VN with older main characters

Undying

In Kara no Shoujo, the MC is something like 30 years old, it's very refreshing to have that kind of perspective. Plus the game is pretty damn good.

In Saya no Uta he's a college student, which is still better than the usual high-schooler.

There are some VNs where we see the MC getting older, up till he becomes a father (Clannad After Story).

In Kara no Shoujo, the MC is something like 30 years old, it's very refreshing to have that kind of perspective. Plus the game is pretty damn good.

In Saya no Uta he's a college student, which is still better than the usual high-schooler.

There are some VNs where we see the MC getting older, up till he becomes a father (Clannad After Story).

Alredy played those and is mostly because of them that Im searching for more, cant wait to plau kara no shoujo 2, Clannad I played a few routes but I droped, not because it eas bad but because I thought the anime adaptation was very competent, and the Vn looked a little boring in comparison. 

I'm not convinced this qualifies as what you are looking for, but Deardrops has a protagonist that is out of school and has professional, worldly experience. 

Nothing else was coming to mind, so I took the liberty of doing this VNDB search for you for English VNs with the tag of Adult Protagonist.

thanks i completely forgot about the tag search of vndb.

I approve of this thread.

I was thinking about this last night as I was reading a manga who's protagonist looked over 40, who's best friend was balding and both whom were overweight. Well, I'm neither of those yet. But someday a VN like this might relate to us all. 

http://www.goodmanga.net/wallman/chapter/1

Tiger and bunny is a good example of what Im looking for, loved the older main character and the fact that he is a single father, space brothers is also amazing, its those kind of scenarios im looking in a VN now. 

Vermilion Bind of Blood (protagonist was in his late twenties when he became a vampire, lol)

Reminiscence

Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no (mid-twenties)

Eden* (early thirties)

Gensou no Avatar (mid-twenties)

Soukou Akki Muramasa (mid-thirties,

has a daughter

)

Bullet Butlers (late twenties)

Gekkou no Carnevale (mid-thirties)

Gleam Garden no Shoujo (mid-twenties)

Hotel. (around thirty)

Para-Sol (late thirties)

Trouble@Vampire (mid-twenties)

Tsukiakari Lunch (mid-twenties)

Gothic Delusion (late  twenties)

Vermilion Bind of Blood (protagonist was in his late twenties when he became a vampire, lol)

Reminiscence

Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no (mid-twenties)

Eden* (early thirties)

Gensou no Avatar (mid-twenties)

Soukou Akki Muramasa (mid-thirties,

has a daughter

)

Bullet Butlers (late twenties)

Gekkou no Carnevale (mid-thirties)

Gleam Garden no Shoujo (mid-twenties)

Hotel. (around thirty)

Para-Sol (late thirties)

Trouble@Vampire (mid-twenties)

Tsukiakari Lunch (mid-twenties)

Gothic Delusion (late  twenties)

thx, but wich ones are translated? 

lol... none.  Older protags are rare in VNs in the first place (except certain types of rapegame and nukige), and translated ones are even rarer.

damned be my lack of liguistic skill, most I can manage is english since my main language is portuguese. If japanese didn't look so complicated I would've tried to learn alredy. 

thx guys but Ive alredy played swan song and zero series they were awesome by the way.

lol... none. Older protags are rare in VNs in the first place (except certain types of rapegame and nukige), and translated ones are even rarer.

it alredy passed my mind to trey and learn japanes, I dont think it would be that hard to get Hiragana and Katakana if I really studied, the problem is the Kanji that seems way more complicated than the other two.

Maybe you should have listed all of the VNs with adult protagonists that you have actually read. 

A noteworthy one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Zanmataisei Demonbane, an early nitro+ mecha VN with minor cthulhu themes starring a washed up private detective in his '20s. It's... decent. I won't go much further than that. It's got some good comedy, I thought. Apparently everyone says the ps2 version was a lot better, but we're never going to see that in english.

edit: There's also Sekien no Inganock, that's actually a really good one.

True Remembrance (en) - Not sure how old he was but he acts really mature

Rose Guns Days (en) - MC is atleast mid twenties, I think most of the characters are early and mid twenties actually, don't undersestimate this novel btw, its pretty good, it has 4 parts and 2 are fully translated atm.

Sekien no Inganock (en) - Its nice, I can really recommend this

Remember 11 (en) - One protag is early twenties but the other is mid twenties (3rd year major and graduated person)

Kikokugai - (en) Protag seems mid twenties or he just seems older than he is, does that work too?

Gekkou no Carnevale (jp) - I'm reading this atm, its pretty good so far. Protag ~mid twenties I'm guessing

Also, if you want to learn JP just for reading VNs, the road to actually reading them is shorter than you think ^_^  The only things you need to learn before starting the practise (read a JP VN) are grammar, and preferably hiragana and katakana. After this you need to build up experience and reading speed by just reading, you'll start recognizing words with kanji on the way and can always study them next to reading. This is how I did it and probably also how a lot of other people started reading them, give it a try!

Maybe you should have listed all of the VNs with adult protagonists that you have actually read. 

A noteworthy one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Zanmataisei Demonbane, an early nitro+ mecha VN with minor cthulhu themes starring a washed up private detective in his '20s. It's... decent. I won't go much further than that. It's got some good comedy, I thought. Apparently everyone says the ps2 version was a lot better, but we're never going to see that in english.

edit: There's also Sekien no Inganock, that's actually a really good one.

Hmm lets see, Ive played the following:

Demonbane

Kara no shoujo

Saya no uta

Zero escape Virtue last reward

Phoenix Wright series

Swan song

those are some I can remember right now may have forgoten a few.

True Remembrance (en) - Not sure how old he was but he acts really mature

Rose Guns Days (en) - MC is atleast mid twenties, I think most of the characters are early and mid twenties actually, don't undersestimate this novel btw, its pretty good, it has 4 parts and 2 are fully translated atm.

Sekien no Inganock (en) - Its nice, I can really recommend this

Remember 11 (en) - One protag is early twenties but the other is mid twenties (3rd year major and graduated person)

Kikokugai - (en) Protag seems mid twenties or he just seems older than he is, does that work too?

Gekkou no Carnevale (jp) - I'm reading this atm, its pretty good so far. Protag ~mid twenties I'm guessing

Also, if you want to learn JP just for reading VNs, the road to actually reading them is shorter than you think ^_^  The only things you need to learn before starting the practise (read a JP VN) are grammar, and preferably hiragana and katakana. After this you need to build up experience and reading speed by just reading, you'll start recognizing words with kanji on the way and can always study them next to reading. This is how I did it and probably also how a lot of other people started reading them, give it a try!

Thx never played those, gonna put in my list, also some friends recomended me I/O, is it good?

edit: Im also planning to play Snatcher and Policenauts.

I/O is one of my favorite VNs, if you love hard scifi it's a really good read. If you don't like the mindscrew kind of type of story where you have to keep thinking, and just want to sit back and read a nice story, it's not for you. But based on your list there it seems you pick dark themed mystery stuff, I don't know whether you liked them or not but I guess I/O would fit in. 

I/O is one of my favorite VNs, if you love hard scifi it's a really good read. If you don't like the mindscrew kind of type of story where you have to keep thinking, and just want to sit back and read a nice story, it's not for you. But based on your list there it seems you pick dark themed mystery stuff, I don't know whether you liked them or not but I guess I/O would fit in. 

love those kind of stories, since im a fan of the zero escape series my friend recomended IO. 

Amongst the games I play, there is:

Tasogare no Sinsemilla - The protagonist is college-age (he is 20 IIRC) and is not attending school while several other heroines do.

Gleamgarden no Shoujo -Witch in Gleamgarden - The protagonist plays the teacher/mentor role to the 3 main heroines in this game and is probably in the mid-20s, and he is a Badass Normal character you wouldn't normally see in a VN.

Baldr Sky/Baldr Sky Zero - Everyone (including the protagonist) is over 20+, despite looking exactly the same in their school years.

Root Double - One of the two protagonists is 32 years old. The game is all-ages too and is really good, as it is made by the director of Ever17.

Ourai no Gakhthun - Nikola Tesla, self-proclaimed 72 years old. Full-stop.

• 2 weeks later...