No more Anime and Manga piracy?

Nosebleed

Theft and piracy are different charges, but they are crimes. There are laws in the United States concerning piracy and you can get arrested. Copyright infringement is a crime and does fall under criminal law with the defendant facing criminal and civil penalties. Just ask the RIAA or MPAA.

There is a warning on each and every movie before the start of the content.  The only thing is that the government rarely prosecutes these cases as it is hard to gather enough evidence to stand up to the burden of proof. There is a reason piracy cases are typically brought forth in civil court: the burden of proof is lower. Just because we rarely see people end up in jail because of piracy does not mean that the authorities can not arrest you on those charges and have a person eventually ending up behind bars.

Theft and piracy are different charges, but they are crimes. There are laws in the United States concerning piracy and you can get arrested. Copyright infringement is a crime and does fall under criminal law with the defendant facing criminal and civil penalties. Just ask the RIAA or MPAA.

There is a warning on each and every movie before the start of the content.  The only thing is that the government rarely prosecutes these cases as it is hard to gather enough evidence to stand up to the burden of proof. There is a reason piracy cases are typically brought forth in civil court: the burden of proof is lower. Just because we rarely see people end up in jail because of piracy does not mean that the authorities can not arrest you on those charges and have a person eventually ending up behind bars.

From what I've heard, it's hard to get a pirate in jail unless they sell pirated copies to other people.  Then they're utterly boned.

Still, though...fuck.  I've been going to AnimeUltima.tv and Manga Reader for years.  Like I said before, I have to drive 2-3 hours just to be able to buy manga, and most of the anime I'm looking for aren't on legal sites and would cost an ungodly amount of money if I bought physical copies and had them shipped overseas.  I agree that the creators should be compensated for their work, but you shouldn't do something like this unless you can provide a legal alternative people can turn to that won't empty out their bank accounts.  That just pisses people off, and makes them more determined to fight the power and exploit loopholes.

I get that they're not being as aggressive as they could be (since they're not demanding that the sites be shut down), but come on.  Not everyone can legally consume anime and manga where they live.

Not everyone can legally consume anime and manga where they live.

The thing is, the industry is still working under the paradigm that culture is a luxury and not a right. You're not entitled to have access to it no matter where you live and what income you have.

Under this idea it's logical that creators and producers need to enforce copyright infringement and IP laws to get the money they are entitled to receive.

However it's also blatantly obvious that the internet has changed massively our relationship to culture and the way it is consumed and accessed, and copyright laws and (most) industries don't take this into account. Add to that the fact that IP laws no longer serve their originally intended purpose, and you see that both the juridical and economic frameworks of the production of culture are out of phase with the "spirit of the time" (to avoid using german words).

Only a part of the industry is making efforts to adjust itself, other than that we end up with massive illegal consumption that is, and has to be, tolerated.

Honestly, I'm split about the whole thing.  Watching anime and reading manga was really important for me as I grew up, and I sure as hell wouldn't have access to it if I wasn't able to watch and read it online for free (my parents didn't shower me with money, which is how it should be).  I doubt I'd even have the same friends that I do now if I hadn't gotten interested in anime and manga.  Because of that, I do recognize the fact that the people that made those animes and mangas put a lot of hard work into them, and deserve to be paid for their product.  I do feel guilty about getting them for free online, but it's either I illegally consume them, I spend almost twice what it should cost to legally consume it, or I don't consume them at all.  I don't like being taken advantage of, and I do feel that being charged twice the normal cost of something just to legally consume a product is being taken advantage of.  Until the markets are expanded, I doubt it'll change much, aside from digital distribution, which doesn't seem to be off to a good start right now, at least for Japanese entertainment.

I just don't think measures like this should be taken unless the companies that made the products are willing to localize them and sell them in other countries.  Even if I watch or read something online, if it's good enough, I try to buy a physical/digital copy, for both myself, and to support the company that made it.  I don't just illegally consume it and forget it ever existed afterwards.  The logic behind moves like this seems to be flawed.  I get why they think what they think and do what they do, but being on the other side, I can see what they're wrong about.

When you pirate something, the creator does not lose the "asset" in question. However, they lose a potential customer. That is the loss they have.However, if you cannot obtain it legally, you are not a possible customer. You pirate it, and if you actually buy it when it comes out legally, then I'd say it is all right- in this example, piracy actually GAINS the creator a customer. It is also obvious that you are not giving back the creator what they deserve from their asset when you pirate something. 

Saying I am anti-piracy would be hypocritical. I have pirated many non-localized VN's, as well as localized ones like S; G and 999. No need to beat around the bush, those were because I did not want to cash out as much money as I would need to buy them, in short: my own greed.

Otherwise  though, I pirate rarely and usually buy from Steam.

What is with this year specifically to start enforcing all these anti-piracy measures? Last year no one was really vocal about it, now this year even the rubbish Australian government has it's hands in America's pocket trying to stop "movie and tv" downloads. I love the focus on movie and tv not the rest of the shit on the Internet, and only American content. Not really sure if they would even bother with someone downloading the latest Anime, but Game of Thrones will get you locked up with "Bubba".

They missed a site on that list. :rolleyes:

Hey, I´m still a noob in this forum, but since I couldn't find any post about this, I thought about starting it. (Hopefully there's none so I don't look dumb)

So, since weeks ago I've hearing about this new MAG program directed to disable all ilegal anime and manga in the internet. But today (kinda late) I've heard it is indeed true.

They started the shutdowns since August 1st, this year (2014).

This project is lead by 15 of the most important anime-manga companies in Japan. Like TV tokyo, Toei Animation and Tokyo Otaku Mode(or so I've heard).

I've heard also it is mainly in China, but I've also read the same about other countries.

Their main internet page is this one: http://manga-anime-here.com/guardians

I would like to know,

What do you think about it?

Against or with it?

Personally I think is unfair. In my country legal sources of A/M/VN's are pretty short. And the ones selling online are too expensive (because of coin exchange on dollars and euros). Also without a credit card you are pretty much out of options. I'M AGAINST IT.

Cheers, hope your answer.

(If I happen to be wrong or miss something be free to comunicate it)

You were faster. I was going to link to this post but you deleted it. 

Anyway. They aren't shutting down sites. They are requesting sites to remove stuff. Some will obey and others probably don't care. So far only 1 site I visit regularly has limited their uploaded things. Otherwise nothing changed for me at least.

• 2 weeks later...

so iv spent the last hour or so rereading this thread and all linked articles and sites. this lead to me taking a good look at the official anime and manga home site that was posted. this is not what they described. this site does not in anyway make anime and manga more accessible to consumers outside the home territory its produced in. all it does do is gather a bunch of links for individual shows and manga titles for purchase.

what about all the series that are not localized for non Japanese speakers. example there is no English translation of abnormal kei joshi or onii-chan control for manga. and what about anime titles you cant get your hands on due to licensing such as the full gundam or lupin the 3rd series.these are not made any more available through this joke of a online store then they were before. it also does not as they said it would make these things more affordable the prices have not changed from what licensed retailers are already selling them for before this site was created. 

tl;dr: this manga anime here website that is their answer to piracy does not address any of the concerns they said it would and is just a gateway site for retail sites that have been around before all this started. no new content, no solutions to availability.