Are we getting noticed?

Zhpd2

Not exactly, I think in most cases they just aren't interested in the rest of the world. Similar to how Americans think. I've been told that if you show even the slightest interest in learning Japanese/Japanese culture, that attitude can change quite a bit.

Really? It might just be a preconceived thought on a preconceived thought (yeah, we meta-think now <_< ) but I thought Japanese people didn't like it when foreigners were trying to fit into their cultures.

Their non-interest in the rest of the world is said to be worse than the Americans ^^

Again, the opinion of someone more knowledgeable or with actual experience would be helpful on that point.

I don't necessarily think that they don't like us or anything like that. They just don't want to give out their content to "outsiders" (which is totally understandable and fine) but I will continue to download VN's from translators (Legal or not) if they would sell it to me then I'll buy it. If they want money from me then I'll buy it. But if there is someone else whose giving the same hamburger for free and I can't even buy the original...what can I say...I'm and evil man D:

Really? It might just be a preconceived thought on a preconceived thought (yeah, we meta-think now <_</>/>/> ) but I thought Japanese people didn't like it when foreigners were trying to fit into their cultures.

Their non-interest in the rest of the world is said to be worse than the Americans ^^

Again, the opinion of someone more knowledgeable or with actual experience would be helpful on that point.

Some yes, but for the most, if you show even the tiniest iota, their attitude can change quite a bit. I can't speak for myself, because of my family lineage I'm Asian, but for some of the people I (am) learned(ing) Japanese with who are clearly not Japanese get interesting reactions in Japan.

As for non-Japanese having products of Japan, in my personal experience, they really are just surprised. I don't think it ever occurred to them that any non-Japanese could have interest to Japanese things.

I've hosted exchange students before (long story), and whenever I mention things from japan, such as 化物語, the most common reaction I got was surprise. Then again, Bakemonogatari isn't really a good conversation topic either.