Under appreciated light novels (translated)

Light novels, in itself, is already a niche medium outside of Japan. Most of the otakus that I've met are into VNs, manga, anime and games. I rarely see people that read LNs, and if they do, it's usually for a light-hearted read or due to an anime adaptation. However, even in this already undistinguished genre, there are some fantastic light novels that I feel are hidden from the eyes of everyone.

At first, I was thinking about writing a review for each of the novels. However I realized that I'm not good at reviewing or recommending stuff, I'll just end up selling the novel short. So I won't even bother to try. I feel that no matter how I express it, words won't do them justice. You'll need to read them on your own to experience just how great they truly are. Whenever I read something amazing, I always feel like I have to share it with someone else. So I'll be glad if even one person enjoyed them! :D

(WIP)

• Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria)

tAG_142602.jpg

Information:
Volumes: 7
Authors: Mikage Eiji (Story), Tetsuo (Art)
Genres: Action, Mystery, Drama, Horror, Romance, School, Supernatural, Psychological, Thriller

Synopsis:
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, or The Empty Box and The Zeroth Maria, tells the sinister story of Kazuki Hoshino, who is almost madly attached to his everyday life, and his antagonist Aya Otonashi, who suddenly transfers into his class—for the 13,118th time. She majestically announces to "break" him, without paying heed to anyone else around them.

This is but the start of a dark roller coaster ride that turns the two against themselves, the people around them and the one who may be god. Read on as their relationship slowly changes and they go against their most basic values in their struggle against the world itself.

Personal Opinion:
HakoMari is the best work of fiction I've ever seen, not just the best light novel. You should definitely give it a shot, if you don't mind it being very dark. People like to throw around the word 'masterpiece' a lot when it comes to describing works that they like, but HakoMari is about the only thing that I would dare call a masterpiece. The way the author writes really draws you into the deep and complex story. He loves to lead you in with clues and then surprises you at every turn.The characters are all fleshed out and very unique, although they seemed like your cliche stereotypes at first. If you like intelligent stuff, this is definitely for you. Time loops, psychological warfare, philosophy, human relationships, ethnics and morals, etc.

Reviews:
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/55215/Utsuro_no_Hako_to_Zero_no_Maria
Baka-Updates: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=53868

• Ame no Hi no Iris (Iris on Rainy Days)

thumb.php?f=Iris_on_Rainy_Days_-_cover_a

Information:
Volumes: 1
Chapters: 5
Authors: Matsuyama Takeshi (Story), Hirasato (Art)
Genres: Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi, Slice of Life, Psychological

Synopsis:
The story is centered around a cute android who initially had a happy life with her master who dearly loved her. But she was then struck by a series of misfortunes and ended up in a robot-equivalent of concentration camp. Through experiencing and witnessing the sufferings towards herself as well as the people/robots around her, she eventually gained a better appreciation of life.

Personal Opinion:
When I started reading Iris on Rainy Days, I went into it expecting a light-hearted slice-of-life novel of a cute android with a little drama in it. What I got was a story that took me on a roller coaster ride of emotions. When reading this short novel, sometimes you'll feel a heartwarming sensation, sometimes you might feel despair, and other times you might be on the edge of your sit. Don't be fooled by it's cutesy appearance, because it contains a really beautiful story within.

Reviews:
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/56923/Ame_no_Hi_no_Iris
Baka-Updates: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=74021

• Gekkou (Moonlight)

250px-Gekkou.jpg

Information:
Chapters: 11
Authors: Mamiya Natsuki (Story), Shiromiso (Art)
Genres: Comedy, Mystery, Romance, School, Shounen

Synopsis:
Gekkou, or "Moonlight", is about the peculiar relationship between a cynical boy and a perfect girl. Said cynical boy is Nonomiya who spends day in day out in boredom, taking refuge from his dull life in his imagination. One fateful day, he happens upon the notebook of the much-rumored beauty Youko Tsukimori, neglected on the ground. Poking out from it is a scrap of paper with the unexpected title "Murder Recipe". His interest ignited, he immediately stuffs it into his pocket, only to find out the promising recipe contains nothing but scenarios that may or may not lead to deadly accidents, not even worthy of being called a plan. When he tentatively asks her about it the next day, she hasn't lost anything. But then her father dies. An accident...

Personal Opinion:
After finishing Gekkou, I can say with confidence that it has to be one of the most mysterious, interesting and unique things I've ever seen. It just felt that special to me. I have never seen a Mystery/Romance genre being shown in this way. Reading the synopsis immediately made me interested in what the plot is going to be. However, where the novel truly shines is in the characters. The interaction between the two characters and the lack of universal morals and laws in them, along with the author's ambiguous style of writing makes it one-of-a-kind and highly entertaining to read. The ending of the novel may seem unsatisfactory to some, as it's not specific but open to interpretation. But, I feel that it's part of the charm of the novel and that it ended perfectly.

Reviews:
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/44167/Gekkou
Baka-Updates: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=68101

• Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Ita koro...... (When Hikaru was on the Earth......)

300px-HgCnI_V01_000a.jpg
Information:
Volumes: 10
Authors: Nomura Mizuki (Story), Takeoka Miho (Art)
Genres: Mystery, Romance, Psychological

Synopsis:
High school student Koremitsu Akagi finds himself attending the funeral of Hikaru Mikado, who had died in an accident during Golden Week. He's not sure why he's there, as he only exchanged a few words with Hikaru at school.

However, Hikaru doesn't seem to be completely gone from the world, as he comes back as a ghost in order to fulfill a promise to Aoi Saotome, his fiancée. Since Koremitsu is the only one who can see him, he asks him to carry out his promise in his place.

Complying with his request, Koremitsu tries to fulfill Hikaru's promises to the rest of his "girlfriends", helping them overcome past misunderstandings and repair broken relationships. But the situation surrounding Hikaru's death is shrouded in mystery, as it's uncertain whether or not he truly died in an accident...

Personal Opinion:
I heave a sigh of satisfaction with a smile at the end of every volume when reading "Hikaru". Hmm, I don't really know what to say about this one... To quote the author,“Hikaru” is a story of separation. Once you finish reading it, you may feel sad, but you will feel a warm feeling in your heart too. I think this describes the novel perfectly. As stated in the review, I feel that the strong point of "Hikaru" lies in the narration. It is all done in an abstract third person, limited to one character’s thoughts and perceptions at a time. The way the narration shifts from one character to another gives much better psychological insight than anything else could. "Hikaru" explores the relationships between humans very well. You will experience a bittersweet feeling in your heart after reading every volume of "Hikaru", but you can't help but just smile.

Reviews:
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/26201/Hikaru_ga_Chikyuu_ni_Ita_koro......
Kafkafuura: http://kafkafuura.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/aoi-review/

• Sayonara Piano Sonata (Goodbye Piano Sonata)

SPS_cover.jpg

Information:
Volumes: 4
Authors: Sugii Hikaru (Story), Ueda Ryo (Art)
Genres: Drama, Music, Romance, Slife-of-Life, Seinen

Synopsis:
The story revolves around a 16 years old boy called Nao, which is son of a music critic and has a hobby of fixing machines. On a visit to a junkyard he meets a girl which is supposed to be a piano prodigy, to their surprise, she transfers to his school and enters his life. On top of it, he has a strange senpai and his childhood friend who want him to join their band...

Personal Opinion:
Going into Sayonara Piano Sonata, I had very high expectations. For one, it's written by Sugii Hikaru, the author of Kamisama no Memochou. More about KamiMemo later. Secondly, I'm a sucker for the music genre. And I was not disappointed when I finished the series. It was a perfect blend of romance and music. I really like the way the author handles the romance. Unlike most rom-coms you see nowadays, the romance isn't needlessly dragged out with no clear conclusion at the end. No idea what's with that trend, it's really frustrating to me. Although our protagonist is, like every other MC in every other romance series, unbelievably dense to the point of making you want to face palm at times, I feel that the author made use of it very well to create drama. Unlike your generic rom-com, the female casts in SPS aren't just added to the MC's harem to fill stereotypes. They are there for a reason, not fan-service. Also, the music aspect of the novel is very well written. You can see just how much research the author went through just to write the novel. The way he describes the music is so captivating that even if you have no knowledge on music whatsoever, like me, you'll still be able to capture the feelings of the characters.

Reviews:
C.E. Translation: http://cetranslation.blogspot.sg/2011/07/review-sayonara-piano-sonata.html
Baka-Tsuki: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/blog/?p=265

• Kamisama no Memochou (Heaven's Memo Pad)

20110801.jpg

Information:
Volumes: 4
Authors: Sugii Hikaru (Story), Kishida Mel (Art)
Genres: Drama, Mystery, Romance, Slife-of-Life, Comedy

Synopsis:
"I am not an ordinary detective, but a NEET detective. Searching the whole world to locate the words of the dead."

The NEET Detective leading the NEETs who gathered in the dark alley— Alice said that.

The perplexing incident that Ayaka and I were wound into during the winter of my first year at high school, and also the malicious drug 'Angel Fix' that corroded the city, the mystery was unraveled by the detective girl Alice who doesn't take even one step out of her room.

"Knowing the truth might destroy the tranquil life of your past, do you wish to know even so?"

Because of my answer, the NEETs who usually do nothing were mobilized to solve the case!

Personal Opinion:
**Before I begin, yes, I know that KamiMemo isn't exactly under appreciated. In fact, it had won several awards in three consecutive years before. It's by no means under appreciated in Japan. However, that might not be true outside of Japan. Take a look at MAL, for example. It's ranked around 4,500th the last time I checked. I know it isn't concrete proof, but that's how I feel.
First things first, the novel is much better than the anime. Sorry, I just have to say it. It was even disclosed in volume 8 that the anime producer ignored Sugii's scenario and made up his own. With that out of the way, KamiMemo is an amazing mystery drama novel. To quote Shadow, KamiMemo is a blend of dark harsh reality with a hint of hope left within. Its masterful portrayal of the emotions and harshness of reality along with its presentation of very interesting ideas in a not-so-ordinary fashion, makes me a big fan of the series. I also absolutely adore the characters. I mean, where else can you find a cast made up of a gambler-cum-boxer, a gigolo, a military otaku and a loli NEET detective?! The protagonist might seem like your typical weak and indecisive wimp at first, but I have to give props to Sugii for turning him into a great character. And I'm the guy who hates those spineless MCs. What more can I say, go read it for yourself. Why? Well, because: it's the only NEET thing to do.

Reviews:

**Sorry, I coudn't find any reviews for the novel. This (kinda) proves my point on the popularity of KamiMemo outside of Japan. You'll have to make do with 'community reviews' on Goodreads. Those are the only ones I could find.
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3950629-1-kami-sama-no-memo-ch

• Kamisu Reina Series

117705.jpg

Information:
Volumes: 2
Authors: Eiji Mikage (Story)
Genres: Drama, Supernatural, Psychological

Synopsis:
She is my best friend — a member of the track-and-field club and in a different class, but we always go home together.

She is my hateful nemesis — the murderer of my family. I won't forgive her and I will take revenge!
She is my fellow partner — together, we fight against the humanoid energies to save the world.
She is my...

She is always smiling with an absurdly beautiful smile. What is she to you...?

Personal Opinion:
Well played Eiji Mikage, very well played indeed! Once again, Eiji (the writer of HakoMari) manages to blow my mind and impress me like no other, in just a single volume. Throughout the whole story, you will find yourself constantly asking the question: Who is Kamisu Reina? And that is where Eiji's amazing writing comes in. Volume 1 is made up of 5 chapters, each containing its own short story. However, there is one common aspect that connects all of them, and that is the mysterious Reina. At the end of each chapter, you will learn a little more about the existence known as Kasumi Reina. As you slowly but surely piece together all the clues, you will probably arrive at an answer by the end of volume 1 — but is it the correct one?

Reviews:
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/67777/Kamisu_Reina_Series

• Tabi ni Deyou, Horobiyuku Sekai no Hate Made (Our Journey to the End of the Ceasing World)

Tabi_ni_Deyou_Cover.jpg

Information:
Authors: Yorozuya Tadahito (Story), Houmitsu (Art)
Genres: Adventure, Fantasy

Synopsis:
The story revolves around a boy and a girl who travel together through a world that is gradually nearing its end. A mysterious illness has emerged that erases the very existence of everyone who suffers from it. The story does not, however, focus on the tragic aspect of this fairly post-apocalyptic setting, but rather shows the people and events the two travelers come across during their journey.

"Will you leave everything behind and go on a journey with me?"

I wonder how many people could answer such a question right away.

But whatever their number might be, I could.

The scene that day is still indelibly engraved in my memory like a photograph.

"Will you leave everything behind and go on a journey with me?"

My answer was "Yes".

Personal Opinion:
Tabi ni Deyou is a one-shot novel that I found while looking through the works that EusthEnoptEron had translated. I decided to read it as the synopsis reminds me a lot of Naricissu and a little of Kino no Tabi, and what a gem did I stumbled upon. As the synopsis stated, the novel focuses on the journey of our two main characters as they go on their journey "to the end of the world". Although the author doesn't necessarily have amazing writing skills, I really liked the way he presented the story of their adventure and the unique premise along with it. The "vanishing", as they call it, takes an interesting twist to your usual apocalypse. How would you spend today if you knew you would die tomorrow? Furthermore, what would you do if you could leave nothing behind after dying? 

Reviews:
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/58509/Tabi_ni_Deyou_Horobiyuku_Sekai_no_Hate_made

• "Fushigi" Toriatsukaimasu: Tsukumodou Kottouten (Tsukumodo Antique Shop - We Handle "Mysteriosities")

107795l.jpg

Information:
Authors: Odou Akihiko (Story), Takeshima Satoshi (Art)
Genres: Mystery, Fantasy

Synopsis:

In our world there are objects that go by the name of "Relics". Not antiques or items of classical art, but mysterious things like a stone that brings luck, a doll whose hair grows night after night, or a mirror that shows your future appearance.

The world is big and so there happens to be a shop that offers such suspicious items — the Tsukumodo Antique Shop (FAKE). But as the name suggests, only fakes can be found there. To make matters worse, the shop assistant is a girl whose attendance couldn't be blunter, so the store hardly has any customers at all. However, from time to time a real Relic appears and makes things interesting.

Very well, now let us talk about those who have obtained one of these mysterious items.

Reviews:
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/62841/Fushigi_Toriatsukaimasu__Tsukumodou_Kottouten

• Zaregoto Series

157901.jpg

Information:
Status: 9 volumes released, 5 volumes fan translated, 2 volumes officially translated
Authors:  Nisio Isin (Story), Take (Art)
Genres: Action, Mystery, Drama, Supernatural

Synopsis:

It’s the vacation of a lifetime, a trip to a remote island filled with geniuses–and murder. 

On Wet Crow’s Feather Island, a tiny speck in the Sea of Japan, lives Akagami Iria, the exiled daughter of a powerful family. Born into great wealth, she was a princess of the highest pedigree–until she was cut off by the leader of the Akagami Foundation. For the last five years, she’s lived on Feather Island with her maids. But she hasn’t been alone. She has invited the best minds Japan has to offer to come and stay with her.

And so nineteen-year-old college student Ii-chan and his best friend, computer genius Kunagisa Tomo, find themselves as Iria’s guests at her elaborate mansion. Surrounded by fascinating women–a chef, a fortune-teller, a scholar, and an artist, not to mention his own friend Tomo–Ii-chan is feeling a little overmatched intellectually. But the sudden discovery of a grisly murder sends the island into shock. And Ii-chan discovers that he does possess a bit of genius: the ability to discover what is real and what is fake... who is who they claim to be–and who is a killer.

Reviews:
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/9726/Zaregoto_Series

• Kieli

Kieli

Information:
Volumes: 9
Status: 9 volumes released, 9 volumes officially translated
Authors: Kabei Yukako (Story), Taue Shunsuke (Art)
Genres:  Adventure, Mystery, Fantasy, Supernatural

Synopsis:

Kieli is a reclusive girl isolated by her ability to see ghosts.

Her only friend is her "roommate," Becca, the precocious spirit of a former student still residing in Kieli's dorm. Everything in Kieli's life changes suddenly when the girls meet the handsome but distant Harvey who, like Kieli, can see ghosts. He also turns out to be one of the legendary Undying, an immortal soldier bred for war now being hunted by the Church.

When Kieli joins Harvey on a pilgrimage to lay to rest the spirit of a corporal possessing an old radio, as unlikely as it seems, she feels she may have finally found a place where she belongs in the world.

And in Kieli, Harvey may have found a reason to live again.

Reviews:
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/13238/Kieli

• Bungaku Shoujo (Book Girl)

BOOKGIRL_1.jpg

Information:
Volumes: 8
Status: 8 volumes released, 8 volumes officially translated
Authors: Nomura Mizuki (Story), Takeoka Miho (Art)
Genres:  Mystery, Drama, Romance

Synopsis:

For Tohko Amano, a third-year high school student and self-styled "book girl," being the head of the literary club is more than just an extracurricular activity. It's her bread and butter...literally!

Tohko is actually a literature-gobbling demon, who can be found at all hours of the day munching on torn out pages from all kinds of books. But for Tohko, the real delicacies are hand-written stories. To satisfy her gourmet tastes, she's employed (rather, browbeaten) one Konoha Inoue, who scribbles away each day after school to satisfy Tohko's appetite.

But when another student comes knocking on the literary club door for advice on writing love letters, will Tohko discover a new kind of delicacy?

Reviews:
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/10000/Bungaku_Shoujo_Series

That will be all for now. If anyone of you are interested in reading the novels, most of them are all up on BakaTsuki. For android users BakaTsuki even has an app, BakaReader EX, which allows you to download novels and read on the go! If I manage to come across more light novels that I feel is worth mentioning in the future, I'll update and include them in this post. Also, feel free to share your opinions on the novels or even some of your own recommendations!

Utsuko: Still waiting for Vol.7... When o when will it come out... I want to know how Everything ties up

Hikaru: For Some reason ppl like it... and I think it's 4 vols that are Tl'ed? (Haven't read it though)
Iris : Nope not a clue
Gekkou : Same as Iris

The gate thus the JSDF fought there.

Unfortunatly it is not translated however the manga is being translated and is quite good definitly above avarage.

This is definitly one of my favorites.

Finally a realistic outcome of fantasy vs science

http://ak-scans.wikia.com/wiki/Gate_-_Thus_the_JSDF_fought_there

http://myanimelist.net/manga/67879/Gate:_Jieitai_Kanochi_nite_Kaku_Tatakeri

psycho love comedy  (psycome) : great lightnovel series its still young with only the first three translated so far also no anime or game or manga based off it so relatively unknown. but its full of yandere and yangiri .

250px-PsyCome_V1_Cover.jpg

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Psycho_Love_Comedy

sekaimo : my darkness sister

great korean light novel about a highschool student obsessed with the criminal leader of the most war like country in the world. then he finds out shes his cute lil sister. hilarity ensues. 

180px-Sekaimo_v1_cover.jpg

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Sekai_Ichi_no_Imouto-sama

• 1 month later...

How far are you into Mushoku Tensei? I was planning on reading this series. However, after hearing the opinions of those who have read it, I'm not sure if I should read it. From what I've heard, the LN had a great start and showed potential, but fell flat on its face after volume 2. Apparently the writing became horrible, the story was bland, perverted and uncomfortable moments, Gary Stu protagonist, etc. What are your thoughts on it?

How far are you into Mushoku Tensei? I was planning on reading this series. However, after hearing the opinions of those who have read it, I'm not sure if I should read it. From what I've heard, the LN had a great start and showed potential, but fell flat on its face after volume 2. Apparently the writing became horrible, the story was bland, perverted and uncomfortable moments, Gary Stu protagonist, etc. What are your thoughts on it?

There were some very stupid moments after Vol 2 but overall I still enjoyed it and learned to block out some of the really stupid stuff. As for the writing, well it's obvious that the either the author is still very much an amateur or the translators just suck. But it gets better writing wise as the novel goes along. Don't come in with your expectations too high and learn to ignore some of the dumb stuff and you'll have a good time.

It's not perfect but its a fun ride.

There were some very stupid moments after Vol 2 but overall I still enjoyed it and learned to block out some of the really stupid stuff. As for the writing, well it's obvious that the either the author is still very much an amateur or the translators just suck. But it gets better writing wise as the novel goes along. Don't come in with your expectations too high and learn to ignore some of the dumb stuff and you'll have a good time.

It's not perfect but its a fun ride.

Alright, I guess I shall add it to my backlog. I'm a big fan of Fantasy 'Sword and Sorcery' stuff, so it's a relieve to hear that it doesn't suck as much as people say. I can only hope that it won't disappoint. Thanks for the reply.

psycho love comedy  (psycome) : great lightnovel series its still young with only the first three translated so far also no anime or game or manga based off it so relatively unknown. but its full of yandere and yangiri .

250px-PsyCome_V1_Cover.jpg

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Psycho_Love_Comedy

I second this. Read this recently and its amazing and funny as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read any LNs up till now as all that I checked out and that seemed interesting to me newer seem to be fully translated, that said if last 2 volumes of Chrome Shelled Regios get translated I am definitely going to read that one as I loved the anime.

19196l.jpg

There are currently 23/25 volumes translated on baka-tsuki.

I like purchasing light novels rather than reading them online. For whatever reason, I can't seem to sit still and read online .....

I have Spice & Wolf all the official volumes from the west. I read up to volume 9. Going to start on 10 when I feel that spike coming. I also have Sword Art Online, both volumes officially at hand. Haven't read them yet. I'd like to see stuff like The Hentai Prince to be released official as a light novel. It was adapted to an anime recently.

• 1 month later...

I haven't read any LNs up till now as all that I checked out and that seemed interesting to me newer seem to be fully translated, that said if last 2 volumes of Chrome Shelled Regios get translated I am definitely going to read that one as I loved the anime.

19196l.jpg

There are currently 23/25 volumes translated on baka-tsuki.

You sir got my like

Tokyo Ravens

Tokyo_Ravens_light_novel_vol_1.png

In some event known as the "Great Disaster," Japan has been thrown into chaos by onmyouji (a kind of magician). Harutora Tsuchimikado was born into an onmyouji family, but he has no power whatsoever. He lived normally as a regular boy, but his estranged childhood friend Natsume Tsuchimikado suddenly appears to him one day. When they were younger, he made a promise long ago to become her shikigami (familiar), and she is back to make him fulfill that promise! A battle between onmyouji is about to begin...

MAL:http://myanimelist.net/manga/23898/Tokyo_Ravens

Baka-tsuki:http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Tokyo_Ravens

Ive read them all and watched the anime really really really really good series that did not get enough exposure last fall

Just finished Zeroth Maria and just sitting in the corner weeping, "volume 7.... volume 7.... volume 7...."

I feel you man, but worry not. Eiji Mikage (the author) has said that after writing 2nd volume of "Bokura wa Mahou Shoujo no Naka" (which is already out), he will start working on volume 7. And besides, the awesome translator of the LN (EusthEnoptEron) said that he is already 40% done with it. So we can expect volume 7 to be out in 2015  :D

EDIT:

Here's the actual tweet from Eiji himself.

Edited by Tenkuru

I feel you man, but worry not. Eiji Mikage (the author) has said that after writing 2nd volume of "Bokura wa Mahou Shoujo no Naka" (which is already out), he will start working on volume 7. And besides, the awesome translator of the LN (EusthEnoptEron) said that he is already 40% done with it. So we can expect volume 7 to be out in 2015  :D

EDIT:

Here's the actual tweet from Eiji himself.

Seriously?! Thanks for the news! Maria Maria Maria Maria! ....I loved the series a lot. The character development is pretty stellar, and I loved looking at the end of the sixth volume and going "this is a completely different person than the one in the first novel" yeahhhhh. I re-read the entire thing in April (my first read being years ago....), but I'll read it again when the 7th novel comes out. Everything's coming to a head!