Gamestop New games (opened/unsealed)

Cyrillej1

Today, I went to Gamestop to buy a new game.. and there was only one copy left on the shelf apparently so they were going to give me that one.

I guess I'm just super picky, but I refused to buy it since it was opened/had a sticker on it and such.. and I was paying full price for it anyways.  I just don't like the idea of it being opened if I'm buying it brand new. If it was pre-owned, of course I wouldn't care.

Annoyingly, when I refused to buy it, the worker there was trying to convince me it was new.. I know what new means!   :blink:

It's also because I wasn't in a hurry to get the game, so was willing to buy it elsewhere properly sealed or order online.

Do you guys buy gamestop new games opened like that? Just kinda curious about people's thoughts on it.

I bought used games at gamestop but not at full price.

If a game has been opened it is not worth retail price and if they were trying to sell you it at retail price well they're not doing a good job (well theoretically they are since the inflated price would earn them more money but morally and i believe legally they re not). So no you didn't do anything wrong, I'd have done the same probably.

Maybe i'd ask to check the CD for scratches. If i really wanted the game and it had no scratches then i'd consider it. If it was damaged in any way then no

I bought used games at gamestop but not at full price.

If a game has been opened it is not worth retail price and if they were trying to sell you it at retail price well they're not doing a good job (well theoretically they are since the inflated price would earn them more money but morally and i believe legally they re not). So no you didn't do anything wrong, I'd have done the same probably.

Maybe i'd ask to check the CD for scratches. If i really wanted the game and it had no scratches then i'd consider it. If it was damaged in any way then no

There shouldn't be any problems legally, since you can sell your stuff for whatever price you want to. Unless they were saying the game was never opened and it was, on which case it's a scam.

There shouldn't be any problems morally as well (unless it actually was a scam), I can't see how trying to sell something at a high price would be evil.

Well, I don't buy them. Yar-har, fiddle-dee-dee, being a pirate is alright to be, do what you want 'cause a pirate is free! you are a pirate~

There shouldn't be any problems legally, since you can sell your stuff for whatever price you want to. Unless they were saying the game was never opened and it was, on which case it's a scam.

There shouldn't be any problems morally as well (unless it actually was a scam), I can't see how trying to sell something at a high price would be evil.

Well, I don't buy them. Yar-har, fiddle-dee-dee, being a pirate is alright to be, do what you want 'cause a pirate is free! you are a pirate~

To me a legit game store trying to sell an opened game at full retail price is pretty shady.

Well whatever the law i wouldn't buy it in these circumstances just because it feels like a scam even if it isn't one.

But like you said, do whatever you want. I'd probably bite if it was a game i wanted desperately.

never buy anythin from gamestop(i`m in ozzie btw) so mostly from Ebgames n Jb-hifi.

and yes i wont buy new games like that, if i wanna spen my 60 to 90+ dollars for a new game of course i wanna the game in optimal condition."
for preowned hm....its diff story but yes i really dont mind about the condition except scratches on the disk.

Yeah, I may have bought it if it was a really rare game I couldn't find anywhere else. But the game just recently released, so I could easily get it elsewhere instead of paying full price for an opened one.

I went in to buy it 'new' and did not expect them to give me an opened copy, and that's why it did not seem right. So it almost felt like being tricked into paying the same price for something of lesser condition, when I could get it same price elsewhere factory sealed. I think most people would be unhappy to be given something that seemed used when they payed full price for something they thought was new.

never buy anythin from gamestop(i`m in ozzie btw) so mostly from Ebgames n Jb-hifi.

and yes i wont buy new games like that, if i wanna spen my 60 to 90+ dollars for a new game of course i wanna the game in optimal condition."

for preowned hm....its diff story but yes i really dont mind about the condition except scratches on the disk.

I agree.

Yeah I actually recently went to gamestop and they sold me a game that had a sticker that said it was new, but when I popped in the game it said I couldn't earn trophies because it was linked to another console... wat. I called gamestop because I wanted a refund because they sold me a product that was clearly not new and the best compromise they would do is swap the game for a "real" new game, and not give me my money back for shady business.

Gamestop makes their money from people who buy new games, sell the games back to them for dirt cheap, and then mark it up 200-400%. They only offered my $8 for my Battlefield 4 game I was trying to sell, and they were selling it on the shelf used for $40. Seriously crazy how they will sell the game for that much and only offer me $8.

This isn't the first time they tried to sell me an opened copy new. I was taken by surprise the first time.. so I just bought it since they already charged me.. and I didn't want to deal with the extra hassle. It was supposed to be a 'NEW' copy of Fable 3 for the xbox, and the box copy on the shelf was so grubby, had scratches, with bunch of stickers on it.. I took it to the counter thinking they'd switch it for the new sealed game, but they ended up just putting the new disc into the cruddy used box and I had to pay the 'new' price for it. That pissed me off so much, and that's when I became more aware they did such things.. which is why this time, I paid attention and refused to buy it if it was opened.

That sucks they did that to you.. yeah, they can be pretty shady. That's why I won't buy any opened 'new' copies from them anymore (unless I can't find it anywhere, even online... then I'd have to settle).

Yeah, that's why I rather keep my games then sell them to gamestop... If I know it sells for more, I'd just keep and try to sell it online or something.

Just kinda annoys me that they do stuff like this... if it's opened, they should at least mark it down a little to make up for it instead of trying to sell it 'brand new'

Edit: Here's a picture of the game. You can see the sticker that says it was "New" is dirty and placed over another sticker which probably said used. I probably should have paid more attention when I bought it though so I guess it's half my fault. 

tEozOlL.jpg

That's pretty bad. You may be right about them putting a NEW sticker onto the USED sticker. Probably because it's hard to tell with a vita game cartridge anyways. At least with a disc, you can see scratches more easily.  I hate the stickers they put on the games too... it leaves marks on the box and looks old, especially if it's been on there a long time.  That's how they sold the Fable 3 game box to me too, and it also had scratches on it.

Or this could have been why your code was already used :o Kotaku - Gamestop sells played games as new

That's why you pre-order.  If you pre-order and pick it up in a timely manner, you get your sealed game. 

In any case, every used game retailer I've been to does it differently.  One marked it down by five percent for it being open and another basically took photos of the cover and stuck them in empty cases. 

I'm going to take a turn in the conversation and instead discuss Sofmap from Japan. Sofmap is essentially the same as Gamestop when it comes to selling used games, however for visual novels it's actually pretty interesting considering the "second-hand" hard copies look brand new. I bought Cocoro@Function! used for 6,000 yen ($60.00), where the new copy was 8,000 yen ($80.00). Needless to say they both contained the exact same stuff and my copy looked brand new when I opened it. The disk was clean and had 0 scratches on it, the instruction manual looked unopened, etc.

In Gamestop's case, the used games I buy always had torn instruction manuals, or they were missing. The case looked like crap and the disk was worn as well.

With a lot of the Japanese second-hand shops, the gamers who sell them are people who bought multiple copies for the shop tokuten and then sold them unopened to the second-hand shop.  The more fanatical otaku gamers will buy five or six copies of the same game, keep one, display one, and sell the rest after getting the shop tokuten.

I actually just did this a couple weeks ago with my copy of Danganronpa (yes I have the game without a Vita XD).  I tend to avoid it but I was getting such a good deal I couldn't complain.   I agree with Clephas that pre-ordering is the way to go if you want the game new.  If I don't want it immediately I usually pick it up used later when the price has dropped significantly (for example SMT 4 is now down to 20 bucks new instead of 50, time to act  :) )

I find that Gamestop has great trade in deals from time to time (aka 40% toward X) so I usually wait for those and trade in then.  I've been selling a lot of older stuff at the Exchange lately and getting pretty good money (close to ebay standards).  N64 games are worth a lot. XD

Guest sakanaとkoeda

I stopped doing business with Gamestop long ago; they just gave off a seedy vibe that I couldn't shake ~_~

And their offers weren't too great tbh. Amazon's my bff for new games nowadays.

I actually just did this a couple weeks ago with my copy of Danganronpa (yes I have the game without a Vita XD).  I tend to avoid it but I was getting such a good deal I couldn't complain.   I agree with Clephas that pre-ordering is the way to go if you want the game new.  If I don't want it immediately I usually pick it up used later when the price has dropped significantly (for example SMT 4 is now down to 20 bucks new instead of 50, time to act  :) )

I find that Gamestop has great trade in deals from time to time (aka 40% toward X) so I usually wait for those and trade in then.  I've been selling a lot of older stuff at the Exchange lately and getting pretty good money (close to ebay standards).  N64 games are worth a lot. XD

I do like buying pre-owned games from Gamestop, because their prices can be really cheap & they have a larger collection of games compared to other local stores around.

I know I should have pre-ordered, but I wasn't in a rush to get it. It's not that big of a deal, since I know I can just buy it elsewhere, but I mostly made this topic because :P I wanted to rant how annoying they can be when they try to pass off a opened game as new.. and wondered if it happened to others. I usually just buy new games on amazon now, or if I'm really sure I want it, I do pre-order it ahead of time.

I stopped doing business with Gamestop long ago; they just gave off a seedy vibe that I couldn't shake ~_~

And their offers weren't too great tbh. Amazon's my bff for new games nowadays.

The only deals I like from them are usually the buy 2 preowned, get 1 free deal they sometimes have.

That's why you pre-order.  If you pre-order and pick it up in a timely manner, you get your sealed game. 

In any case, every used game retailer I've been to does it differently.  One marked it down by five percent for it being open and another basically took photos of the cover and stuck them in empty cases. 

No!  Never pre-order!  Why pay full price for something when you have NO idea what it's going to be like?  Look at watch dogs, it was a colossal LIE.

Also with the glory of PC gaming I never have to go back to gamestop again.  Last time I did was to sell a large amount of games I just didn't play anymore, they were planning on giving me $4 for Skyrim on PS4 about 2 months after it was released, never again.

No!  Never pre-order!  Why pay full price for something when you have NO idea what it's going to be like?  Look at watch dogs, it was a colossal LIE.

Also with the glory of PC gaming I never have to go back to gamestop again.  Last time I did was to sell a large amount of games I just didn't play anymore, they were planning on giving me $4 for Skyrim on PS4 about 2 months after it was released, never again.

Yea I learned my lesson with Conception II (was horrible and worth $15 1 week later).  However there's some things I know I'll like, or will play even if they're bad.  Smash Bros, Pokemon, and Persona 4 Ultimax for example.  Also, if there's a series I like and they're on the fence, I like to give my support. For example I'll be ordering the Limited Edition Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus because I want to see more games localized.  

I know I should have pre-ordered, but I wasn't in a rush to get it. It's not that big of a deal, since I know I can just buy it elsewhere, but I mostly made this topic because :P I wanted to rant how annoying they can be when they try to pass off a opened game as new.. and wondered if it happened to others. I usually just buy new games on amazon now, or if I'm really sure I want it, I do pre-order it ahead of time.

Amazon is poised to become far more evil than Gamestop could ever hope to be.

Anyway I just pre-order my games from this country's Gamestop equivalent. 

Yea I learned my lesson with Conception II (was horrible and worth $15 1 week later).  However there's some things I know I'll like, or will play even if they're bad.  Smash Bros, Pokemon, and Persona 4 Ultimax for example.  Also, if there's a series I like and they're on the fence, I like to give my support. For example I'll be ordering the Limited Edition Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus because I want to see more games localized.  

I'm not sure about Watch Dogs, but I think there was a demo available for Conception II.  I tried the demo, thinking it'd be fun since I tend to like those kinds of dating games... and strangely, I got creeped out by it. The concept is just sort of :/ gross to me for some reason? Using a harem of girls to make a bunch of kids to fight together in the dungeon... so you have a bunch of different kids from the different girls, and can have the mom & the dad run around with the kids following them like they are battle pets... eek.

I usually watch gameplay videos or play a demo before I decide to pre-order or buy a game.

I'm not sure about Watch Dogs, but I think there was a demo available for Conception II.  I tried the demo, thinking it'd be fun since I tend to like those kinds of dating games... and strangely, I got creeped out by it. The concept is just sort of :/ gross to me for some reason? Using a harem of girls to make a bunch of kids to fight together in the dungeon... so you have a bunch of different kids from the different girls, and can have the mom & the dad run around with the kids following them like they are battle pets... eek.

I usually watch gameplay videos or play a demo before I decide to pre-order or buy a game.

They could have made it funny, but I agree it just came off as creepy.  It wasn't the concept so much as the execution, since a lot of the lines where they tried to be funny just fell flat.  

I'd never pre-order for the same reasons Mevvrynne stated.

You are literally pre-ordering something you don't know what it looks like or if it has any issues.

How many games come out with bugs and performance issues and need to be patched right on the first day because the creators were too lazy to check for bugs?

And having tried demos is not an excuse because demos do not represent the finished product a lot of times.

That's why I'd never recommend someone to pre-order.

Sure it is a guarantee that you'll get the product as soon as it comes out and unadulterated. But that "unadulterated" might not be for the best a lot of times. I prefer having full knowledge about what my product is like before buying it.

The thing about Watch Dogs was first of all the footage from E3 was not the actual in-game footage upon release.  In fact it was tremendously down-scaled (people think it was to make console sales increase in proportion to the PC sales).  The sad thing was that the change was made AFTER the game was developed, so you can change it back to what it should have looked like in the first place, and the process of doing so was not announced by Ubisoft, but a third-party individual discovered it and shared it with us.

And an issue common with demos is that they are made to make the retail version look good, but in reality the retail version is far inferior to the demo.  It's difficult to trust developers who allow you to pre-order something at the full triple-A price ($60 or your regional equivalent) when they can't even offer a proper demo.

Fuck GameStop. I absolutely hate this company. It's a money-grubbing corporation that's a horrible business. They give you practically nothing when you trade games in, and there's almost no difference between price in new and used games. The condition that the sell these games in is usually abysmal too. I can think of a total of five times I had to use this store in the past couple of years.

*To buy Xenoblade Chronicles because for some asinine reason, it's a GameStop exclusive.

*To buy the Last Story, because it was the only place where I could get the promotional soundtrack.

*To buy a Wii U, because it was the only place offering pre-orders at the time.

*To get Virtue's Last Reward at the cheapest price. It was used, but this was the one time where I found a pre-owned game in this store in near-pristine condition. So I couldn't pass it up, and got it for around $30 with a coupon discount.

*To pre-order Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, because they have it at the cheapest price.

Other than these rare exceptions, I hardly buy anything from GameStop. The place I go to is a region-specific chain called the Exchange, which has everything from Atari to PS4. The prices are good, and they also have tons of movies and music too. I just wish that I didn't suffer from mental trauma in thinking about the woman who left me every time I went there since that was where our first date was. But yeah, that's another long story that I don't think anyone wants to hear.

I also frequent the exchange, although I found that for newer stuff I don't get much more money than Gamestop though.  But it is a great store (really helped me in selling off my old collections). 

I also frequent the exchange, although I found that for newer stuff I don't get much more money than Gamestop though.  But it is a great store (really helped me in selling off my old collections). 

You would honestly make a lot more through amazon or e-bay if you wanted to sell off your collections.  Gamestop's sole primary directive is to screw over everyone who walks through their doors.

You would honestly make a lot more through amazon or e-bay if you wanted to sell off your collections.  Gamestop's sole primary directive is to screw over everyone who walks through their doors.

So far anyway most of the the prices I've gotten at the Exchange are maybe 10% less than what I'd make on ebay which I'm willing to accept for no hassle.

So far anyway most of the the prices I've gotten at the Exchange are maybe 10% less than what I'd make on ebay which I'm willing to accept for no hassle.

I'd have to see what they would pay for some of the console games I have because I stopped giving a damn after they offered $4 for skyrim 2 months after it's release.

Sadly, where I live.. I don't think we have that store. Besides one other, I don't have much of a choice but to go to Gamestop since it has the widest selection of games in my area. Otherwise, I'd have to buy online especially if it's not popular, or not an action/sport game.