[Solved] Katahane CTD

Hello, I recently found Katakane while exploring a blog I found (Yuri Reviews) and decided that I wanted this VN.

I came to Fuwanovel, downloaded the torrent, and ran the self extracting .rar. Afterwards I checked to make sure that my system locale was still Japanese, it is.

I then start up the english .exe, and then I am shown a series of error messages having something to do with the fastdata folder in the games directory. My only two options on the messages are, "Retry", and, "Cancel". I hit retry for each of the errors (they pop up one after the other btw, not simultaniusly).

The game's window comes up just fine, main menu is in english, displaying the correct font. I can go into the various extra menus just fine.

However, whenever I hit new game, it brings up the VN UI at the bottom of the screen, shows the background, and then, boom, CTD, out of nowhere. I go and attempt to load one of the saves that was left in the torrent, again, CTD right after it loads up.

If anyone has had this issue and/or knows how to fix it, please, let me know, because I would love to try out this story.

Potentially file corruption, though it does seem unlikely (#ithappenedtome.) Keep it as a last resort, though. It would be good to get screens of the actual errors, though -- also you can try pressing cancel on the popups or whatever for lack of other things to do.

It would be useful to know which folder you installed Katahane in - file read issues, which it seems to be (this is what we need the screens for) can be caused by permissions being annoying.

Third: check if the release has some kind of .bat file you're advised to run. It could be that you're missing registry entries that should be present.

However, whenever I hit new game, it brings up the VN UI at the bottom of the screen, shows the background, and then, boom, CTD, out of nowhere. I go and attempt to load one of the saves that was left in the torrent, again, CTD right after it loads up.

That might be the issue since a lot of VNs often store their config with the save data. Make a backup of the save/fastdata folder and delete it and see if that fixes the issue.

Potentially file corruption, though it does seem unlikely (#ithappenedtome.) Keep it as a last resort, though. It would be good to get screens of the actual errors, though -- also you can try pressing cancel on the popups or whatever for lack of other things to do.

It would be useful to know which folder you installed Katahane in - file read issues, which it seems to be (this is what we need the screens for) can be caused by permissions being annoying.

I used snipping tool to get each of the messages, I noticed that a number of them seemed to be the same message over and over again, here's the album.

As for permissions, I consider that a null point in this case, as the game did not install to program files. It's the Fuwanovel "release" of the VN, It comes zipped, and within it is a self extracting .rar, so, no bin files to utilize as far as I can tell, from both the files, and the Fuwanovel page. But thats just me, I hope that I've simply overlooked something.

Ehh, the text in those error messages is weird and stuff (and certainly not in Japanese), a tell-tale sign that you are not using japanese system locale in near all cases. There are unrelated things you might have changed in your region settings instead; what you want is to change the locale for non-unicode programs to Japanese. Follow this guide.

Ehh, the text in those error messages is weird and stuff (and certainly not in Japanese), a tell-tale sign that you are not using japanese system locale in near all cases. There are unrelated things you might have changed in your region settings instead; what you want is to change the locale for non-unicode programs to Japanese. Follow this guide.

I'm using Japanese system locale, at the time that I switched to JP locale I didn't have the language packs installed, giving me those results.