Is Sword Art Online Worth Watching?

I've heard good things about it from a few friends, and saw it listed on Netflix, but since I'm going to start college soon, and hopefully get a steady job, I'm not sure how much time I can commit to watching anime, so I want to be sure it's good enough to spend my free time watching.  Anyone watched it, or heard good things about it?

Despite the similarish concept I found accel world a lot more enjoyable to watch. If you like the first few episodes of SAO then you will probably enjoy the rest but if not then you will most likely just dislike it.

Can't believe I'll be the one to defend SAO here.

SAO is pretty good and entertaining. When it aired it had lots and lots of fans to the point where they were being really annoying and overestimating the show but they seem to have vanished.

To sum it up;

Main issues you could have with it is the Gary Stu protagonist, and some inconsistencies and lacking in the plot. I'm not a fan of the dialog writing but meh.

Other than that you have some nice action, tension and drama. The OST is really good. It doesn't look bad. The first half in particular is definitely worth seeing.

This aside, if you'd prefer another "trapped in a MMO" anime with a really different approach (focus on strategy rather than action, and much tighter universe building), I can only recommend you to watch Log Horizon. It has its flaws too but it really depends on what you're looking for.

Definitely, it's my number #1 unbeatable favorite anime, in my opinion noting is better then it and very few Anime can even come close to it.

When it aired it had lots and lots of fans to the point where they were being really annoying and overestimating the show but they seem to have vanished.

We haven't vanished nor do we overestimating it, SAO is just the best anime ever. And to prove that we haven't vanished, on the MAL 22,786 people have it in it's top 5 witch is more then any other anime out there or at least on the very top.

We haven't vanished nor do we overestimating it, SAO is just the best anime ever. And to prove that we haven't vanished, on the MAL 22,786 people have it in it's top 5 witch is more then any other anime out there.

I knew my invocation spell would be successful :P

And sorry, I don't really trust popular opinion to decide on whether an anime is good or not.

Well, at the very least I should watch a few episodes.  I wasn't sure, since some of my friends are into some anime that I honestly think are utter crap, so I wanted to be sure it wasn't something similar.

Thanks for the posts, guys.  I'll be sure to mention what I think of it after the first few episodes.

I knew my invocation spell would be successful :P

And sorry, I don't really trust popular opinion to decide on whether an anime is good or not.

But this guy is asking for a people's opinions :P

And to put it into numbers from most SAO polls of the days of SAO fans VS haters wars, of the people who watched it:

50% absolutely loved it

25% absolutely hated it

25% in between

People's views on this anime are split wildly.  Since my reasons for liking it seem to be significantly different from other fans of the series, they won't serve as a good reference, but I'll still recommend it to anyone who asks, though I do wish they'd just ended it after the first arc, with no second one or new season.

I agree with Clephas,i enjoyed it in the begining but after they started going in other games it became annoying. Asuna became more or less a useless character then they did that stupid drama with his sister

The new one i havent watched past episode 2 yet,felt like they were pointlessly dragging out everything

For me, the life and death drama of the first arc, and the realistic way people went a bit bugfuck in that situation, were what made the series great... that and I lapped up Kirito's despair like honey.  他人の不幸は蜜の味

First arc was very well set with the game having real life consequences and that being really well portrayed.

The fights were flashy and entertaining and you care for what happens to the characters.

Asuna is still annoying, but that's a matter of tastes on heroines.

Kirito is your typical overpowered protagonist saving his damsel in distress, his character is really shallow so you either like him or not.

It's a pretty solid arc though.

Second arc lost a lot of things that made the first good, but i liked Suguha more than Asuna so that was better than nothing. However the tension of the life or death drama kind of disappears and the anime turns into a sappy romantic drama which you my or may not like.

In the end it all revolves around Kirito and Asuna.

So, overall, the plot is inconsistent but when it wants it can be at its best with cool action scenes and even interesting story elements, but i believe the true focus of SAO really ended up being Kirito and Asuna's relationship so you should kind of go into it expecting that.

It's not a perfect anime, but you can be attracted easily by its flashyness and maybe turn a blind eye on some flaws.

I agree with Clephas,i enjoyed it in the begining but after they started going in other games it became annoying. Asuna became more or less a useless character then they did that stupid drama with his sister

The new one i havent watched past episode 2 yet,felt like they were pointlessly dragging out everything

Basically how I feel as well.  I absolutely loved the first arc to death.  The second one was ok until the end

but I just feel that Asuna got shafted so much that it ruined everything that was built in the first part.

So I'll give you the advice my friend gave me and I didn't listen to:  "No, you're wrong, there's only 14 episodes.  It doesn't go on.  I don't care what you've read online.  It ends there, trust me. "