Just as the title says, in your opinion which route in Kanon is the best?

While all of them have strong writing and effectively use emotions to move the player, I think that my favorite one is the Shiori Misaka route. Her relationship with Yuuichi is very touching and I just love how they grow to care for one another through their daily interaction. Especially given the difficult circumstances Shiori faces, it was a roller coaster of a ride..

Any thoughts? Also don't forget to use the spoiler tag since ending details will probably be discussed.

I can't explain the reason very well, really... but I really loved the Nayuki route. If I have to give a reason, I'd be that in my opinion, Nayuki is the one that loves Yuuichi the most (yeah, her, not Ayu), and yearned for him the most.

Interesting. Perhaps it my view as a Westerner, but a relationship between first cousins just seems...weird.

Kanon 2006 was the first anime that really turned me into an anime fan, and Kanon was the first visual novel I ever played so this is going to be a long post...

While all of them have strong writing and effectively use emotions to move the player, I think that my favorite one is the Shiori Misaka route. 

Shiori was my favorite for a while but after having played and watched the VN and anime multiple times I have to say that Mai's route is the most thematically deep and interesting. Shiori's route ultimately boils down to a well written romance with a terminally ill girl, which has been done before. What I did like about this though was how self aware the VN was since Shiori watched and spoke about Soap Operas in the VN.

Mai's route on the other hand was simply fascinating and unique as Mai was battling with manifestations of her subconscious and memories of Yuichi (physically) through out the whole time. What's more her friend Sayuri who is externally the opposite of Mai is internally in the same state of emotional turmoil. I spent a lot of time thinking about Mai's route and Sayuri's sub route as I wrote a literary analysis about the complex relationship and similarities between Mai and Sayuri since they seem so different but are actually really really similar. I never finished because I had school and because I am a lazy writer. However, If people are interested in it I would gladly start the project again. One of the reasons I stopped writing it was because I felt no one cared aside from me. 

Kanon 2006 was the first anime that really turned me into an anime fan, and Kanon was the first visual novel I ever played so this is going to be a long post...

Shiori was my favorite for a while but after having played and watched the VN and anime multiple times I have to say that Mai's route is the most thematically deep and interesting. Shiori's route ultimately boils down to a well written romance with a terminally ill girl, which has been done before. What I did like about this though was how self aware the VN was since Shiori watched and spoke about Soap Operas in the VN.

Mai's route on the other hand was simply fascinating and unique as Mai was battling with manifestations of her subconscious and memories of Yuichi (physically) through out the whole time. What's more her friend Sayuri who is externally the opposite of Mai is internally in the same state of emotional turmoil. I spent a lot of time thinking about Mai's route and Sayuri's sub route as I wrote a literary analysis about the complex relationship and similarities between Mai and Sayuri since they seem so different but are actually really really similar. I never finished because I had school and because I am a lazy writer. However, If people are interested in it I would gladly start the project again. One of the reasons I stopped writing it was because I felt no one cared aside from me. 

Colour me interested, I'd love to read an analysis of Kanon or Mai's route specifically.

Colour me interested, I'd love to read an analysis of Kanon or Mai's route specifically.

I think that since there are so few analysis of VNs out there, it'd be a great idea. For the website that I write for, the Punk Effect, I was planning on doing a visual novel feature. I just haven't had the time.

Sorry, I meant to respond to you guys sooner but my internet wouldn't allow me to access fuwanovel for the last two days. Anyway, give me a week or two and I should have it written up. 

Good to know I'm not the only one that liked Shiori the best. Even if it was full of cliches, Shiori was such a likable character that I didn't really care. It's been a few years since I played or watched Kanon, so I can't remember any details, but she was and still is my favorite. Makoto's route had a pretty big impact on me too though, although I wasn't as big a fan of her as a character.

This is my favorite: 

Umineko_no_Naku_Koro_ni_cover.jpg

Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

That took me a second... good one.  :D

Actually, now that you mention it, I suppose this is actually my favourite Kanon route:

vwmALPV.jpg

Not really, but I had to keep the joke going

Actually that was a pretty good route too. She was actually my favorite route in G-Senjou, even more than Haru's. (I feel like I'm going to get lynched for saying that now).

Reminds me that I'm eventually going to have to read Umineko. I'm on the last arc of Higurashi. I started reading that back in May 2013, and after several delays, am STILL reading it. I think this is longer than any book I've ever read.

Well, Umineko is probably around 30-50 hour mark(maybe per 4 episodes(Umineko and Chiru serapately). however, I heard that fate/stay night actually takes 110+ hours which means it takes probably longer to read than any encyclopedia at hand  :P