No more Anime and Manga piracy?

Nosebleed

Personally, I don't mind supporting anime if I really like the series, but I'll be frank here; I can't stand when corporations and governments try to control the internet. Try to persuade me and I'll listen, try to force me and I won't even consider your argument, in fact even if I may agree with you odds are I'll stand against you just because you pissed me off.\\

Anyways, my view on this is that the internet is like a Hydra. You can attempt to cut off it's head, but you'll just end up causing two more to appear IF you succeed, and should you fail you have the backlash to deal with.

Everyone! start downloading all the animes/mangas/eroges etc

Just kidding, like megaupload when things go down the are going to be anothers, piracy exists since so much time i don't thing is going to end soon, here in mexico you can go in tianguis(is a place with multiple shops and they sell used stuff and used games, install chips for consoles or sell electrodomestic stuff for a lower price(mexican word) and buy like 50 pirated games of xbox,ps3,wii,series,movies and the police will do nothing

there is not current way to remove piracy now(i think)

I'm 16 years old i can't have a debit or credit card and because of that i piracy stuff online, if you come to my house you will se tons of game of xbox and ps3 but if you check my computer tons of piracy games because of that, i can buy game online when they have prepaid cards but is rare here in mexico to have that only ps3 and xbox.

The biggest losers here are the "outside north America" fan base. Let's face it, they don't give a shit about us. I would be highly HIGHLY surprised if they actually did anything for us...

yeah like me , when i got a guest pass in crunchy roll american animer were like 50 and mexicans where like 20(just a example)

The saddest part is that many fansubbers produce a better product than some of the companies that purchase rights.

Netflix: I was browsing the limited anime selection they had. Pretty much every anime they had was subpar video quality, no subtitles during the OP/ED (much less karaoke effects) and the subtitles within the actual episode was that atrocious yellow serif font with the black outlines (Took me back to the 1990's subtitles on VHS).

Amazon: Same issue with the subtitles. There's also putrid video quality. I was taking a look at Clannad and High School of the Dead looked worse than playing some of my PS1 games on the PS3. Other series were actually completely out of order.

Hulu: Larger selections but not that many newer titles

Cruncyroll: Simulatenous broadcasts, some niche titles, but the library could be bigger.

But I'm 27 and can afford the actual purchase. The only thing I may download are unlincensed works or episodes of shows currently airing. Else, I can push harder and faster to be better at Japanese.

I think it is a good thing! Of coarse I don't think they can stop piracy all together but it may help ease it down. I am all for supporting the industry, the way you show companies if you like or dislike something is through your wallet after all.

And what about people who's wallets are to thin to support anything? Should they just stop watching because they can't afford it?

That's why it's best to have both piracy and means to support companies.

How do you feel about this? I feel disappointed that the Japanese Government is going down that route, a route which will bear no fruit in the future when there were other ways to deal with piracy in a more efficient manner. What they're doing now is just wasting money and time.

Do you think they're actually going to achieve less pirating or is this just useless effort? This will be a useless effort, first of all even if one website has to take down their illegal anime or manga content then more websites will upload theirs onto their own. Do the Japanese Government honestly think they'll be able to remove all the illegal anime or manga from every single website on the goddamn internet? Well they're completely mistaken. And my second point, would foreign operators of the pirate sites really give two-shits about another countries' requests?

And any hopes of us getting more anime and manga through legal means? If they can give a service or product better than that of foreign websites (good quality subs and everything, no censorship, no region-locking and it's at good price) then I'll gladly accept it. But I doubt they'll be able to offer something like this considering that a lot of money is going into fighting the symptom, not the cause.

well this is interesting.

But I dont think they will ever stop piracy.

And personally i would not mind paying a montly subsciption fee, but that is only on the condition that i can watch everything on the site and not get a message saying sorry you dont live in america so you can't watch this.

And they find it strange why there is so much piracy?

and if they really want to fight piracy they need to make it easier to get your anime legally.

Look at steam and take that as an example how they need to do it except make it a montly subscibtion instead of paying per title.

I am pretty sure steam really helped combating piracy simply becouse it is so easy to use.

This goes double for holland where you can pay with Ideal

Update

So regarding the measures for this operation:

METI (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry) will start to monitor and remove illegally uploaded copies of around 580 works over five months. With a decrease in piracy in the market and through fair reward for legitimate contents, which leads to the creation of new contents, this project aims to generate a positive growth cycle.

Also a 2014 METI report indicates that the estimated cost of damage from online piracy is as much as 2 trillion JPY (approximately US$ 20 billion).

The site that collects links to legitimate copies of anime/manga was published and it's clear that it's still in construction:

http://manga-anime-here.com/

It seems that they're really going with DMCAs since it's saying they'll remove the content by themselves.

And just from just overseeing that site one thing is clear:

They'll only be offering you links to officially licensed content to both anime and manga. At least that's what it looks like thus far.

So this makes the site.. almost virtually useless aside from giving you a library of links that you could already get somewhere else... yeah.

This means that, if they manage to take down manga scanlation sites, you're pretty much doomed if you want to catch up on manga because you'll be stuck with only licensed content that takes months to come out and might not even be available worldwide and quality is not ensured since there's only one outlet.

And same thing with anime, you're stuck with official subs that may or may not be bad quality but you have no choice in the matter.

But one thing is also becoming clear, it seems that the Japanese are pointing out China as their biggest threat so it could be that they're just going to attack mostly Chinese websites. We still don't know which sites of course.

Again I still doubt this'll achieve anything too big and impact us but just wanted to update the status of this operation.

And same thing with anime, you're stuck with official subs that may or may not be bad quality but you have no choice in the matter.

In the predominant case of English subs, most subs are Crunchyroll rips anyway. Doesn't change much except you actually pay for it (or suck it if CR doesn't exist in your country).

(And CR subs are rarely really bad. Let's face it, official subs are at worst "meh", while fansub sometimes do good but sometimes go full retard too)

Again, manga seems more to be the issue here.

In the predominant case of English subs, most subs are Crunchyroll rips anyway. Doesn't change much except you actually pay for it (or suck it if CR doesn't exist in your country).

Again, manga seems more to be the issue here.

I'm not too concerned about anime either.

But I, just like many others, don't really like the crappy generic font styling from CR' subs and being stuck with just that feels a little oppressive.

And as someone pointed out, streaming HD anime on Crunchy is like watching a snail race if you have low bandwidth. I can just barely stream at 720p with no lag (when my internet is being nice)

Regardless, manga is definintely what i'm most worried about as well.

The operation should start soon since it's almost August 1st in Japan and it'll last for 5 months according to this article.

So I guess all we can do is wait and see how things turn out.

I'm laughing so hard. So hard, it's almost painful.

If you look closer, you can clearly see everything is hosted by Tokyo Otaku Mode; I wouldn't be surprised in case if they are somehow related, more over when they launched their own shop some time ago and began to expand beyond otaku-related news publishing platform they once were.

But the best thing of all is that in overall, Japan's remedy to piracy is yet another copyright association.

Man, I hope it doesn't affect me a lot, as getting anime legally here is really a pain in the ass. Local stores rarely sell anime, and if they do, it's chinese subbed. Sites like Crunchy and FUNimation for some reason hates my country and blocks us. 

You should try downloading "Hola" or changing the DNS of whatever device you're using. I'm from Mexico, and I made a deal with a friend of mine to exchange Netflix and Crunchyroll, but Mexican selection is rather poor compared to the U.S., so he found out that changing your DNS gives you access to better streaming selection. Anyway, the whole geolocalization thing in the WOLRD WIDE web is pretty stupid. I know it's lawsuit and licenses and whatnot, but it's still stupid.

personally i wouldnt watch anime on "3rd party" sites if there was a good alternative. i dont mind paying. was paying crunchyroll for years.

the problem is the licensing of some animes dont cover EU.  so we get blocked out of the content. 

Pretty much this. I always see if I have whatever I want to watch on Hulu, Netflix or Crunchyroll. I don't mind paying a fee for their services, after all, it is their work. However, here where I'm from, if it's not in a streaming service, you're pretty much screwed to watch it legally. As far as i know, there are literally 0 stores for anime and manga, but i think it's popular enough to warrant it. 

Seriously, if they want me to watch something legally, they should make it available for me. If I have no other alternative, I do go for piracy, after all, it's pretty much the same to them. And that's without mentioning that we get censored or otherwise edited versions, which sucks too.

Torrenting an album simply removes the "middle man" of acquiring a physical copy.

You'd be surprised, how many of those "middle men" are so upset over the fact that internet stole their main source of income. That's why we're being literally swamped with all these "anti-piracy" campaigns, that are actually undercover operations from copyright holder associations, all in order to eliminate their competitors and secure their status quo as the only monopolists on the market. They do not understand, nor care that internet simply offers the best and most reliable ways to share products across the globe, especially digital content. All they want to do is leech money out of both the creators and their customers. Little they know, it's literally impossible to fight with the whole world.

Copyright laws and copyright itself is a bunch of crap. The only reason we are all here with all we got so far, is because people shared their knowledge, ideas, dreams and passions between themselves and no one ever said a thing if someone were using someone else's idea of a "wheel" to produce a different or better one. Tho, who knows where are we currently heading - with all the patents and rights for large corporations with enough of a financial backup to claim their stake over trivial things like words (example: King acquired the sole rights for the word "rabbit" and instantly sued all the other major game studios with games containing it within their titles), we can't be so sure of it anymore. Greed and indolence are awful.

Copyright laws and copyright itself is a bunch of crap. The only reason we are all here with all we got so far, is because people shared their knowledge, ideas, dreams and passions between themselves and no one ever said a thing if someone were using someone else's idea of a "wheel" to produce a different or better one. Tho, who knows where are we currently heading - with all the patents and rights for large corporations with enough of a financial backup to claim their stake over trivial things like words (example: King acquired the sole rights for the word "rabbit" and instantly sued all the other major game studios with games containing it within their titles), we can't be so sure of it anymore. Greed and indolence are awful.

Like, "hey, we totally want you to pay for this, but we won't make it available for you in this globalized market".

Then complain about piracy.

More updates

It seems that what'll be on the blacklist won't be sites but actual material (anime/manga)

There will be 500 manga and 80 anime that are on the list of illegal content that they're trying to remove.

The list of sites targeted has been published as well alongside other information (it's all in japanese though) in a power point presentation that you can view here:

http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/mono_info_service/contents/downloadfiles/140414.pdf

Page 11 and 12 contain the manga sites affected

Pages 13 to 20 contain other sites affected that host the anime, provide direct download, torrents or use other methods to distribute the material.

It seems that our sites will be affected, there's a ton of sites I visit on that list.

Nyaa is included on the list.

Well, I can only say, they are years too late.

Today anime is distributed mostly by torrents and other distributed ways. It perhaps worked back when people downloaded things through direct connect. But thanks to pirate-hunters the downloads have left those fields.

The torrents will be intact, and new indexing sites will pop up, it's like gardening in a forest. And they'll probably focus on the most mainstream material, which pops up faster.

And personally I don't see VN/eroge targeted at all.

More updates

It seems that what'll be on the blacklist won't be sites but actual material (anime/manga)

There will be 500 manga and 80 anime that are on the list of illegal content that they're trying to remove.

The list of sites targeted has been published as well alongside other information (it's all in japanese though) in a power point presentation that you can view here:

http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/mono_info_service/contents/downloadfiles/140414.pdf

Page 11 and 12 contain the manga sites affected

Pages 13 to 20 contain other sites affected that host the anime, provide direct download, torrents or use other methods to distribute the material.

It seems that our sites will be affected, there's a ton of sites I visit on that list.

Nyaa is included on the list.

This so Serious!

Making me anxious to be honest right now.

This will lead nowhere and nowhere fast, nothing's going to come out of this. Japan's going to try and get more revenue, have it fall below expected numbers, then stop the project because of "unforeseen circumstances" or something like that. Imo the internet is the world's most resistant force. Pretty much the immovable object, no one can control it, no one can stop it, and piracy is one of the big parts of the internet. Piracy is and always will be, as long as people are unhappy about product's prices and can't afford it. There will always be sites no matter how many times you take one down. The thing is, the more a project like this fights, it'll get harder and harder, and shut down. So yeah, I can already see where this is going, and really I'm just sad that they're trying a futile venture that could have been easily prevented by either more research, or simply smarter people with better understanding on how the internet actually works. Governments really need a R and D department, I think that would help them a lot.

M.A.G.

... Shere on twitter...

The saddest part is that many fansubbers produce a better product than some of the companies that purchase rights.

A great, whopping exaggeration. I regularly read fansubbed manga and I count myself lucky if it's actually readable. Very few of the groups know how to write well in english, and regarding translation accuracy ... http://8ths.in/fall-2013-fansub-comparison-reviews/

The publishers here have a mindset where they think they can earn more money if foreigners don't pirate. That might work in the beginning (if they could indeed wipe piracy off the face of the Earth), but then the number of foreigners who enjoy manga and anime would dwindle, especially for untranslated stuff.

I say don't worry about it... They cannot win against piracy, for the internet is too strong. Even if they try, there's always the deep web!

I think one of the things I find troublesome is that while I would love to purchase anime legitimately, blu-ray price tags are outrageous no matter what country I purchase them from. I have no interest in paying 60-70 dollars for 3 episodes, let alone 3 episodes which are 23 minutes long at most. Yikes.