Which Visual were you most upset to see end?

Joshuam303

Well, frankly, I don't think everyone experiences the same amount of emotion, or lack thereof, as you do. The way you say it makes it seem like you assume that everyone else is just like you, even if I know you don't.

huh? confused haha

how? :D and i am on Alternative now ^.^

Enjoy the ride. Milk it. It's completely worthwhile. 

Well, frankly, I don't think everyone experiences the same amount of emotion, or lack thereof, as you do. The way you say it makes it seem like you assume that everyone else is just like you, even if I know you don't.

It was just a general statement. It could or could not apply to you, or them. Doesn't matter, really. I'm well aware it would have different effects on different people. Hell, some people might even feel elation. I did, even. If only in a twisted sense. It's also possible you'll even feel indifferent. 

Honestly, I think a lot of people would agree it's a great VN feels or no feels. Maybe not the greatest. At the end of the day, it is what it is. The interpretation is left up the viewer/reader.

But is that not the beauty of a well-crafted VN? To leave the reader speechless, wanting more or not wanting it at all, but satisfied, yet unsatisfied? Some VNs are full of feelings. Others are intellectual, and make you think about things. Some change you in very tiny aspects, while others change your worldview. Saya No Uta, for example.

(...) 999 is one i am planning on reading (its on my to read list) :)

I do not know where 999 is on your list, but move it to the top. Now.

Personally, my feeling about 999 and VLR is coined in this post:

1 Steins;Gate

(...) It's one of those "it's good that it ended but I didn't want it to end" kind of things.

And let us not forget the tragic demise of Zero Escape, 999 being one of the greatest games of all time, VLR being lackluster and depressing as it was.

Why did you hate VLR? (Given that it is my favorite game and all, I want to know. Just curious.)

kimi to kanojo to kanojo no koi it's one of my all time favorites when i completed it i felt sad and satisfied at the same time the thing is it was way too short for me i wish it was a little bit longer...

Rewrite: As my very first Japan-exclusive visual novel, not only has it been one hell of a ride but it was also magical, the more I read the more I craved, but once I've finished the Terra route and got to the very end I felt really sad because it ended when my mind was screaming for more. Of course all good things come to an end and that there is a fan-disk but......I don't know, I can't explain it. But all I can say is that this visual novel is one of my favourites.

I/O revision II: I haven't finished it yet but I'm 100% sure that I'll be sad once I finish reading I/O. The complex sci-fi story that hooks me in, great characters, one of the best soundtracks IMO (with my favourite opening song ever) and the art, all combined and blended which results in a drink that gave me a memorable taste I'll never forget. Of course I'll be very sad to drink those last few portions to finish it.

I do not know where 999 is on your list, but move it to the top. Now.

Personally, my feeling about 999 and VLR is coined in this post:

It was 3rd, first is alternative (which  i am reading) then 2nd was clannad because everyone seems to love it here, and then 3rd was 999 ^.^

I wasn't really upset, but now that I think back on it, I definitely wouldn't mind more Akatsuki no Goei. Even if it was just another fandisc, I wouldn't complain, since the great humour and likeable characters carry the series' slice-of-life moments perfectly.

As for a VN that almost ruined itself for me because of a rushed ending, then that'd definitely be MLA.That whole last mission segment was a mess. It was incredibly predictable, brought nothing new with it and absolutely buried any potential there was for an epic conclusion. I didn't really mind the ending that followed, though; and no, I'm not really planning on reading Altered Fable, because I found the Muv Luv characters honestly quite unlikeable with some very rare exceptions.

kimi to kanojo to kanojo no koi it's one of my all time favorites when i completed it i felt sad and satisfied at the same time the thing is it was way too short for me i wish it was a little bit longer...

Oh, you're completely right! I'd love it if there was more after the ending, but it'd probably get boring really quick with the interesting plot out of the equation.

Out of curiosity, who did you pick? I've stuck with Miyuki in the end, even though I was a huge dick to her in that loop part. It was especially hilarious to buy the same book over and over, she had a new complaint for that every single time.

:D But I feel like she deserved the good ending the most. :)

Oh, you're completely right! I'd love it if there was more after the ending, but it'd probably get boring really quick with the interesting plot out of the equation.

Out of curiosity, who did you pick? I've stuck with Miyuki in the end, even though I was a huge dick to her in that loop part. It was especially hilarious to buy the same book over and over, she had a new complaint for that every single time.

:D But I feel like she deserved the good ending the most. :)

i picked miyuki as well after all i did betray her...

:( she deserved to be happy

but the loop gave me a headache before i could figure it out it took 9 times to complete her "challenge"

but that game changed the way i'd look at a VN forever

Practically every VN I've finished. I get really attached to the characters of a story if I plan to invest that far into the story. Characters for me are what mainly drives a story. The plot could be boring and non-existent as all heck, but if I fall in love with that character, it's all worth it. But it's all the more sad to lose them on the very last page. 

A full one. I have my own criticisms for it myself, and I'd like to see if you have similar ones.

Well, it isn't that I didn't like VLR. I truly found it entertaining, actually. I've played so many games in my time, VNs and board games, strategies and action games, you name it, I've probably played it. Or am planning to play it. In any case, VLR was great, but it could never compare to 999. Especially because THEY BOTH HAD THE SAME PLOT.

And I can understand them wanting to place a few characters from the past here, I really can. I just don't get why they had to depress me so much with the conclusion of the story. Also, character reveals are extremely predictable. I can guarantee almost everyone who picked up VLR had played 999 before, and there aren't really any new plot points here, so all the secrets are already spoiled. That one part about Schrodinger's cat was great, but otherwise most of the game is recycled. Oh, and the bomb thing was annoying.

Also, in the first game, all the characters were interesting, and enjoyable. We have (I don't need a spoiler here) you, Junpei! The awesome and amazing Junpei! Clover, the enigmatic little sister, and her brother SOLID SNAKE (he's just that awesome), Ace the old lion (he's just... he looks so awesome, and he's awesome till the end),

even after he turns

and then there's the mountainous man Seven and the enigmatic untrustworthy number Nine, Lotus (I don't really remember her well), the amazing annoying Santa (starts out annoying, but he grows on you), and your standard issue, cliche childhood friend, June.

Of course, she's not so cliche when the game ends, is she?

Anyways, in the second game, the cast is: You, Sigma! Ah, Sigma, the famous Greek letter! Ah, Sigma, the cliche high school boy!

Except you're an old pervert who forgot how old he is.

Dio, the oh-so-obvious untrustworthy douche,

I thought he was a spy, why is he trying to stand out?

Quark, the annoying Santa stand-in, his father Tennouji, (YES, I KNOW IT'S TENMYOUJI)

(Who's obviously Junpei even before Sigma can tell)

twice as annoying as any Santa-Quark combo, Phi, the other Greek letter. I can tell Chunsoft is obsessed with Greek by now. It's amazing how interesting someone can get while being bland and boring at the same time, but Phi has achieved that level of ascension. Luna, the too-good-to-be-true, oh-so-perfect June stand-in,

(Later on you find it IS too good to be true), also Clover, the same one from 999!

Alice, the secret belly dancer (Just kidding, she's actually much deeper than that), K, the oh-so-obvious suspicious character.

The game tries to mislead you with his identity in one end, actually, and I thought that was brilliant. (Of course, it fooled me into thinking that Sigma himself was young, another point of the trap route)

We also have Zero III, or Zero Jr., the absolute worst addition to the game. He's annoying, he's stupid and clever at the same time, he's a discount Monokuma in a nutshell. The Ambidex Points were a GREAT addition to the game, and one of the best points of VLR in general. One thing I didn't like was how you needed BP points to escape instead of teamwork and partners. It was the absolute greatest point of 999 that you had to work together, not apart, to survive.

The Q Room was great, too.

I can say with absolute certainty that the third game, if it doesn't come up with something new, innovative, will be the worst.

Then there's also the fact that they used all 3D instead of sprites. GODDAMNIT CHUNSOFT.

stuff

***ZERO ESCAPE SPOILERS***

I cannot bother to precisely tag every spoiler, so here it goes. I agree that the character cast is lackluster compared to 999. Clover transforms from young innocent child(which I think was closer to Quark than Santa because of that) to a "common white girl with an iPhone 5 and loves to take selfies" , if we have to use real-life analogy. Tenmyouji was a grumpy old man who just cared about Quark. I think that June and Luna are both awesome, however. Junpei beats the crap out of Sigma in attitude, style and overall awesomeness. However, it seems that we have not yet learned all we will about Sigma, so that may change.  Personally, Junpei= Tenmyouji was the best twist for me. Zero III was out of the game too early in my honest opinion, and for no evident reason. Actually, I have seen many "Didn't play 999, will I enjoy VLR???" posts. Dio being an actual asshole was the most underwhelming "twist", since you discount him for being the culprit quickly by thinking "come on, it can't be that cheap", but you are wrong. I think Alice got her nipples welded into that necklace, because it would not stay on any other way. Or maybe she just works part-time as a stripper. Luna END was indeed as sad as 999's True End in my opinion, but Blue Bird Lamentation matches Morphogenetic Sorrow in no way in my opinion, still the best new track in VLR though of course.  It was confirmed that the characters in 999 and VLR were built off of nine character archetypes somewhere, which is probably why every character in one game corresponds to another character in the other game.

The music was alright, but the only memorable tracks were Morphogenetic Sorrow, Blue Bird Lamentation and Chill and Rigor(two of which are originally 999 tracks.). Also, come on, sometimes music-plot harmony was broken. Come on, during the 2072 twist, the track that plays is a calm background tune, when Chill and Rigor should have been played- this is in the True End.

Also, it is rather ironic that VLR had far less deaths, which were also not gruesome compared to 999's, when it was a game based on trust, betrayal, life and death. There was not even one timeline where someone actually got penalized halfway through and that made the atmosphere tense later on and created mistrust between the "players". I heard that that was because Japanese fans found 999 "too scary and gruesome"(which is weird, coming from the homeland of tentacle rape simulators). Thus, the atmosphere was lightened in VLR- "bombs" to "Soporil-Tubocucarine combo", less deaths, etc. In short, VLR was made to be lighter to make the Japanese fans happy.

That worked out so well, didn't it?

It worked out so well, in fact, they caused Zero Escape 3's development to be stopped. Yay.

<_<

***ZERO ESCAPE SPOILERS***

I cannot bother to precisely tag every spoiler, so here it goes. I agree that the character cast is lackluster compared to 999. Clover transforms from young innocent child(which I think was closer to Quark than Santa because of that) to a "common white girl with an iPhone 5 and loves to take selfies" , if we have to use real-life analogy. Tenmyouji was a grumpy old man who just cared about Quark. I think that June and Luna are both awesome, however. Junpei beats the crap out of Sigma in attitude, style and overall awesomeness. However, it seems that we have not yet learned all we will about Sigma, so that may change.  Personally, Junpei= Tenmyouji was the best twist for me. Zero III was out of the game too early in my honest opinion, and for no evident reason. Actually, I have seen many "Didn't play 999, will I enjoy VLR???" posts. Dio being an actual asshole was the most underwhelming "twist", since you discount him for being the culprit quickly by thinking "come on, it can't be that cheap", but you are wrong. I think Alice got her nipples welded into that necklace, because it would not stay on any other way. Or maybe she just works part-time as a stripper. Luna END was indeed as sad as 999's True End in my opinion, but Blue Bird Lamentation matches Morphogenetic Sorrow in no way in my opinion, still the best new track in VLR though of course.  It was confirmed that the characters in 999 and VLR were built off of nine character archetypes somewhere, which is probably why every character in one game corresponds to another character in the other game.

The music was alright, but the only memorable tracks were Morphogenetic Sorrow, Blue Bird Lamentation and Chill and Rigor(two of which are originally 999 tracks.). Also, come on, sometimes music-plot harmony was broken. Come on, during the 2072 twist, the track that plays is a calm background tune, when Chill and Rigor should have been played- this is in the True End.

Also, it is rather ironic that VLR had far less deaths, which were also not gruesome compared to 999's, when it was a game based on trust, betrayal, life and death. There was not even one timeline where someone actually got penalized halfway through and that made the atmosphere tense later on and created mistrust between the "players". I heard that that was because Japanese fans found 999 "too scary and gruesome"(which is weird, coming from the homeland of tentacle rape simulators). Thus, the atmosphere was lightened in VLR- "bombs" to "Soporil-Tubocucarine combo", less deaths, etc. In short, VLR was made to be lighter to make the Japanese fans happy.

That worked out so well, didn't it?

It worked out so well, in fact, they caused Zero Escape 3's development to be stopped. Yay.

<_<

Well, I have to disagree on the Dio point.

I thought right from the start "He's a bad guy, but he's not the Big Bad" (

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigBad).

And what's with the hypothesis about Alice's nipples? Makes no difference.

And I must agree Tennouji's big reveal was iconically great, even if I'd figured it out by then.

They were still shit characters. And they didn't even try with the OST, although I think that the normal OST was supposed to give a sense of normalcy, as if to say "Hey, everything you loved is gone now, despair while we tell you it's business as usual". Also, I wouldn't say all the characters correspond. Nobody in VLR corresponds with Ace. NOBODY.

Although Dio is a close match, he never fools you into thinking he's great.

And the truth is, most gamers are looking for adult games. They want them, whether consciously or subconsciously. Saya No Uta, for example, capitalized on that need (as do a LOT of eroges). Also, most people would not send a report saying "Hey, your game was gruesome and that's why I loved it", they would only write if they had a problem, like "Hey, your game had too much violence". It's why they were so biased in this decision.

Pretty much the majority of all the VNs I've read I didn't want them to end. It's hard to accept the end when you get so attached to the setting and characters, and especially so when immersed in the world within the VN. I'll practically imagine myself as the "MC" or someone existing in these "worlds", interacting with the characters and such as I please. This supposedly makes me very opinionated towards anything, as I could read a VN of general low-quality or pure slice-of-life with little substance and still regard it highly due to that ability.

The number one VN where I didn't want to even see the ending, that I had the most feelings for... would have to be Subarashiki Hibi, of course. First off, I was already so unhealthily obsessed with it in the beginning. But most importantly, I had only half of the feelings mentioned above for Subahibi, and the other half were towards another reason entirely that I cannot specify for various reasons. This mixture proved to be a bit too much for me in comparison to most of the other VNs I've read thus far, and I ended up dropping it right before the last chapter for months of time. Which then after, I marathon-ed the entire thing from the very beginning to the very end in one go.

Well, I half-understand you. However, for me it feels... For the MC, for myself, I must finish the VN. I cannot quit in the middle. It is a responsibility you partake when you decide to read. Even Yandere, which I regard to be the worst VN ever created, I never quit until I finished. I never skipped anything I hadn't read. I have to do it. It is my responsibility, my fault that I started the VN at all. Now I must end what I started. Thus, I have learnt how to use forums and read a VN at the same time, or play two VNs at once.

Well, I half-understand you. However, for me it feels... For the MC, for myself, I must finish the VN. I cannot quit in the middle. It is a responsibility you partake when you decide to read. Even Yandere, which I regard to be the worst VN ever created, I never quit until I finished. I never skipped anything I hadn't read. I have to do it. It is my responsibility, my fault that I started the VN at all. Now I must end what I started. Thus, I have learnt how to use forums and read a VN at the same time, or play two VNs at once.

i am similar :) once i have started even if its bad i will continue reading i have to finish what i started