Something to play after Grisaia.

madvanced

So like I said in the "What are you playing now?" thread I said I would heading over here to hear Fuwans out for recommendations. Now let's cut to the chase, basically I was thinking at first to jump right into Comyu, however I'm now craving games like Grisaia, in that the MC, and possibly all the heroines, have a dark past, sometimes very dark, and that the MCs past might overwhelm that of the heroines, while being able to make the character a "proactive" one if you may call it that. Good examples would be, Yuuji from Grisaia, Kenichi from Sharin no Kuni and perhaps Kyousuke from G-Senjou no Maou.

Well, before someone says that me not playing Clannad or the muv-luv series is a sin, I just don't feel like playing them right now.

Ok, now that that is out of the way feel free to see what games I finished to prevent suggestions to games I already played. http://vndb.org/u66964/list?c=all;v=0;t=2

Thanks in advance to all people who reply.

P.S. - Now I'm going to bed(it's frigging 3 am) so I will only see the replies in 10 hours or so.

Well, when you get around to feeling like it, I suggest picking up Muv Luv. Neither Yuuji nor Kenichi could last longer than 8 minutes vs a Beta the way Takeru can!

hmm, i think G-SNM is one of the dark story too.

if you've finished it and you like the story like that, i suggest you should read Ikinari Anata/Ikikoi :D

Since I haven't been able to fall asleep I decided to hop on Fuwa for a bit longer. Crunchy no need to hype muv-luv, it already has a shit ton of that  :P . Also MDruidd I've already played both those games (All Hail the Goddess of Incest Eika).

I have no idea if this recommendations might suit your tastes or not, but I'll just put them here because why not.

-Symphonic Rain

-Rewrite

-Narcissu

-True Remembrance

-Katawa Shoujo

-A Profile

-Cross Channel

Rewrite was one I was kind of thinking on the possibility to play it but I didn't know if there was that dark past kind of thing to it, Cross Channel was kinda the whole dark past thing from what I heard, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna like the MC, I read that he's supposed to be some stereotypical perverted type or something like that. The others I simply hadn't looked before, except Narcissu, I dropped it, I'm afraid of the ensuing enormous amount of feels it will bring, I don't think I will ever play it.

Rewrite was one I was kind of thinking on the possibility to play it but I didn't know if there was that dark past kind of thing to it, Cross Channel was kinda the whole dark past thing from what I heard, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna like the MC, I read that he's supposed to be some stereotypical perverted type or something like that. The others I simply hadn't looked before, except Narcissu, I dropped it, I'm afraid of the ensuing enormous amount of feels it will bring, I don't think I will ever play it.

Rewrite looks like your happy slice of life VN during the common route, but it does a huge genre shift once you get into a route. And in the true route, Terra, things do get really dark. It's my all time favorite VN, so I may be biased.

Cross Channel characters are basically stereotypes, the thing is what happens when you put them in the situation given by the novel. 

It doesn't exactly fit you definition, but Katawa characters are more than just crippled people, some might not present a past as dark as Grisaia's characters (Let's be honest, that's kinda hard to achieve) but they definitely are amazing and well-built histories.

Rewrite looks like your happy slice of life VN during the common route, but it does a huge genre shift once you get into a route. And in the true route, Terra, things do get really dark. It's my all time favorite VN, so I may be biased.

I'll think about Rewrite Tenkuru, thanks for the suggestion.

Cross Channel characters are basically stereotypes, the thing is what happens when you put them in the situation given by the novel. 

It doesn't exactly fit you definition, but Katawa characters are more than just crippled people, some might not present a past as dark as Grisaia's characters (Let's be honest, that's kinda hard to achieve) but they definitely are amazing and well-built histories.

I'm not saying that it has to achieve Grisaia's level in terms of characters dark pasts, I just wanted one that had an MC with one, preferably heroines with one too, however the MC wouldn't be rendered useless because of his past, and is actually a very level headed and strong (and weak at the same time, I guess) character. I know it may be too much to ask, but at least I can try.

EDIT: This is totally unrelated to the suggestions but, the only reason I haven't picked up something like If my heart had wings, its that it is a butchered piece of sorry TL.

I have no idea if this recommendations might suit your tastes or not, but I'll just put them here because why not.

-Symphonic Rain

-Rewrite

-Narcissu

-True Remembrance

-Katawa Shoujo

-A Profile

-Cross Channel

Tbh I don't want to write Symphonic Rain here. One of the reasons I love Symphonic Rain is that it looks like your typical moege until you reach the certain parts of the routes that will change your opinion about it. But since it's here already, I'll just +1 on it.

Tbh I don't want to write Symphonic Rain here. One of the reasons I love Symphonic Rain is that it looks like your typical moege until you reach the certain parts of the routes that will change your opinion about it. But since it's here already, I'll just +1 on it.

Is it too dark or something like that?

No, it's the kind of game you're supposed to go into thinking it'll be your average moege story. 

Ok, I'll take note of that too.

On another note I was looking at VNDB's tag search for pragmatic protag, and the only translated ones were Grisaia, Sharin no kuni and G-senjou. It was one of the characteristics I was looking for in a protag and that dream was shattered.

No, it's the kind of game you're supposed to go into thinking it'll be your average moege story. 

Pretty much.

Ok, I'll take note of that too.

On another note I was looking at VNDB's tag search for pragmatic protag, and the only translated ones were Grisaia, Sharin no kuni and G-senjou. It was one of the characteristics I was looking for in a protag and that dream was shattered.

If you're playing it, I suggest a Fal -> Lise -> Torta play order.

After thinking for a while, I decided to play comyu while Rewrite's DL ins't finished, so after I play these 2 games most certainly I will be heading here if Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate isn't finished being edited by then. Meanwhile I will try yo get my lazy bum to learn japanese, even if I'm already applying to change Major to Asian Studies in college. I mean it can't hurt to know it sooner. This time I hope I don't give up like I always do I'm very weak-willed when it comes to self-learning, I mean I need to read Meikyuu and Rakuen for Fs sake.

After thinking for a while, I decided to play comyu while Rewrite's DL ins't finished, so after I play these 2 games most certainly I will be heading here if Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate isn't finished being edited by then. Meanwhile I will try yo get my lazy bum to learn japanese, even if I'm already applying to change Major to Asian Studies in college. I mean it can't hurt to know it sooner. This time I hope I don't give up like I always do I'm very weak-willed when it comes to self-learning, I mean I need to read Meikyuu and Rakuen for Fs sake.

I know we should recommend you something ;) ... But I think you have enough of them and i would also only recommend you "Rewrite" ;)

So i will thank you that you mentioned "Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate". I've never heard of that. But it looks really great and now I'm really looking forward to that. It seems they finish their translation really soon. So thank you for YOUR advice ;).

Greetz

I know we should recommend you something ;) ... But I think you have enough of them and i would also only recommend you "Rewrite" ;)

So i will thank you that you mentioned "Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate". I've never heard of that. But it looks really great and now I'm really looking forward to that. It seems they finish their translation really soon. So thank you for YOUR advice ;).

Greetz

Koi Choco has an anime. You might want to try out.

Greetz

No problem, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate has already been fully translated and their editing is roughly about 60-65% done, so maybe 2-3 weeks until it's released. In regards to the recommendations, yeah they have been nice, I was just fishing around for a VN with a good and possibly broken inside MC, with heroines just as broken. I mean just because I didn't know any it doesn't mean they don't exist that's why I was asking for suggestions.

It's hard for me to recommend you something because i didn't like Grisaia and i also no big fan of G-SNM (I know they are probably good, but not my taste).

Like I said Rewrite is really nice and not that easygoing it seems to be in the common route. I Also would highly recommend Cross+Channel. The protagonists is somewhat "special" but they are all really broken ;) and the whole story is really coherent. AT the end is was really satisfying for me.

Greetz

I'm going to have to recommend Rewrite as well - it's quite the treat, although I'm not sure if the protagonist is quite to your liking.

Aside from that, there's also Umineko, a personal favorite and essentially the cover game for "What the f*ck" in VNs from my perspective, in addition to being quite entertaining and thought-out on a number of levels.  There's bound to be someone you'll relate with.

Recommending Rewrite and Symphonic Rain.

That's probably it, since you've pretty much played all the translated visual novels of this genre you're looking for :(

You could also get Yume Miru Kusuri, or buy Da Capo 2 from MangaGamer too if you're desperate. They also are similar but it's a lot lighter compared to Grisaia, G-senjou no Maou, and the rest of the vns of the same level.

So like I said in the "What are you playing now?" thread I said I would heading over here to hear Fuwans out for recommendations. Now let's cut to the chase, basically I was thinking at first to jump right into Comyu, however I'm now craving games like Grisaia, in that the MC, and possibly all the heroines, have a dark past, sometimes very dark, and that the MCs past might overwhelm that of the heroines, while being able to make the character a "proactive" one if you may call it that. Good examples would be, Yuuji from Grisaia, Kenichi from Sharin no Kuni and perhaps Kyousuke from G-Senjou no Maou.

Well, before someone says that me not playing Clannad or the muv-luv series is a sin, I just don't feel like playing them right now.

Ok, now that that is out of the way feel free to see what games I finished to prevent suggestions to games I already played. http://vndb.org/u66964/list?c=all;v=0;t=2

Thanks in advance to all people who reply.

P.S. - Now I'm going to bed(it's frigging 3 am) so I will only see the replies in 10 hours or so.

Try:

Dracu-Riot, Iroseka, Irohika, Aiyoku no Eustia, Amairo IsleNauts, G senjou no maou,