Favorite Video Games of all Time (Excluding VNs)

solidbatman

These are what immediately came to mind, though I'm sure I'm neglecting so many games.

In no particular order:

1. Stars Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  2. Pokemon (series): I know It's a cop out, but I truly can't pick my favorite generation.
  3. Final Fantasy X
  4. Persona 4 (very hard to choose between 3/4)
  5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Honorable Mention:

Catherine

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Street Fighter (series)

These are what immediately came to mind, though I'm sure I'm neglecting so many games.

In no particular order:

1. Stars Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  2. Pokemon (series): I know It's a cop out, but I truly can't pick my favorite generation.
  3. Final Fantasy X
  4. Persona 4 (very hard to choose between 3/4)
  5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Honorable Mention:

Catherine

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Street Fighter (series)

One of these days, I'll get around to KotOR, and it better be the best Star Wars game ever with all the hype around it.

One of these days, I'll get around to KotOR, and it better be the best Star Wars game ever with all the hype around it.

I would without a doubt say it is, even if I try to filter out all the nostalgia involving it. Living up to a decade wide legacy is probably a different thing, though. Between the hype it's built up and its age, it might fall short of expectations. The story and it's characterization is fantastic however, especially for Star Wars.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of Persona 3 I see. Do you guys like 3 over 4?

As far as the story and characters go Persona 3 is better. The only thing that really gives Persona 4 a slight edge is the interfere. It's easier to get from one point to another plus you can follow up attacks etc. It's a shame that we never got both Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment together because in all honesty Persona 2 is better than both of them in terms of story, characters, everything. If you ever get the chance you should really check it out. Just don't expect any of that "one more" "weak" stuff Persona 2 is old school.

As far as the story and characters go Persona 3 is better. The only thing that really gives Persona 4 a slight edge is the interfere. It's easier to get from one point to another plus you can follow up attacks etc. It's a shame that we never got both Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment together because in all honesty Persona 2 is better than both of them in terms of story, characters, everything. If you ever get the chance you should really check it out. Just don't expect any of that "one more" "weak" stuff Persona 2 is old school.

I played around 11 hours or so of Persona 2 IS and was really enjoying it. Its one of those games I was enjoying, set it down and forgot to keep playing.

I played around 11 hours or so of Persona 2 IS and was really enjoying it. Its one of those games I was enjoying, set it down and forgot to keep playing.

Well the thing about Innocent Sin is that it's just the part 1 of the series Eternal Punishment is the second part. So it's essentially 2 games in one sort of speak. So you have to play both games to really get the whole story. It's also harder in all honesty Persona 3 aned 4 are pretty easy once you know what everybody is weak against. The only challenge comes from negating the weakness of your party members and once you do that it's a cake walk. Save for maybe the final boss in Persona 4 that was fairly difficult.

Well the thing about Innocent Sin is that it's just the part 1 of the series Eternal Punishment is the second part. So it's essentially 2 games in one sort of speak. So you have to play both games to really get the whole story. It's also harder in all honesty Persona 3 aned 4 are pretty easy once you know what everybody is weak against. The only challenge comes from negating the weakness of your party members and once you do that it's a cake walk. Save for maybe the final boss in Persona 4 that was fairly difficult.

Luckily I have both for when I do dive back into it. Yeah, the earlier Persona titles have more in common with the early SMT games, especially the first Persona. 

Luckily I have both for when I do dive back into it. Yeah, the earlier Persona titles have more in common with the early SMT games, especially the first Persona. 

Yeah one of the things I loved was that characters from the original Persona actually appear in Persona 2. I for some reason love it when games do that. It makes the world seem bigger to me and adds depth.

5- Metal gear 4!

4- Dark souls (Prepare to die edition)

3- X-com: Enemy unknown (Yea i like the new one aswell) 

2- Persona 4!

1- Cant decide between final fantasy X (X2 was a bit.... Pink for my taste) or Persona 3! (FES)

I love alot of my games so this took like forever to get a reasonable answer ^_^

• 2 months later...

5. Metal slug (tie between X and 3)

4. Fallout 3

3. Persona 3

2. Fatal Frame 3 (never played 1 or 2)

1. Nier

Honorable mentions:

God Hand

Catherine

DMC 1 and 3

Resident Evil 4

Yakuza series

Soul Caliber 2 (gamecube)

Guilty Gear series

Chrono Trigger

River City Ransom

Legend of Zelda series

Super Smash Bros (nintendo 64)

Psychonauts

Okami

Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4

Radiata Stories

I just noticed a lot of my favorite games are the third in their respective series.

5.  F.E.A.R. 

4.  Final Fantasy VIII

3.  Chrono Trigger  

2.  Battlefield:  Bad Company 2

1.  Mass Effect 2

Some people might question why F.E.A.R. is on there, because it really isn't THAT good of a game.  It's on there because I loved the nightmarish plot behind it (even if it is just utterly ridiculous).

Final Fantasy VIII remains my favorite single-player final fantasy game to date, and it deserves a spot on my list

Chrono Trigger....my god I have more hours of Chrono Trigger than Skyrim, just a damn good game.

Bad Company 2 was my single favorite first-person shooter of all time, period.

And yes Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game of all time.  Great gunplay, great sequel to the first game in terms of story, and you get to romance Tali.

Here's my top 5 in no particular order:

Dota 2 (if only because I've spent nearly 2.5k hours in it)

Star Control 2 The Ur-Quan Masters (a game that's older than me that I still play from time to time)

Minecraft (I still find myself coming back to it every now and again)

Persona 3 Portable (not only is it a great game, but it also started the series of events that lead to me discovering VNs)

Terraria (couldn't think of anything better, and it's certainly a great game that I've spent a lot of time playing)

Great thread! Here are my top five........... wow okay this is actually pretty hard :P:

1. Doom

2. Mass Effect (entire series cop out style)

3. Sailor Moon: Another Story

4. Bubble Bobble

5. Elevator Action

These probably change from time to time but I'm sure that'll apply to a lot of folks :).

5.  F.E.A.R. 

4.  Final Fantasy VIII

3.  Chrono Trigger  

2.  Battlefield:  Bad Company 2

1.  Mass Effect 2

Some people might question why F.E.A.R. is on there, because it really isn't THAT good of a game.  It's on there because I loved the nightmarish plot behind it (even if it is just utterly ridiculous).

Final Fantasy VIII remains my favorite single-player final fantasy game to date, and it deserves a spot on my list

Chrono Trigger....my god I have more hours of Chrono Trigger than Skyrim, just a damn good game.

Bad Company 2 was my single favorite first-person shooter of all time, period.

And yes Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game of all time.  Great gunplay, great sequel to the first game in terms of story, and you get to romance Tali.

Fear was the second game that made me jump and throw my keyboard (that Alma) so why not XD~

• 2 weeks later...

Lol my PC is broken so I'm posting this from a different place :/

I can't make a top 5 but I can list those 5 in no order.

-Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki FC (played Trails in the Sky Translation, I want to play SC... but just wait until I list ZnK and you'll see why I won't until TL)

-Ys II Complete Edition

-Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (played in JP... didn't understand a SHIT, so I'm waiting for a Fan TL or XSEED >_>)

-Tales of Symphonia 

-Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (DIDN'T finish it, so far I've put 8 hours in it only TODAY, and I've enjoyed it as much as my first time playing Sora no Kiseki FC, so it deserves a spot)

Honorable Mentions:

-Ys Memories of Celceta

-Eiyuu Densetsu: Ao no Kiseki (played until Chap 4, then realized I was just hurting myself from playing something I didn't understand, and spoiling me cause I didn't complete SnK saga)

-Tears to Tiara 

-Tales of the Abyss

-Tales of Phantasia

-Zwei II+ (this... I completed it in just two days and... well, enjoyed it xD)

-Ys Seven (it wasn't the best nor the worst, but it just... didn't feel like a really good game to fit the Top, but still enjoyable, and by no means I'm lying, just come and see my savegame of 200 hours with every char at Lv. 99)

-Star Ocean: First Evolution

-Star Ocean: Second Evolution (lol, the two games here, didn't get chance to play third still sadly)

-Ys Origin

And that's about it, every other mention I didn't put is because it doesn't fit in that another Top 10 Honorable Mentions, but I'll tell you this:

I LIKE LOTS OF J-RPGs, meaning that every game here I did like, and maybe some of those which I didn't count... I also liked :3

Ummm,

There was a time when I loved Runescape, so for how long that lasted I might as well list it (haters gonna hate, most of us have been there though)

-Diablo II LoD

-Fire Emblem (hard to choose between the game boy advance one and the GCN one)

-Yoshi's Island (the SNES one(s))

-Donkey Kong Country

-MarioKart (N64 is amazing + nostalgic, but the mechanics of Wii were very refined and also great)

Extra: Super Smash Bros Melee And Starcraft Brood War (II is also good)

-Dumped a LOT of time into Leauge of Legends and had good fun with it, but I dont think I would list it on my top in terms of quality at all... I just dont play many games haha

This is by no means the list I wanted to see, but I didnt have the machinery growing up to play Playstation games, and I didnt understand what I wanted until too late to get into The Final Fantasy/Tales of/Jrpg/Rpg titles of glory. Sadness u.u

1. Tales of Phantasia (It's funny, because I would never have picked it up if I saw it today- I never play games with really fantasy-heavy settings anymore. But fourth grade me saw the GBA version on clearance at Target not too long after getting into anime, bought it, and got hooked on RPGs.)

2.Persona 3 Portable (Yes, more Persona 3 love. I honestly plowed through the entire game within a month of buying it a couple years back, because I couldn't put it down.)

3. Corpse Party (kind of a visual novel, but I'll go ahead and put it here too since there is some gameplay. I was blown away by this one.)

4. eXceed 3 (PC bullet hell game. Fact: this is my favorite non-vn genre.)

5. Guitar Hero 3 (I haven't played it in years, but back in the day this was my addiction.)

Edit: 3 games out of my 5 are the third game in their series. I wish I had planned that.

• 2 weeks later...

• Metal Gear Solid 4 (A perfect game judging every single aspect of it.)
  • Full Throttle  (eternal Tim Schaffer fan here. I just love his games. Broken Age is coming!)
  • The Secret Of Monkey Island (Like i said,Tim Schaffer dude. Nuff' said.)
  • Suikoden II (the best jRPG i played. Ever. All that i look up in a game,and then some.)
  • Farcry 3  (Check this one out. Another 10/10.)

And those another ones almost made it:

All GTA's, specially 4 when it comes to plot.  (Dan Houser it a BEAST writing the whole GTA universe)

Mass Effect I & II (EA ruined the final entry. Not a surprise.)

Bioshock: Infinite (This is art. Pure art.)

Dragon Age: Origins (sadly,another franchise ruined by EA.)

Persona 5 (best Persona cast ever assembled on my opinion.)

WWE wrestling games (I just love it. Spent dozens n' dozens of hours on it.)

Football Manager franchise (Just honoring the heritage.)

I've been gaming since Master Sytem! ;)