Visual Novels and Polygomy (harem)

babiker

I've been meaning to start this topic for a while now. Since some VN's have harem endings, (or at least that’s what I heard), and for those of you who have played them, did the concept effect your belief about polygamy? As most westerners believe it's wrong.  Whether it be negative or positive, I would like to hear how people who have grown up all there lives believing that having more than one wife/girlfriend at the same time is a crime worthy of lawful punishment, view there beliefs after trying one of these endings. (After the saya no uta thread, I'm convinced that VN's can do wonders to peoples biliefs ;) )

3329980383_9238f1f2c2.jpg

And also, if you can recommend me any good VN's with harem endings, that would be much appreciated. :) (in english)

Men who marry more wives live longer on average

Who doesn't want to live longer?

Only if your body can handle them.

I heard the news about Nigeria's business man was literally raped to dead by his wives several day ago.

he was having sex with his 6th wife when another 5 wives forced entry and demand him to satisfy them too with knife and other weapon.

And during the session with 4th wife (5th session), he got heart attack and die.

After that, 5 of them escaped, 2 of them were charged for raped.

Could it be harem (bad) end? :P

Isn't polygamy illegal in japan too?

You only have 1 legal wife but it doesn't mean you can't have concubines, The law doesn't support that.

Oh well at least he died happy.

The only harem ending that I know of and experienced myself was Rakuen (don't think Sharin no Kuni counts, it's more like a bonus ending) And I'm currently playing Yumina the Ethereal and I read that it also has a harem ending (guess it will be also a bonus ending)

So as for my liking: why not? I enjoy both individual and harem ending  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And for poligamy I think practically speaking is kinda of weird but I don't have a specific opinion about it. I guessed by the previous post that the situation may exist but I doubt that it would be all fantasy and lovey-dovey like anime/vn *insert other media not listed*

Could it be harem (bad) end? :P

He made the mistake of getting into the Yandere harem route. 

As for my beliefs, they haven't been changed by VN's that much. I go for the live and let live policy, be it for polygamy, same sex marriage or whatever. It doesn't effect me so let the ones that want it have it.

Islam allows polygamy, you can legally have 4 wives "IF" you can take care of them.

And I'm not Islam, and I live in monogamy society.

To find one in the real life is too hard for me, don't even think about find the second or third. T^T 

Real world is really unfair! 

Most pre-Christianity cultures were polygamous.  If you had the wealth and means to support a large family with multiple wives, you were actually expected to do so, as your duty to the community.  Rulers especially were expected to have multiple wives and concubines.  Poor people with harems... not a chance.  You have to have wealth and/or other means of support to have multiple wives, practically speaking.  Monogamy is a relatively recent invention, from a historical perspective.

Islam allows polygamy, you can legally have 4 wives "IF" you can take care of them.

To find one in the real life is too hard for me, don't even think about find the second or third. T^T

Real world is really unfair!

Correct. Most islamic countries allow having up to 4 wives, though i have no idea how that nigirean manedged to get 6. Sounds more like a fake story to me.

Plus its called "im not muslim".

Also i must point out that wile muslims are aloud more than one wife, they hardly ever go that far. Only insanely rich people usually have the ability so sustain such a huge family.

Most pre-Christianity cultures were polygamous. If you had the wealth and means to support a large family with multiple wives, you were actually expected to do so, as your duty to the community. Rulers especially were expected to have multiple wives and concubines. Poor people with harems... not a chance. You have to have wealth and/or other means of support to have multiple wives, practically speaking. Monogamy is a relatively recent invention, from a historical perspective.

Yep. It is even believed that David had 100 wives+concubines, and Solomon had 1000! Christians were living the life, that is untill priests started adding and changing there religion as they see fit. What a dissapointment...

Oh yeah, this question just came to ne: In the countrys that ban polygomy, is there a punishment for it?

It's just not possible to marry at all, so it isn't acknowledged legally (thus your extra wives/husbands can't get benefits).  At least, that's the way it is in the US.  Also, in Japan.

never really played any VN with harem endings but the thing is why would you want more than one wife in real life?

i really don't understand people who marry more than one he's just giving himself a big headache there will be jealousy between the two wifes not to mention that one can never treat them equally 

As you say that you haven't read any harem endings you probably don't know that there are two types of them.

First type of harem ending is when you don't pick up any girl and many girls like protagonist and are fighting over him. Those endings are rare in VNs but are very common in anime, and true a lot people don't like them as they prefer "closed romance ending" I myself think that in some stories they are the best option. One translated VN that has this as one of it's endings is Sharin no Kuni.

Second type of harem endings is what you had in mind, protagonist ending being in relationship with more then one girl at a same time. Those endings are mostly for nukiges, or hard comedies so they are most of the times not something you should take too seriously. However there are sometimes harem endings in more serious stories too true they are more rare. And true I am in general against the idea they are usually done in a meaner where you will support them in the end. If protagonist seriously loves all of them a lot and they all love him back and they are all ok with him being with all of them as they love each other too as friends and they want all of them to be happy, well I guess in that situation there is noting wrong with it. True in real life I doubt that such situation could happen and guy would probably just be using those girls and because of it I am still against it in real life but if it did actually happen in real life in the same way as in anime/VN I wouldn't have anything against it. True there is no full harem ending VNs in English there is one where in one of the routes protagonist end up with two girls and it's Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete.

PS: I know that you are against H-scenes I am too (I probably hate them most on this forum, maybe even in the whole world), but if you decide to read Kono Oozora I suggest that you add H-scenes restoration patch, not because H-scenes themselves but because of better translation and because of other originally censored scenes in localized version such as kisses, hugs and jokes.

As you say that you haven't read any harem endings you probably don't know that there are two types of them.

First type of harem ending is when you don't pick up any girl and many girls like protagonist and are fighting over him. Those endings are rare in VNs but are very common in anime, and true a lot people don't like them as they prefer "closed romance ending" I myself think that in some stories they are the best option. One translated VN that has this as one of it's endings is Sharin no Kuni.

Second type of harem endings is what you had in mind, protagonist ending being in relationship with more then one girl at a same time. Those endings are mostly for nukiges, or hard comedies so they are most of the times not something you should take too seriously. However there are sometimes harem endings in more serious stories too true they are more rare. And true I am in general against the idea they are usually done in a meaner where you will support them in the end. If protagonist seriously loves all of them a lot and they all love him back and they are all ok with him being with all of them as they love each other too as friends and they want all of them to be happy, well I guess in that situation there is noting wrong with it. True in real life I doubt that such situation could happen and guy would probably just be using those girls and because of it I am still against it in real life but if it did actually happen in real life in the same way as in anime/VN I wouldn't have anything against it. True there is no full harem ending VNs in English there is one where in one of the routes protagonist end up with two girls and it's Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete.

PS: I know that you are against H-scenes I am too (I probably hate them most on this forum, maybe even in the whole world), but if you decide to read Kono Oozora I suggest that you add H-scenes restoration patch, not because H-scenes themselves but because of better translation and because of other originally censored scenes in localized version such as kisses, hugs and jokes.

Hmmm, well aren't I lucky? i just strarted sharin no kuni. the only problem i have with it so far is that its seems waaaaaaaaaaaay too looooooooooooong. but besides that awesome VN. And id probably give those VN's a try, but it seems I'll have to learn japanese to get any real harem endings...what a bother...

Hmmm, well aren't I lucky? i just strarted sharin no kuni. the only problem i have with it so far is that its seems waaaaaaaaaaaay too looooooooooooong. but besides that awesome VN. And id probably give those VN's a try, but it seems I'll have to learn japanese to get any real harem endings...what a bother...

You think Sharin no Kuni is long? Lol, dude, you picking freaking Rewrite as your first VN ever, didn't you? ^_^

You think Sharin no Kuni is long? Lol, dude, you picking freaking Rewrite as your first VN ever, didn't you? ^_^

It wasnt my first, but it was the first i completed 100%. Its just with sharin, i didnt expect it to be this long...

And anyways, rewrites different. It has a way of sucking you in, is addicting as hell, and you have to read the hole thing to understand the hole picture. While i'm not saying sharin is bad, but i can read, like 3 other vns at the same time. At the moment i'm reading:1-sharin no kuni,2-fate/stay night,3-little busters,4-planetarian. And while i know its not such a good idea to read more than one VN at the same time, it's more fate that forced me to such a despirate state...

But anywhay, im getting off topic. Have you ever read any harem endings, Ashadow?

No not at all, it's average length, like Ashadow said Rewrite is far longer, at least double maybe even triple times longer.  If you like it I recommend you read G-senjou no Maou next it's from the same writer but it's a lot better (I am not saying that Sharin no Kuni is bad true.)

As for learning Japanese I think you have to do it sooner or latter if you plan to read a VNs for a long time.

Also you might want to create a VNDB profile if you don't have it already and put it under your avatar here so people can easier recommend you VNs.

But back on the topic I think you have to read at least one serious harem ending (Or harem-like ending) to know what it's all about as it's probably wery different from your idea of harem ending.

It wasnt my first, but it was the first i completed 100%. Its just with sharin, i didnt expect it to be this long...

And anyways, rewrites different. It has a way of sucking you in, is addicting as hell, and you have to read the hole thing to understand the hole picture. While i'm not saying sharin is bad, but i can read, like 3 other vns at the same time. At the moment i'm reading:1-sharin no kuni,2-fate/stay night,3-little busters,4-planetarian. And while i know its not such a good idea to read more than one VN at the same time, it's more fate that forced me to such a despirate state...

But anywhay, im getting off topic. Have you ever read any harem endings, Ashadow?

Uhhhhhmmm.... now that you mention it.....other then the one in Sharin no Kuni, no.... no I haven't.  :blink:

I can only assume harem endings are a bit more of an anime-thing, since with VNs 95% of the time you can just give each girl her own route. I've heard school days have some harem endings, though I wouldn't recommend that game for completely different reasons.

^Indeed, as mentioned above, School Days, the visual novel, does have harem endings. Both good and bad.

The bad endings show a nastier side to the harem, the one about where them man is a sex-driven scoundrel. The probably more 'realistic' side of things.

Even the good endings aren't all sunshine and rainbows, but yes, it's supposedly a good ending. (Since nobody murders each other)  

If you want a 'realistic' harem, this is the way to go. Otherwise, beware of this game.

My views on polygamy have not changed because of harems. Mainly because harems are usually incredibly unrealistic.

Like Clephas said it's only realisticly possible to have multiple wives/girlfriends with enough wealth to support such a family.

Moreover all the people involved would need to agree to it or esle it's just abuse. And given most people's mentality it is unlikely to happen. Not to mention the law forbids benefits to more than one wife.

However polyamurous relationships are a thing (several girlfriends/boyfriends) and are probably the closest one could get to having a harem in real life. But you'll have to live with the fact you can't marry your girlfriends/boyfriends. And from what i read a lot of these polyamurous relationships are more about taking turns than anything else so it's not like you're all sleeping in the same bed for example. But hey welcome to real life.

Harems in the 2D world can be a fun ending to have since it gives you an overall sense of success but i prefer to just have my favorite heroine and dedicate my time to her :P

Also because i rarely ever like all heroines. I wish there was a vn that let you build your harem to your preferences.

Also you might want to create a VNDB profile if you don't have it already and put it under your avatar here so people can easier recommend you VNs.

Form some reason VNDB is blocked in my country (ridiculess, i know). While i can figure out a way to unblock it, and i probably will eventually, but for the mean time I don't think its worth the hassle.

My views on polygamy have not changed because of harems. Mainly because harems are usually incredibly unrealistic.

Like Clephas said it's only realisticly possible to have multiple wives/girlfriends with enough wealth to support such a family.

Moreover all the people involved would need to agree to it or esle it's just abuse. And given most people's mentality it is unlikely to happen. Not to mention the law forbids benefits to more than one wife.

However polyamurous relationships are a thing (several girlfriends/boyfriends) and are probably the closest one could get to having a harem in real life. But you'll have to live with the fact you can't marry your girlfriends/boyfriends. And from what i read a lot of these polyamurous relationships are more about taking turns than anything else so it's not like you're all sleeping in the same bed for example. But hey welcome to real life.

Harems in the 2D world can be a fun ending to have since it gives you an overall sense of success but i prefer to just have my favorite heroine and dedicate my time to her :P

Also because i rarely ever like all heroines. I wish there was a vn that let you build your harem to your preferences.

Hmmm... strangely enough I see people havn't realy changed their opinions on this matter. I suppose thast mainly because VN's seem to use harems more as a comedic or imaginery setting. After all, it would be strange if it werent like this, seeing that the Japanese have no more exp with real multiple wives than westerners.

Olthough, I would like to point out that its not allways so tuff and hard to support a harem. My own grandfather, believe it or not, had two wives. And while i haven't really met my grandmother in person, may she rest in peace, but from hearing from my family she was the happiest grandmother around.

But of course, this was a long time ago, when it wasnt so hard to support large familys. Even in the middle east, having more than one wife has become a delight on for the insanely rich.

I have also met a classmate once that has more the one mother. I can tell you from my expirience that such familys tend to be in chaos; but not all the time, and there are some benifits to it too. This classmate? He was the most stuck up kid in the hole school, but no one could lay a finger on him, because he had like 9 brothers attending the same school. More mothers=lots of kids. Mess with them and its GAME OVER. :wacko: