Sekai Project Official Grisaia Translation?

douggle

Ha! I suggest pushing through a free rogue fan translation of the other games and this can fall flat on its face. I don't trust this project anymore

The guy who did the original fan translation is working with Sekai for the sequels, and his translation was half the appeal. There's not many groups hanging around the fan-tl scene that can translate at that calibre. Not to mention a new fan-translation would take a God-awful long time, or be rushed and dodgy.

The guy who did the original fan translation is working with Sekai for the sequels, and his translation was half the appeal. There's not many groups hanging around the fan-tl scene that can translate at that calibre. Not to mention a new fan-translation would take a God-awful long time, or be rushed and dodgy.

^ This.  From what I've heard, just reading Kajitsu untranslated is hard, but translating it while keeping the same style is just ridiculously difficult.  So many synonyms, and each one has a different connotation...man, I'm glad I'm not a translator, I'd go insane trying to make it perfect.

But yeah, the only way the sequels will get fan-TL'd is if Sekai's Kickstarter goes down in flames and nobody licenses it again for a very long time.  Even then it wouldn't be a sure thing.  Other than that, it's their product or the highway if things go badly, unfortunately.

The Kickstarter for Grisaia will be launched this late Monday evening (PST) and expected to run through the end of January.

Update: Some (unofficial) info regarding the 18+ version by koestl :

-It won't be happening through Sekai Project, but through a "third party"

-There will hopefully be an official announcement during the KS campaign, once everyone involved agrees.

-Discounts for KS backers: Yes. Details TBD.

-Decensored CGs: Possible. Physical Release: Possible. DRM: Should be none.

"There will be...

Possible, should be..."

meh, really disappointed, I will back it (maybe I'm not sure but I really really want to see the trilogy translated) but if they don't say anything regarding the +18 version or a free copy later on (or 80% discount) I will cancel my pledge, this is a really shitty thing to do on a kickstarter campaign but they leave me no other choice.

"There will be...

Possible, should be..."

meh, really disappointed, I will back it (maybe I'm not sure but I really really want to see the trilogy translated) but if they don't say anything regarding the +18 version or a free copy later on (or 80% discount) I will cancel my pledge, this is a really shitty thing to do on a kickstarter campaign but they leave me no other choice.

Honestly, what pisses me off the most is that the future of the 18+ versions will be decided by the success of the all-ages' Kickstarter campaign.  If you're going to have them be separate products, have separate Kickstarters.  Thought that would be obvious, but I guess not...I mean, there's downsides to that, but it makes sense with the logic FW is using.

Frontwing wont let them do that honestly this whole thing is FUBAR

Frontwing, y u do dis?  Seriously, I'm getting tired of them trying to treat the US market like the Japanese market.  There is a greater market for the 18+ version than the all-ages version, if the posts here and on the Prefundia page are to be believed, so I have no idea why the all-ages version is the main focus.  I hope Frontwing learns something from this, and that Sekai will be more vocal next time.  When situations like this happen, you should try and get things sorted out as quickly as possible with transparency being the focus, or you risk pissing people off.

Frontwing just wants to make the greatest maximum profit hence why they're pushing the all ages version cause they seem to think that the market is greater for all ages content. while in a way they are right ALOT of people on this site would rather read all ages then 18+

Frontwing just wants to make the greatest maximum profit hence why they're pushing the all ages version cause they seem to think that the market is greater for all ages content. while in a way they are right ALOT of people on this site would rather read all ages then 18+

It might come back to bit them in the ass if the Kickstarter doesn't go as well as they expected because they're using the 17+ version. 

True, but, I mean, the original VN was 18+.  They had to add on extra content just to give people a reason to buy it, since it's basically a censored version of the original.  If I heard right, they censored parts of Amane's route that had nothing to do with sex in the all-ages Vita release, so...that's mostly what I'm ticked off about.  I don't want a partial product, I want the complete product.  koestl said that they'll try to restore the edited non-sexual content, but he's unable to make promises, which I know isn't his fault, but still is extremely annoying.  That's why people don't like abridged copies of books; there's no point in getting them when the unabridged copy exists.  I can't deny that the all-ages release got people interested in it that otherwise wouldn't have cared, but from what I've heard, most people want to get a legal copy of the 18+ version, save the people that only read all-ages VNs.

It might come back to bite them in the ass if the Kickstarter doesn't go as well as they expected because they're using the 17+ version. 

If that does happen, at least koestl will most likely fan-translate them, and Frontwing will learn a valuable lesson.  I don't want that to happen, but at least there'd be some upsides to that situation.

True, but, I mean, the original VN was 18+.  They had to add on extra content just to give people a reason to buy it, since it's basically a censored version of the original.  If I heard right, they censored parts of Amane's route that had nothing to do with sex in the all-ages Vita release, so...that's mostly what I'm ticked off about.  I don't want a partial product, I want the complete product.  koestl said that they'll try to restore the edited non-sexual content, but he's unable to make promises, which I know isn't his fault, but still is extremely annoying.  That's why people don't like abridged copies of books; there's no point in getting them when the unabridged copy exists.  I can't deny that the all-ages release got people interested in it that otherwise wouldn't have cared, but from what I've heard, most people want to get a legal copy of the 18+ version, save the people that only read all-ages VNs.

If that does happen, at least koestl will most likely fan-translate them, and Frontwing will learn a valuable lesson.  I don't want that to happen, but at least there'd be some upsides to that situation.

Honestly, I'm kind of both sides with this issue, mainly because as a Grisaia fan that is under 18 and still lives with her parents, I would have been forced to support the all-ages release instead of the 18+ one regardless of what Frontwing and SP decided. So while this decision actually helps me when it comes to getting a hard copy of one of my favorite VNs, I can still completely understand why people who have the option and would prefer to pay for the adult version are frustrated regarding the lack of information. The fact that there's so little confirmed when the Kickstarter is tomorrow is pretty bad planning on the parts of the people involved. So i guess I'm just kind of conflicted on this issue. I'm going to support it regardless, though, since it looks like I can do so now.

koestl: "The 18+ version is conditional on the M-rated version being funded. If the M-rated version is not released, the 18+ won't be either."

So yeah if they screw us over in the long run then fine that's a risk with kickstarter for any project, but as I've said before I'm going to take a chance. I like the game enough that I'm willing to risk it. If we don't manage to get it to succeed then we never have a chance for this franchise or any other games from Frontwing getting released here. This may be an initially bad plan but then this is also an opportunity. If the kickstarter succeeds we will get the M-rated version and the 18+ version (might come a little later...it does take time to translate H-scenes despite what people might think) but grisaia is not the only game we can get out of it. We will get Japan's recognition that we are willing to pay for visual novels and thus other visual novel companies might take interest. Key and Frontwing are pretty big companies this will not go unnoticed in Japan's visual novel industry. There is also an idea going around that Frontwing is specifically making two separate products the M-rated version and the 18+ version as separate products in order to see sales results on the two. See how many people are willing to buy the 18+ version separately from the M-rated version. This is the first time something like this has been done so this is a good time to look at results and studies of sales...if it succeeds. The 18+ scenes can be added in via a patch later if nothing comes of it but the translation for the other 2 games will take a long time if they ever were able to be released via fan translation and it's possible it might not happen at all. Koestl is the translator and can do a good job on this translation as we've seen. Hell if this succeeds we get 2 games we didn't have access to before, uncensored cgs (probably), and the recognition of japan's visual novel industry. Hell Key is a big visual novel company and so is Frontwing...even if I'm not exactly ecstatic about how this is being done, making it succeed will mean seeing more vns outside of Japan and isn't that the goal of visual novel fans?

The kickstarter seems likely to begin the 15th late evening if twitter is accurate. let's see this game get proper support not for this game alone but for the chance of future interests outside of Japan.

Hmm I was planning on getting the physical trilogy but from the posts I'm not so sure. I just might though since I realllllly want Idol Mahou Shoujo Chiruchiru ☆ Michiru to be translated. Chiruchiru is best girl after all.

Also can someone give a dumbed down explanation of their plan for the All - ages and then 18+  version on their website or something? I haven't been keeping up with anything lately so a bit lost.

I was hoping for a little more clarity regarding the 18+ version, but I'll end up funding it in some form anyway. I'm not sure what tier though anymore. I was originally interested in funding up to the physical trilogy level, but I'm not so sure anymore.