Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai Discussion

edwd2

I know it's released yesterday but after finishing just sora's route, I think this could be worthy of discussion. While the common route and initial character route was typical of a highschool pure-love VN, what I especially liked was the After story set several years after college where more mature themes like work and marriage are involved. While most VNs end shortly after a confession and a conflict resolved, perhaps with a brief epilogue or FD, this one takes things further and it's essentially a sequel of almost equal length with the same slice of life narration style, set years later, quite rare.

I can name a few works, say clannad, irohika, hoshizora EH, that also take us to marriage and family, but those are reliant on a supernatural setting or a dramatic plot to retain the reader's interest. Few of this category hold the same slice of life-ish pace or the same everyday events you'd see in reality to keep us reading. I think this isn't bad at all since I've always been more interested in the life of our characters as/after they become mature adults, not highschool kids. So I hope I can see more of these time lapses in future works, and especially FDs.

The love confession and all that is just a beginning, but most novels only leave us with a fairy tale ending "they lived happily ever after" (probably).

Sorry that this isn't very relevant to the discussion at hand, but, since that came out only yesterday, and I doubt too many people have read it already. So, I'll ask a question.
What does irohika stand for?
 Nevermind that. I'm better at searching that I gave myself credit for :D

On a more relevant topic, I really appreciate when games let us see the future beyond your typical happy ever after ending.

I know it's released yesterday but after finishing just sora's route, I think this could be worthy of discussion. While the common route and initial character route was typical of a highschool pure-love VN, what I especially liked was the After story set several years after college where more mature themes like work and marriage are involved. While most VNs end shortly after a confession and a conflict resolved, perhaps with a brief epilogue or FD, this one takes things further and it's essentially a sequel of almost equal length with the same slice of life narration style, set years later, quite rare.

I can name a few works, say clannad, irohika, hoshizora EH, that also take us to marriage and family, but those are reliant on a supernatural setting or a dramatic plot to retain the reader's interest. Few of this category hold the same slice of life-ish pace or the same everyday events you'd see in reality to keep us reading. I think this isn't bad at all since I've always been more interested in the life of our characters as/after they become mature adults, not highschool kids. So I hope I can see more of these time lapses in future works, and especially FDs.

The love confession and all that is just a beginning, but most novels only leave us with a fairy tale ending "they lived happily ever after" (probably).

This is what I look for in every romance anime I watch. It's very hard to bring all those elements together and make it work. I think that's why most producers opt for the easy way out. A typical highschool love story. This Vn has got me Excited. I really hope it get's translated. It Would be my main Priority. 

Indeed this sounds interesting. Will be fun to read more what people say about it.

As you said most vn's don't have that kind of passage of time in a single vn or at all. Not extremely fancy for the mostly slice of life thing, but yeah never the less. I'll put in on my to read list.

edit: lol that vndb rating, http://vndb.org/v14265

Dude wow lol.

Alright, finished 3 routes now. The downsides are also pretty clear at this point. The most glaring fault is having too many H-scenes. While it is realistic for couples to have sex frequently but sex isn't the only way to portray love. They should really save some CGs for the more warmhearting, less direct, romantic scenes. Like most VNs out there, it also has a general lack of content and side characters. Each passing day does not really come alive, it feels more like several lines of diaologue. So to summarize it, this is still your typical purelove novel, still has its many flaws, but one step in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...