Recent (Japanese) Things You Have Purchased

Tatsujin

9 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

wohoooooooo the books are finally here!!! They are a bit small and the font size is also a bit small (some furigana are hard to read) but no problem since the books are really good and they explain things in a really detailed way with tons of examples!

Hide contents

The third book doesnt fit in the image xD (photo taken with a potato)
OXouNEF.jpg

That is some next gen potato photography indeed.

Would you say it's worth it to get a book like this? I've been thinking about whether or not I should expand my Japanese learning resources beyond the usual websites but I don't know what would help.

I'm really pissed my college course only uses Minna no Nihongo, which is like, trash tier for self studying (and trash tier in general but that's a personal opinion), so that's why I was thinking about a different manual.

45 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

That is some next gen potato photography indeed.

Would you say it's worth it to get a book like this? I've been thinking about whether or not I should expand my Japanese learning resources beyond the usual websites but I don't know what would help.

I'm really pissed my college course only uses Minna no Nihongo, which is like, trash tier for self studying (and trash tier in general but that's a personal opinion), so that's why I was thinking about a different manual.

definitely worth it for me (you can also get it via pdf to see if it's worth it or not)
I found things in this book that I havent seen in any other book (most of the japanese books sucks really bad) and everything in a very detailed way, the only thing I don't like is that the basic book doesnt have furigana for the kanji only romaji >_> maybe because it is the basic one but this is not a book for someone that just recently started with Japanese, you need to have a basic grammar understanding and some other basic concepts. The closest thing I can think of to this books is imabi, another great thing is that they also teaches you how to parse a sentence going from a really easy one to some pretty complex stuff that you will not see very often (haven read anything like that in a vn so far, specially things from the advance book).

That seems really tempting, especially the parsing aspect which SO many manuals lack, although no furigana does sound annoying but it shouldn't be a big issue.

I somewhat dislike imabii because even with my knowledge of Japanese some of the wording and explanations are very confusing, but hopefully this book is more accessible.

I'll get the pdfs and see for myself (I would buy them but they cost an arm and a leg :()

To give you some perspective of how stupid Minna no Nihongo is as a manual and why I want something better, it teaches the masu form before the plain form for verbs, without mentioning anything relating to how the stem is formed.

only the basic book doesnt have furigana (again it makes sense from a point of view but at the same time it doesnt...), the intermediate and advance do use furigana, it also uses furigana only the first time it introduces you a new word, later on it stops using it (and it keeps using the same vocabulary or it tries to when it can) so you have to learn that word want it or not :P  it is a cool method to force you to learn vocabulary.
Japanese learning books are terrible in general, the only book that isnt so terrible is Genki and it is far from perfect... either way this are not "teaching books" per se but more like a grammar guides, even so they are far better than any other language learning book that I've seen, the way they explains the sentences is actually pretty good and simple.
Yep they are very expensive :komari: but I think they are worth it, I wouldnt recommend it to someone new but if you've already read the tae kim's guide (and understood most of the topics there) this books are the next thing for you without a doubt.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:33 PM, LiquidShu said:

Yo with all these manga's and what not does anyone have a pic of their bookshelf/setup? Looking for some ideas. 

Bookshelves are for VNs:

Spoiler

IMG_0187_zpsu6qemu9e.jpg

Well, not really. I have two leaning bookshelves with VNs, CDs, and (mostly) actual books. The VNs are actually pretty annoying since they're all different sizes. I should probably rearrange them by size or something to be more aesthetically pleasing... the CDs on the bottom row are VN OSTs. Not pictured here: rows of CDs, books, and quite a few more of my bad drawings.

40 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Bookshelves are for VNs:

Hide contents

IMG_0187_zpsu6qemu9e.jpg

Well, not really. I have two leaning bookshelves with VNs, CDs, and (mostly) actual books. The VNs are actually pretty annoying since they're all different sizes. I should probably rearrange them by size or something to be more aesthetically pleasing... the CDs on the bottom row are VN OSTs. Not pictured here: rows of CDs, books, and quite a few more of my bad drawings.

You uh... wanna send me those Majikoi and WA2 cases? 

Just came back from an anime con, this is all the loot I got.

I didn't get any figures because they were either overpriced as shit, bootlegs or worst grills.

First I got a No Game No Life hoodie. I was going to get the t-shirt which is what Sora wears im the series but a hoodie is better in general and I can use it more often.

Spoiler

nCcVRxx.jpg

Then I found this amazing Umaru  wallet!

Spoiler

HzgDeV9.jpg

And a Jibril Keychain to go along with it

Spoiler

1vQUAC2.jpg

And lastly I won a mini Ebina and a mini Umaru from those random boxes, which was pretty cool since I always wanted the Ebina one.

Spoiler

zaupPOs.jpg

I probably won't buy anything else since this stuff was already expensive so tomorrow I'll probably just be taking pictures of all the Umaru cosplayers.

Edit: wow spoiler tags got merged into one. :ipb:

Edit2: fixed spoiler tags~

I bought some more manga: 

9781626922556.jpg The Ancient Magus Bride: Vol. 4

9781421580418.jpg Tokyo Ghoul 6: Vol. 6

9780316263702.jpg Trinity Seven: Vol. 5

And I'm still waiting for my daki and that shitty copy of Clannad. But we know how SP is... they don'y give any updates, when it should be shipped 2~3 weeks ago...... 

3 new figures for today. 1 being by first ever Nendoroid! And 1 of them is by Aquamarine, and they've shown some real quality work. It's so amazing it deserves 2 pictures.

Isla from Plastic Memories

1NJ5b8J.jpg

My first ever Nendoroid, Nya-tan from Etotama!

SiEeZs2.jpg

And the best for last:

Menma from Anohana! By Aquamarine. Even her mouth is hollow and the dress is partially see-through! Bringing back the feels! T u T

CuNpBri.jpg

uq03mYY.jpg

Edited by Noumi Kudryavka
Spoilers

Was wondering what manga I definitely wanted to own, and then I noticed for some reason I still haven't bought Citrus, so I fixed that mistake and ordered all 4 volumes.
I hate myself for throwing my money away but the art is so pretty

DMCe0rK.jpg hLU2Ftn.jpg

OYUVYS5.jpg nlcXmsr.jpg

@Dergonu do you have these? If so, any comments?

9 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Was wondering what manga I definitely wanted to own, and then I noticed for some reason I still haven't bought Citrus, so I fixed that mistake and ordered all 4 volumes.
I hate myself for throwing my money away but the art is so pretty

@Dergonu do you have these? If so, any comments?

I sadly do not.

I really want them though :wafuu:

2 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

I sadly do not.

I really want them though :wafuu:

You should get them then, it's a must-have for any yuri fan. I got them all for 40€ which wasn't bad given that the art in this manga is pretty above average.

I almost bought the Gakkou Gurashi volumes instead, but thankfully I remembered Citrus was licensed in English.

Just now, Nosebleed said:

You should get them then, it's a must-have for any yuri fan. I got them all for 40€ which wasn't bad given that the art in this manga is pretty above average.

Yeah I just checked my local manga store, and they have 1,3 and 4.... No 2....

It's like they want an angry yuri fan to come down there with a pitchfork :pyaa: