Is Sword Art Online Worth Watching?

those who played the .hack games will appreciate it more :D

its not really supposed to be that good of an anime series really but the games are just awesome :D

Not necessarily. I mean, it helps to play the games if you want to understand the ending in Sign and learn more about the setting, but it can still be a worthwhile experience as a standalone. Plus, there are even people who have played the games and still didn't like Sign (weird people). And though it'd definitely benefit greatly from playing the games, I feel that Quantum would also work really well as a standalone.

I've heard a lot of people knock on SAO because of its universal appeal to draw a large crowd.

I somewhat understand what they mean because if an Anime's target is wide, they can sacrifice the appeal to more picky audiences.

But if it's like Attack on Titan sort of popularity, I can live with that.

I only watched the first 1st episode of SAO and I thought the cast (bad guy included) looked too lame to continue.

I liked the anime quite a lot, the setting and interesting death game made it fun to watch. The LN's are okay'ish. The SAO and GAO arc's is arguably the best ones. I'd just drop the 2nd arch (ALO) after the SAO arc, and go to season two afterwards. So far season 2 has been nice.

Well most of it is fairly good but IMO i didn't quite like the ALO arc. However, they kept the ordering and plot fantastically in line with the light novels (which I also read). Its pretty good overall and I think you should watch it unless you really are desperate on time. You can always watch it in the future.

Well most of it is fairly good but IMO i didn't quite like the ALO arc. However, they kept the ordering and plot fantastically in line with the visual novels (which I also read). Its pretty good overall and I think you should watch it unless you really are desperate on time. You can always watch it in the future.

You mean light novels right? Sword art online doesn't have a visual novel (It does have 2 games true, but they are made after an anime).

I've heard good things about it from a few friends, and saw it listed on Netflix, but since I'm going to start college soon, and hopefully get a steady job, I'm not sure how much time I can commit to watching anime, so I want to be sure it's good enough to spend my free time watching.  Anyone watched it, or heard good things about it?

No. It's not worth the watch yet it is worth watching. First half is ultra amazing, second half is really good. What's not good? That half-assed animation and art they've done. Repetitive scenes and what not. There's some good parts but only for what, like 10 or 20 seconds?

Story lacks a lot of ground as well. Everything I said here is just my pure opinion.

I'll watch the second season when it's finished. Maybe they fixed their screw ups from S1 (doubt it).

Read the light novel. It's the original and it covers a lot of the loop holes that the anime left.

No. It's not worth the watch yet it is worth watching. First half is ultra amazing, second half is really good. What's not good? That half-assed animation and art they've done. Repetitive scenes and what not. There's some good parts but only for what, like 10 or 20 seconds?

Story lacks a lot of ground as well. Everything I said here is just my pure opinion.

I'll watch the second season when it's finished. Maybe they fixed their screw ups from S1 (doubt it).

Read the light novel. It's the original and it covers a lot of the loop holes that the anime left.

Completely agreed.