Hatoful Boyfriend

-Otaku no Ouji-

Has anyone played this VN? I saw it is gonna be available on Steam starting from August 21st, and I was thinking about purchasing it. But does it have any sense for a straight male to play an otome and reverse harem visual novel? I mean, being a straight male I would not feel anything of what one is supposed to feel when playing a dat sim towards any of the characters, yet the art looks so enjoyable and cute, it is just so appealing. Plus it seems to have some generic comedy\slife of lice features, which can be enjoyed by players of any gender.  But does the fact that this visual novel's core is an otome, which makes it mainly targeted to girls, make it senseless for me to play it?

I don't mean this in an antagonistic way, but doesn't it seem sort of absurd to be concerned about it being an otome game when it's a game where you date pigeons? I would think that in particular would take precedence for how well you can get into it.

I would have played this were it not yaoi, the bird part I can kind of get over, and thats just barely, but yaoi isn't my thing. No offense to anyone who likes it

Yaoi? Do you not play the role of a girl in the game?

I don't mean this in an antagonistic way, but doesn't it seem sort of absurd to be concerned about it being an otome game when it's a game where you date pigeons? I would think that in particular would take precedence for how well you can get into it.

It's male pigeons, not just pigeons lol if they were to be female pigeons then I'm sure I would be able to grow some kind of emotional attachment towards some of the characters (not sexual attraction, that's for sure), but since they're male pigeons... The most I could feel would be a friendly-ish kind of attachment, which is not really the point of the game

You're contradicting yourself.

I would have played this were it not yaoi, the bird part I can kind of get over, and thats just barely, but yaoi isn't my thing. No offense to anyone who likes it

Ah my mistake, someone told me it was yaoi. Guess that makes it otome, still won't play it though. I may like chicken breast but I'm not interested in being one or getting bummed by one

I'm sorry if I disagree with others' interpretations of gender distinction, but the fact that the characters are pigeons sort of negates any fear that it's an otome to me. And even so, it's clearly more focused upon comedy than anything else, so that shouldn't be much of an issue unless you desire emotional attachment to pigeons. As the main post states:

Plus it seems to have some generic comedy\slife of lice features, which can be enjoyed by players of any gender.

Indeed, it's almost like killing two birds with one stone.

hehheheh

I'm sorry if I disagree with others' interpretations of gender distinction, but the fact that the characters are pigeons sort of negates any fear that it's an otome to me. And even so, it's clearly more focused upon comedy than anything else, so that shouldn't be much of an issue unless you desire emotional attachment to pigeons. As the main post states:

Indeed, it's almost like killing two birds with one stone.

hehheheh

Heh, I said it seems to have those features, but I don't really know for sure. Also, I'm pretty sure they would only be marginal features, the main point still remaining the relationship between the player and one of the characters. I'm still not sure whether I could enjoy it or not, but I'll probably buy it anyway since it's not that expensive (only about 9 dollars) and give it a chance.

Anyway, I guess most of you guys think that being it an otome it would hardly be enjoyed by a straight male player?