Get to Know the Community Podcast Sidebar

In response to the amount of individualism that followers of the Fuwanovel podcast have requested, I have decided to begin making weekly "get to know your community" episodes. The 1st episode has been released on my Mixcloud account (featuring Nosebleed), and I was wondering if we can find a way to feature these episodes on a sidebar for the main forums page, much like the member of the month is featured. I have uploaded the .mp3 file to my Google Drive, and can easily share it so it can be downloaded.

My idea is that each week these "feature episodes" would be rotated out for new members, and members of the site could listen to them if they choose to.

This would be a nice thing to go on the blog.

We used to have the community spotlight which was the same as what you did except written. But things got busy and it hasn't happened for a while. I could post these interviews on the blog if you want.

Don't know about a sidebar thing though. You'll need Tay for that.

Indeed, what Kaguya said. Just let people know it exists through a post.

There was enough controversy surrounding the MoTM already.

After all everyone on the forums already knows nosebleed, we should give a chance to everyone else in the community to be special, whether they joined today or 2 years ago or whether they have 10 or 10,000 posts.

The nature of people will show itself on its own.

Indeed, what Kaguya said. Just let people know it exists through a post.

There was enough controversy surrounding the MoTM already.

After all everyone on the forums already knows nosebleed, we should give a chance to everyone else in the community to be special, whether they joined today or 2 years ago or whether they have 10 or 10,000 posts.

The nature of people will show itself on its own.

People know members of the forum through a multitude of posts, but the focus of these "get to know members" also focuses on things unrelated to VNs or the actual community of Fuwanovel.

People know members of the forum through a multitude of posts, but the focus of these "get to know members" also focuses on things unrelated to VNs or the actual community of Fuwanovel.

Exactly. We're a VN forum. We're here to share our hobby about VNs. I think talking about others things is totally fine (that's why we have GD), but having a sidebar like that is too much. Even MoTM was already kind of a forced thing with a lot of discussion.

If besides blogging you want to make a thread on G&C (maybe even pin it, since it's a nice community thing that helps with chatting and knowing more about each other), that's fine, though.

Still think a sidebar is too much, after all~

Which is why it is fine and a good idea in a topic in GD or something. But no reason to have it load for everyone in the community each time they visit the forums.

Cant hurt anyone's feeling and make anyone feel special here Ren. So nope, no highlighting members even though Tay did that already on VisualNovelAer with the Community Spotlight. Member of the Month hurt too many people's feelings and I see them crying all the time now. 

I do think a sidebar is a bit of overkill (mainly because fuck sidebars), but knowing you, I'm sure you'll find a different way to make people aware of it. 

Why would there be controversy over MotM?

You didn't see the outrage over it? People were rioting in the streets. It was insane! I don't know how the staff managed. 

Serious answer, the only controversy over it was from the staff itself. Not from any members as far as I know. 

Back to the point, if Community Spotlight was revived, might that solve the problem Ren? Or is this one focused just on people in the podcast?

I'd personally like this to be part, if not the new, community spotlight.

It's the same principle except in audio format and it would sit perfectly as a blog post. Tay is busy to work on community spotlight so it's a good chance to have someone else take the lead.

Why want a sidebar when this can appear on the main site? :P

I think that's more than enough exposure.

I'd personally like this to be part, if not the new, community spotlight.

It's the same principle except in audio format and it would sit perfectly as a blog post. Why want a sidebar when this can appear on the main site? :P

I think that's more than enough exposure.

Exactly. And blog posts should auto go to Facebook (when they aren't TL updates) so even more exposure. 

I can work with you and design a format for the blog post if you want.

Or you can write the blog post entirely and i'll post it on your behalf if you wish.

I don't know if we can post automatically on fb yet. Not sure if Tay implemented the feature. But if necessary i'll link to it.

You didn't see the outrage over it? People were rioting in the streets. It was insane! I don't know how the staff managed. 

Serious answer, the only controversy over it was from the staff itself. Not from any members as far as I know. 

Back to the point, if Community Spotlight was revived, might that solve the problem Ren? Or is this one focused just on people in the podcast?

It's meant to include active members from the site (aka people with avatars that at least actively post on this website). Now, does everyone want to speak? No, so the idea behind feelings getting hurt is kind of only based on if someone doesn't want to be interviewed for half an hour. And for that reason I understand that shyness and nervousness to speak English can play a huge part in that, but the idea behind the sidebar was to highlight the members from the site.

I am all for the idea behind the main site. It is far more than I would ask for, so that would be an honor.

It's meant to include active members from the site (aka people with avatars that at least actively post on this website). Now, does everyone want to speak? No, so the idea behind feelings getting hurt is kind of only based on if someone doesn't want to be interviewed for half an hour. And for that reason I understand that shyness and nervousness to speak English can play a huge part in that, but the idea behind the sidebar was to highlight the members from the podcast.

I am all for the idea behind the main site. It is far more than I would ask for, so that would be an honor.

My response was more to Steve and Kaguya for crying about something stupid but cool if it helped. 

Pinning the thread might help if it were to go to GD. I'm sure some of the other threads can be unpinned at this point. Of course, getting this as Community Spotlight hinges on the Blog Revival. 

The original idea and my argument for community spotlight section for both main website or forums was to highlight people and projects who even through their efforts are not getting noticed enough.

From small groups and discussions to art contests and similar events, there is plenty of stuff that just got overlooked, because not everyone is able to bump and keep their topics active like for example Ren does.

That's why the idea of highlighting something that is already in bold text seems unproductive. Sure there are people who would be interested in knowing what size of shoes I'm wearing or again hear why I like lolis and Mare and Shinku and favo games, but I can let people know about that myself, I am able to highlight my stuff on my own through my activity.

That's why I think the main focus of highlighting through a spotlight should be on things that are not that apparent and visible.

That's what Kaguya and I are probably referring to, just look at our topics, I can keep EH project up there (compared to some other TL projects), cute image and loli threads too, I backlink to temple of mare when needed and when its relevant. Kaguya's 50 translated VNs topic is one of the most visited topics on the forums and I'm sure he would have more example like that.

And at the same time the much more difficult projects like the Hacking Tools stuff is buried somewhere - and even that is fairly popular by already fairly known member maef, at least compared to some other projects that just never got a chance to shine.

And when you want to encourage people to make these projects, they need to first see that efforts like that are appreciated. Instead they see that milk, pineapples, octopi and appreciation threads are being appreciated :)

Now we talked about this, Ren - getting appreciation is something very hard, generally in the world. That's what the community spotlight was going to try to help with and change a little.

The original idea and my argument for community spotlight section for both main website or forums was to highlight people and projects who even through their efforts are not getting noticed enough.

From small groups and discussions to art contests and similar events, there is plenty of stuff that just got overlooked, because not everyone is able to bump and keep their topics active like for example Ren does.

That's why the idea of highlighting something that is already in bold text seems unproductive. Sure there are people who would be interested in knowing what size of shoes I'm wearing or again hear why I like lolis and Mare and Shinku and favo games, but I can let people know about that myself, I am able to highlight my stuff on my own through my activity.

That's why I think the main focus of highlighting through a spotlight should be on things that are not that apparent and visible.

That's what Kaguya and I are probably referring to, just look at our topics, I can keep EH project up there (compared to some other TL projects), cute image and loli threads too, I backlink to temple of mare when needed and when its relevant. Kaguya's 50 translated VNs topic is one of the most visited topics on the forums and I'm sure he would have more example like that.

And at the same time the much more difficult projects like the Hacking Tools stuff is buried somewhere - and even that is fairly popular by already fairly known member maef, at least compared to some other projects that just never got a chance to shine.

And when you want to encourage people to make these projects, they need to first see that efforts like that are appreciated. Instead they see that milk, pineapples, octopi and appreciation threads are being appreciated :)

Now we talked about this, Ren - getting appreciation is something very hard, generally in the world. That's what the community spotlight was going to try to help with and change a little.

When the hell did you come up with Community Spotlight? I was under the impression that Tay began it. More revisionist history?

Edited by solidbatman

When the hell did you come up with Community Spotlight? I was under the impression that Tay began it. More revisionist history?

Remember the big Fuwanovel revolution that in the end didn't happen? (or only happened for a single day). It was during that time. It originated as a PM to Tay but I even reposted that later in the staff section (which you were part of at that time) - I guess you didn't read it. The main points there were improvements like Walkthrough section on main page, Fan TL base and better organized resources (for hacking and all), unification of news (facebook, blog etc), community section and highlights (that's the part im talking about) and improvement of the technical support for games on fuwa.

That should help you remember, it was a fairly long post xD

And then there was also the talk about motm during the times...

I have to wonder if you actually read my posts at all, as it seems you just read the first 2 lines and ignore the rest :(

A community spotlight to showcase projects which doesn’t garner much interest from the public, or members who aren’t active in the community, doesn’t make a lot of sense. Some members only come to the forums to promote their project and are nearly never seen. Are you going to spotlight these people as well? And for what purpose? You should keep in mind it is not Fuwa's mission to make sure everybody feels equally appreciated and loved (and yes, I’m also talking about certain people’s opposition to the Motm here.) It is Fuwa’s mission to improve the fanbase and provide a civil atmosphere. And looking at the Ren x Tay interview, I can say for certain that I learnt things about them I didn't otherwise know, and couldn’t possibly know without them spamming/derailing threads (not allowed outside of GC) or introducing an AMA thread (frowned upon.)

Ren is an intelligent man and can make his own decisions concerning who to interview.

A community spotlight to showcase projects which doesn’t garner much interest from the public, or members who aren’t active in the community, doesn’t make a lot of sense. Some members only come to the forums to promote their project and are nearly never seen. Are you going to spotlight these people as well? And for what purpose? You should keep in mind it is not Fuwa's mission to make sure everybody feels equally appreciated and loved (and yes, I’m also talking about certain people’s opposition to the Motm here.) It is Fuwa’s mission to improve the fanbase and provide a civil atmosphere. And looking at the Ren x Tay interview, I can say for certain that I learnt things about them I didn't otherwise know, and couldn’t possibly know without them spamming/derailing threads (not allowed outside of GC) or introducing an AMA thread (frowned upon.)

Ren is an intelligent man and can make his own decisions concerning who to interview.

No, I'm not talking about people who come to promote their off-site project. There is however enough fuwa related projects that get overlooked.

And I am not saying the stuff isn't interesting, like I said I am sure there are people who would be interested in hearing more from nose, me, kaguya and all the other big posters - but those people will find the topic anyways when its out.

So I am not giving and advise who to interview, it is Ren's show and his decision.

I am commenting on the request here and that is it being as a sidebar on the forums or even the main website - and I believe if there is a highlight space reverser for something, it should focus on less visible stuff.

edit: So again, this topic is not about whether or not Ren's show is good, it is about whether or not it should be highlighted for everyone on the forums to see (or website as suggested later).

edit: So again, this topic is not about whether or not Ren's show is good, it is about whether or not it should be highlighted for everyone on the forums to see (or website as suggested later).

Sorry, I must have misunderstood you (my fault, I do it every so often.) So let me see if I get it right, you oppose visible projects and people being advertised on the main site because they're already high profile within the community?

But not everybody who visits the main site visits the community. I would like to see it on the main page to highlight to people outside the community just how awesome being a part of this community is. So the people who post the most are usually the most comfortable sharing themselves with people, and the projects which are popular are usually those which appeal to the most people, so if you're going to advertise the community...

I disagree.  The point is to spotlight people the community is interested in knowing more about.  It's not necessarily to recognize people for their achievements or contributions.  OriginalRen isn't in the position to make that sort of decision (Tay would have to be calling those shots--and I doubt he wants to!), but OriginalRen can certainly find people that seem like they'd have interesting things to say in an interview.  In general, that's probably going to mean people that are active on the site and in the community.

As for a sidebar, I agree with others that that's unnecessary.  The spotlight episodes shouldn't necessarily receive any more marketing than any of the other podcast episodes.  The more special privileges you ask Fuwanovel to grant you, the more you have to give up the reins of the podcast to the administrators of Fuwanovel (because they can't endorse content yet to be released that they have no control over).  At the moment, I doubt that's something either you or they want.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood you (my fault, I do it every so often.) So let me see if I get it right, you oppose visible projects and people being advertised on the main site because they're already high profile within the community?

But not everybody who visits the main site visits the community. I would like to see it on the main page to highlight to people outside the community just how awesome being a part of this community is. So the people who post the most are usually the most comfortable sharing themselves with people, and the projects which are popular are usually those which appeal to the most people, so if you're going to advertise the community...

Well the reaction was mostly to the forums sidebar.

As for the website, my main ideas for the changes were mostly stuff like promoting the activities we do have on the forums, the various groups and talks you could join and what all you can do on the forums. With something like member interviews you are presenting an idea of "you can get on the forums to talk to THIS guy" since its a single person being interviewed.

I don't want to go much off-topic here, basically the idea was to introduce stuff to website users that they can instantly hop into and participate in to better get into the community (which Ren is going good job at with stuff like the treasure hunt - those would be the projects that would be promoted).

The main reason for all this being delayed indefinitely (and all the other projects) was the lack of coders for the main website, but well although I am not sure now since I am not on staff anymore, this might actually change soon from what how it was shaping before I left.

Anyways to the point, someone cannot really participate in an interview, all they can do is come and say "I don't know you but you sound like a cool guy" - so having that highlighted is not really doing anything. Having stuff like walkthroughs, guides, lexicons and even fun projects like what Ren did with the treasure hunt there will be much more productive - that is if such section ever comes to life. Because people can instantly participate and join the community.