VN vs Anime

Snowtsuku

VN... without a doubt.

Comparing a VN to an anime is like comparing a Novel to a movie, most likely you'll never feel the same message the author truly wanted you to understand.

The people who believe that the Anime is way better than the VN feel more better watching it than reading it, vice versa.

Clannad for example, many people found it confusing when it had reached it end, I've read the VN only once to understand what it meant.

Though this is simply just my understanding of it.

The one you see first will be the one most to your liking I think, because that's the way you'll get to know the characters, setting and plot. Anything else tacked on afterwards just seems either out of character or out of place.

Not saying this is always so, but exceptions acknowledge the rule ;)

The one you see first will be the one most to your liking I think, because that's the way you'll get to know the characters, setting and plot. Anything else tacked on afterwards just seems either out of character or out of place.

Not saying this is always so, but exceptions acknowledge the rule wink.gif

I always watch the anime first but always find the VN better. That's just me.

In the cases where I have watched the anime first I always end up finding the VN better. The only anime I have ever preferred to the VN is Clannad and I read the VN way before I watched the anime.

There are times that I read the visual novel first but I find myself dropping the anime :/

Well like I already mentioned on first site, then you compare VN and VN based anime, the original is always better.

However I now stood before difficult problem, I wanted to watch an anime, I had a feeling to watch some.

But for a damn few hours of asking everyone I know I didn't find ANY other anime series as impactful end emotional as Angel Beats and Anohana. I found that most of the anime is just comedy or action where as for drama you probably need VN (or book if you are ok with non-voiced and no music and no visuals). And all the recommendations I got are VN based animes...

So to compare straight VN and Anime, for me VNs just win on every aspect except comedy, there is more comedy in anime. But for serious stuff, drama etc, impactful emotional blasts, there is very little of it (except those based on VN).

I think that Anime's hold their ground for being a worthy competitor of a VN. I've rarely seen an Anime win over a VN though I believe in the near future Anime would soon have to upper hand. If technology continues to speed up the way it is now going, the overall experience that an Anime can create will be limitless. So bottom line is that even though VN's currently have the advantage Anime's have the potential to pass them.

@Steve: you shouldn't search in animes what you find in VNs. If what you're looking for is stuff like Angel Beats and AnoHana, then just stick with VNs: those type of stories usually relie heavily on character development and slice of life immersion (which is why I didn't find Angel Beats memorable). VNs are outstandingly appropriate for that.

However, animes can't be reduced down to just comedy. There are tons of other genres in animes you can hardly find in VNs, and I can only encourage you to check them out :)

On the VN vs Anime adaptation debate, I've never seen an adaptation of a VN be better than the original, mainly for the reasons I mentioned earlier I think.

I still think an adaptation can be better than the original though (see Kara no Kyoukai or Nichijou)

@Steve: you shouldn't search in animes what you find in VNs. If what you're looking for is stuff like Angel Beats and AnoHana, then just stick with VNs: those type of stories usually relie heavily on character development and slice of life immersion (which is why I didn't find Angel Beats memorable). VNs are outstandingly appropriate for that.

However, animes can't be reduced down to just comedy. There are tons of other genres in animes you can hardly find in VNs, and I can only encourage you to check them out smile.gif

Yeah that's what I meant by that, for me the VNs are just better because they have the genres I want.

I know there is lot of anime genres but I don't enjoy most of those.

I don't really like horror, violence, action (I mean I enjoy action parts in like fate/zero but the overall feel from that anime is more diplomacy, politics etc and that I do like, I disliked the first episode of Full metal alchemist Brotherhood for example, for me there was too much focus on the fighting), don't really like mecha. So that usually leaves me comedy SoL romance. And from those the ones that have tragedy aspects are usually the VN based (with the exception of AB and anohana) :)

So if you have a good recommendation please say, you can check my votes http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?uid=517925&show=myvotes&orderby.vote=0.2&orderby.name=1.1&do=anime

Well like I already mentioned on first site, then you compare VN and VN based anime, the original is always better.

However I now stood before difficult problem, I wanted to watch an anime, I had a feeling to watch some.

But for a damn few hours of asking everyone I know I didn't find ANY other anime series as impactful end emotional as Angel Beats and Anohana. I found that most of the anime is just comedy or action where as for drama you probably need VN (or book if you are ok with non-voiced and no music and no visuals). And all the recommendations I got are VN based animes...

So to compare straight VN and Anime, for me VNs just win on every aspect except comedy, there is more comedy in anime. But for serious stuff, drama etc, impactful emotional blasts, there is very little of it (except those based on VN).

There are times though that I find a visual novel funnier than the anime xD

I think the VNs are better than the anime in most cases

When I read Majikoi, it was waaaaay better than the anime, and the same with Clannad.

The good thing about VNs is that you can choose the route you want to take (or take them all), but in the anime they stay with the true route, or they make up a route where nothing happens.

I really hate those animes that finish with nothing happening.

I guess it's like comparing a book with the movie, the book is always better.

I think the VNs are better than the anime in most cases

When I read Majikoi, it was waaaaay better than the anime, and the same with Clannad.

The good thing about VNs is that you can choose the route you want to take (or take them all), but in the anime they stay with the true route, or they make up a route where nothing happens.

I really hate those animes that finish with nothing happening.

I guess it's like comparing a book with the movie, the book is always better.

There are times though that I prefer an anime to have an open end :P