No more Anime and Manga piracy?

Nosebleed

For this to be effective, assuming that these guys just are just trying to get a bit more money from A/M instead of hugely damage piracy which is simply im-fucking-possible, they need to create platforms that allow legal streaming and/or owning anime and manga at a reasonable price for everybody, everywhere. We're talking about the people that only banned CP recently though, so not much hope on that front... They need to lower piracy? Give people a feasible alternative. To do that, they need infrastructure. Stopping piracy by force won't work, offering anime and manga for a good price legally will pretty much pull over anyone by their own will except those think more than "I can pirate it, so I will." or those that are unable to afford it- and that is the only thing that can effectively lower piracy.

There is a Turkish proverb:

"Sweet words are what gets the snake out of its hole."

The biggest losers here are the "outside north America" fan base. Let's face it, they don't give a shit about us. I would be highly HIGHLY surprised if they actually did anything for us...

I guess you could say...

:Kappa:

Leave your dreams for when you´re sleeping. Stoping piracy on the Internet. It´s like wanting stoping corruption on goverments. You can hope it`s gonna happen but in the end it´s simple hope.

In my opinion if they truly wanted Anime and Manga piracy to stop, they should have done it from the beggining. They would have a better chance that way. To put this in a retarded way, you can`t stop a disease that been there for so long.

Edited by Ivan A.

Will it ever affect the VN sooner or later though?

IF somehow their plan is successful then they might jeopardize the current state for VN aswell.

I'm sensing a gloomy future for the VN community. :(

As the article says, this is regarding anime and manga only.

The VN industry is already so niche the money it'd take to run a campaign like this would probably destroy all their savings.

Don't worry VNs will stay the way they are.

Without getting into the details of whether I think it is likely for them to stop, or even severely cripple piracy (which I don't), I'll take this on hypothetically instead. So hypothetically speaking if they did succeed in getting rid of piracy and uploaded subbed anime for streaming for us western fans, I personally would hate it. My room has really shit internet speed, and I often take my laptop to my living room (where the speed is much better), download what I want to watch fairly quickly, and then I can watch and rewatch whatever I want in high quality without relying on the internet in my room. While I like the idea of supporting the anime industry (which is why I buy the DVDs when I can), I hate streaming as it is a huge inconvenience for me.   

I currently pirate anime because my friend is visually impaired--he can't read the subtitles using typical sized fonts.  Crunchyroll insists on hard subs, which aren't adjustable.  Since we mostly watch anime together, I have to find soft subs so I can adjust the font size for him.  I complained to Crunchyroll about this but they never did anything about it.  So I continue pirating anime.  If they actually provided a product I could use, I wouldn't mind paying the subscription fee. *shrug*

Nowadays piracy isn't even the preferred way of getting anime.  People prefer streams to downloads.  Legal stream sites are typically better and faster to release than illegal stream sites--when they have the shows people want to watch, that is.

It's pretty hard to target torrents and direct downloads because they're decentralized and easy to recreate, but huge centralized streaming sites are easy targets.  My guess is that those will be the focus of enforcement efforts.

I'm much more worried about the manga than the anime. SO much of manga is unlicensed and relies on scanlation websites and the such. While I feel like 'what will happen will happen' in regards to anime, because there are other ways for me to get to many anime, without scanlations, the amount of readable manga for english speakers would drop fantastcally (assuming they also found a way to take down existing scanlation hosting sites).

So much for a false dream I had.

This recall me one of Aeru's thread  Spreading culture increases supporters
One that I would like to highlight following from this statement 

In addition, the operation will launch a new site to guide the fans to a legitimate site offering some 250 titles including the latest ones at a cost of several hundred yen.

If you have 1000 true fans who've paid for the game to be made, then 1 million playing it is as expensive as a “Torrent File

of course whether it is game,anime or manga the fact that only a small percents of people are actually a true supporter while as the rest are pirates.If there's anything the Japanese govt should do is increasing their fan base by viralling their product rather than secluded them.

"Request" 

Keyword.

Western providers are not going to care about this at all. After all, in the eyes of Japanese we're all a bunch of dirty gaijin.

Oh, and also, japanese government is complaining about ghost money. They're not losing shit because very

few people buy the BD releases. 6k sold (an that's only in japan) is considered good sales. No, really.
Every other japanese person watches anime on TV for free.

The Cultural Affairs Agency estimates the loss caused by the Chinese pirate sites last year was amounted to at least 560 billion yen (about US$ 5.5 billion).

Anybody who's familiar with similiar issues knows that that number is ridiculously arbitrary and statistically shortsighted. More likely than not, they simply looked at the number of things pirated, and converted the numbers directly into legal cost, as if everybody who would stop pirating would go and purchase everything they would otherwise pirate. There's also to consider, from the government's perspective, that more money in people's pockets allows them to purchase more essential/productive things; this "lost" money doesn't just disappear.

Anyway, I find it justifiable to act optimistically toward the future here. We've seen other governments try to seize the Internet on multiple occasions, and end up inflicting only annoyances upon the community.

Interesting how this is happening a few days after a similar thing was said about game of thrones. Anyway, I  think this would be incredibly hard to pull off. As people have said before, the anime viewers outside of the US will have the short end of the stick and people will still be able to find other ways to pirate. It may help a little but altogether it feels a little redundant.

It's unlikely they'd be able to do anything serious to these sites without spending a ton of money on enforcement.  The whole reason anti-piracy efforts don't work is because of the sheer cost of enforcing the law.

Well that is true but why would they want to go public about what the plan to do ? If they know that it would be pointless in the long run ?

Why do i think actual japanese govt sucks?

Because not so long ago, they tried to change their constitution, in order for their "self defense army" can also strike other countries (in other mean, the right of japan to declare war to other countries)

USA had tried the same thing a few years back, they did menage to shoot down a few big hoster sites and the only thing that achieved was making torrents more popular again. And those hosters come back eventually too only with servers of countries that are outside of USAs control. Internet is global, none single country can hope to control it. Piracy will exist as long as internet does.

True the second part of this is interesting, as much as I support piracy I also support people supporting companies and products they like, if they can afford it. 

And just because they won't be able to shoot down piracy doesn't mean they won't have incomes. All games that exist can be pirated but game companies still earn alot, same for live action movies/tv series, softwares etc.

And if they do manage to get big incomes, who knows they might start bringing VNs/JRPGs over too.

Because not so long ago, they tried to change their constitution, in order for their "self defense army" can also strike other countries (in other mean, the right of japan to declare war to other countries)

Pretty much all other countries have that right, why wouldn't they have it too.

Self preservation is always a no 1 priority

so all in all[tl; dr;]

piracy wont stop[unless every country bands together and helps each other[like that will ever happen]]

japan is going to try and stop some piracy being done by some sites[that are just gonna come back]

japan is going to host a legal streaming/downloading/etc site for a reasonable price(quality unknown)

other country's that tried to stop pirating failed miserablely.

so all in all[tl; dr;]

piracy wont stop[unless every country bands together and helps each other[like that will ever happen]]

japan is going to try and stop some piracy being done by some sites[that are just gonna come back]

japan is going to host a legal streaming/downloading/etc site for a reasonable price(quality unknown)

And all that will be achieved with tax payers' money.

so all in all[tl; dr;]

japan is going to host a legal streaming/downloading/etc site for an (un)reasonable price(quality unknown)

Here, I corrected a mistake.