Which anime should I be watching this season?

Tay

Alright, I just finished Angel Beats.

Wow. That was really something.

A big thanks to everybody who suggested it. What a wonderful thing.

----------------------

Time passes

----------------------

Okay, now I can think straight again. So. A few thoughts:

• I need to look into the original writers/translators of AB. At multiple times -- especially during the last few episodes -- the wording made me think that one of the writers or translators had some background in my particular faith. It was all used in a really specific (and totally beautiful) way, but kept my eyebrows raised the whole time.
  • Steve -- Okay, I put in LOTS of hours and absolutely loved Angel Beats. Now it's your turn. You have to play chapter 1 of Katawa Shoujo now : )
  • Now I have to choose the next show to watch... so many suggestions! So many choices. Thanks, everyone!

Don't know what exactly "eyebrows raised" means in this way but if you mean it literally then it can't be said about me, especially during the last several episodes there were lot of moments when I was gasping for air and nearly closing my eyes (Like the moment when Yuri said "let me tell you something... we humans... not even for 10 minutes... we can't even wait for that long", I almost didn't breathe there for some time), but there were 2 moments, ending of episode 10 and the final ending after graduation where I just melted, I felt tears flowing down my cheeks very quickly and I didn't even bother wiping them, there is really very few instances where this happened to me in VN/anime and this anime got 2 of them. It must have been the simultaneous feeling of great happiness and big sadness at the same time (Yui found her happiness and Kanade got back to live, but the whole song, especially with the Yui ending showing the scenes from the "potential reality" I kept thinking why the fuck couldn't they just meet in their normal lives. And there is very few instances where the authors make this happen, big happiness combined with big sadness. I mist say though that KEY are probably one of the best companies to be able to do it. And the song, Ichiban no Takaramono... it is just beautiful

2. Lots of hours? Its about 5 hours 30 minutes to watch it full smile.gif I watch it 3 times already (I cry every time) xD And even though chapter 1 of KS might be shorter, I want to finish whole game at once (not one sitting, but play, sleep, work 1 hour, play, sleep, work 1 hour xD) and that must be at least 50 hours xD

But don't worry, I will do it once day xD If you come on TS and remind me tongue.gif

3. I would suggest some comedy in between AB and Anohana, Chuunibyou maybe or something like that smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Tay so I got some suggestions for you on anime finally my area of expertise compared to VNs haha SAO being your first anime I think you would like accel world because they are very similar in the aspect of both being in the same universe and both written by the same writer personally I enjoyed accel world a lot

For websites on anime I torrent a lot of anime as well to find good torrents I use nyaatorrent like everyone else but I mainly use Bakabt for my anime they don't have every anime but they do have a large sum of animes in their inventory and they are of very high quality

To find new animes I normally am recommended by some by friends however for new seasons I use the cart driver it has many of the anime charts that people see and for current running anime I use countdown.mandragon.info

I also suggest full metal alchemist brotherhood it is 64 episodes it is really good IMO this is a remake compared with the original series because the original series was running when the manga was not yet done so they made up a bunch of stuff but brotherhood is with the full manga storyline so it is way better

I'm not sure which VNs you played but clannad I heard is done very compared with the VN

I also enjoyed angel beats a lot haha I cried a lot too

If you want more animes I'm happy to suggest more!

lol, this show is a blast. Heather and I sat down to watch it (she's not an anime fan), and we both laughed at the "nothingness" and humor of it. Great stuff so far :)/>.

Ooh, Lucky Star is just great. Is a nice show to enjoy without having to think.

And for people who like mechas (and those who don't too, I don't like mechas but I love this anime), they should watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, from GAINAX studio. It's really awesome.

@Ryoji - Lucky Star Update:

We're on Episode 5. This is a fun, unusual, strange, awesome show. It gets funnier the more attention you give it. Fun : )

The only question I have is: will a plot develop, or is it more of the episodic, funny, slice of life stuff?

@Ryoji - Lucky Star Update:

We're on Episode 5. This is a fun, unusual, strange, awesome show. It gets funnier the more attention you give it. Fun : )

The only question I have is: will a plot develop, or is it more of the episodic, funny, slice of life stuff?

Keep watching. It will get more insane and awesome as you go. As far as plot, dont expect too much and youll be fine.

yeah its more Slice of life/Comedy/Parody.

Yeah pay close attention and youll see pop culture references left and right. Thats why i love it so much. Always laugh my ass off

There's a reference to something - anime, internet stupid videos, eroge, manga, culture - every minutes of this anime.

And it's slice of life to its purest, so don't expect much plot.

After your first watch be sure to keep those episodes under your hand somewhere, you'll feel the need every now and then to watch one or two episodes again. Lucky Star is magic solution against any kind of feeling down.

Lucky Star Update:

Lol, thanks Ryoji : ) This show is great. The opening song is SO energetic, it's infectious. I don't really understand the lyrics (unambiguous 3 cm?), but I've been using it as a mood booster. Works like a charm : )

I have to laugh: before I got any suggestions to watch this show, I tried 1/2 of the first episode because Crunchyroll thought I'd like it (slice of life). After ~5 minutes of discussion on how to eat the choco-roll, I thought to myself, "Wow. If THIS is what hardcore slice of life is like, I can't handle it..." Well, I'm glad that I came back : ). If I had just stuck it out until the end of the episode, I think I'd have realized it was a Family Guy-esque gag. Probably because in that first episode they have 2-3 of such conversations :).

It makes me sad to realize much of the show's brilliance is going over my head (the references), but I'm really enjoying it. It's been a mood boost, and I'm really liking it. I'm on Episode 9.

Lucky Star Update:

Lol, thanks Ryoji : ) This show is great. The opening song is SO energetic, it's infectious. I don't really understand the lyrics (unambiguous 3 cm?), but I've been using it as a mood booster. Works like a charm : )

I have to laugh: before I got any suggestions to watch this show, I tried 1/2 of the first episode because Crunchyroll thought I'd like it (slice of life). After ~5 minutes of discussion on how to eat the choco-roll, I thought to myself, "Wow. If THIS is what hardcore slice of life is like, I can't handle it..." Well, I'm glad that I came back : ). If I had just stuck it out until the end of the episode, I think I'd have realized it was a Family Guy-esque gag. Probably because in that first episode they have 2-3 of such conversations :)/>.

It makes me sad to realize much of the show's brilliance is going over my head (the references), but I'm really enjoying it. It's been a mood boost, and I'm really liking it. I'm on Episode 9.

yeah the first episode is kind of a head scratcher. But its worth the watch and youll be glad you stayed. Glad your enjoying it!!

Just watched some chapters from Sasami-san. I now don't understand why I dropped it earlier. It's a great anime, although it's kind of weird and it makes no sense at all xD

Anyway, I'm actually enjoying this anime, and today I'll watch the two chapters I have left to catch up.

Just watched some chapters from Sasami-san. I now don't understand why I dropped it earlier. It's a great anime, although it's kind of weird and it makes no sense at all xD

Anyway, I'm actually enjoying this anime, and today I'll watch the two chapters I have left to catch up.

I have no idea what is happening, but I love it. We are always learning something new each episode, which is a rare feat in anime where filler and beach episodes are all the rage.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, thought I'd bring back the ole "Tay is incompetent about Anime" thread and seek advice for shows to watch. I'm thinking of starting the following shows:

Not sure what I think of them so far. It's a half-like relationship at the moment. I think multiple people have suggested them both to me, but I know at least that by watching Anohana I will have completed all Steve requested before he feels guilty about not playing KS yet ; ).

Any thoughts on these shows? Should I skip them and go for something this season?

KARA NO KYOUKAI

OH

GOD

WATCH IT NOW D:

Other than that:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, watch the movies after the series. Absolutely freaking awesome show!

Kuroshitsuji

Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari/Nekomonogatari

Katanagatari

The World God Only Knows, a must watch IMHO for those who like VN's :P Don't take it too seriously, and don't expect too deep of a plot.

And uh, yeah. That's all I can think of ATM.

Would suggest something from this season, but I am only watching Shingeki no Kyojin ATM :| Haven't watched much anime lately, due to video games life, yeeep.

Chihayafuru Season 1 (Watched 2 episodes so far)

WATCH IT! KEEP GOING!

No, seriously, that anime is awesome. Well, actually, it's more a 50/50 between people that think it's awesome like me and people that think it's meh. That depends quite a lot on the person watching, because it's the kind of anime that won't get through everyone.

But Chihayafuru is one of the very few best anime I've seen.

KARA NO KYOUKAI

OH

GOD

WATCH IT NOW D:

Other than that:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, watch the movies after the series. Absolutely freaking awesome show!

Kuroshitsuji

Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari/Nekomonogatari

Katanagatari

The World God Only Knows, a must watch IMHO for those who like VN's :P/> Don't take it too seriously, and don't expect too deep of a plot.

And uh, yeah. That's all I can think of ATM.

Would suggest something from this season, but I am only watching Shingeki no Kyojin ATM :| Haven't watched much anime lately, due to video games life, yeeep.

Season one of TWGOK was really good, further seasons became disappointing. A bit like Bakuman :(

Atm i am watching...

• Oreimo S2
  • Red Data Girl
  • Suisei Gargantia
  • Yahari seishun love comedy (subbing it actually)
  • Railgun but I skip boring bits

Actually haven't even checked out all the shows yet.

haven't checked out Hataraku Maou-sama

Gargantia is only interesting because of the boy and his robot. All the other charas are fluff.

Red Data Girl my favourite this season

Haven't watched Bakuman or season 2 of TWGOK(yet), do they deviate from the manga or something, cut stuff? IMHO, the TWGOK manga is still pretty good :V

Its not so much that it deviates from the manga, I just felt the execution of the second season... it felt like they were going through the motions, but he felt a lot less attached this time round. Plus I really want a season 3, cause I really want character development from certain characters.

Its not so much that it deviates from the manga, I just felt the execution of the second season... it felt like they were going through the motions, but he felt a lot less attached this time round. Plus I really want a season 3, cause I really want character development from certain characters.

Ah, that's a shame :C Hopefully if there's a season 3, they will execute it better.

Knowing myself though, I will probably love the crap out of season 2, way to easily pleased ohohoho >3>~