Hello Everynyan

Boon

Figured I've been lurking long enough. Guess it's time to introduce myself.

I'm a 24 year old Chinese Singaporean college grad. A year ago, I got out of national conscription for the army, but after that, I kinda drifted through life aimlessly like a typical VN main character, waiting for that next move in my life... haha Minus the harem.

My interests are pretty average; anime and movies, with the occasional comic books and VNs. My favorite anime is Madoka Magica. My favorite movies are The Dark Knight, V For Vendetta, Watchmen, Scream (the first one), and Cabin in the Woods. Favorite genres of stories are superhero, psychological, and comedy, though I also enjoy the occasional Sci-Fi.

And as for my visual novel tastes, I prefer the more non-linear ones with lots of choices, a branching storyline, non-nukige, and a good story to tell. As long as it fits those categories, I'd definitely try it out, which isn't saying much because many VNs are linear and don't really have the other routes 'unlocked' till you play through the other routes (like Fate/Stay Night). If I were to take a prime example of the type of VN I'd like, it'd be either School Days or Clannad, both of which gave me the freedom to roam around the story universe with the freedom of choice (and School Days' high-end animation really helped). Recently, however, I've been forcing myself to try out the more linear ones that aren't as 'flexible', like Fate/Stay Night and Grisaia no Kajitsu, the latter of which I'm currently reading.

Aside from Grisaia, which I've completed Michiru's route and am currently on Amane's route (which seems to have a very lengthy 'Angelic Howl' from what I could see in a list of chapters posted by somebody online), I'm also reading through Katawa Shoujo as well, flipping between that and Grisaia in between routes. For Katawa, I've completed the Emi, Rin, and Hanako routes, of the three I liked Rin's character the most. I also recently got myself the regular version of Da Capo (since the Plus Comm version isn't fully translated). From what I've heard, it's a slice-of-life story the likes of Shuffle (of which I didn't really enjoy...), and I've also heard some negative things about the blend storyline, but I guess I'll try it out to see how it goes (since it does have lots of choices, after all).

In terms of completed VNs, you could check out my VNDB profile to find out more, but the more notable ones are Fate/Stay Night (which kinda left a bad taste for me due to the shoddy writing of my favorite character, Saber), Clannad, Saya no Uta, School Days (I prefer Sekai over Kotonoha), and Yume Miru Kusuri (Nekoko's my favorite girl in that one). I also completed Thousand Dollar Soul, but that one's kinda short. As you can see, I'm still pretty much a novice when it comes to VNs. I'm not an avid reader, and I prefer anime over manga, but I'm willing to give VNs a shot since they do contain a bunch of good stories (even with the harem genre considered).

So, yup, that's me. Hope to see you around the forums and all that. :)

And yet you dropped Kanon. D: It fits every category!

Actually, I dropped Kanon because I've already watched the 2006 anime. In fact, I've gone through just about every of Key's stories, including Air (which I've only watched the anime and movie) and Little Busters (read through the VN and watched the anime, but since the 'EXtasy' portion of the VN isn't properly translated yet, I've put it on hold). The only Key story I haven't gone through completely so far is Rewrite... I don't really like the new movement Key's taken with their VNs, not to mention that Kotori's route was a pain.

On another note, Clannad didn't receive the same treatment from me, even though I had watched the anime before reading through the VN. This was probably because I found Clannad more entertaining than Kanon, so it didn't feel like a chore going through the story a second time.

Welcome to the party Boon! :D We've talked a bit I think. You should definitely try finish rewrite. You should try out Ever 17 too if you want. however both of these have the true route which kind of makes things linearish? 

Welcome to the party Boon! :D We've talked a bit I think. You should definitely try finish rewrite. You should try out Ever 17 too if you want. however both of these have the true route which kind of makes things linearish? 

I'll probably give Rewrite another shot in the future. The word is that even the final routes, Moon and Terra, weren't all that appealing in their own way, so I kinda stayed away because of those rumors (as well as negative feedback of Akane's route).

As for Ever17... That's kinda a mixed bag for me as well. My problem with it isn't so much the linearity, but because of how blend the first several hours of the story was (I kinda hate stories that force you to grind through the beginning to 'get to the good part'), so I didn't really know if it's really worth it to get to the ending that many gave praise for. Also, the convoluted mind-screw nature of the story didn't help much in attracting me...

But I guess those aren't really legitimate reasons in staying away from either VNs if you think about it, especially Ever17. Many people did claim that Ever17 was well-worth a story to read through after all, so I'd undoubtedly check it out eventually.

The only Key story I haven't gone through completely so far is Rewrite... I don't really like the new movement Key's taken with their VNs, not to mention that Kotori's route was a pain.

It is a real shame. After playing all of Key's games, I found Rewrite by far my favorite. In fact, it is my favorite VN of all time. Although I absolutely hated Kotori.

Oh, also, hello, welcome to FuwaForums. I'm new here too. Haven't been here for more that a week.

I hope we may get along.

Have a music video, just because.

Oh, also, hello, welcome to FuwaForums. I'm new here too. Haven't been here for more that a week. I hope we may get along.

Have a music video, just because.

Hah, thanks. I hope we get along too, as well as with everyone else. I actually don't feel very enthusiastic about being around forums these days due to personal reasons, but it's still nice to have a handful of friendly people hanging around.

Am reading Grisaia now; currently on Amane's route. I heard good things about G-Senjou (and Muv-Luv), so I'll go and put that on my VN wishlist as well.

I don't know about Muv-Luv, a lot of people say Muv-Luv is bad but you need to play it to understand the plot of Muv-Luv Alternative, which is apparently one of the greatest VNs of all time. Therefore, I'm stuck watching robots battle in still motion. Though the heroine is one of the best I've ever seen.

On a side note, have you played through Lucia and Shizuru's routes in Rewrite yet?

On a side note, have you played through Lucia and Shizuru's routes in Rewrite yet?

Heh, I'm afraid not. I only got to what little of Chihaya's route after finally getting through Kotori's route before I dropped the VN entirely. Those are the only two routes I had gotten to so far. Though to be fair, I didn't really drop the VN out of despising the story or anything... It's just that I had better things to do during that time (anime, for one thing). I was a much more casual VN reader, so it wasn't surprising that my tolerance for VNs was pretty low back then.

Heh, I'm afraid not. I only got to what little of Chihaya's route after finally getting through Kotori's route before I dropped the VN entirely. Those are the only two routes I had gotten to so far. Though to be fair, I didn't really drop the VN out of despising the story or anything... It's just that I had better things to do during that time (anime, for one thing). I was a much more casual VN reader, so it wasn't surprising that my tolerance for VNs was pretty low back then.

Please continue the VN. I assure you, Kotori's route is the worst of the five. Chihaya's route is interesting, and a bit cute,

but she'll never love you.

Akane's route IS disappointing, I guess. But for me, Lucia and Shizuru's routes are unmatched by any other VN. This is partly why I've given Rewrite a rating of 9/10. You absolutely must try them. I assure you, they're worth your time.

Please continue the VN. I assure you, Kotori's route is the worst of the five. Chihaya's route is interesting, and a bit cute,

but she'll never love you.

Akane's route IS disappointing, I guess. But for me, Lucia and Shizuru's routes are unmatched by any other VN. This is partly why I've given Rewrite a rating of 9/10. You absolutely must try them. I assure you, they're worth your time.

Huh... you don't say. Well, if you put it that way, I'll certainly continue the tradition of following Key's stories, but I'm afraid the reading will still have to come much later, since I have a bunch of VNs lined up that I want to get out of the way first - Grisaia, Katawa, Da Capo, Kana: Imouto, and of course, G-Senjou. I might put off G-Senjou after I finish Rewrite, but I'll just have to see how the mood strikes. :P

Huh... you don't say. Well, if you put it that way, I'll certainly continue the tradition of following Key's stories, but I'm afraid the reading will still have to come much later, since I have a bunch of VNs lined up that I want to get out of the way first - Grisaia, Katawa, Da Capo, Kana: Imouto, and of course, G-Senjou. I might put off G-Senjou after I finish Rewrite, but I'll just have to see how the mood strikes. :P

G-SNM is a great VN. I believe I've also given it a 9/10 on VNDB. It combines elements so perfectly, and none of the routes disappoint. Of course, it helps that NONE OF THE ROUTES ARE LOCKED (Message to Key). Not only that, when you take the choices, you get to see the full repercussions of your actions. Actually, I might have given it a 10/10, now that I think about it.

I do not think this is a spoiler, so

I recommend going for Tsubaki first and Haru last. It's the best order.

Edit: Yeah, G-SNM has a 10/10 on my VNDB.

Of course, it helps that NONE OF THE ROUTES ARE LOCKED (Message to Key). Not only that, when you take the choices, you get to see the full repercussions of your actions.

Really? Those two are major plusses for me personally. I mean, despite getting somewhat used to linear reading by now, it's nice to see this kind of CYOA VN that weighs your decisions against the story.

On an off-topic note, I have to say that linear 'true end' type of VNs do have major advantages over their non-linear counterparts. Take Kanon for example. With the freedom to decide which route you feel to be the 'one true route' instead of having the creator decide it for you, you're left with the typical harem VN unfortunate implication that four out of five girls are going to be left in despair because you didn't 'save' them. This flaw bothered me the most in Fate/Stay Night (especially with the way Saber was handled in Heaven's Feel), and it almost bothered me in Grisaia because of the way Michiru was written in the other routes, but for the latter case, I'm thankful that the sequel is a combination of all the heroines' good ends.

With all that said, Key's later games like Clannad and Little Busters are shining exceptions of how multiple route stories should be done. MAJOR props for that one. This is also one reason why Key's VNs are easily converted into anime, because the overarching storyline isn't really focused on any single one route but the entire game as a whole (Little Busters as a prime example... which makes even less sense how JC Staff managed to screw up on that one).

If you like linear VN, I recommend Sekien No Inganock. It's the best linear VN I've ever played.

lol I said that I like the unambiguity of linear VNs that don't have the uncomfortable implications of harem non-linear VNs, not that I like linear VNs as a whole. Little Busters, for example, removed such ambiguity despite being a non-linear VN. Clannad too, but LB! definitely did a more stellar job.

Thanks for the recommendation though, but I'm still barely getting my feet wet with non-linear VNs with 'few choices', so I'm probably not going to get used to full-blown linearity any time soon. :P