Is Sword Art Online Worth Watching?

For me, the life and death drama of the first arc, and the realistic way people went a bit bugfuck in that situation, were what made the series great... that and I lapped up Kirito's despair like honey.  他人の不幸は蜜の味

This is pretty much what I liked about it--and why the second arc falls flat.

The second arc was a disaster.  The antagonist was ridiculous, basically turning the entire scenario into a farce.  While I typically like incest, the angst created was not sufficient to satisfy.

This is pretty much what I liked about it--and why the second arc falls flat.

The second arc was a disaster.  The antagonist was ridiculous, basically turning the entire scenario into a farce.  While I typically like incest, the angst created was not sufficient to satisfy.

We true fans of SAO loved the second arc just as much as first, if anything most of my favorite moments where in second arc

that scene when

Sugu discoverers that Kirito is her oni-chan is just epic

and Sugu is my favorite character.

SAO is not about life and death battles it's about feelings.

We true fans of SAO loved the second arc just as much as first, if anything most of my favorite moments where in second arc

that scene when

Sugu discoverers that Kirito is her oni-chan is just epic

and Sugu is my favorite character.

SAO is not about life and death battles it's about feelings.

But it's because the anime is about "feelings" (i'm assuming you mean the romantic plot) that it's so superfluous and is no masterpiece. Why are you wasting so much potential on a crappy romantic plot and an even crappier heroine when you have so many better things you can do?

What this anime did was just a different form of the damsel in distress formula. It was just flashier than some others.

Not that there's anything wrong with the romantic plot (other than the fact Asuna is the worst heroine possible) but the flashy action really could have achieved something bigger, and it did in the first arc, just like the life and death drama did something for it, and then in the second it didn't and they shoved really forced drama to keep the story going which just didn't work for a lot of people.

I like Sugu more than Asuna, but even she didn't save the show from the failure that was the 2nd arc.

That's why I can't call SAO the best anime ever, it's not the best neither romance wise nor action wise. It's just okay and mildly entertaining with its flashyness. Keep in mind that mildly entertaining > boring so you won't have a bad time watching it, at least i didn't, but it's no god tier show.

So I'll give you the advice my friend gave me and I didn't listen to:  "No, you're wrong, there's only 14 episodes.  It doesn't go on.  I don't care what you've read online.  It ends there, trust me. "

What, like how there's only two Alien movies?  *stuffs fingers in ears to prevent hearing contrary facts*  Laa dee laa, I can't hear anything!  Alien 3 and 4 are lies, lies and slander.

What, like how there's only two Alien movies?  *stuffs fingers in ears to prevent hearing contrary facts*  Laa dee laa, I can't hear anything!  Alien 3 and 4 are lies, lies and slander.

Exactly, just like there's never been been a live-action transformers movie, ever.  Hollywood should really get on that. 

But it's because the anime is about "feelings" (i'm assuming you mean the romantic plot) that it's so superfluous and is no masterpiece. Why are you wasting so much potential on a crappy romantic plot and an even crappier heroine when you have so many better things you can do?

What this anime did was just a different form of the damsel in distress formula. It was just flashier than some others.

Not that there's anything wrong with the romantic plot (other than the fact Asuna is the worst heroine possible) but the flashy action really could have achieved something bigger, and it did in the first arc, just like the life and death drama did something for it, and then in the second it didn't and they shoved really forced drama to keep the story going which just didn't work for a lot of people.

I like Sugu more than Asuna, but even she didn't save the show from the failure that was the 2nd arc.

That's why I can't call SAO the best anime ever, it's not the best neither romance wise nor action wise. It's just okay and mildly entertaining with its flashyness. Keep in mind that mildly entertaining > boring so you won't have a bad time watching it, at least i didn't, but it's no god tier show.

It's not crappy romance it's amassing epic romance with a mix of action, and no flashy action wouldn't be any better, if you just want flashy action go watch something else, there is bunch of those and this one is simply not about that. Drama in second arc is not forced at all and just as romance it's epic and for people who it didn't work out it was so because they ware looking for something that this anime is not about, it's like watching slice of life romance Anime and then complaining that it's slice of life romance and not action. If you don't like epic drama and epic romance with some great action here and there then SAO is not for you but don't go and complain that action is not it's main focus it's stupid.

All you've said to me was that the anime was epic, the drama was epic, the romance was epic, you didn't even point out a moment where such epicness was depicted.

All I see in SAO, regarding the romance, is a cliche damsel in distress scenario.

The first arc worked better where you see their relationship develop and reach that level of bond where they're both fighting alongside each other and caring for each other, that was alright despite being cliche (let's put aside the fact that Asuna is a horrible excuse of a tsundere heroine).

The second arc's romantic plot with Sugu however was incredibly forced just for the sake of having a girl next side Kirito, but this is a reoccurring SAO flaw so whatever i'll let this one pass since my hopes for a good romance were already destroyed when they introduced Asuna.

The drama was indeed good in the first arc, it was captivating and made you care for the characters, in the second arc however the drama revolves around Asuna and her uselessness and this really bad excuse of a villain who you barely care for, the whole story is cliche and predictable and there's no "epic" to it, just your average romantic plot you can find in plenty other anime already.

That's why I said they could have used more characters, explore the setting, more action, because everything else was just average at best.

I'm sorry but none of these fall into my definition of "epic".

But I guess our standards for "epic" are pretty far appart anyway.

I'm trying to point out objective stuff that happened and explain why it was good or bad, and all you've given me was how you thought everything was "epic", probably because the anime suited your tastes a lot and thus you're blinded by everything else.

It's fine to have your tastes, i'm guilty of having my specific tastes and rating some anime as epic as well. The difference is I understand why I think it's epic, it's because it entertained me and i enjoyed it a lot, i'm still very capable of seeing its flaws when other people point it out, I might not agree with some, but I definitely am able to open my eyes and see that some shows, objectively, are not that perfect.

I guess that's where we're different and to me trying to formulate arguments against a person blinded by their tastes is pointless.

Not to mention this thread is not about me and you, it's about OP, and i've already given my reasons to OP, so i'm pretty done here.

All you've said to me was that the anime was epic, the drama was epic, the romance was epic, you didn't even point out a moment where such epicness was depicted.

All I see in SAO, regarding the romance, is a cliche damsel in distress scenario.

The first arc worked better where you see their relationship develop and reach that level of bond where they're both fighting alongside each other and caring for each other, that was alright despite being cliche (let's put aside the fact that Asuna is a horrible excuse of a tsundere heroine).

The second arc's romantic plot with Sugu however was incredibly forced just for the sake of having a girl next side Kirito, but this is a reoccurring SAO flaw so whatever i'll let this one pass since my hopes for a good romance were already destroyed when they introduced Asuna.

The drama was indeed good in the first arc, it was captivating and made you care for the characters, in the second arc however the drama revolves around Asuna and her uselessness and this really bad excuse of a villain who you barely care for, the whole story is cliche and predictable and there's no "epic" to it, just your average romantic plot you can find in plenty other anime already.

That's why I said they could have used more characters, explore the setting, more action, because everything else was just average at best.

I'm sorry but none of these fall into my definition of "epic".

But I guess our standards for "epic" are pretty far appart anyway.

I'm trying to point out objective stuff that happened and explain why it was good or bad, and all you've given me was how you thought everything was "epic", probably because the anime suited your tastes a lot and thus you're blinded by everything else.

It's fine to have your tastes, i'm guilty of having my specific tastes and rating some anime as epic as well. The difference is I understand why I think it's epic, it's because it entertained me and i enjoyed it a lot, i'm still very capable of seeing its flaws when other people point it out, I might not agree with some, but I definitely am able to open my eyes and see that some shows, objectively, are not that perfect.

I guess that's where we're different and to me trying to formulate arguments against a person blinded by their tastes is pointless.

Not to mention this thread is not about me and you, it's about OP, and i've already given my reasons to OP, so i'm pretty done here.

If something is masterpiece it doesn't have flaws. And something like truly objective rating of Anime doesn't exist I don't know where from did that delusion come from. As for what is epic about SAO it is everything, each scene each second of it was epic without a single flaw that's why it is masterpiece. Drama and romance of a second arc weren't forced and they where epic, if you want something specific

It was epic how Sugu fell in love in her oni-chan but because she knew she loves someone else she tried to forgot about him, and once she finally thinks she fell in love with someone else it only turns out that she fell in love with him all over again, and there fight after everything was "open on table" he wants to let her kill him in game as an apology even true that means so much to him and she can't do it and in a middle of battle they fell in each others arms in the air, I literary screamed with a tears in my eyes when I saw that scene.

I could write every single scene of SAO and explain to you why it is so epic if you want. And whichever flaw you think it has I could explain to you why it isn't a flaw as everything in SAO is just perfect, everything has a reason why it is the way it is, everything fits perfectly, and every second of it is a second worth living for.

It's certainly worth watching - I will admit that once the second arc starts rolling around it's better to not think about it too hard.  It's a bit off in a lot of ways.  That said, once you hit the second season it certainly starts to kick up again - and in opposition to what Celphas said the second season actually brings back a lot of the darker aspects that were absent from the second art.

In all honesty, it was the author's first story at the time - and while it certainly isn't without its flaws, it's still a pleasant experience that's bound to only get better as the author improves (Or 'Improved', as the light novels are all several years old by this point.)

So, yes - it's absolutely worth watching.

Well, looks like I unintentionally started a flame war.  Sorry about that.  Didn't know it was a "love it or hate it" anime.

Yeah, it's uhh... Yeah. You got them zealous fanboys/girls that defend it to their last breath (that have no mind of their own) and the people that hate it completely for no reason... Other than to hate it.

Then you have people that see it for what it is. A great anime, but not flawless by any means.

If something is masterpiece it doesn't have flaws. And something like truly objective rating of Anime doesn't exist I don't know where from did that delusion come from. As for what is epic about SAO it is everything, each scene each second of it was epic without a single flaw that's why it is masterpiece. Drama and romance of a second arc weren't forced and they where epic, if you want something specific

It was epic how Sugu fell in love in her oni-chan but because she knew she loves someone else she tried to forgot about him, and once she finally thinks she fell in love with someone else it only turns out that she fell in love with him all over again, and there fight after everything was "open on table" he wants to let her kill him in game as an apology even true that means so much to him and she can't do it and in a middle of battle they fell in each others arms in the air, I literary screamed with a tears in my eyes when I saw that scene.

I could write every single scene of SAO and explain to you why it is so epic if you want. And whichever flaw you think it has I could explain to you why it isn't a flaw as everything in SAO is just perfect, everything has a reason why it is the way it is, everything fits perfectly, and every second of it is a second worth living for.

So you feel that SAO has no flaws? Well lets start of with the relationship of Kirito and asuna. To me it felt like the romance was written by a teenage girl guessing how romances work. Guy meets girl, they kind know each other, spend some time together, she acts like she doesn't like him (BULLSHIT). She cooks for him, she suddenly likes him, they spend a few more days together, and then they decide to get married. The whole thing was just handled so lazily and developed a ridiculously unnatural pace,leaving Asuna as nothing more than just a plot device by the end.

The characters of this show have enough individual problems to fill a Britannic Encyclopedia set. In all seriousness after watching all 25 episodes of following Kirito is that hes some badass because he wears black clothes and is really good at videogames, spends most of his time trying to be the lone antihero. He's the ultimate wish fulfillment character since he is stupidly overpowered for unexplained reasons. Asuna for all the potential she showed in her badass introduction, just turns out to be a generic Tsundere and doesn't develop any deeper than that.

So you feel that SAO has no flaws? Well lets start of with the relationship of Kirito and asuna. To me it felt like the romance was written by a teenage girl guessing how romances work. Guy meets girl, they kind know each other, spend some time together, she acts like she doesn't like him (BULLSHIT). She cooks for him, she suddenly likes him, they spend a few more days together, and then they decide to get married. The whole thing was just handled so lazily and developed a ridiculously unnatural pace,leaving Asuna as nothing more than just a plot device by the end.

The characters of this show have enough individual problems to fill a Britannic Encyclopedia set. In all seriousness after watching all 25 episodes of following Kirito is that hes some badass because he wears black clothes and is really good at videogames, spends most of his time trying to be the lone antihero. He's the ultimate wish fulfillment character since he is stupidly overpowered for unexplained reasons. Asuna for all the potential she showed in her badass introduction, just turns out to be a generic Tsundere and doesn't develop any deeper than that.

Yes SAO has no flaws, relationship between Kirito and Asuna was very romantic one, if you think otherwise then you don't know anything about pure romance and true love, how they meet how they get married in a virtual fantasy world and how they adopted Yui everything of it was just epic without a single flaw.

And your second part of post is just ridiculous. Kirito is a great gamer and in a virtual world it is obvious that he will be a bad-ass because of it and his personalty is what makes him even greater even outside of VR games. Asuna was powerless in second arc because she wasn't part of the game she was simply trapped and  it made a space for an epic "Princes rescue" plot and it also shown how much trust and love she has in/for Kirito. There is no any flaws here.

SAO is, for better or worse (this is my opinion though, so you're going to have to make your own opinion about it before you decide whether or not this opinion is wrong or right.) a light snack.

You can enjoy it while just shoveling it into your mouth. but when you start to pay attention to the taste, you realize that you might want a cake instead.

or to use other words: SAO is merely what it is. If you like things that uses similar tropes/traits or have seen an abundance of those tropes/traits, then you might get the feeling that you have seen it before. And then it becomes predictable. You no longer care of what you are watching, because you feel like you've seen it before. And if you haven't seen those tropes before, then congratulations, it's a a brand new thing that you most likely will enjoy.

What you will get from asking about how it is though, is a bunch of subjective opinions. Everyone is right, and everyone with a different opinion is wrong.

So I recommend you to watch it.

After all, since there are so many people with strong opinions about it then it can't hurt to watch it, and then see which opinion is right from your perspective, right?

Yes SAO has no flaws, relationship between Kirito and Asuna was very romantic one, if you think otherwise then you don't know anything about pure romance and true love, how they meet how they get married in a virtual fantasy world and how they adopted Yui everything of it was just epic without a single flaw.

And your second part of post is just ridiculous. Kirito is a great gamer and in a virtual world it is obvious that he will be a bad-ass because of it and his personalty is what makes him even greater even outside of VR games. Asuna was powerless in second arc because she wasn't part of the game she was simply trapped and  it made a space for an epic "Princes rescue" plot and it also shown how much trust and love she has in/for Kirito. There is no any flaws here.

Are you trolling?

SAO had good animation, a decent story, a very good pace, interesting characters, a cool charismatic protagonist, and pleasant romance.

During the first arc that is.

Second arc is rubbish, mr protag loses all his charisma, the antagonist is incredibly annoying and stupid, the new female character is useless and it has some pointless fan service which hits the final blow to an already failed arc.

Just to seemingly spit into the ocean here, here's my view on SAO.

It is a good anime. The first arc is nice, and it has its good moments. Kirito as a protagonist though isn't exactly deep. If you're looking for an interesting and flawed character or a Chessmaster and such, look elsewhere. Second arc is decent, although not as good as the first. Basically, if you want a nice anime to kill some time with and like very nice visuals and fight-scenes, as well as a competently written storyline, then SAO should occupy your time. The new season, which covers a new MMO, Gun Gale Online, while still airing, is very good so far, with some more interesting stuff in it.

Although, to paraphrase GRArkada: 'At times, Sword Art Online felt like the characters were trapped in a generic fantasy world, rather than a game.'

So to sum up, if you want a nice anime that doesn't need you to draw a flow-chart to understand the plot and has some cool looking visuals and fight-scenes, as well as being competent most of the time, then Sword Art Online is the thing for you.

If you want something with a bit more depth and a nice Chess-master style character who can probably rank up there with Light and Lelouch in terms of brainpower and manipulating people into doing what he wants, as well as certain parts being more interesting and detailed, then check out Log Horizon.

And I feel weird being the one to say this, but people, Zenophilious asked if Sword Art Online was something worth watching. That does not mean you can start a war over whether it's shit or not in this thread. You give the person your opinion, then you leave it that, preferably without either fanboying over it or trolling people who say it was good or over-exaggerate parts of it. Don't throw shit at people who don't like it as much as you do. I made a thread for stuff like this a long time ago, provided it hasn't been deleted or buried somewhere. Go find that, and debate about how you see it there. Not in a thread someone made to find out if the anime is worth watching. That is just not gentlemanly, people.

*Braces for potential backlash*

Are you trolling?

I newer troll anyone. Like I said SAO is a masterpiece and masterpiece is perfect it doesn't have any flaws not a single one.

And I feel weird being the one to say this, but people, Zenophilious asked if Sword Art Online was something worth watching. That does not mean you can start a war over whether it's shit or not in this thread. You give the person your opinion, then you leave it that, preferably without either fanboying over it or trolling people who say it was good or over-exaggerate parts of it. Don't throw shit at people who don't like it as much as you do. I made a thread for stuff like this a long time ago, provided it hasn't been deleted or buried somewhere. Go find that, and debate about how you see it there. Not in a thread someone made to find out if the anime is worth watching. That is just not gentlemanly, people.

You can't open a thread if SAO is worth watching and not expect a huge flame war. Half people would gladly die for this anime (including myself) and one forth absolutely hate it. And I haven't over-exaggerated anything SAO is epic and perfect the best thing that exist in this world it's worth being worshiped.

I newer troll anyone. Like I said SAO is a masterpiece and masterpiece is perfect it doesn't have any flaws not a single one.

You can't open a thread if SAO is worth watching and not expect a huge flame war. Half people would gladly die for this anime (including myself) and one forth absolutely hate it. And I haven't over-exaggerated anything SAO is epic and perfect the best thing that exist in this world it's worth being worshiped.

I dont hate SAO. I was never bored while watching. It just has a few problems. Its not as good as the fans claim it to be and not as bad as the haters claim it to be either.

To answer the actual post i'd say watch it, if you want any kind of enjoyment from this anime then its best to watch it without thinking to much.

Lets keep posts to facts please and avoid any insults based on other peoples opinions.

As you have all pointed out, other people like other things. Any more posts about people having stupid opinions because they like or dislike SAO will be met with action.

People compare SAO and Log Horizon for obvious reasons.  I thought the first arc of SAO was clearly superior, with gripping drama and human conflict resembling what you'd expect if you plopped actual MMO players into that sort of situation.  If anything, Log Horizon gave me the sense of people trapped in a generic fantasy world.  Aside from a few scenes where game mechanics are explained, the characters basically settle into their life in the new world and appear to harbor no deep attachment to their former lives.  The uninspired setting is further marred by generic comedy skits that are reused over and over.  Log Horizon is very much centered on the logistics of running a guild--which I didn't find to be very interesting as subject matter.  Sword Art Online is an imagining of what a fantasy world populated by immature MMO players would feel like.  It captures the horror of a punishing old-style MMO where defeat is probable, even expected, yet that defeat is frighteningly permanent.

People compare SAO and Log Horizon for obvious reasons.

where did log horizon come into this from? thats a completely different type of anime ;s

Like freestyle said SAO and Log Horizon are completely different type of anime the only thing they have in common are people being trapped in VR RPGs.

I'll give you that one, but given how they're similar but have different takes on the whole 'trapped within a virtual MMO setting', comparisons between the two are inevitable, despite the large number of differences they have when compared to each other. And it is always useful to know about it in case you want to watch something that falls into the category of 'different execution, similar/same premise'. And it is one of the few anime (that I know of at least), that you can actually compare to SAO, the other one seeming to be the DotHack franchise, although i haven't really had a look at that one.