Which anime should I be watching this season?

Tay

So, as many of you know, I'm pretty darn new to anime. So new, that Sword Art Online was essentially my first love. Fate/Zero was my second. Then we get down to other favorites like Kokoro Connect, Say I Love You, OreImo, and more.

Let me cut to the chase: I'm a proud subscriber to Crunchyroll and want to know which shows I should be watching from either this current line of simulcasts (link), or other shows they host (ex: here's the winter 2013 lineup). Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I don't know which shows are popular vs. critically acclaimed vs. awesome.

I will also add that I just finished watching PMMM (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), and thought it was surprisingly good. Definitely not what I was told to expect from the magical girl genre (which, I think, is why all the critics loved it). It's therefore worth pointing out that I have ZERO experience or preconceived notions about any "genres" or character types. I'm as green as they get, essentially.

Of the currently airing shows you should definitely try Shin Sekai Yori (Though the UTW translation is a lot nicer to read).

Some other good recent shows are Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster), Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (Humanity has declined), Ika-Musume (Squid Girl) and Usagi Drop.

And of course the oldies (compared to the previously mentioned of course) like The Melacholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Hayate no Gotoku and Lucky Star (They don't have a lot of good old shows on crunchyroll so you will definitely miss out if that's your only source for anime)

All of the above except Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (UN propaganda).

My favourites usually KyoAni: Clannad, Hyouka, Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai and the currently airing Tamako Market

On what's on the link both Gintama and Hunter x Hunter are pretty much amazing.

I'm a bit surprised CR doesn't have more shows though, there's almost nothing of the current season.

There're not much good stuff this season... except for Chihayafuru S2, but you'd have to see S1 first.

Oh and on recent animes I'm vouching Jinrui and Shin Sekai Yori. Great stuff.

If we get on older stuff, well... I won't go onto that, otherwise i'll leave the hugest wall of text this forum has ever seen.

Just thought that since you liked Fate/Zero you should REALLY consider watching the Kara no Kyoukai movies. It's Type-moon based too, same studio (except they did better) and same musician composer (except she did better).

except Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (UN propaganda).

Mind developing on what do you mean by that? :blink:

You should definitely check out Little Busters if you haven't already. I'm enjoying it so far and the anime got me interested in the VN (it's in my backlog for now though OTL). I also recommend Zetsuen no Tempest if you like mysteries, Magi if you like fantasy, and Tamako Market if you just want a simple, slice-of-life moe anime (done by KyoAni, who also did Clannad and Kanon 2006).

If you want some older shows to watch, I have a whole list of recommendations ;)

Tay, Tay, now the roles have switched xD Even though I didn't see that much anime (44 complete and it counts OVAs as 1 too).

But like I mentioned elsewhere, Ive been asking everywhere, browsing every anime for hours on Anidb for ones I might like.

And even though I added lot of good ones and saw them, they were mostly comedies.

And there is only few anime that get you the feelings a good VN is able to invoke.

Those for me are Angel Beats (its from KEY) and Anohana

http://anidb.net/per...=anime&aid=6564

http://anidb.net/per...=anime&aid=8181

Not saying the other ones are not excellent, there is Fate/Zero, Madoka, Chuunibyou and others and those I rated 9 in the end (Chuunibyou would make awesome VN imo xD)

But only those 2, Angel Beats and Anohana, were able to receive 10 from me, for me they are on the level of the best VNs, they are on the level of Little Busters, Hoshimemo (my 2 favorite VNs) and even though I didn't play Katawa Shoujo yet, I bet they are as good as that.

So I would really recommend watching those 2, they are like 14 and 11 episodes, something short. I can only dream how it would look like if those 2 were actually VNs, in anime the emotional scene can take like 5-10 minutes due to limited episode length, in VN it can be 30minutes and more and I cry all the time.

So instead of starting new not finished anime from 2013 season, watch these. I personally always wait for the anime to finish airing and only then I watch it, I couldn't handle waiting a week for new EP, I usually watch it in one session.

And also while I am here, if anyone knows any anime (not VN based) that has the emotional impact of Anohana and AB, PLEASE tell me and don't hide it from me xD

Btw, just the anime list for this season. Got this one from PD. I use this one as they change the image every season without changing the URL.

2012-winter-chart.jpg

I look at new releases here http://anidb.net/per...l?show=calendar

you can click them and check what it is straight away

(but as mentioned I usually wait for it to finish airing anyway)

I look at new releases here http://anidb.net/per...l?show=calendar

you can click them and check what it is straight away

(but as mentioned I usually wait for it to finish airing anyway)

Oh, nice website.

Like you I'll probably wait before I check what to watch as there is no anime that really grab my attention, except for last season's sakurasou. Last fall probably gave most of the animes that I want and now there's nothing left. :/

@Steve: I'm not a fan of streaming myself, because torrenting is easier and my internet sucks, but Crunchyroll does have 720p and 1080p versions. As for the translation, they're usually fast and good because they get the script beforehand (since they are official and all). Actually, most of the subs you can torrent from team HorribleSubs are rips from Crunchyroll.

@Steve: I'm not a fan of streaming myself, because torrenting is easier and my internet sucks, but Crunchyroll does have 720p and 1080p versions. As for the translation, they're usually fast and good because they get the script beforehand (since they are official and all). Actually, most of the subs you can torrent from team HorribleSubs are rips from Crunchyroll.

I see. But well there is 1080p and there is 1080p xD I would have to get the file downloaded from the crunchyroll cache to compare, what is the bitrate etc. I mean ofc I don't need some of the coalgirls extremes like 15000 overal xD

Cant judge, perhaps the quality really is good, I just compare it to youtube 1080p limit - it is good but not the best.

I just wonder where do they get the video from? If they are able to stream non-censored BD version without ads on the day of the TV episode, it would be great, but then I am sure some of the fan TL groups would just rip their release and sub over it xD (and I didnt see that)

And if they get the TV version, do they still have the ads and censor there?

What do they do after BD is released, do they replace it with the better version?

This might be not enough information on my side but how are they official? I thought they are like bunch of normal TV/BD rippers who put it online and earn money that way. I can't imagine Japanese companies and producers giving them the files to distribute, why would people then buy official BD if they can get this "official" release there?

What I mean by 'official' is that they have a contract with japanese companies that makes it legal for them to diffuse the anime they diffuse. Which is why it's a paying service, and also why they get their own version of the video and the script.

I just wonder where do they get the video from? If they are able to stream non-censored BD version without ads on the day of the TV episode, it would be great, but then I am sure some of the fan TL groups would just rip their release and sub over it xD (and I didnt see that)

I'm pretty sure they have the TV version without the ads and stuff.

Fansub teams have their own way of getting the TVrips, it's not necessarily faster to get it from CR (although as I said Horriblesubs do that)

I can't imagine Japanese companies and producers giving them the files to distribute, why would people then buy official BD if they can get this "official" release there?

Iirc Crunchyroll is not accesible to Japanese or something like that...

As for American companies, well as you might guess they were not very happy when CR became a legal streaming platform.

I'm pretty sure they have the TV version without the ads and stuff.

Hm, if someone can check for me if they have uncensored To Love Ru: Darkness series, i might be willing to pay for it just to watch that (with American VPN as it is not working in Europe anyway). Officially only episode 1 and 2 were released uncensored in Japan and those are the only uncensored episodes I have, the rest 3-12 is still censored and will be released very slowly in packs of 2 episodes per BD in Japan.

If CR offers uncensored BD version in HQ, I might be willing to invest to that as it would be a benefit over torrented version.

But I doubt it, if they really had uncensored version, there would even be torrent release from their cache xD

But to me they are on the same level as other fansub groups, they just paid money to lawyers to get the necessary things allowed etc and now they earn money for what others do for free. But well as mentioned elsewhere, people has to live somehow, if this is how they do it then so be it, I just wonder how much of the money actually goes to the producers :)

First: I have several "Guest Passes" which give you 100% access for a few weeks to try it out for free. If anybody (Steve?) wants to try one, let me know and I'll PM you the info

Second: Crunchyroll is a manifestation of my personal consumer theory. It's the way I give back to the anime-world. In the realm of visual novels, if I love a game, I will buy/import it as a sign of support (my next buy will be the Vita release of FSN). Similarly, if a game has an official translation, I will pay for it (either in addition to, or rather than, getting a fan translation) in order to show official demand in US-English markets. I have no ethical problem with torrenting, but like Aaeru suggests on the main site's FAQ, if I like a product I am 100% motivated to commercially voicing my support.

Third: Wow, these are awesome suggestions! Thank you! (and please, feel free to keep them coming!)

EDIT: Fourth - Hey, so I looked at this image as suggested above, and I didn't see anything about the Kokoro Connect OVAs that are supposed to be coming out soon. Since I'm new to Anime, where do I go to find out about my favorite shows and their upcoming OVAs/etc.?

EDIT: Fourth - Hey, so I looked at this image as suggested above, and I didn't see anything about the Kokoro Connect OVAs that are supposed to be coming out soon. Since I'm new to Anime, where do I go to find out about my favorite shows and their upcoming OVAs/etc.?

You can probably try Steve's site

Also liking different fan pages in facebook helps. You can also look if the series you are looking for has an official fan page or whatsoever.

Hm, if someone can check for me if they have uncensored To Love Ru: Darkness series, i might be willing to pay for it just to watch that

They don't. As I said what they have is strictly the same as what's on TV in Japan, except there are no commercials or sponsor stuff, but it's still the exact same so they will be censored. (I'm not even sure the BD version actually exist already when the episode is aired >_>)

I guess myanimelist should do that quite well. If you want more firsthand information you can check news website (animenewsnetwork is among the most reliable english one) but it'll only be about fresh news, if you want to check the existence of an OVA/special/whatever for your serie MAL is the way to go.

(Oh, btw, I think the Kokoro Connect OVAs went out at least a week ago)

My Anime List -.-

God, how did I forgot about it. Yep, MAL is one of the best sites when it comes to OVAs, episode numbers and alike. There is also a web app that gathers recommendations for you based on how you are the different animes you have watched. The only downside is, listing all the animes you have watched and rating them is a pain so better start asap.

If you want to laugh your ass off id recommend:

Azumanga Diaoh Totally funny, non stop laughs

Ichigo mashimaro This one is an absolute MUST. Miu is one of the funniest animated characters EVER.

Lucky Star Absolute classic

others I can list are:

Cowboy Bebop

Death Note

Chobits

Elfin lied

man I can go on forever. These 7 are pretty much MUST SEE's

I dont have a crunchyroll sub but can hook you up with links to download.

First: I have several "Guest Passes" which give you 100% access for a few weeks to try it out for free. If anybody (Steve?) wants to try one, let me know and I'll PM you the info

Second: Crunchyroll is a manifestation of my personal consumer theory. It's the way I give back to the anime-world. In the realm of visual novels, if I love a game, I will buy/import it as a sign of support (my next buy will be the Vita release of FSN). Similarly, if a game has an official translation, I will pay for it (either in addition to, or rather than, getting a fan translation) in order to show official demand in US-English markets. I have no ethical problem with torrenting, but like Aaeru suggests on the main site's FAQ, if I like a product I am 100% motivated to commercially voicing my support.

Third: Wow, these are awesome suggestions! Thank you! (and please, feel free to keep them coming!)

1. Well since Down confirmed it is the same, ill just wait for BD :) Thanks for the offer though. It doesn't work here in Europe anyway xD

2. I see, well if the money goes to the producers and even translators and not some random fat businessman sitting on chair laughing, I'm ok with that xD

3. Start with AB :P

4. Like mentioned, use one of the anime databases like MAL or my favorite AniDB http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar

I like anidb because it is very complex and I like complex stuff.

MAL is more like community focused, lot of reviews and discussions and ratings and favorites (which are on AniDB as well and there is tons of them), where as AniDB is more informative, extremely detailed, you can find there what group has what bitrate of an episode etc xD (like http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=file&fid=879829)

Or where else sings the one who sung your favorite OP http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=17686

Including all her persona (they often change name xD). There is also tons of community like groups and it even has achievements of what you watched and it can track what file you played and automatically update it to your list xD

But if you don't need these kind of information you are probably better off with MAL as it is more simplistic, people get lost on AniDB xD But the info is there :P

You can check my stats, it even tells you how much time I wasted watching anime soon it will be 11 days xD http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=userpage&uid=517925. My friend has 76 days xD

Alright, I just finished Angel Beats.

Wow. That was really something.

A big thanks to everybody who suggested it. What a wonderful thing.

----------------------

Time passes

----------------------

Okay, now I can think straight again. So. A few thoughts:

• I need to look into the original writers/translators of AB. At multiple times -- especially during the last few episodes -- the wording made me think that one of the writers or translators had some background in my particular faith. It was all used in a really specific (and totally beautiful) way, but kept my eyebrows raised the whole time.
  • Steve -- Okay, I put in LOTS of hours and absolutely loved Angel Beats. Now it's your turn. You have to play chapter 1 of Katawa Shoujo now : )
  • Now I have to choose the next show to watch... so many suggestions! So many choices. Thanks, everyone!

Hey Tay, can i have one of those guest passes. Id like to check it out.

Angel Beats is a great anime. Glad to see you liked it. The anime I recommended its a bit older, but its NOT to be underestimated. Its great stuff so you should check it out eventually as I know your throughly enjoy them.