Some opening remarks

zoom909

Hi.

I'm an anime fan who also likes visual novels. Currently I am translating (slowly) Mirai no Uta to Tsunagaru Hitomi. The other 2 in the series are on fuwanovel already, I noticed. It's sad that my free time is so limited for translating. But I can't give up my job, I need it. (And I'm not going to give up watching anime).

I got interested in VNs because I like bishoujo anime. Like Kanon, Da Capo, Air, Shuffle, Canvas2, Brighter than Dawning Blue, Lamune, etc. etc were all anime which I really liked. In the same way that if you see a movie and you find out it's based on a novel, or you see an anime and then decide to check out the manga, you know? So that was how I got started.

At the time, you could not get these well-known games in English. You had to settle for what they did have.

So, I started to learn to read Japanese. I'm an American who has never lived in Japan, by the way.

Still, it wasn't too bad because foreign languages just fascinate me for some reason. If I didn't like that "secret code" feeling of reading Japanese, I probably would've given up long ago...

Now there was that annoying period where I learned about the language, but I still couldn't read anything real in it.

Luckily, I discovered what I really needed to learn. And then it was really a matter of reading. I switched all my manga reading to Japanese. After a while, I switched all my visual novel playing to Japanese, too.

Looking forward to talking with you some...

Hey that's like me, for me I so wanted to play these games that was almost completely unavailable in my language that I went to learn it (a lot of time was research on the net on how to do it fast).

Btw zoom909 translated the two Hatsune Miku games, (https://fuwanovel.net/novels/117 and https://fuwanovel.net/novels/118 ), <--- they were in a list of games that i was supposed to get around to uploading but.... *ahem* I took my sweet time >.<

Probably less than 1% of all VNs made in Japan have been translated... hopefully can bump that ratio up a bit :3

thx for the intro

Thanks for the welcome messages.

Less than 1%, huh? That's not so good. But, there had to have been a point, a long time ago, that there was only 1% of anime translated too...

Personally, I would like it if there were more console titles translated... Well, another reason to learn Japanese, I guess, but even for me it's significantly slower because there's no AGTH to zap to a dictionary with.

Hi.

I'm an anime fan who also likes visual novels. Currently I am translating (slowly) Mirai no Uta to Tsunagaru Hitomi. The other 2 in the series are on fuwanovel already, I noticed. It's sad that my free time is so limited for translating. But I can't give up my job, I need it. (And I'm not going to give up watching anime).

I got interested in VNs because I like bishoujo anime. Like Kanon, Da Capo, Air, Shuffle, Canvas2, Brighter than Dawning Blue, Lamune, etc. etc were all anime which I really liked. In the same way that if you see a movie and you find out it's based on a novel, or you see an anime and then decide to check out the manga, you know? So that was how I got started.

At the time, you could not get these well-known games in English. You had to settle for what they did have.

So, I started to learn to read Japanese. I'm an American who has never lived in Japan, by the way.

Still, it wasn't too bad because foreign languages just fascinate me for some reason. If I didn't like that "secret code" feeling of reading Japanese, I probably would've given up long ago...

Now there was that annoying period where I learned about the language, but I still couldn't read anything real in it.

Luckily, I discovered what I really needed to learn. And then it was really a matter of reading. I switched all my manga reading to Japanese. After a while, I switched all my visual novel playing to Japanese, too.

Looking forward to talking with you some...

Hello there zoom xD

I just got done with my introduction yesterday, but I'm already old and experienced enough to welcome a new member B)/>

Allow me to relish in the feeling of being someones senior for a moment...

... Okay, done.

Hey, at least you are translating! I can't blame anyone working on translation as a side project for going at it slowly, especially people who have to juggle a lot of things. I should know, I suck at juggling. Wait, that wasn't relevant at all, was it...?

All good anime adaptations, I didn't know Canvas 2 had an anime though o.o

If anything, I'll have to call you my idol in one respect- Learning Japanese.

I say this because I am horribly lazy with this stuff, and usually can't be bothered to continue in any of my attempts to strap down and actually learn something! xD

Kudos to you, sir'

Talking about 'secret codes' reminds me of when I was younger... My friends and I built an entire language up from the ground, and used it to talk to each other in secret! Cool stuff. If only we learned an actually useful language instead of creating one D:

Cutting English cold turkey on your media is impressive, I might give it a shot... I could probably understand at least 10% of what is going on at face value, and about 60% using context'

Also, don't be shy. You can talk to me LOTS, not just some *Thumbs Up*

Just don't expect any reasonably timed responses ;)/>

Oh, and welcome to Fuwanovel B)/>

I'm yet another of this who ended up evening Japanese so I could read untranslated manga, play games, etc. XD I love the 'secret code' feeling too, even if sometimes I get frustrated and feel like it's a code i'll never truly crack ^^; anyway, welcome to the forums!

I've read through some of your translation for Mirai no Kimi to & I must say, you did an excellent job.

Thanks, I really am glad to hear you say that. It means hopefully I'm on the right track quality-wise. (Now, if I could just find a way to increase my output a little...)

I'm yet another of this who ended up evening Japanese so I could read untranslated manga, play games, etc. XD I love the 'secret code' feeling too, even if sometimes I get frustrated and feel like it's a code i'll never truly crack ^^; anyway, welcome to the forums!

Yeah, it IS a code I'll never truly crack. Thank goodness for electronic dictionaries..

Okay, so before I get around to welcoming you to the Fuwanovel forums, I have to thank you -- really thank you -- for two things.

Firstly, I have studied both Russian and Japanese (fluent in Russian, Kanji-stage in Japanese) and have ALWAYS tried to put a certain feeling into words about learning/speaking/reading foreign languages. For the first time in my life, it has been expressed for me. Bless you.

If I didn't like that "secret code" feeling of reading Japanese, I probably would've given up long ago...

Secondly, thank you for your amazing work! I'm playing your games right now, and I really appreciate the way you are able to come out with a natural-sounding English product. Excellent work.

With that out of the way, welcome! Really, really glad to have you!

Firstly, I have studied both Russian and Japanese (fluent in Russian, Kanji-stage in Japanese)

I see, I studied German first. Yeah, I sure wouldn't have wanted my 1st ever foreign language to be Japanese...I would've given up for sure.

By the way, what's "Kanji-stage"? I can't tell, because for me that covers practically the whole time--I started learning some kanji shortly after I learned kana at the beginning, and I'm still learning kanji right now... :-)

I see, I studied German first. Yeah, I sure wouldn't have wanted my 1st ever foreign language to be Japanese...I would've given up for sure.

By the way, what's "Kanji-stage"? I can't tell, because for me that covers practically the whole time--I started learning some kanji shortly after I learned kana at the beginning, and I'm still learning kanji right now... :-)

Ah, right, that's really true. I'm in the middle of Hesig's Remember the Kanji (book 1). Have a little over 700 left. After that, I'll move on to grammar (Tae Kim's book). I've got the kana down, so I'm just waiting to finish grinding out my 2200 joyo+other kanji : )