The Central Pokemon Topic

Stray Cat

So Pokemon Sun & Moon were announced for the 3DS. 

Been hearing all sorts of rumors but with the titles alone I'm thinking it's likely going to take place in a region based on Japan and also deal with amaterasu and tsukiyomi as far as the overall theme might go. The images we've seen definitely look like an island is possible based on the palm trees so it could also potentially be Hawaii, Australia, or one of the other Pacific islands. 

I will more than likely pick up at least one of the games so hopefully this 20th anniversary game is going to be a good one.

Dergonu and I do VGC, we recently met in Cybertron's comment section. The current format is pretty ass though and I really hope for something similar to 2014 to come around.

About Sun and Moon, I couldn't care less which one I get. It's the same game anyway. I am obviously happy to see something new though.

Well damn, seems we have as many people into VGC as we have in the Fuwa Fight thread :illya:

I was in the middle of making a team for this season when the Moon/Sun announcement came out and I said "fuck it". Don't like the format, new game coming out soon, takes way to much time to make a team for online. All the hoops you have to go through for a viable legendary is fucking stupid. 

4 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

All that effort of copypasting a template in PKHeX :illya:

The ideal VGC 2017 would be no restricted pokemon and no Genies. So basically VGC 2014, just with more pokemon.

Still not 100% on terminology. No restricted meaning no legendaries like fucking Mega Rayquaza and Primal Kyogre right? Really dislike the teams filled with legendaries, lacks variety and takes way to much time to assemble legitimately. I hope the next game will make getting into competitive easier.

On 2016年3月10日 at 6:12 AM, TexasDice said:

All that effort of copypasting a template in PKHeX :illya:

The ideal VGC 2017 would be no restricted pokemon and no Genies. So basically VGC 2014, just with more pokemon.

Yeah the restricted mons being added into the stale 2015 format just fucked everything up. 

2014 was a good year. The 2015 world championship was literally just the same team for all the top 8 trainers...  :wahaha: 

Stupid genies and cresselia + a kang. Thats was basically it. 

Hope 2017 will be better. VGC 2016 is boring to me already. 

So for anyone interested in some wildly useless speculation on where the next game will take place I've tried to put the evidence together for the Hawaii theory (which has the best bet at the moment for being right).

The evidence for Hawaii as the location the next game will be based off of seems to be stacking up. 

In the few images released thanks to the video we see that the license plate for one of the cars might have a rainbow...which is exactly what one finds on the license plates of Hawaii, the buildings look very similar in architecture to real Hawaiian buildings, the sun and moon could also be representative of Hawaiian mythology with Hina the moon goddess and Maui the sun god representing the upcoming legendary pokemon especially if we take the fact that all previous games have had a basis on one mythology/religion or another. It would not be a huge stretch.

Other evidence for Hawaii comes from the rough drawn sketch of what seems to be either a red crested cardinal or a woodpecker (the first of which can be found on the islands of Hawaii)

The vehicles shown in the preview as well as the format of the pokemon centers (both the hut like buildings and the fact they seemed to have mobile pokemon centers) definitely look similar to what you might find in Hawaii. Hawaii has yellow fire trucks, the lack of back or a roof to the vehicles could be because of the heat, etc... I'm quite curious if prices for everything will be more expensive and whether or not we might see some tourists from other parts of the pokemon world throughout the game as call outs to previous franchises. It would be pretty damn cool to see some characters from previous games pop up while on vacation (nice call out to the 20th anniversary to see some familiar faces). 

In Pokemon XY (or OR/AS) we also had someone give a souvenir from a far off location and this souvenir looked very much like a tiki.tumblr_inline_my9x6ywi1b1qdvh9x.jpgzeub4.jpg

If that were not enough evidence we also have the fact that there is one final pokemon not actually available in the national dex called Volcanion. This pokemon is about to get a movie and while the Azoth kingdom apparently is in Kalos  we've yet to be able to get it legitimately in a game which makes me think that it will probably be available in the next game and have a connection to that region. Usually the pokemon films have been known to preview the next generation of pokemon in the film before the next game's release and so I think the region of Hawaii with all its volcanoes is probably a perfect place to finally find this one. 

If we take the upcoming film as a sneak peak at the overall theme in the next game then we can probably expect man (technology) vs. nature to be a part of the story. With the name for the games being Moon and Sun it is not unreasonable to assume that the enemy team name this time around will be something around the lines of Team Eclipse (lunar vs solar) or Team Halo/Rainbow (in reference to the rings around the sun that look like a halo or rainbow). Of course the enemy and overall themes could be completely different from that of the films. 

Lot of speculation on my part but I'm essentially convinced that the next game will take part at least partially on a polynesian island of some sort and there is a ton they could do with it to make it interesting.

• 1 month later...

I think they look wierd but not awful. If ya stare at them long enough they get pretty cute (plus the fan art). Pokemon Moon probably the only game I'm truly hyped for this year (unless Dynasty Warriors 9 comes out). The legendaries took awhile to grow on me, but they did. I knew I was already getting Moon but now I am for sure.

Does anyone else play the Pokemon TCG here?

I'm pretty sure every single starter has been greeted with "they look bad this time around" by the more vocal part of the fandom.

They'll grow on us, just like the last 6 sets. But yeah, Nyabii/Litten is definitely my pick.

CiGfT4EUYAArrIl.jpg

Who could say "no" to a face that's...pretty much saying "no" to you already? Cats are great, I swear.

I'll be honest I'm sold on the owl and the cat. The seal dog looks pretty awful although starters have started out bad in the past and become decent by the end of the track. I'm curious about the evolution tracks although I am quite happy that they are trying something different with them this time around.

Rowlet - Grass/Flying

Litten - Fire/Dark (If this is not the case I will be very surprised)

Poplio - Water/Fighting (honestly with the design they currently have outside of ice I really can't see a good secondary attribute outside of fighting or maybe psychic but that would be pushing...although maybe they'll give it a fairy attribute lol).

tumblr_o6yunmO5UH1rnx42io1_500.jpg

Oh also Hawaii confirmed. If the island in the trailer looks small that's because Hawaii is made up of 8 islands and we only see one...(8 badges and 8 islands coincidence I think not).

If anyone bothered to watch the japanese trailer as well as the english one then you will notice that skin pallets are back for the main characters although it is not yet known if clothing customization is back. Pokemon has a habit of removing the best new things from each previous game when they release new ones. It seems unlikely that they would remove it though.

Of the two legendaries though I definitely prefer the McGinnis (kudos if you get the reference). I will probably be getting moon unless this is a case of you get the opposite legendary that's on the box.

Well competetively speaking Rowlet will probably never see the light of day in anything higher than RU

Depending on the stat distribution, Litten might be a stellar option in maybe UU for some of the beefier Steel and Fairy Pokemons and it's basically a Mega-Meavile check and that might be enough of a niche for it along with being a Dark-type that can withstand Fairy attacks and being a nice offensive core with a Dragon-type. Although Landorus is a huge thing in OU

Poplio's movepool is the dealbreaker here. It has the potential to be a sweeper with a huge movepool ala Greninja, but Water/Fighting isn't the best offensive typing out there as it gets completely destroyed by Talonflame. I'd say this one is RU/UU material as well

pokemonsunmoonthumb-1462888061618_large.

These are the starter Pokemon, well I can say they look better than the X and Y starters, the bird and cat look nice, but i'm having issues with the seal, not only is it ugly it also looks like a combination of these two Pokemon.

250px-086Seel.png + 250px-501Oshawott.png

I mean don't we already have a sea lion pokemon right here.:huh:

Gotta say my favorite outta the bunch is Litten, fire types are always the favs with people it seems, me being one of them.

The legendary pokemon look pretty amazing, also a huge step up from X and Y. A lion and a giant bat are pretty cool.

Screen_Shot_2016-05-10_at_11.36.09_AM.0.

The tropical theme is also very interesting something that hasn't been done since Hoenn. Now things that I want to know about are the Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Evil Team, Rival or Rivals, Professor and the Champion.

On Freitag, 13. Mai 2016 at 1:03 PM, Arcadeotic said:

Well competetively speaking Rowlet will probably never see the light of day in anything higher than RU

Depending on the stat distribution, Litten might be a stellar option in maybe UU for some of the beefier Steel and Fairy Pokemons and it's basically a Mega-Meavile check and that might be enough of a niche for it along with being a Dark-type that can withstand Fairy attacks and being a nice offensive core with a Dragon-type. Although Landorus is a huge thing in OU

Poplio's movepool is the dealbreaker here. It has the potential to be a sweeper with a huge movepool ala Greninja, but Water/Fighting isn't the best offensive typing out there as it gets completely destroyed by Talonflame. I'd say this one is RU/UU material as well

>talks competitive

>smogon

:makina: