Vocal Music

Guest sakanaとkoeda

Vocal Music  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a preference when it comes to vocals in music?

• Female vocals.
    • Male vocals.
    • I like both male and female vocals the same.
    • No vocals.
  2. 2. Are you the same gender as your preferred vocals?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • n/a.
  3. 3. Does your music library/collection/playlist reflect a balance? (relatively 50/50 ratio of songs between male and female vocalists)

• Of course.
    • No...
    • n/a.

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest sakanaとkoeda

Hi, just wanted to try a poll.

Also if you're gonna post media, please hide them behind a spoiler. 

Thanks

Edit: Ah, thanks Funnerific, I thought each poll was standalone. I've changed it so that the last two can have multiple answers and also added a third [n/a] option.

It's not exhaustive, but a few questions I had when making this poll:

1. Are vocals important to you in music (the ones with lyrics - e.g. no just "lalala")? Why?
  2. Is it just me or do male groups (boy bands) have (relatively) more staying power and popularity than female groups? If so, why is that?
  3. Have you ever heard a song that really picked you up when you hit rock bottom? Was it the entire song or just a verse?
  4. Do you sing aloud when you're alone?
  5. Does vocal music "speak" to you? Does it work better than a book or poetry for you?

Maybe I'm they only one too think about vocals this way but Vocals are in my opinion just another instrument in the music.

I have a hard time answering to the poll because I don't really care about the vocals as long as the tone, the rythm, the intonations add to the music.

Most singers don't know how to write and just do some wannado poetry kind of work which often is horrible. Don't pay attention to what they say, pay attention to how they sing.

And this is why I listen to electronic music.

There still are vocals but they aren't the center of the music.

Maybe I'm they only one too think about vocals this way but Vocals are in my opinion just another instrument in the music.

I tried to start listening to vocal music this way at one point but I just feel like the vocals kind of out shadows the rest of the tune in my opinion. It just doesn't work for me.

Guest sakanaとkoeda
Most singers don't know how to write and just do some wannado poetry kind of work which often is horrible. Don't pay attention to what they say, pay attention to how they sing.

I partially disagree with that last part. I have a sister who listens to a lot of Kpop, and the singers sing and dance very suave and chic; but their messages are sometimes very dirty. I'm pretty sure it's had an affect on her, like a subliminal message.

But singing ability and composition is important too; that I can't deny. 

I like male and female vocals equally, but I have preferences on style of vocals for each.  Since more male vocalists fit my preferences than female(that I've found), my collection is not even.

I'm the same. But it does make me wonder if it's an industry/copyright thing. Like I would be fine if a female sang many of my songs, but coincidentally(?) a male got to it first. And it happens again. And again.

Before I know it, my library's 90% male vocalist.

I find the male voice more soothing.

For me, maybe subconsciously, as a guy; I can identify better when another guy is singing. Kind of like when playing an rpg or VN I'd prefer to be a male because the perspective is easier to agree with.

So it's more in-line with 'words in my head and a song in my heart'.