe ?). Just a guy and a girl very different from each other and who fall in love.

Hyouka <<<---!!!!

YES ! How could I forget that ! I you haven't watched it, Please do ! Comedy, slice of life, mystery-ish and romance-ish.

One of my favorite and kinda meets your criterias.

If you hadn't watched it I would have suggested Kokoro Connect instantly ... 

Boku wa tomodachi ga Sukunai

I haven't watch the anime, I've read the LN but I heard it's good enough.

Besides the plot part, you'll like this. I hope.

It's lots and lots of comedy. And some romance.

I see you have Psycho-Pass in your plan to watch.  If you like sci-fi, police shows and darker plots I would highly recommend watching that.

Based off of your likes I would also recommend these:

Other good anime I would recommend are Mirai Nikki, Selector Infected WIXOSS, Madoka Magica 

spice and wolf, definitly worth watching.

one of my favorite series together with crest and banner of the stars.

I'll suggest

Hentai ouji to Warawanai Neko.

Romance and comedy but regarding plot ... Ii don't remember it having a huge plot. It has one but it's clearly not the main focus.

Perv protag and lots of quiproquos, very enjoyable.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

Cute romance, it has comedy, no real plot but enjoyable. it's kinda like Sukitte ... (maybe ?). Just a guy and a girl very different from each other and who fall in love.

Hyouka <<<---!!!!

YES ! How could I forget that ! I you haven't watched it, Please do ! Comedy, slice of life, mystery-ish and romance-ish.

One of my favorite and kinda meets your criterias.

If you hadn't watched it I would have suggested Kokoro Connect instantly ... 

Boku wa tomodachi ga Sukunai

I haven't watch the anime, I've read the LN but I heard it's good enough.

Besides the plot part, you'll like this. I hope.

It's lots and lots of comedy. And some romance.

Yep, I keep on forgetting things I've already watched, like Hyouka. I'll also need to adjust my scores, I can't have a bunch of masterpieces :P

Alright let me try my best

Another

Mystery Horror Thriller. I feel like these are kind of what you seem to enjoy so I'll suggest it.

The quality is pretty good, the story is quite captivating and the characters are so so with Mei probably being the best.

But I really was into it for the mystery and I think it won't let you down in that aspect.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I'll assume you forgot to put this one on your list and that you actually watched it.

Seconding Gintama

Although it is very silly and comedic at points, its characters and its major arcs are quite unforgetable, it is for me one of the masterpieces of Anime and I'd really suggest you to try it if you want to have a good time.

Great Teacher Onizuka

This teacher is one you'll never forget, as hilarious as they come, GTO is yet another masterpiece of anime with amazing character development and a somewhat linear storyline with a conclusion. The romance is scarce and it's mostly comedy and drama but i really believe the characters are what drive this show forward.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Again, I'm assuming you forgot to put this on the list. Even if you've read the novels the adaptation is great.

Seconding Kobato

The drama in this is suberb, the characters are even more suberb and the subtle romance just fills your heart with wonderful feelings.

Kobato is a great heartwarming show that will likely stay in your memory.

Serial Experiments Lain

It doesn't get as mysterious as this. Seriously your brain is in for a trip, in a good way.

Seto no Hanayome

A romcom gem that anyone should watch at least once.

Shinsekai Yori

Drama, Horror, Mystery and Sci-fi are all present in this great show. This sci-fi is not your typical super futuristic sci-fi, in fact most of the setting is in a village, but it's in a village one millenium from now where humans have developed super human psychic abilities, while it starts off cheerfully, i can guarantee you this show hides some very very dark secrets that you'll slowly uncover, definintely a journey to remember.

Toaru Majutsu no Index/Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

You can chose to start with either since their plots are somewhat separate (I started with Railgun)

But this show has sci-fi and action and quite the interesting story with plenty of arcs to go around (continues in the novels). I think you'll like it.

I hope some of these help.

Can't comment on all of them, but at least these, I certainly wont watch:

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
I'll assume you forgot to put this one on your list and that you actually watched it.

Great Teacher Onizuka
This teacher is one you'll never forget, as hilarious as they come, GTO is yet another masterpiece of anime with amazing character development and a somewhat linear storyline with a conclusion. The romance is scarce and it's mostly comedy and drama but i really believe the characters are what drive this show forward.

Seconding Kobato
The drama in this is suberb, the characters are even more suberb and the subtle romance just fills your heart with wonderful feelings.
Kobato is a great heartwarming show that will likely stay in your memory.

Kobato - I've already watched it. It's on the list, isn't it? :o It did stay in my memory, right now the scores are messed up, but it'll probably be somewhere on the top.
Great Teacher Onizuka - Tried to watch it, but I don't like it.
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - "Idem idem, aspas aspas" Same thing as the above one.

Oh yeah it was on the list, totally missed it.

Well not everyone likes GTO, understandable. I loved it, read the manga as well.

So you didn't like FMA either huh, would have assumed you might like it, oh well.

If I had to pick one out of the list I gave to suggest before all others it would definitely be Shinsekai Yori, I think it'll suit your tastes very well.

Oh yeah it was on the list, totally missed it.

Well not everyone likes GTO, understandable. I loved it, read the manga as well.

So you didn't like FMA either huh, would have assumed you might like it, oh well.

If I had to pick one out of the list I gave to suggest before all others it would definitely be Shinsekai Yori, I think it'll suit your tastes very well.

Sometimes I surprise myself and like horrid stuff, sometimes I surprise myself and dislike awesome stuff.

I think Another is good, it's a little dark and quite a bit of blood though. Hyouka is mostly mystery with a few of the other elements mixed in. Ef: A tale of memories/melodies is more romance situated and also has the other elements mixed in. The last one I recommend is bakemonogatari.

I think Another is good, it's a little dark and quite a bit of blood though. Hyouka is mostly mystery with a few of the other elements mixed in. Ef: A tale of memories/melodies is more romance situated and also has the other elements mixed in. The last one I recommend is bakemonogatari.

I survived Higurashi, I'll make it through Another. (Higurashi and Umineko added to the list)

Hyouka is now on the list.

Bakemonogatari is really weird for me, I'm not enjoying it much. (Added to the list)

Inuyasha are very intressing anime to watch, it have a lot of action, drama, slice of life drama and some romance part, I think it have litter bit comedy to.

Bleach are very good anime to watch

I tottaly recommend these two anime which you don't have watch it already

Even if I don't reply to all of the recommendations I am noting them down. 

Thanks, lads.

Updated my Anime List scores to more accurately reflect my tastes (instead of me loving everything).

Judging from your tastes you'll likely not enjoy Bakemonogatari, there's hardly any drama or heavy romance, there's mystery i'll give it that, but I don't think it's the kind of mystery you're looking, it's more of a mysterious feeling than an actual mystery that you'll get :P the whole thing is a cleverly crafted fantasy story with quite the interesting characters and the way the anime tells that story is what really gives the monogatari series its core, in my opinion of course.

Its comedy derives mostly from wordplay, not sure if this is your kind of comedy.

So yeah I wouldn't suggest it to you based on your tastes, but i still think it's a masterpiece of an anime.

Its comedy derives mostly from wordplay, not sure if this is your kind of comedy.

I'd be all over it if it was originally english, but I don't trust that such comedy can still be maintained even after translation.

Yeaaaa!  I'm feeling the Kobato love.

Well, of course. If you know anything else like it, tell me. That was the best experience I've had in a while. (My third anime was that one, which I found at random)

School Days.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: !!!

No.

Even I know what I should keep at bay. (I've also already played the game, so it's completely worthless).

-----

Finished "My Little Monster" I liked the protagonists personality, I really did. Pragmatic/Intelligent people are always my style, cold or otherwise.

I spent the whole show waiting for a scene where she chained the Lad, but it never came :'C

Updating the 'to Watch' list with the new recommendations, also changing titles from 'Dropped' to 'On-Hold'  because I didn't actually dislike them, I just couldn't be bothered to finish them, when knowing that I'd have to sit through 6 more episodes with the protagonists flirting but nothing happening only to reach the last episode where they finally admit their feelings and poof, the shows over.