How did you find your favorite Visual Novel?

Snowtsuku

Hrrmmm... well, I have only played three VNs ever: Clannad, the first one, I got because I was in love with the anime (there goes Key getting innocent folks into VNs again).  And, in fact, I was SO in love with Clannad that I simply HAD to find people to talk about it with.  Since GameFAQs is my main haunt on these here interwebz, I searched it up on that site and discovered that it was a VN before it was an anime.  I chatted up some folks on Clannad's message board there and they pointed me toward Fuwanovel.  I downloaded and played through Kyou Fujibayashi's route and felt satisfied (that was really all I wanted).  I then decided to browse through Fuwanovel's selection and play something else.  I randomly picked Ever17 (all ages and highly rated) and proceeded to have my brain melted (in a good way).  Despite how much I enjoyed Ever17, it was still a bit grindy, which is why it's not my favorite VN.  That distinction goes to my third (and current) VN...

Symphonic Rain.

I discovered SR the same way I discovered Ever17 and couldn't be more happy with it. Just a beautiful VN through and through.  Really, it seems my story is very similar to Snowtsuku's up there in the first post.

-Arvis

The one I enjoyed the most was Grisaia no Kajitsu, but I'd say my absolute favorite was Saya no Uta, an absolute masterpiece. How I found it? A friend of mine used to bully me because I loved Katawa Shoujo, he then said something like: "You're into crippled girls, I wouldn't be surprised if you liked Saya no Uta". From that, he explained me in a way that made it look like a pure gore dumb novel, I got interested and I can't thank him enough for showing it to me.

For the purposes of this thread I'll go with Clannad, which I found out about after watching both seasons of the anime. I liked the VN better than the anime, despite more or less knowing what was gonna go down. Katawa Shoujo isn't my fav, but I found out about that on The Escapist, which I think is fairly abnormal.

Nothing too special for mine, but I feel it is personally. It was about 2 years ago when I found Subarashiki Hibi, mainly after searching around the internet and vndb for a decent yuri VN. I read a first impressions blog post someone wrote of it talking about the yuri but how it was also seemingly confusing and decided to go try it out myself... boy was I in for a surprise. >_> After I read the whole thing I was in awe for weeks (personal reasons for this), so it became my all-time favorite almost naturally by that point.

It was a long time ago, but from memory, here is how it happened. I was studying digital media in university and wanted to develop a digital graphic novel thing (I had no idea what VNs were at the time) for a project. After some research, I realized oh, such a medium already exists. I downloaded a bunch of recently translated titles for research purposes. It just so happens that my first game was Narcissu, and that remains my favorite all time VN :).

Back before I became a true fan of visual novels I was looking for a visual novel like Katawa Shoujo but didn't know about the VNDB of Fuwanovel. I went on Yahoo Anwsers where someone asked a similar question and found in one of the answers a title called "If my Heart had Wings". I eventually got my hands on it and fell in love with it. 

For the purposes of this thread I'll go with Clannad, which I found out about after watching both seasons of the anime. I liked the VN better than the anime, despite more or less knowing what was gonna go down. Katawa Shoujo isn't my fav, but I found out about that on The Escapist, which I think is fairly abnormal.

Great taste.  Clannad is fantastic.  DAT MUSIC.

I'm noticing a few people mentioning Grisaia no Kajitsu.  I noticed that that particular VN just got an anime adaptation picked up, slated to be released this year.  It looked a little.... "ecchi", to me.  I assume it's not an all-ages VN?

Back before I became a true fan of visual novels I was looking for a visual novel like Katawa Shoujo but didn't know about the VNDB of Fuwanovel. I went on Yahoo Anwsers where someone asked a similar question and found in one of the answers a title called "If my Heart had Wings". I eventually got my hands on it and fell in love with it. 

IMHHW is a VN I have been itching to get my hands on for some time, but I just have so many other things taking up my time.  I can't believe how gorgeous it looks, though, everytime I watch a trailer or look at screengrabs.  What's the native resolution of IMHHW?  I mean, I'm finishing up Symphonic Rain and, while it's an amazing VN, it would be nice to play/read something that isn't in a tiny little box on my computer monitor the whole time.

-Arvis

I'm noticing a few people mentioning Grisaia no Kajitsu.  I noticed that that particular VN just got an anime adaptation picked up, slated to be released this year.  It looked a little.... "ecchi", to me.  I assume it's not an all-ages VN?

While the Visual novel isn't all-ages, the anime screens are doing it a disservice. While it has a lot of adult humour, by no means is that the focus of this visual novel. It focuses on the dark backstory of all the girls as well as the protagonist while at the same time being constantly hilarious.

{While x3}

While the Visual novel isn't all-ages, the anime screens are doing it a disservice. While it has a lot of adult humour, by no means is that the focus of this visual novel. It focuses on the dark backstory of all the girls as well as the protagonist while at the same time being constantly hilarious.

{While x3}

Exactly I can't understand people saying "it haz anime not playing VN hurr durr". Anime's more often than not offer butchered stories with the route they choose and they can only do one route to make at least some sense. It's never the full story and the one they tell doesn't even live up to the original. I'm not saying anime is a bad medium, I watched it a lot for a long time, but adaptations don't really go all that well in my opinion.

I read manga and watched anime but never before have I heard of Visual Novels. It was only until last year when I watched Fate/Stay Night that it had a game so I thought "It can't be that bad" - it totally went beyond my expectations. Now, I try and find every translated VNs I can find to relieve my boredom and finding good ideas to make my own. 

***I so badly want to make a doujinshi game of Fate/Stay Night.

I don't know how to answer that without breaking the internet. But look for "Lunar Legend Tsukihime".

HAHAha that one really made me laugh. :lol:

I admit there is an anime by that name.

But that is in no way a adaption of the vn.

Anyway lets not let this conversation drag on for to long and end it before this thread ends up as another maijkoi thread.

So you can respond to me in this thread but i won't respond back anymore, but i will definitly read them ^_^

HAHAha that one really made me laugh. :lol:

I admit there is an anime by that name.

But that is in no way a adaption of the vn.

Anyway lets not let this conversation drag on for to long and end it before this thread ends up as another maijkoi thread.

So you can respond to me in this thread but i won't respond back anymore, but i will definitly read them ^_^

It's more or less based on Arcueids route. Also derailment is normal, this is Fuwa after all.

Sometime in early 2012, while I'm randoming browsing VN sites looking for gold(blonde)-haired twintailed lolis as the main heroine (I was in a Tsundere hunt at that time, given their most common trait), I come across Irosekai (I don't know about Hoshimemo at that point), and for some reason, the art, setting, characters, and the overall atmosphere of the game made me fell in love on first sight. While it turned out to be something entirely different from what I was looking for initially, it became one of the best masterpieces I played up to this day, which escalated even further when its sequel is released. It is also the game where I met my Waifu, the one and only heroine I loved up to this day and from now on.