Just finished School Days (VN)

Amano Sora

I started this a while back... i think... January? And i instantly got hooked after the prologue. Maybe cuz i felt bad for Sekai but i got hooked nonetheless. While i was playing, i noticed that Makoto was gettin a lot of hate lol so i was wonderin why. That is one of the few reasons why i decided to finish all the endings for the VN. I really didnt like it all that much... Or rather, i didnt like it because of the two main heroines... Sekai is too much of a drama queen and Kotonoha is too clingy. My fave Heroines were Katou (Really liked her end) Kioura and Hikari. And after gein through all the endings, I blame Sekai and Kotonoha for all the hate Makoto gets... Hes just unlucky to have those two around lol. I just cant seem to like them... Also, Itaru is sooo cuuute~ >o<

Despite that fact that i didnt enjoy it as much, im plannin on playin the other ones (cross days, summer days...)

The main reason I don't enjoy the protagonist is that he can't get a hold of himself when it comes to faithfulness. For gods sake, he's like a sex machine most of the time.

Realistic? Perhaps, but all that gets him is hate in the visual novel community.

Agreed. Thats why my fav end was 

When Sekai Killed him at the beach place

Best end in there in my opinion (with main heroines)

Makoto doesn't want to hurt anyone.  His indecisiveness is his undoing, but it's also very human and therefore its easy to empathize with him.  Every choice has consequences, but not making a choice also has consequences.  This is a central message of School Days.  The game does a very good job of presenting difficult situations where there's no easy solution or where it's easy to get swept into others' flow.  It works very well in the game, but it falls flat in the anime because the viewer doesn't get to participate and Makoto gets defined for you (instead of by you).  While it's easy to criticize others after seeing the consequences of their actions, it's quite different to be an actor faced with a multitude of difficult choices.

Makoto doesn't want to hurt anyone.  His indecisiveness is his undoing, but it's also very human and therefore its easy to empathize with him.  Every choice has consequences, but not making a choice also has consequences.  This is a central message of School Days.  The game does a very good job of presenting difficult situations where there's no easy solution or where it's easy to get swept into others' flow.  It works very well in the game, but it falls flat in the anime because the viewer doesn't get to participate and Makoto gets defined for you (instead of by you).  While it's easy to criticize others after seeing the consequences of their actions, it's quite different to be an actor faced with a multitude of difficult choices.

A very nice deduction sir.

In that case we need more choices, because a lot of times the game simply lacked the option of acting as a decent person.

I don't think it's right to place all the blame on Makoto because Sekai and Kotonoha were just as much fault as he was. In my eyes he was probably the most rational and normal person in the story(when he wasn't messing with girls he can be seen like that). School Days had a good premise but it just fell apart cause most of the characters were just unlikable and things always take a turn for the worst with how the whole thing was driven.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree completely with Darkshine.

SPOILERS!

The whole plot of School Days revolves around a love triangle, and sometimes other characters get in the way too. You "have" to cheat on others, otherwise there would be no story.

Makoto is a very indecisive guy, and initially just planned to stay with Kotonoha. However, when he realises that nearly every girl on the school likes him, he doesn't know what to do. He tries to follow his heart, but it's extremely difficult since he doesn't want to hurt anyone, and isn't very sure of his real feelings, either. It's already confusing for a fictional character, imagine for a real person. I wouldn't know what to do in this situation.

But the real problem is that he is an absolute jerk in the anime.

People think that it's the same thing in the VN. That's not right.

I dislike the anime for a few reasons. The opening and ending have changed, and I don't like them at all. The animation quality and character design is inferior, and there's also the fact that some characters have a completely different personality.

Anyway, all characters in the Days series have faults, and that's what makes them better and more realistic. I agree that the harem setting isn't very realistic but the other situations are, in my opinion.

Kotonoha herself is troubled. She can be incredibly obsessive sometimes, and this is evident in a few routes. She hurts Makoto a lot, too.

I've completed the game three times, I believe. I got the Bloody Conclusion, then the New Year's Eve ending, and more recently, Bavarois.

It's not fair to hate on the work itself just because you dislike one thing. I see a lot of people criticizing films because the characters are absolutely insufferable. I guess if it makes you feel something, be it either love or hate, they've accomplished something, right?

I know it can be hard to continue if you don't like the characters or the story, but at least in the case of School Days, you can change what happens.

Anyway, there's always plenty of other films to watch or other novels to read. You don't have to stick with something if you don't like it.

• 2 weeks later...