Visual novels that are not very Japanese

InvertMouse

For those saying there isn't a market for EOVLNs because of japanese VNs, keep in mind that the majority of people can't read japanese.

What people meant by this statement is, if you choose to 'travel down the same path' the Japanese Industry usually head down, you have to remember there's many translated Japanese VNs available for 'free' in english. And because these VNs have far higher production values, they will be very hard to compete with and there may not be a market.

There's one exception to the above rule and that is otome games. Japan do otomes better but there's very few translated otomes available, something which the English Industry has been able to capitalise on. Infact, I believe the English industry is dominated by otomes, filling an obvious gap.

To be honest... I'm really, really interested in people making completely western-style VNs, with no Japanese influence whatsoever.

Ditto :3

Zero Escape was "western" in my opinion. Yes, you had Zero III and quirky plot and storyline, but it appears to have been far more appealing to Western fans, and its art styles are obviously not like any other VN.

Edit: I love your works! I think that as long as it is appealing and beautiful, the JP feel does not matter too much- it is just that it's easy to make gorgeous sprites with anime-like art style.  :P

Thank you heaps :)! Much appreciated~

Rooke, the point you made about otome games is excellent, I think. You gave me something to think about :).

I wished I have the time (and skills and money) to make a VN without extensive knowledge of Japanese history and culture. The one I can think of is to make something completely fictional : magical worlds, fantasy, modern SF or those settings you see in classic RPGs that has nothing or little to do with Japan, this way there will be less worry, nevertheless creativity is needed as you have to think of everything from square one. 

Some examples where the game barely touch traditional Japanese culture: 
1) Baldr Sky / Zero 
2) Liar-Soft's Steampunk series

Pretty much anything involved fictional SF, fantasy will work, while on the other hand avoid things like histories, society, culture, and myth will be sufficient enough.

You could say that people don't like what they don't know. Visual novels originated in Japan and the visual novels people usually play are Japanese so therefore, they obviously feel uncomfortable. However, if you somehow make them seem appealing, people may be willing to try out the unknown.