Light novel recommendations

Except Spice & Wolf which ones are completed (English translated)? I usually prefer completed works. I just started reading Spice & Wolf since after watching the anime I wanted more and I've been interested in reading some LNs for quite a while.

Spice and Wolf is great all-around, but the official English translations (by Yen Press) simply don't show much effort. Anybody could spot the typos scattered about. The writing style isn't necessarily bad; the writer seems to be quite adept, but it's as if they didn't take the time to look over it for revision.

I'm reading Nobuna right now and some of the cultural references are a bit odd. Like the whole scooping out all the water of the lake by one person to show that there was no god there. Sounds like one of those hard to believe mythical stories written ages ago. Those parts were cut out from the Anime, and I wonder if that had to do with the creators having an international audience in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Nobuna right now and some of the cultural references are a bit odd. Like the whole scooping out all the water of the lake by one person to show that there was no god there. Sounds like one of those hard to believe mythical stories written ages ago. Those parts were cut out from the Anime, and I wonder if that had to do with the creators having an international audience in mind.

That really is not much of a cultural reference. Its a period reference. A long time ago anywhere that would have been the way to prove it. Also, I think they mostly cut that out for brevity, as in lack of time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can any of you recommend something similar to Mushoku Tensei.

Already read Re:monster.

If there isn't really anything, then can you recommend a series with a badass MC that doesn't act like an idiot in front of his harem. Or something like Gate JSDF fought there, just read the manga for that awhile back and can't really find anything similar.

• 5 weeks later...

So I started in July, and now it's October. I'm on Volume 6 of Oda Nobuna no Yabou. I've taken my sweet time, but now that I'm out of the anime plot line, I'm tearing through the story right now. Bridal Juubei is so darn precious! Who knew I'd find a naive, bratty wide-headed samurai girl cute.

397px-OdaVol5Cover2.jpg

So I started in July, and now it's October. I'm on Volume 6 of Oda Nobuna no Yabou. I've taken my sweet time, but now that I'm out of the anime plot line, I'm tearing through the story right now. Bridal Juubei is so darn precious! Who knew I'd find a naive, bratty wide-headed samurai girl cute.

397px-OdaVol5Cover2.jpg

I love Date Masamune. I really hate that you dont get to see any of her yet though.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Didn't really want to make a new thread on this since it has something to do with light novels and isn't big enough to make a thread about. 

Got a new phone with a larger screen than my last and I can now properly enjoy manga, movies, and novels on it now. I was able to before but this is waaay better. I was going to purchase PDF Expert 5 on the iOS app store to download PDF files to my phone and read light novels on it. Before I went and did that has anyone tried something like this before and does it work? If not is there another app that would let me do that? 

Didn't really want to make a new thread on this since it has something to do with light novels and isn't big enough to make a thread about. 

Got a new phone with a larger screen than my last and I can now properly enjoy manga, movies, and novels on it now. I was able to before but this is waaay better. I was going to purchase PDF Expert 5 on the iOS app store to download PDF files to my phone and read light novels on it. Before I went and did that has anyone tried something like this before and does it work? If not is there another app that would let me do that? 

I only use android, so I'm not sure how relatable it is ti iOS, but I never use PDF's because it s a standardized and strictly laid out format compared to epub which is far more flexible.  PDF's have strict layout guidelines that basically mean that you only get x amount of lines per page and the text is always the same size, and is laid out exactly according to how the maker wanted.  This was an issue for me because I like to read with 30+ lines of text on the screen, yet most PDF's I've seen only have maybe 15.  If you think text reflow might work, all the programs on android at least, either remove any images, or hyphenate words, or just generally screw something up.

What I ended up doing on my phone was taking all the pdf's and using Calibre to convert them into epubs.  Calibre is a bit difficult to figure out at first, but on my page counts, I've condensed a 200 page pdf into an 80 page epub before.  I use a program called FBReader for older, less legal series, such s Haruhi and SAO, and there is a BakaTsuki reader app for anything that is hosted there.  I'm not sure how helpful this will be considering its on android, but I hope it at least gives some ideas.

Full disclosure, I really don't like the PDF format for reading because of how strict it is.

I only use android, so I'm not sure how relatable it is ti iOS, but I never use PDF's because it s a standardized and strictly laid out format compared to epub which is far more flexible.  PDF's have strict layout guidelines that basically mean that you only get x amount of lines per page and the text is always the same size, and is laid out exactly according to how the maker wanted.  This was an issue for me because I like to read with 30+ lines of text on the screen, yet most PDF's I've seen only have maybe 15.  If you think text reflow might work, all the programs on android at least, either remove any images, or hyphenate words, or just generally screw something up.

What I ended up doing on my phone was taking all the pdf's and using Calibre to convert them into epubs.  Calibre is a bit difficult to figure out at first, but on my page counts, I've condensed a 200 page pdf into an 80 page epub before.  I use a program called FBReader for older, less legal series, such s Haruhi and SAO, and there is a BakaTsuki reader app for anything that is hosted there.  I'm not sure how helpful this will be considering its on android, but I hope it at least gives some ideas.

Full disclosure, I really don't like the PDF format for reading because of how strict it is.

I may look into the epub and try a free pdf reader first to see if I am bothered by the smaller amount of lines per page. Not really looking for anything confusing on my phone. 

Is the bakatsuki reader app andriod only? Didn't see it on the iOS app store.