Auto mode - do you use it?

Vokoca

Like many other people, I usually use it when my hands are otherwise occupied while I'm reading.

But I have read some with auto-mode before, after tweaking the settings for half an hour.

I truly detest visual novels with a poorly optimized auto read. I don't want to wait 10 seconds after the voice acting is finished.

I truly detest visual novels with a poorly optimized auto read. I don't want to wait 10 seconds after the voice acting is finished.

I have seen some visual novels with the default Auto-read like this, yeah.

I don't understand who they think their target audience is. Even if you don't understand english very well, you shouldn't need 10 seconds after the voice acting to read a sentence. If you do need it, you either made the wrong choice to buy this game, or you shouldn't even be using auto-mode in the first place.

I have seen some visual novels with the default Auto-read like this, yeah.

I don't understand who they think their target audience is. Even if you don't understand english, you shouldn't need 10 seconds after the voice acting to read a sentence. If you do need it, you either made the wrong choice to buy this game, or you shouldn't even be using auto-mode in the first place.

There has only been two visual novels where i enjoyed the auto mode, and used/am using actively. Ef, and Hishizora no memoria. Anything else was just...

I can't use it because my reading speed and comprehension varies a lot, if by any chance it happens that I'm constantly spacing out during a day I have to reread the same line several times before my brain processes it correctly, other days I can just read lines and lines of text without as much as a bat of an eye. I'm very inconsistent.

I don't think I've ever used auto-mode before simply because I want to be in control of what I'm reading, and not the other way around. Even if it could work really well in favor of convenience, it's not worth the psychological setbacks that come with it to me. Plus, most of what I read are plot-oriented and are for the purpose of entertaining my thoughts/analyzations, so the text is then always read at unpredictable and varied paces. Auto-mode simply won't benefit at all.

I don't think I've ever used auto-mode before simply because I want to be in control of what I'm reading, and not the other way around. Even if it could work really well in favor of convenience, it's not worth the psychological setbacks that come with it to me. Plus, most of what I read are plot-oriented and are for the purpose of entertaining my thoughts/analyzations, so the text is then always read at unpredictable and varied paces. Auto-mode simply won't benefit at all.

Just as I posted before I totally agree with this, unless for laziness' sake, auto mode doesn't really have a place..

I use it when I want to or when I'm eating. I like auto-mode with scroll-down functionality so that way when I scroll-down it advances through the story rather than canceling the auto-mode. I also prefer to "click" my mouse or hit "enter" on my keyboard without canceling auto-mode but not many VNs support that.

Do you guys ever use USB controllers to read VNs? I never use auto since my reading speed depends on my mood, so I'd have to adjust it almost all the time. And using a keyboard or mouse can make it to where you can't completely relax your arms. But with a controller, you can have it set comfortably on your lap and progress the text with that. Unfortunately, however, VN developers put about as much effort into controller configuration as they do auto mode, so I have to switch to mouse and keyboard for menus. I know there are games like Grisaia and Ever17 that natively support controller use, but you can also use programs like Xpadder for the ones that don't.

Unfortunately, however, VN developers put about as much effort into controller configuration as they do auto mode, so I have to switch to mouse and keyboard for menus.

I can imagine why :P. I doubt it would be worth however many minutes it takes for the developer to configure things on a controller, considering how few people like you there surely are. If you use controllers because you can set them comfortably on your lap, can't you do the same for keyboards?

Do you guys ever use USB controllers to read VNs? I never use auto since my reading speed depends on my mood, so I'd have to adjust it almost all the time. And using a keyboard or mouse can make it to where you can't completely relax your arms. But with a controller, you can have it set comfortably on your lap and progress the text with that. Unfortunately, however, VN developers put about as much effort into controller configuration as they do auto mode, so I have to switch to mouse and keyboard for menus. I know there are games like Grisaia and Ever17 that natively support controller use, but you can also use programs like Xpadder for the ones that don't.

I have used a controller one time, and never thought about using one again (just didn't cross my mind)

I can imagine why :P. I doubt it would be worth however many minutes it takes for the developer to configure things on a controller, considering how few people like you there surely are. If you use controllers because you can set them comfortably on your lap, can't you do the same for keyboards?

My keyboard has too short a cord to reach into my lap, so I wouldn't be able to do that.

I could if I wanted to, but the keyboard's not as comfortable due to the large size. The controller is much smaller, so it sits more nicely. And the menus deal isn't really that big of issue for me since I usually don't use them for anything other than saving and loading. I don't mind the occasional switch to mouse + keyboard for that.