Where in the world is Hibarigasaki?

K450

So, here I am, trying to figure where this mythical town called Hibarigasaki might be. Most likely, the writers didn't even care where it was, and maybe it was modeled it after one or several real places (e.g. Higurashi's sanctification of Shirakawa-go). Or, failing that, an utopia.

However, if there are any bits and pieces of information that might give several likely places along Japan's coastlines and many islands, please do share. I need more than one set of eyes to scan every line of this VN series that I have enjoyed more and more these past months.

I have no idea what city/cities it's modeled after, but it's obviously near the coastline and is far enough away from major metropolitan areas that they can see the night sky without interference from smog.

I just thought it was 100% made up, since they never referenced any neighboring towns/cities or major landmarks.  Sorry I can't help too much, but I can at least give you a bump.

It's a real place in Japan, Steve found pictures of it. If you ask him, he probably remembers where it is.

Hmm, don't know how to 'read' this, but I assume it's in jest, going by the search results on all search engines for the town. Either way, I plan to locate and document this town with a level of detail bypassing any means of severing.

Or, maybe not. I haven't been here long enough to know you or others long enough, so please correct me in any case.

Oh I do indeed have it, the town that Hibarigasaki got inspired from is called 小樽 - Otaru
Its few km from Sapporo in Hokkaido.

I did find the places on google street view, just like I did with the Iroseka background recently but about a year ago when I checked again, they updated the street view and lot has changed there.

Anyways here are some pictures:
EvOBrcy.jpg
xuZ6tBN.jpg

more actual version of street view is from winter: http://goo.gl/maps/FsFsa
The signature fence was removed for some reason (you can still see the filled holes in the ground)

This is the lookout: http://goo.gl/36MfPe
wnqgCYm.jpg
cpOQeSn.jpg
rWZut2k.jpg
NYwxZrK.jpg

then for example the canals

mFI7aZH.jpg

2usrb6t.jpg

those are not accessible by google street view car so there are only pictures that people took

But yeah, with Hoshimemo theypretty much used one town, where as with iroseka they used places all over that part of Japan :)

I actually can't wait to look up where the places from AstralAir are based from, because they are so beautiful. But I need to finish that game first :)

I took screenshot of one of the backgrounds from prologue:

gjI55cO.png

The fact that you found this is almost creepy. Please, don't go searching for my house. I'd be dismayed if I found a bomb sitting on my front porch. >_>

Nonetheless, awesome job. Kind of... Almost places you directly in the VN. I think, it'd be eerie actually going to that town and... Walking around, I guess. It'd bring back memories of the VN. Is there an academy there by chance as well?

I like how you can actually visit these places irl, if you really liked a story it must be awesome to walk around. When I'm going to Japan I must visit Shirakawa-go (hinamizawa) and kyu-furukawa gardens (rokkenjima)

753px-Kyu-Furukawa_Tei_House.jpg

Too bad you can't actually enter the mansion though ;;

It is an interesting feeling indeed. When I was visiting Kamakura, I felt like I was in Muramasa, which was both awesome and scary at the same time. I definitely wouldn't want to be in a story like that. :D

And wow, that Rokkenjima! I would pay crazy money to get into that mansion, looks so good...  :o

@Nayleen: That "hey wait a minute..." moment you must've had when reading Ef haha

It is an interesting feeling indeed. When I was visiting Kamakura, I felt like I was in Muramasa, which was both awesome and scary at the same time. I definitely wouldn't want to be in a story like that. :D

And wow, that Rokkenjima! I would pay crazy money to get into that mansion, looks so good...  :o

I'd also pay but you can only walk through the garden, because its a monument thingy now you can't enter ;; not sure if it has been like that for a long time, iirc it used to be allowed to enter...

Just like Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two had places taken from Heidelberg in Germany - a small(ish) town just 20 minutes from my home city. In fact I've been to them even before reading the VN.

Was creepy finding out that the feeling of knowing those places actually wasn't misplaced.

lV1fmlu.jpg

lmuRtJ9.jpg

Vg9mz99.jpg

qMvgBIM.jpg

vz8PCbH.jpg

0IDuoWV.jpg

WdTANNm.jpg

PKcfdN0.jpg

raaKYwo.jpg

2Sjyef7.jpg

That was just plain creepy for me...