Fanservice Pictures

adqMLz9b.png

adw4uQzi.jpg

ackAZvZZ.jpg

acvGNzjO.jpg

abyhS1AV.jpg

YouTube: アニメ「魔法科高校の劣等生」PV
Release: April of 2014
Description: The story takes place in a world in which magic is not a fairy tale, but has existed for nearly one hundred years. In the spring, the Private Magic University Affiliated High School (Magic High School for short) is welcoming its new students, and names the top student with the best grades at the time of their arrival the Bloom (read as “garland” in Japanese), and the student called the Weed is the Bloom's replacement.

Twin siblings Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba are designated as the Weed and Bloom, respectively. Miyuki is given the title of Bloom due to her amazing grades, while Tatsuya is given the title of Weed due to his poor grades. Tatsuya, the young man who always has a farsighted expression, and Miyuki, the young woman who feels far more for her brother than sibling love. Since the day the two entered the gates of the elite school, the establishment's peaceful days have become chaotic.

--

MADHouse.

Light Novel to Manga and Anime.

Nice presentation, but if you want to talk about Mahouka could you add your opinion, anything you have to say about the anime, the LN, whatever?

I read up to chapter 21 in the manga. I stopped afterwards for a while. I want to watch the anime after it finishes airing.

How about you?

For me the anime suffers from terrible pacing, there are several episodes straight where they do nothing but talk. And when there is action its really short and basically comes out be Tatsuya saves the day once again with his magic BS. 

Though I heard the LN is much better. But I just can't get into LNs, so I probably won't reading this for a while. 

How is the manga?

For me the anime suffers from terrible pacing, there are several episodes straight where they do nothing but talk. And when there is action its really short and basically comes out be Tatsuya saves the day once again with his magic BS. 

Though I heard the LN is much better. But I just can't get into LNs, so I probably won't reading this for a while. 

How is the manga?

Nice art, good action, some talking. I actually like talking a lot. I don't mind as long as it's not repetitive stupid things that happen and "forget about it" next episode type of thing. Kind of like Accel World (except that Accel Worrld suffered because of the lack of realism).

I can't get into manga that has bad anatomy or bad art. Unless it is one-shots then I can forgive that. :P

Anyways, I like the strong bond between the brother and sister.

I didn't mind the pacing, but then I watched all of the current 15 episodes back to back to back. Not to mention I enjoy exposition in these kinda anime more than action.

Gonna have to agree with everyone else though, I think Tatsuya is too strong, and needs some counterbalance... but we'll see how that goes. I considered reading the LN, but since I've never tried LNs I'm pretty hesitant.

Actually, I think it's really the biggest problem of MKnR, it suffers from the "perfect protagonist" syndrom.

And it goes worse and worse, I'm pretty sure those who dislike this side of Tatsuya will be pretty much upset about the end of the anime (if they end it where I thin they will, Scorched Halloween arc).

What's more is that the few "weaknesses" (if I can call them that) that they try to give to Tatsuya more feel like they are additional advantages for him than real defaults. 

But still, what I do like is that the universe is very well thought and built, whether it is the geo-political matters that are explained in details in the Light Novel (unfortunately, the anime doesn't have the time to go over these details), or the way they explain and describe magic, which feels very scientific like (again, the explanations are shortened a lot in the anime).

Actually, I think it's really the biggest problem of MKnR, it suffers from the "perfect protagonist" syndrom.

Pretty much my conclusion.  After watching the anime episodes released to date, I think this'd work better as a VN than as an anime.  There's several potential love interests, and the "perfect protagonist" problem is alleviated when you put the player in the protagonist's shoes, perhaps with choices highlighting that the right course of action is not necessarily "fated".

Pretty much my conclusion.  After watching the anime episodes released to date, I think this'd work better as a VN than as an anime.  There's several potential love interests, and the "perfect protagonist" problem is alleviated when you put the player in the protagonist's shoes, perhaps with choices highlighting that the right course of action is not necessarily "fated".

You're right, I can totally see you having to choose your different strategies to get the girls you're working with to win their competition (1. "We'll use the light strategy again!", 2. "How about this time we use the sunglasses to our advantage", 3. "We'll win using your natural skills!" or 1. "A gun that shoots faster", 2. "A gun that auto targets within a field", 3. "A gun that can shoot multiple shots at once")

I think this show would be a lot more interesting if the protagonist made mistakes like an actual human being.  Even really intelligent people can come to the wrong conclusion based on incomplete evidence, and those with exceptional abilities can make a single glaring mistake in the heat of the moment.  A perfectly flawless character is static with no room for development.  It's also difficult to have any real drama because the outcome of any conflict is known at the start.  Currently, I find the romantic tension with Miyuki to be the main draw of the show.  Some failures--even conflicts with Miyuki--would make this relationship more interesting.

I think this show would be a lot more interesting if the protagonist made mistakes like an actual human being.  Even really intelligent people can come to the wrong conclusion based on incomplete evidence, and those with exceptional abilities can make a single glaring mistake in the heat of the moment.  A perfectly flawless character is static with no room for development.  It's also difficult to have any real drama because the outcome of any conflict is known at the start.  Currently, I find the romantic tension with Miyuki to be the main draw of the show.  Some failures--even conflicts with Miyuki--would make this relationship more interesting.

Is he a human being though?

*cue dramatic SFX*

Tatsuya is deeper than what he shows on the surface, at least that's what I believe, he has a lot of stuff hidden that's not being explored.

What ruins the series for me is Miyuki, I just can't deal with her character.

The setting of the series is awesome, sadly the anime is only going to deal with the school enrolment from what I've heard and there's a lot more stuff that happens after that won't get covered.